New QB Target for 2015? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New QB Target for 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Faith based on what Diaco showed us last season?

I didn't spout off about the kid at all. Just said I'm skeptical about a back up JUCO QB making an impact at the FBS level. Shocking notion.

Yeah, just as shocking as all those nobodies that got us to the Fiesta Bowl! But please continue diminishing someone's accomplishments based on absolutely no information and think that it's not an insult to that person just so you can have something to complain about. Feel better?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The fact that he started his first year there and then was a backup last year says more about the guy ahead of him on the depth chart than him. If he was good enough for Houston to bring him aboard, then he's an AAC-level player, and there's nothing wrong with having those on our team while we're in this conference.

Reaction Score
There's a clear distinction here that has caused a riff in this board. CTMike kind of alluded to it earlier.

There are those who afford Diaco faith based on nothing. "Blind faith" if you will.

Then there are those who don't casually afford someone faith without that person giving us a reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

A perfect example for me was Edsall. He accomplished enough and had a track record where I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Never had that with P (and neither did a lot of the pollyanna posters here, btw) nor do I have that with Diaco based on his decisions last year. Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism but some of you guys get so offended for some reason when some of us question the staff.

I get that Jimmy but if people claim to want the HC to make a decision, when he does you can't just start bashing him when you have no idea if it's a good one or bad one until the kid steps on the field. Even more so if you admittedly know nothing about him or anyone else that was available, at that point is complaining for the sake of it.

Yes, he had many questionable decisions last year. frustrated the hell out of me. But I hope to that he and his staff who have more football knowledge than any of us had a reason for doing those things. I couldn't stand the constant rotating last year, cost us too many times, but look at the roster now, how many players have experience, have been given snaps to show exactly what they can and cannot do. I didn't care last year, just wanted the wins so we can get back to a bowl, but hopefully it set us up nicely for experience and depth for the future. Is it possible they are looking at a bigger picture than any of us care to see? You call that blind faith or pollyanna, fine, but why waste your time and energy just blindly bashing the program? Questioning fine, but some of the comments are far from healthy discussion and just as stupid in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Agree w/ Jimmy. I believe most posts questioning Diaco's recruitment of a backup JUCO QB (and other matters) so late in the game is more of a question/concern (at least for me) around how early and deeply things are being thought thru by BD and staff. It just feels reactionary, like there was an "oh " realization that we needed another QB. From our OC choice to this late signing (and don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have added a QB to the roster and hope Anderson is a great get) my confidence in BD's decision making contniues to lessen. Believe me, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong on this...I'd gladly eat crow b/c it would mean UConn was having FB success.

The staff was trying to get another QB from the HS class and missed out on a couple. They made sure to save a scholarship(s) by signing walk-ons (including 1 QB), and then got a JUCO.

I'm pretty critical of the staff, but it's pretty obvious that they didn't prefer to bring in a JUCO. Backup or not, I'm surprised people don't put any stock into the Houston offer. They finished last season by beating Pitt in a bowl game after switching to their backup QB in early October.

Reaction Score
Agree w/ Jimmy. I believe most posts questioning Diaco's recruitment of a backup JUCO QB (and other matters) so late in the game is more of a question/concern (at least for me) around how early and deeply things are being thought thru by BD and staff. It just feels reactionary, like there was an "oh " realization that we needed another QB. From our OC choice to this late signing (and don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have added a QB to the roster and hope Anderson is a great get) my confidence in BD's decision making contniues to lessen. Believe me, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong on this...I'd gladly eat crow b/c it would mean UConn was having FB success.
  1. Quentin Harris (QB) (Duke Commit)
  2. Alex Hornibrook (QB) (Wisconsin Commit)
  3. Billy Bahl (QB) (Miami-Ohio Commit)
  4. Carter Stanley (QB) (Kansas Commit)
  5. Tyree Jackson (QB) (Buffalo Commit)
  6. Kavicka Johnson (QB) (UTEP Commit)
given that it was the seventh QB they went after I don't think it was an "oh " moment, just saying

Reaction Score
The staff was trying to get another QB from the HS class and missed out on a couple. They made sure to save a scholarship(s) by signing walk-ons (including 1 QB), and then got a JUCO.

I'm pretty critical of the staff, but it's pretty obvious that they didn't prefer to bring in a JUCO. Backup or not, I'm surprised people don't put any stock into the Houston offer. They finished last season by beating Pitt in a bowl game after switching to their backup QB in early October.

FWIW, I made my original post before I was aware of the Houston offer. It does alleviate some of my concerns. Does it instill confidence? Not really, but then again nobody made an absolute judgement on whether this kid will be any good or not.

I don't think Diaco was late to the party realizing he needed another QB. They targeted but just missed out on a few. I'm glad they didn't take just anybody and waited til they found a guy they thought was worthy of a scholarship. I've got no issue with the way it played out in that regard.

Reaction Score
I get that Jimmy but if people claim to want the HC to make a decision, when he does you can't just start bashing him when you have no idea if it's a good one or bad one until the kid steps on the field. Even more so if you admittedly know nothing about him or anyone else that was available, at that point is complaining for the sake of it.

Yes, he had many questionable decisions last year. frustrated the hell out of me. But I hope to that he and his staff who have more football knowledge than any of us had a reason for doing those things. I couldn't stand the constant rotating last year, cost us too many times, but look at the roster now, how many players have experience, have been given snaps to show exactly what they can and cannot do. I didn't care last year, just wanted the wins so we can get back to a bowl, but hopefully it set us up nicely for experience and depth for the future. Is it possible they are looking at a bigger picture than any of us care to see? You call that blind faith or pollyanna, fine, but why waste your time and energy just blindly bashing the program? Questioning fine, but some of the comments are far from healthy discussion and just as stupid in my opinion.

With all due respect Jerry, given the nature and the tone of this discussion, I think you're overreacting here.

Reaction Score
I noticed this as well. I'm sure a starter may be named out of camp, but the competition shouldn't stop there. These kids need to continue to push each other until their eligibility at Uconn has expired. No reason to shut down competition once a starter is selected.

I agree with this. wasn't there a slogan years ago by a car rental company something like "We try harder".

Once a "bar level" has been set, and you don't want to be #2, 3, 4,...whatever, in the pecking order, doesn't an athlete try harder to elevate their play to a standard higher that the present bar level, and become a starter themselves?

If they don't, this doesn't bode well for depth. If that's the case they "can go in a corner and cry", and when their tears have dried....leave. (UConn has seen plenty of that in the past).

To build a program, BD does not need a bunch of quitters.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Does anyone want to point out where I bashed the program or the incoming player? I will question the coach until he gives me reason not to.

If anything, I have higher standards for the program than most of you.

I believe we could and should recruit better and until Diaco's measurable bunch of two sport stars begin to win, I'll remain skeptical.

No need to fly off the deep end.

Reaction Score
With all due respect Jerry, given the nature and the tone of this discussion, I think you're overreacting here.
Really? So the constant whining about him being a backup; that they looked at no other qbs; didn't have a clue; were reactionary; took a kid no one wanted, etc etc etc none of which is founded on anything remotely close to the truth, but I'm the one over reacting? Gold Jimmy! Pure Gold! (see what I did there, light hearted humor, it's not personal until it's personal)

Reaction Score
I remember Tom Brady as a backup and a co starter at Michigan. How did that turn out? How about giving the kid a chance before making some of our comments.

Oh great! Compare him to a guy that lost 2 of the 6 super bowls he played in. ;)

Reaction Score
ktuck911 said:
If Boyle regresses more than we're in the market for 2 more QBs in the '16 recruiting class... Just wouldn't make sense for him to stick around and ride the pine the remaining days he has here...

Well he did go to Xavier. So I assume he is a decent student and wants a degree from UCONN and not from East Tennessee state or whatever. Whatever I think of him as a player he should be able to keep his scholly to get a degree.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I remember Tom Brady as a backup and a co starter at Michigan. How did that turn out? How about giving the kid a chance before making some of our comments.
STOP!!

I remember people telling me they saw Boyle in person in HS and he was going to be great in college...Diaco says he is still working on his leadership...

Reaction Score
FWIW my boss lived in FFLD and loves the preferred walk on kid. Thinks he can be a player. Never know till these guys get on the field against real competition.

Reaction Score
Did we hurt someone's feelings?

3 Star is meaningless ... Unless you show me the credentials of the evaluator. I can get your home Appraised for $1m if I want.

I suspect few know the Quality of football in Walnut Creek, CA or California JUCO. Here's the general response: Damn Good on both. Far beyond New Canaan v Greenwich. They throw the ball a lot. They practice all year in football. JUCO are big time Lines. When I see Garret Anderson play, I see athletes & he's got a darn good arm. Lorenzen? There's about 70 solid California JUCOs playing football; Laney traditionally is one of the best. I like TL a lot; but he was always limited by a strange lefty motion. Leadership -Yup. Move the chains? Edsall got someone to do that.

We have not been successful at recruiting big time talent at QB nor developing talent. Boyle actually LOOKS like a real prospect. Many others did (including Dennis Brown). I can't remember losing lots of QB to other peer schools. Like Cincy or Pitt? Did we ever go far with any of their prospects in recruiting over the last 7 years. We didn't get Murphy; we didn't get Harris. Cochran was a fun upside prospect on makeup. Endres looked the part without the makeup. Just 10 years + of not much. Opinion? UConn has to reach beyond all other positions to get Quality at QB. Unknowns in PA or NJ? There's just not obvious. I did go to UCLA too. I can tell you that, to my view, there were always solid QB kids on UCLA, USC, Cal & Stanford. ALWAYS.

This kid - Anderson - had BYU, Syracuse in picking him late in his HS years; Colorado, Colorado State & Wyoming with home visits. At Laney - yeah he got passed by a UNLV recruit - he now gets Colorado State & Houston offers. Colorado coach quoted said he looked like Kellen Moore.

Summary? You'll have more success this way getting a QB than trying to Coach up a Connecticut kid. There's a certain pedigree that California kids get through their competitive leagues both in the Diablo Valley & JUCO.

Reaction Score
Really? So the constant whining about him being a backup; that they looked at no other qbs; didn't have a clue; were reactionary; took a kid no one wanted, etc etc etc none of which is founded on anything remotely close to the truth, but I'm the one over reacting? Gold Jimmy! Pure Gold! (see what I did there, light hearted humor, it's not personal until it's personal)

I think you're overreacting. There were a few posts concerned that he was the backup (that's a valid concern, the starter left for UNLV, not FSU). I didn't see a post that said nobody wanted him.

This was a late reach. By your own admission it was. You rattled off 6 QBs that they targeted after Davis. They missed on all 6. JUCO wasn't their preferred route or this kid would have been locked up earlier. He said they got in touch with him 3 weeks ago. What was about 3 weeks ago? Signing day?

If it weren't for Houston not accepting a class, he'd already be enrolled there and practicing with them. We got in on him late. That doesn't mean he can't/won't succeed. But this wasn't plan A, arguably not even plan B. I think we might have gotten lucky, but the most people here are pretty happy about this signing, and the "constant" whining was only a few posts skeptical of whether or not this kid is gonna be good enough to be a difference maker.

Reaction Score
JUCO is almost always your Plan B.

Who knows about any of the other 6. Clearly, they went hard after Tyler Davis. How does that effect the next guy? I think sometimes 2 in a class is tough.

BTW.

Reaction Score
I love this kid, looking at his film he never panics when the play breaks down (anti-Whitmer). He also looks good throwing while on the move and can really throw from most any angle. Good size too and always keeps his eyes down field.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I don't really think anyone thinks we shouldn't have brought him in anyways so I guess that's not up for debate. Why we were in this position is a different topic. I'd guess it's difficult to bring a second QB recruit in when you had your top choice locked up so early in the process. Factor in the downward trend in UConn's record the last 4 years and it's easy to see why someone wouldn't want to come in as QB2 in their class. We have holes left from transfers and concussions so it's probably a good move to bring in a junior with 3 years to play 2.

If he's good enough to win the job at some point, great. If not, at least we added a body to protect the Davis redshirt. We were probably one semi serious injury away from burning his redshirt.

Reaction Score
Since Dan O, no QB at UConn has been as highly skilled in energy, athleticism, and leadership.

That is not to say any of the coaches weren't trying, but we've all beat to death the concept of how difficult it is to recruit "highly recognized players" at any position to UConn. And if I was an opposing coach competing for a prized QB recruit with any of the present and/or former UConn coaches my arguments to persuade a recruit from going to UConn is (1) they want to be a run first offense (2) their offensive schemes are a little better than FCS (3) they can barely beat FCS teams (4) the fans are bored with their style of play and don't go to games (5) you play in a minor league conference (6) OOC teams stink

I won't blame any of the present/past coaches for their inability to recruit a dynamic QB....or any QB. They've had to have been trying...just too many easy arguments against the program.

HCBD comments are very immature. What parent would like their son to play for a coach whose best compliment about them on their first day of college practice was "he wasn't in a corner sucking his thumb or crying"

Talks about kids showing leadership and energy? Comments like that will drain my batteries.
I don't know know about that. I would love to have Zack Frazier or Tyler Lorenzon on the roster right now.

OK EDIT: You are right we haven't had an NFL caliber QB since DanO

Reaction Score
I think you're overreacting. There were a few posts concerned that he was the backup (that's a valid concern, the starter left for UNLV, not FSU). I didn't see a post that said nobody wanted him.

This was a late reach. By your own admission it was. You rattled off 6 QBs that they targeted after Davis. They missed on all 6. JUCO wasn't their preferred route or this kid would have been locked up earlier. He said they got in touch with him 3 weeks ago. What was about 3 weeks ago? Signing day?

If it weren't for Houston not accepting a class, he'd already be enrolled there and practicing with them. We got in on him late. That doesn't mean he can't/won't succeed. But this wasn't plan A, arguably not even plan B. I think we might have gotten lucky, but the most people here are pretty happy about this signing, and the "constant" whining was only a few posts skeptical of whether or not this kid is gonna be good enough to be a difference maker.

Sorry Wing but when I constantly read peoples posts that are only voicing negative crap with no basis of truth I call that an overreaction, I'm just calling out the stupidity of it. And yeah you're not kidding it was a late reach, but the 6 I rattled off were because of the opinion expressed that the coaches didn't know they needed another QB and had an "oh " moment and grabbed him, we needed to make that reach and it looks from his film that he has some skills that we can certainly use, many which were pointed out by the "pollyannas" who took the time to look at his film and understood that he was the starter there in his freshman year and lost it to another guy his sophomore year for whatever reason, but he was a "back-up" so let's just forget about the rest, and that he also garnered interest from other programs similar to us (which was the point of the "no one wants him" that I made, not that we didn't). Every one of our recruits are unknown commodities when it comes to D1 football, this kid is no different.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Every one of our recruits are unknown commodities when it comes to D1 football, this kid is no different.
Then why do some folks get labeled "negative" simply for wanting more evidence? The "believers" believe, and that's fine, but if you are skeptical you are a pox on the board? Not meaning to pick you out specifically- just observing the general sentiment that "believers" get offended when others aren't yet convinced.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The guy didn't start on his JUCO team.

By definition that is a back up QB.

Sure, he could be a Tom Brady, Kurt Warner or league average FBS QB, but I'd say the odds are against it.

That's just common sense and I'll take that over a YouTube highlight video a guy on the boneyard took the time to learn as you say.

I'd sign up for a Tyler Lorenzen right now and you're crazy if you don't. TL was a proven JUCO commodity.

At JUCO Tyler last season was 69% competition for 2,960 yards. 26 TDs to 3 INT and he ran for 836 yards and 8 TDs.

By comparison in his year as the starter, Anderson put up 50%, 932, and 14 tds to 11 ints.

Just calling it how I see it.

Reaction Score
Then why do some folks get labeled "negative" simply for wanting more evidence? The "believers" believe, and that's fine, but if you are skeptical you are a pox on the board? Not meaning to pick you out specifically- just observing the general sentiment that "believers" get offended when others aren't yet convinced.

I hate how every thread now turns into a big pi$$ing match between the same people. You are too nice of a guy. It wouldn't kill you to take the gloves off every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom