Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Has there been a more corrupt hoops program in history than Boeheim's Fruit? Honest question.

Reaction Score
Such BS. Who cares about win totals and scholarship reductions. Only post season bans mean anything, so they were basically punished less for cheating than we were for not cheating. Not surprising though.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Our postseason ban hurt more because, obviously, we would have qualified for the tourney with a 20 win team. Also being excluded from participating in the last Big East tourney in the arena that is "UConn South" hurt more.

I don't see any Andre Drummonds playing at Cuse as a preferred walk-on.

I'd like to know if the NCAA has opened its transfer window for current players like they did against us. If some of their guys can transfer without having to sit out 2015-16 season, they are as good as gone.

Reaction Score
UConn is still hurting (depth wise) from the scholarship reductions from the Miles and academic deficiencies. So very glad to see SU get it right between the eyes. They have been a dirty program for . . . forever. I'd like to see them play with two scholarship programs and their "all intramural" team. They were an inferior pick for the ACC than UConn ever would have been.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Reducton of scholarships won't hurt Cuse that much since they only play 7 or 8 guys anyway.

Neither would a post-season ban since they love to choke before the second weekend.

Reaction Score
Our postseason ban hurt more because, obviously, we would have qualified for the tourney with a 20 win team. Also being excluded from participating in the last Big East tourney in the arena that is "UConn South" hurt more.

I'd like to know if the NCAA has opened its transfer window for current players like they did against us. If some of their guys can transfer without having to sit out 2015-16 season, they are as good as gone.

but why would they, the team is eligible for everything, do you think Jimmy B not being at the helm for 9 games is going to affect a player that much?

Reaction Score
Honestly, if I was a Syracuse fan, I would rather a post season ban for next year than the 4 year scholarship reduction. I said this in another thread, but operating with 10 scholarships a year over a four year span, coupled with the possible retirement of Boeheim, is going to hurt.
Wow, do I feel bad!!!!!!!!!!! Baloney, this program has been run the wrong way for a long time and they deserve to be hit badly. The only real sorrow is that Boeheim might not be around long enough to bear the brunt of his tactics over these many years. I'm loving the ACC bringing in these programs that were meant to enhance their conference over UConn and to have this explode in their face. There were many Syracuse guys coming over to this board who were slamming the Huskies and Calhoun over the years and to have their image trampled is true justice! The fact that they abandoned the Huskies and the Big East to trot off to the ACC makes this that much more sweet.

Reaction Score

Why would they want to transfer? Syracuse basically received no punishment that affects them.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Recruiting restrictions, plus losing three scholarships a year for four years is really, really going to hurt.

It's going to hurt the next coach of Syracuse more than the current one.

Even worse, it just tags their program forever. This is the second time around.

Reaction Score
Well North Carolina has been cheating for a couple solid decades, so yes is the answer to your question.
The question was "more corrupt" and it's quite possible there's little distinction between the two of them. Just because Syracuse is getting nailed for a certain block of years doesn't mean that a lot of this same crap wasn't happening before but there's just no verification. I couldn't ever understand how Boeheim was continually getting premier players when he was always falling far short in the post season normally with a couple of exceptions. How often did they lose out to lower seeds in the Sweet Sixteen or before? Many, many!!!!

Reaction Score
UConn is still hurting (depth wise) from the scholarship reductions from the Miles and academic deficiencies. So very glad to see SU get it right between the eyes. They have been a dirty program for . . . forever. I'd like to see them play with two scholarship programs and their "all intramural" team. They were an inferior pick for the ACC than UConn ever would have been.

UConn got a postseason ban.

And that allowed players to leave without missing a year.

UConn lost Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith. It also lost recruits because of the postseason ban.

In other words, UConn was damaged by APR and postseason ban.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Neither would a post-season ban since they love to choke before the second weekend.

ah, but that's where you're wrong. Look how single year post season ban affected us, We had players transferring and potential recruits not even looking at us anymore. We are still feeling the effects. A post season ban does a lot more than just keep you out of the post season. It is the most severe punishment the NCAA can hand down short of the death penalty. They would lose their prized recruit and they would lose their best players to transfer just for a ban next year.

Cuse fans are celebrating, trust me.

Reaction Score
The scholarship losses are huge. It's not like Syracuse picks their choice of top 20 kid like UK. They recruit mostly 30-100 kids and now they need to hit on every one of them. They will need their Omar Calhoun and Facey types to pan out and produce immediately. And the stink associated with their program, and loss of recruiting time will make this much more difficult. There is a small chance that they feel little effect but their margin of error is zero.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Syracuse will have 9 scholarship players returning next year. Plus 4 recruits who have signed LOI's. They're only allowed 1 more scholarship for next year.....

Ollie better be knocking on Malachai Richardson's door...

Reaction Score
Syracuse will have 9 scholarship players returning next year. Plus 4 recruits who have signed LOI's. They're only allowed 1 more scholarship for next year.....

Ollie better be knocking on Malachai Richardson's door...
Since they already offered scholarships for next year they get to delay that penalty to the following 2016-17 year. At least that's how I read the punishment.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It's really easy to lose site of Jim Boeheim's complete legacy when you boil him down to the fact that he's lead 15 years of cheating in his program, but let's not forget that there's more to him than that. Yes, he oversaw two major NCAA penalties and when you add up the years of impact, his penalized periods may in fact be longer than his non penalized periods.

That being said, on the other side of the coin, this is also a man who is being sued for slandering two victims of sexual abuse that occurred around his program in an attempt to protect a pedophile and his reputation.

So let's not try to box him in as one thing or another.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Since they already offered scholarships for next year they get to delay that penalty to the following 2016-17 year. At least that's how I read the punishment.
O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman