Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One thing to add: the NCAA wants Cuse to pay back all NCAA credits from multiple years in the BE.

That's pretty substantial, no? $1.5m per year?

The school could take a $5-7m hit on this. That's a lot of money for a school.
This may be a dumb question, but where does the money go? To the NCAA? To the conference to be redistributed?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Only 'Cuse Fans think that holding oneself out of a tournament they wouldn't qualify for in the first place is appropriate for 15 years of academic, financial, and "recreational" violations.

poll

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Infractions go back to 2001 yet they only begin reducing wins from 04-05...

They negotiated the start date of when to start sanctioning themselves and vacate wins for the use of ineligible players to May 4, 2003. How convenient.

Reaction Score
First impact:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/thomas...as-syracuse-penalties-complicate-recruitment/

And with the NCAA penalties levied against Syracuse, the Orange cannot add anyone who hasn’t already signed a National Letter of Intent. Syracuse already has a four-man class signed for 2015-16.

“That means Syracuse’s recruitment of Thomas Bryant, a highly-regarded player in the 2015 class, is all but over,” according to Mike Waters of Syracuse.com. “Bryant, a 6-9 center from Rochester, has yet to make his decision. Syracuse would not be able to get a waiver of the scholarship reduction to bring him in. As a result, Syracuse would need four players to leave in order to sign Bryant.”

Bryant had narrowed his list to Syracuse, Kentucky, Indiana and Missouri.

Linda Bryant, Thomas’ mother, recently told Syracuse.com that Syracuse and Indiana were the leaders for her son.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Syracuse ESPN radio guys are suggesting that they ask scholarship players on the end of their bench to transfer to accommodate him.

Because that wouldn't be unethical at all. Then again, Syracuse doesn't do ethics.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2m2 minutes ago
"The scholarship reductions probably mean Syracuse's pursuit of 2016 recruit Tyus Battle is over." @MikeWatersSYR . Battle had cut to 7.

Yet the Boneyard tries to say the scholly reduction means nothing because they only play 7-8 guys ha
If they want Battle they will find a way. Battle might not choose them, but it wont be because of Scholarship reduction. They would push someone out for Black Mamba in a heartbeat, dont kid yourself here.

Reaction Score

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
But the lack of a postseason was a reason for Roscoe's leaving
I'm sure it played into it, but I'm not sure you can make a blanket statement on something he's never talked about, to the best of my knowledge.

Reaction Score
I thought they'd be hit a tad harder. Losing 3 scholarships a year is nothing to sniff at. I want to see how many wins Boeheim loses and if any of those games lead to any title or FF being vacated. I want to see how much money is paid back. I think at least another year of post season ban is in order.

There was a decade's worth of violations that followed a pattern and may very well be the definition of "lack of institutional control". They should have gotten their ass kicked harder, IMO.
Has there been a more corrupt hoops program in history than Boeheim's Fruit? Honest question.

Yes North Carolina!

Reaction Score
If they want Battle they will find a way. Battle might not choose them, but it wont be because of Scholarship reduction. They would push someone out for Black Mamba in a heartbeat, dont kid yourself here.
Yes, every scholly is just for a year, so technically they can force everyone out. Cuse does not have a scholly right now for them, they need to get rid of 2 guys in fact for that year.

You think Battle is going to sign into that situation?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Did the NCAA effectively end Big Time Division 1 College Basketball in up state New York? Could be getting a glimpse of the Syracuse Basketball machine, post-Boeheim.

Reaction Score
Whelp! This fits into my personal thoughts that whatever happened to Syracuse would be light enough that when it comes time to punish UNC, that although their punishment will be incrementally harsher, it still won't be so harsh as to completely and devastatingly gut and destroy their program to a near unrecoverable state. So thats why I'm guessing we don't see another year of banishment from postseason play for Cuse. What I'm guessing will happen is that UNC will see similar parameters of punishment (loss of recruiting privileges, scholly reductions) with an additional year, hopefully two, of postseason play bans. When really what would have been befitting would be Cuse seeing a postseason ban next year (effectively making it two years in a row) and UNC seeing at least three years worth.

Reaction Score
It always seemed to me that the Syracuse knowledgeable fan KNEW that Boeheim ran a very loose program. I thought Calhoun (and we can cite a couple examples) saw the line & tried to keep ahead of the latest tricks in recruiting (ie. Rudy Gay); therefore, we got painted with some of the pointy fingers on what SHOULDN'T happen. In contrast, Boeheim just was far too old school in thought & seemingly had no sense of control (and didn't think he had to oversee some of this) over many many aspects of what is the modern construct warranted by today's enforcement by the NCAA. This is everything. Graft and Crime in a stew with significant repeated Academic fraud with a bunch of booster excess to spice it up.

Further, Calhoun REACHED for the single mom kids & often tried to be Father Flanagan. We had some misses there. Boeheim grabbed kids that have proven to just be tough moral choices. And, you get the sex, drugs and slapping.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I am basing my opinion on the reaction on the Reddit general college basketball board, which at the least is a way more intelligent board than the Yard.
lol no they're not, not even close

Reaction Score
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but this IS a big deal. The scholarship reduction in and of itself is huge. Cuse essentially will be able to recruit one, maybe two kids per year, because they will only be able to have 10 scholarshp plays from 2016-2020.

That should mean that in a few years, the team starts to fall off, because no big time recruits are going to want to go there. There will be so much negative recruiting against Cuse, I just can't see top 25 guys still going there.

That then leads to the trickle down effect of less talented players, and the self-inflicting cycle of a second tier program. Add Boeheim leaving, coaching uncertainty, and the fact that it is Syracuse for g-d's sake, this could be very bad for Cuse. It may not be immediate, but the dominoes are in place. I was hoping for a post-season ban next year, because that would likely have caused their 15 recruits to bail, but this will hurt them big-time, it may just be a slower bleed.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Is it bad that I am still jealous of them being in the ACC? It seems like when it comes to timing of bad news UConn always has their bad days at the worst possible time, meanwhile Cuse is already firmly in the ACC and has no worries, even with these sanctions. Every single game in the AAC feels like we are on probation as it is.

Reaction Score
A large section of this board admits to not watching college basketball outside of UCONN. Enough said.
This times a million.

90% of this board was not going to be happy unless Cuse got the death penalty, some people are even arguing our NCAA sanctions were worse. It is comical.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but this IS a big deal. The scholarship reduction in and of itself is huge. Cuse essentially will be able to recruit one, maybe two kids per year, because they will only be able to have 10 scholarshp plays from 2016-2020.

That should mean that in a few years, the team starts to fall off, because no big time recruits are going to want to go there. There will be so much negative recruiting against Cuse, I just can't see top 25 guys still going there.

That then leads to the trickle down effect of less talented players, and the self-inflicting cycle of a second tier program. Add Boeheim leaving, coaching uncertainty, and the fact that it is Syracuse for g-d's sake, this could be very bad for Cuse. It may not be immediate, but the dominoes are in place. I was hoping for a post-season ban next year, because that would likely have caused their 15 recruits to bail, but this will hurt them big-time, it may just be a slower bleed.

This.

The scholarhsip reduction means they have zero room for error on recruits not playing to their potential, injuries or any other attrition. Plus, it affects practices and scrimmages, less talent to practice against, less room to rest injured players during the season.

Two or more scholarhsip losses plus the recruiting restrictions is huge. Much more damaging long term than a single year ban from the tourney.

Plus the school has to return tournament money, vacate the wins and have the permanant stain of two separate major NCAA punishments during his career.

It's big.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA devised a way to make it sound like major punishment (12 is a big number, and 4 years sounds like a long time), while still limiting the discomfort they will have to endure. They didn't have their one title wiped, which would have cost them quite a bit of cash, as well as embarrassment. They didn't get any meaningful post season ban.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Also, the effect on hiring a new coach in a couple years is very big

Haven't they already committed to whasisname being the next HC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom