Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am basing my opinion on the reaction on the Reddit general college basketball board, which at the least is a way more intelligent board than the Yard.

Nothing better than agreeing with the Reddit general college basketball forums reaction. What did 4chan think about it? Also need buzzfeeds opinion.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but this IS a big deal. The scholarship reduction in and of itself is huge. Cuse essentially will be able to recruit one, maybe two kids per year, because they will only be able to have 10 scholarshp plays from 2016-2020.

That should mean that in a few years, the team starts to fall off, because no big time recruits are going to want to go there. There will be so much negative recruiting against Cuse, I just can't see top 25 guys still going there.

That then leads to the trickle down effect of less talented players, and the self-inflicting cycle of a second tier program. Add Boeheim leaving, coaching uncertainty, and the fact that it is Syracuse for g-d's sake, this could be very bad for Cuse. It may not be immediate, but the dominoes are in place. I was hoping for a post-season ban next year, because that would likely have caused their 15 recruits to bail, but this will hurt them big-time, it may just be a slower bleed.

You are assuming the scholarship reduction will not be reduced on appeal.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I doubt it.

There's a reason Hopkins has been chasing jobs over the past couple of years.

Perhaps he read Calipari's book - leave before the s hit hits the fan.

Reaction Score
It is comical that people think this was a harsh penalty. No future post season ban means this was a slap on the wrist. In fact, it makes college basketball a joke. Did you see what they did?!?! Yeah, they deserved the death penalty and more. The scholarship reductions will have no impact on the talent level they put on the floor. Unlike Kentucky, they only get so many great players with the max being one at each position. After that, they get decent players. Of those decent players, only a couple ever play. They will still find two decent subs out of the 5 second tier recruits they will get. And if they actually end up with a dud where they thought they got a stud, they WILL boot out one of their second tier players to make room. This has nearly zero effect on the talent they will put on the floor. A post season ban would have caused their recruits to bail on them as well as current players. THAT would have hurt. This is a joke, considering what they did. I care less and less about this sport every year. The sport is filthy from the coaches to the NCAA itself and UConn gets screwed for being honest.

Reaction Score
It's going to hurt the next coach of Syracuse more than the current one.

This is the most damaging aspect of the penalties in my view. SU is stuck with Hopkins now for better or most likely worse. No sought after coach is going to follow Boeheim with these recruiting anchors. Maybe they would not have before, but the chances are far slimmer now.

Reaction Score
It's really easy to lose site of Jim Boeheim's complete legacy when you boil him down to the fact that he's lead 15 years of cheating in his program, but let's not forget that there's more to him than that. Yes, he oversaw two major NCAA penalties and when you add up the years of impact, his penalized periods may in fact be longer than his non penalized periods.

That being said, on the other side of the coin, this is also a man who is being sued for slandering two victims of sexual abuse that occurred around his program in an attempt to protect a pedophile and his reputation.

So let's not try to box him in as one thing or another.

The perfect post?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It is comical that people think this was a harsh penalty. No future post season ban means this was a slap on the wrist. In fact, it makes college basketball a joke. Did you see what they did?!?! Yeah, they deserved the death penalty and more. The scholarship reductions will have no impact on the talent level they put on the floor. Unlike Kentucky, they only get so many great players with the max being one at each position. After that, they get decent players. Of those decent players, only a couple ever play. They will still find two decent subs out of the 5 second tier recruits they will get. And if they actually end up with a dud where they thought they got a stud, they WILL boot out one of their second tier players to make room. This has nearly zero effect on the talent they will put on the floor. A post season ban would have caused their recruits to bail on them as well as current players. THAT would have hurt. This is a joke, considering what they did. I care less and less about this sport every year. The sport is filthy from the coaches to the NCAA itself and UConn gets screwed for being honest.
The P5 is committing to full 4 year scholarships rather than the renewable each year ones currently in place. This will make it tougher to jettison the kids who don't work out.

Reaction Score

agreed, the punishment is a joke , the only thing it hurt is maybe Bohiems ego, and only just a little.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Since we're still in the AAC, I can't really take much joy in this.
Since we're still in the AAC, I'll take joy wherever I can find it. Nyah nyah, orange losers.

Reaction Score
The P5 is committing to full 4 year scholarships rather than the renewable each year ones currently in place. This will make it tougher to jettison the kids who don't work out.

When will this go into effect? This would be a hugely important issue.

pj

Reaction Score
This was tougher on the university (paying back credits, money that has already been spent by the athletics program) than past punishments, but easier on the athletic program. UConn has been playing this year with 11 scholarship players so while it's hard to be a champion with only 10 schollies, you can stay competitive and survive.

Their program will decline, but primarily because of Boeheim's retirement, which will just happen to coincide with the start of punishments.

I was really hoping they would keep them out of the tourney next year on top of the other punishments, so that players would be released and Malachi Richardson might switch to us. But, I'm not surprised the penalty wasn't that harsh.

Reaction Score
@temery can you make the Cuse violations board public just for an hour? Say 11pm to 12 midnight tonight? Just for reading of course. Nobody has to know. We'll all pretend it never happened, nobody will post about it.

I have an account over there. They are very concerned and angry for the most part.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I have an account over there. They are very concerned and angry for the most part.
post-53373-peter-griffin-go-on-meme-Imgur-r74t.gif

Reaction Score
Who knows if the NCAA came down hard or not, no one knows what the actual violations were? I think the Cuse got off easy, I bet there was some real fraudulent activity there for a long time (as I recall, the period under investigation was 2001-2013 and the NCAA investigation took 7 years to complete).

I'm comparing it to an APR punishment. Take their academic nonqualifiers, stick them into the APR formula, and what do you get? Multiple schollie losses and probation.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
This times a million.

90% of this board was not going to be happy unless Cuse got the death penalty, some people are even arguing our NCAA sanctions were worse. It is comical.

Untrue.

A postseason ban next year was warranted, at the very least.

What's our prism for viewing this? UConn's APR punishment.

Reaction Score
Slap on the wrist. The money laundering through the YMCA should of gotten them a perma ban.

Still haven't heard all the details about that money trail.

Reaction Score
Untrue.

A postseason ban next year was warranted, at the very least.

What's our prism for viewing this? UConn's APR punishment.
You do realize this and the APR are completely different?

This is not a APR violation, which results in a 1 year ban btw, this is a NCAA violation for lack of institutional control. APR has nothing to do with drug testing, impressible benefits, or academic fraud.

Cuse got much harsher penalties then we did from the NCAA, and they did much worse.

Reaction Score

Actually, the SEC is fighting this.

Reaction Score
You do realize this and the APR are completely different?

This is not a APR violation, which results in a 1 year ban btw, this is a NCAA violation for lack of institutional control. APR has nothing to do with drug testing, impressible benefits, or academic fraud.

Cuse got much harsher penalties then we did from the NCAA, and they did much worse.

APR has nothing to do with academic fraud.

Is that what you just wrote?

Reaction Score

"Brilliant coaching. What a resilient program fighting back from the ashes! They were written off by everyone."
Get ready.

Reaction Score
APR has nothing to do with academic fraud.

Is that what you just wrote?
Sorry to burst your prism.

The academic fraud in Cuse's findings is not the same as what the APR, I know you know this, or at least I hope you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom