New QB Target for 2015? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New QB Target for 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So we obviously needed another scholarship QB. So landing one gives me some ray of hope that Diaco isn't 100% clueless (somewhere in between 90-99 I won't argue).

The proverbial, that being said, the best we could do was a back up JUCO QB?

I know we don't have much history and we've been very bad lately in a bad league, but come on.
So we obviously needed another scholarship QB. So landing one gives me some ray of hope that Diaco isn't 100% clueless (somewhere in between 90-99 I won't argue).

I know we don't have much history and we've been very bad lately in a bad league, but come on.

I remember Tom Brady as a backup and a co starter at Michigan. How did that turn out? How about giving the kid a chance before making some of our comments.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I think Diaco has in mind what he wants in a QB and maybe there wasn't much to choose from? I understand everyone being upset that this kid was a backup but let's see him on the field. He at least has college experience which is more than 1/2 (if you count the preferred walk on) of our current QB corps can say.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I remember Tom Brady as a backup and a co starter at Michigan. How did that turn out? How about giving the kid a chance before making some of our comments.

What a patently absurd statement.

I never said the kid can't be good, just common sense tells me a guy who was a back up JUCO QB isn't going to cut it against UCF, ECU, Cincinnati, etc.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
All that can be said about this kid with relative certainty is that we probably aren't getting the next Dan Orlovsky. Unfortunately, that could have been said about every QB we've had since Dan Orlovsky. But ultimately, that's not the question at hand.

The question at hand is: Can this kid help us prepare for and win games? I'm hoping the answer to that is "YES". Whether it's doing what he can on the scout team to help us prepare for the next opponent, or whether it's being game-ready to help us on the field, I'm hoping that this kid can help UConn Football. And it seems that Colorado State and Houston both felt this kid could help them, so I'll stick with the optimistic view.

Besides, if he comes here and does really well, I'll get to look forward to Pudge's next hourly post mocking me about how he wasn't a 3-star prospect... ;)

Reaction Score
What a patently absurd statement.

I never said the kid can't be good, just common sense tells me a guy who was a back up JUCO QB isn't going to cut it against UCF, ECU, Cincinnati, etc.

Perhaps patently absurd. Wouldn't be the first patently absurd comment I have made and most assuredly won't be the last. Let's take a look at your comment "just common sense tells me a guy who was a back up JUCO QB isn't going to cut it against UCF, ECU, Cincinnati, etc.". What does that say about the University of Houston coaching staff that offered him a scholarship. Houston has had a pretty good track record with their QB's over the years. Point being, neither you nor I have a clue how good this kid can be. Personally I hope he is closer to the Tom Brady model than the QB that can't cut it against UCF, ECU, Cincinnati, etc.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Looking at the state of this program and our track record with QB development, the name "Tom Brady" should not be mentioned anywhere on this forum save for off-topic NFL discussion. However, I think we could've done a lot worse with QB depth, which is all this signing is until the results of the QB competition are announced.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We needed a QB, we got one, and that is positive. The fact that Houston and Colorado State seemed to be in on him is a good sign too.

I'm skeptical that a guy who didn't start on his JUCO team is going to ever make a difference in the AAC, but I've never seen him play.

If nothing else, as Dan pointed out he at least he is a body to help to protect Davis RS.

Reaction Score
Besides, if he comes here and does really well, I'll get to look forward to Pudge's next hourly post mocking me about how he wasn't a 3-star prospect... ;)

Syracuse and BYU recruited him out of HS, not exactly under the radar.

Reaction Score

It is easy to criticize and slander on this forum. When will someone step up and name a better choice over the one the coaching staff has brought in?

I know we don't have much history and we've been very bad lately in a bad league, but come on.[/QUOTE] No pizzing match here but what part of what you understand do you not understand?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No pizzing match here but what part of what you understand do you not understand?

I really don't want to have this discussion again, but my point is that we're still in the 6th/7th best college football league in America.

To me, that means we should recruit players that fit the description of the league or hopefully higher.

Being a JUCO back up or a FCS only offer doesn't preclude you from being good but I think UConn should be able to bring in higher quality players.

As far as who I wanted? I don't follow JUCO QB prospects. There is a guy at UConn getting paid $1.5M though that it would be in his interests to have a good idea.

Reaction Score
He did start in Juco and then got beat out by the QB that went to unlv. He stuck it out and kept working and received multiple offers. And he was impressed by our facilities, coaches, and players.

He sounds like a good kid and if he has the same pocket/ receivers awareness he shows on film he has a good chance to start and help us be competitive.

Reaction Score
As far as who I wanted? I don't follow JUCO QB prospects. There is a guy at UConn getting paid $1.5M though that it would be in his interests to have a good idea.

And if you have no knowledge of the JUCO prospects or this commit maybe you should show the faith you claim in our 1.5 miilion decision maker and realize he saw something in him that can help us instead of spouting off on something you know nothing about.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Whether you think he'll be great or remain skeptical - there is a severe lack of evidence to indicate how he will do. If you think he'll do well here, it's largely on faith alone. And it's ok to have faith. But it's also okay to have healthy skepticism until you see evidence to the contrary.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And if you have no knowledge of the JUCO prospects or this commit maybe you should show the faith you claim in our 1.5 miilion decision maker and realize he saw something in him that can help us instead of spouting off on something you know nothing about.

Faith based on what Diaco showed us last season?

I didn't spout off about the kid at all. Just said I'm skeptical about a back up JUCO QB making an impact at the FBS level. Shocking notion.

Reaction Score
Here's what I find interesting: Coach D. said that he wants to have his starter named by the end of spring practice. I Des's column today, Des said that Anderson will compete for the starting position once he arrives on campus this summer. That's a totally divergent message being sent to the troops already on board.

Reaction Score
coachcap said:
Here's what I find interesting: Coach D. said that he wants to have his starter named by the end of spring practice. I Des's column today, Des said that Anderson will compete for the starting position once he arrives on campus this summer. That's a totally divergent message being sent to the troops already on board.
In fairness I think he said he'd name 1-2-3. I don't think he said "starter".

Reaction Score
I don't understand the angst over a backup QB. The backup QB is always the best QB on the roster.

Really though, Houston has had a much better track record of QB play recently, Diaco brought in a transfer (Shirrefs), Freshman, and now JUCO guy to all battle for the job this year. I'm actually more worried about his ability to decide on one and stick with him, then how they play. Davis has 5 to play 4, Shirrefs had 3 left, and Boyle and Anderson each have 3 to play 2.

Reaction Score

There's a clear distinction here that has caused a riff in this board. CTMike kind of alluded to it earlier.

There are those who afford Diaco faith based on nothing. "Blind faith" if you will.

Then there are those who don't casually afford someone faith without that person giving us a reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

A perfect example for me was Edsall. He accomplished enough and had a track record where I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Never had that with P (and neither did a lot of the pollyanna posters here, btw) nor do I have that with Diaco based on his decisions last year. Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism but some of you guys get so offended for some reason when some of us question the staff.

Reaction Score
If Boyle regresses more than we're in the market for 2 more QBs in the '16 recruiting class... Just wouldn't make sense for him to stick around and ride the pine the remaining days he has here...

Reaction Score
I noticed this as well. I'm sure a starter may be named out of camp, but the competition shouldn't stop there. These kids need to continue to push each other until their eligibility at Uconn has expired. No reason to shut down competition once a starter is selected.

Reaction Score
Agree w/ Jimmy. I believe most posts questioning Diaco's recruitment of a backup JUCO QB (and other matters) so late in the game is more of a question/concern (at least for me) around how early and deeply things are being thought thru by BD and staff. It just feels reactionary, like there was an "oh " realization that we needed another QB. From our OC choice to this late signing (and don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have added a QB to the roster and hope Anderson is a great get) my confidence in BD's decision making contniues to lessen. Believe me, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong on this...I'd gladly eat crow b/c it would mean UConn was having FB success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom