Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA | The Boneyard

Syracuse slapped hard by NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, if I was a Syracuse fan, I would rather a post season ban for next year than the 4 year scholarship reduction. I said this in another thread, but operating with 10 scholarships a year over a four year span, coupled with the possible retirement of Boeheim, is going to hurt.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Honestly, if I was a Syracuse fan, I would rather a post season ban for next year than the 4 year scholarship reduction. I said this in another thread, but operating with 10 scholarships a year over a four year span, coupled with the possible retirement of Boeheim, is going to hurt.

But what are the odds that Syracuse actually serves that full punishment? My guess is that after a year or two, the restrictions are reduced for "good behavior" just like the Penn St punishment. Or maybe they are reduced in a couple of years when Boeheim retires. Either way, I bet they don't end up having to actually serve the full penalty when all is said and done.

Reaction Score

I agree, but I think I saw they don't have to start the scholly reduction until 2016-2017? Sucks and will be tough for them, but they're letting Boeheim finish out his career with a full roster.

Reaction Score
it will mean next to nothing, they'll still get top kids, they just wont have a few of the lesser scholarship guys near the end of the bench that don't work out. Factor in a few big time recruits being wealthy enough to pay for their 1-2 years of school for the 'honor' of playing for the cuse, and it wont even feel like a thing

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Wow. The NCAA showed some actual backbone with the punishment given to Cuse.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I thought they'd be hit a tad harder. Losing 3 scholarships a year is nothing to sniff at. I want to see how many wins Boeheim loses and if any of those games lead to any title or FF being vacated. I want to see how much money is paid back. I think at least another year of post season ban is in order.

There was a decade's worth of violations that followed a pattern and may very well be the definition of "lack of institutional control". They should have gotten their ass kicked harder, IMO.

Reaction Score
I might be in the minority but I agree with a few that getting banned next year would have been worse than the schollies.
Cuse has a strong class coming in, some of them would have splintered off - maybe most...and a disgraced Boeheim likely would have thought about retiring.

Plus I have no doubt that the NCAA turtles in a few years of Cuse all of a sudden acting holier than thou and these scholly reductions are halved at the very least.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Losing three scholarships (or 12, however you view it) is the biggest penalty. It would have been nice for an additional year of post season ban. The self-penalty in a year 'Cuse wouldn't otherwise qualify is like a tree falling in the woods.

Reaction Score
They somehow escaped a 2015-16 postseason ban and have all their scholarships intact for next season.

Basically, the NCAA gave them ample time to prepare for their penalties. They did the opposite to UConn.

Such BS.

Reaction Score
Losing three scholarships (or 12, however you view it) is the biggest penalty. It would have been nice for an additional year of post season ban. The self-penalty in a year 'Cuse wouldn't otherwise qualify is like a tree falling in the woods.
After the Penn State reductions/removals of penalties, I'd be shocked if much of their scholly penalty sticks, but we'll see.
I think this was the NCAA's way of looking tough (although really tough would have been a ban next year) but they will turn into paper tigers once Cuse keeps their nose clean for a year or two and plays in some of the greatest regular season games of all time against Duke**

**Assuming ESPN and Boeheim keep spinning the hype machine.

Reaction Score
I've come to expect so little from the NCAA that it is more of a punishment than I expected. At least Syracuse has been explosed as a totally renegade program, makes Boeheim look pretty terrible.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I might be in the minority but I agree with a few that getting banned next year would have been worse than the schollies.
Cuse has a strong class coming in, some of them would have splintered off - maybe most...and a disgraced Boeheim likely would have thought about retiring.

Plus I have no doubt that the NCAA turtles in a few years of Cuse all of a sudden acting holier than thou and these scholly reductions are halved at the very least.

Yup, anything less than a Post season ban administered by the NCAA rather than the self ban in a sucky year is Cuse getting off easy. Boeheim plays 6 players anyway. Those bench schollies wont hurt them enough.

Reaction Score
Some of the infractions had to do with keeping Melo eligible. The NCAA should have pulled their championship but they didn't. This probably won't effect their program much as long as they manage their scholarships well. They got off easy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
After the Penn State reductions/removals of penalties, I'd be shocked if much of their scholly penalty sticks, but we'll see.
I think this was the NCAA's way of looking tough (although really tough would have been a ban next year) but they will turn into paper tigers once Cuse keeps their nose clean for a year or two and plays in some of the greatest regular season games of all time against Duke**

**Assuming ESPN and Boeheim keep spinning the hype machine.
The difference between Penn State and Syracuse is that technically, Sandusky and Paterno didn't break any NCAA rules.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think some of you understand what happened at Penn State and why it has no application here.

The NCAA went off the reservation with the Penn State penalties - that wasn't an enforcement case and Penn State was likely going to crack the NCAA wide open in court, so they settled.

This is a straight enforcement case.

There's no provision for good behavior here. Hell, the NCAA even tells Syracuse that they're lucky that the violations span back far enough as to qualify for the previously more-lenient penalty structure.

Reaction Score
I dont know what to make of it. Its kind of bad, but then at the same time its not so bad.

Considering they basically ran the hypothetical big school athletic program that you see in tv and movies; boosters, academically ineligible guys, failed drug tests etc. FOR A DECADE this really could've been a lot worse.

As far as impact on the program today/ in the immediate future its not that bad. They already have a monster recruiting class that may not be harmed in any way. They arent banned next year so wont be a big incentive to transfer. And while Boeheim cares about the wins total, it means absolutely nothing. They didnt have to forfeit a championship.

Scholarship reductions will surely hurt, but those apparently can be kicked down the road.

As far a shock value/immediate impact its not that bad. I don't think they're going to have to go through what we did, where it was up in air whether a single player was going to return to the program and this dark cloud hung over us for over a year while we were banned from the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom