Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It's really easy to lose site of Jim Boeheim's complete legacy when you boil him down to the fact that he's lead 15 years of cheating in his program, but let's not forget that there's more to him than that. Yes, he oversaw two major NCAA penalties and when you add up the years of impact, his penalized periods may in fact be longer than his non penalized periods.

That being said, on the other side of the coin, this is also a man who is being sued for slandering two victims of sexual abuse that occurred around his program in an attempt to protect a pedophile and his reputation.

So let's not try to box him in as one thing or another.
I sense a lot of likes headed to this post.

Reaction Score
But what are the odds that Syracuse actually serves that full punishment? My guess is that after a year or two, the restrictions are reduced for "good behavior" just like the Penn St punishment. Or maybe they are reduced in a couple of years when Boeheim retires. Either way, I bet they don't end up having to actually serve the full penalty when all is said and done.

In my opinion, at least, Penn St was nailed for criminal violations, which the NCAA has no authority over, while Syracuse has been hit on academic violations, which the NCAA has oversight over. The NCAA knew that they were going to lose in court regarding the $60 million fine and thus backed-off. That si not a treat with these violations for Syracuse, so I doubt that they will reduce the penalty unless the NCAA decides that Boehiem 'deserves' to leave on a high note.

Reaction Score
I might be in the minority but I agree with a few that getting banned next year would have been worse than the schollies.
Cuse has a strong class coming in, some of them would have splintered off - maybe most...and a disgraced Boeheim likely would have thought about retiring.

Plus I have no doubt that the NCAA turtles in a few years of Cuse all of a sudden acting holier than thou and these scholly reductions are halved at the very least.

Anything if Syracuse players will be able to transfer and play right away due to these transgressions? That is how to truly hurt a program.

Reaction Score
Recruiting restrictions, plus losing three scholarships a year for four years is really, really going to hurt.

It's going to hurt the next coach of Syracuse more than the current one.

Even worse, it just tags their program forever. This is the second time around.

Being tagged multiple times does not seem to have hurt Kentucky :mad:

Reaction Score
Anything if Syracuse players will be able to transfer and play right away due to these transgressions? That is how to truly hurt a program.
They have no reason to transfer. They have their scholarships and are eligible for the tournament.

Reaction Score
Since they already offered scholarships for next year they get to delay that penalty to the following 2016-17 year. At least that's how I read the punishment.

which is exactly why the punishment isnt nearly as bad as it appears at face value. This really doesnt have much of an immediate imapact. No postseason ban that actually affects recruiting/ transfers since they banned themselves this year.

If the one year ban was next year and the scholarship losses started immediately, then it would be really bad. They got punished for sure. But nothing that will immediately start crushing the program (like we got)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Being tagged multiple times does not seem to have hurt Kentucky :mad:

There's a Teflon nature to the blue bloods.

Kansas, UCLA and Kentucky have historically been fairly dirty.

Syracuse won't get that leeway.

Reaction Score
So the consensus from the college basketball landscape, including Cuse fans, is that they got hammered and the next 5 years will be very difficult. UCONN fans think they got off way too easy. Sounds about right.

I think it is BS that they aren't banned next year but the scholarship losses and recruiting losses are definitely worse than a one year ban without the recruiting limitations.

Reaction Score
So the consensus from the college basketball landscape, including Cuse fans, is that they got hammered and the next 5 years will be very difficult. UCONN fans think they got off way too easy. Sounds about right.

I think it is BS that they aren't banned next year but the scholarship losses and recruiting losses are definitely worse than a one year ban without the recruiting limitations.
Plus, this is Syracuse we are talking about here. Basketball in March ain't exactly a walk in the park for them.

Reaction Score
I wonder how this impacts Jimmy B's legacy as a "HOF" coach. I would thoroughly enjoy seeing him get booted out of the HOF. Doubt it would ever happen but no one is more deserving than him.

Reaction Score

I don't know who falls into the "consensus from the college basketball landscape", but Bilas does not think they got hammered, and he's one of the 2 or 3 people in the college basketball media with an actual clue.

I don't agree at all that the scholarship/recruiting restrictions are worse than a 1 year ban.

Reaction Score
I don't know who falls into the "consensus from the college basketball landscape", but Bilas does not think they got hammered, and he's one of the 2 or 3 people in the college basketball media with an actual clue.

I don't agree at all that the scholarship/recruiting restrictions are worse than a 1 year ban.

I am basing my opinion on the reaction on the Reddit general college basketball board, which at the least is a way more intelligent board than the Yard.

Reaction Score
I am basing my opinion on the reaction on the Reddit general college basketball board, which at the least is a way more intelligent board than the Yard.
LOL, well I can't argue with that.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
LOL, well I can't argue with that.

The point is that basically every fan base besides ours thinks Cuse got hammered. Plus, the most knowledgeable posters on the board, IMO, think Cuse got hammered.

I explained before that Cuse now has no margin for error with recruiting. And now they have a tarnished brand and can only have two recruiters. And a coach who will probably retire before the sanctions are over. This is a big deal.

They may be fine next year since they already have a solid recruiting class but this will affect them for years. And even in that class, they have to hope that kids like Lydon and Howard and Diagne are the real deal immediately. Having watched these kids a little, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of them bust, which would be hugely negative for the program. Plus they already have an extremely limited sophomore class as is, and unless Boeheim starts brizzing kids, they will be taking up valuable rosters spots the following two years.

Reaction Score
The point is that basically every fan base besides ours thinks Cuse got hammered. Plus, the most knowledgeable posters on the board, IMO, think Cuse got hammered.

I explained before that Cuse now has no margin for error with recruiting. And now they have a tarnished brand and can only have two recruiters. And a coach who will probably retire before the sanctions are over. This is a big deal.

They may be fine next year since they already have a solid recruiting class but this will affect them for years. And even in that class, they have to hope that kids like Lydon and Howard and Diagne are the real deal immediately. Having watched these kids a little, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of them bust, which would be hugely negative for the program. Plus they already have an extremely limited sophomore class as is, and unless Boeheim starts brizzing kids, they will be taking up valuable rosters spots the following two years.
I hope you are correct. I probably should have been more clear that the part of your post I can't argue with is that board being much more intelligent than this one.

Reaction Score
One thing to add: the NCAA wants Cuse to pay back all NCAA credits from multiple years in the BE.

That's pretty substantial, no? $1.5m per year?

The school could take a $5-7m hit on this. That's a lot of money for a school.

Reaction Score
This only applied to seniors, meaning only Oriakhi. Roscoe had to sit out a year, as anyone would have to. He tried to get around that and was denied.

But the lack of a postseason was a reason for Roscoe's leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99