New QB Target for 2015? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New QB Target for 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry Wing but when I constantly read peoples posts that are only voicing negative crap with no basis of truth I call that an overreaction, I'm just calling out the stupidity of it. And yeah you're not kidding it was a late reach, but the 6 I rattled off were because of the opinion expressed that the coaches didn't know they needed another QB and had an "oh " moment and grabbed him, we needed to make that reach and it looks from his film that he has some skills that we can certainly use, many which were pointed out by the "pollyannas" who took the time to look at his film and understood that he was the starter there in his freshman year and lost it to another guy his sophomore year for whatever reason, but he was a "back-up" so let's just forget about the rest, and that he also garnered interest from other programs similar to us (which was the point of the "no one wants him" that I made, not that we didn't). Every one of our recruits are unknown commodities when it comes to D1 football, this kid is no different.
So the coaches weren't at an "oh " moment when signing day came and went and we didn't have a second QB? Almost all the names of the 6 QB's you listed that we offered were committed to their school of choice well before signing day, majority before their senior season even started.... save one and we got on him very late. It was an oh moment, and it should have been. It's not a knock on Anderson, I'm pumped he's signed on and hope he has a great career and gets a first rate education, and I should have re-worded my initial post - I own that. My issue is w/ HCBD as it seems like we've had out share of "plan b or pan c" situations so that's where my frustration comes from today. I've historically been incredibly supportive of our coaching staff and administration. Was labeled an "Edsall apologista" a Pasqualoni optimist the first season and a quarter, but I'm struggling with our current man in charge right now. I've got concerns around his decision making ability based on decisions he's made. IMO the OC search was mismanaged and no one will convince me Verducci was his first, second, or even third choice (and if he was, then my level of concern would spike thru the roof). Again, hope I'm wrong about everything and you're right about everything...that would be the best thing for UCOnn FB. I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone, just disappointed we found ourselves in this situation a month after signing day. Peace out!

Reaction Score
Then why do some folks get labeled "negative" simply for wanting more evidence? The "believers" believe, and that's fine, but if you are skeptical you are a pox on the board? Not meaning to pick you out specifically- just observing the general sentiment that "believers" get offended when others aren't yet convinced.

For the same reason others get labeled apologists, pollyannas etc. I'm not going to tell you how to do your business, but I will say something if I don't agree with it, if I did it to every post I saw I would be jsut another nut on the farm. But if you are basing your opinion on something have it, but when someone says up front they don't know anything about it but still expresses a strong negative opinion on it then I call BS.

We all want to win, we all want better recruits, we all want out of the G5, but I'm not going to waste my energy whining about things I can't control. Our coaches saw something in him, he signed on, until he proves different I'm going to hope for the best and not cry about things that could have been.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm encouraged by the addition to QB depth. Now, I am looking a bit toward the O-line. Only two designated incoming wide-bodies does not give me the warm and fuzzies, given the groups' performance as a whole a year ago. I like what the S&C numbers indicate, but 2014 indicated moreso a complete overhaul rather than a tweak.

Reaction Score
So the coaches weren't at an "oh " moment when signing day came and went and we didn't have a second QB? Almost all the names of the 6 QB's you listed that we offered were committed to their school of choice well before signing day, majority before their senior season even started.... save one and we got on him very late. It was an oh moment, and it should have been.

It's OK really, but I just don't see how you can label it that way if they continued to try to recruit QB's after, and right up until the signing day deadline, that's proof that they knew about and were trying to remedy the situation not running around like oh crap we forgot to recruit a secon QB!. Should they have cut bait on the HS kids earlier and pushed the JUCO "plan B" idea, who knows, would it have mattered? we'll never know, I certainly don't, I know I like the kids film and hope he pans out well.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
But if you are basing your opinion on something have it, but when someone says up front they don't know anything about it but still expresses a strong negative opinion on it then I call BS.

Fact: JUCO Back Up QB
Fact: 1st year stats were not good.
Fact: We missed out on our targets through signing day and had to go to the JUCO ranks due to our depleted depth chart.
Fact: Appears he had a Houston offer and Colorado State visit lined up.

Counter argument

Tom Brady was a back up QB.
BY member watched his YouTube videos and "learned about him".
He was only a back up because the starter went to UNLV.

I thought about five posts ago I made an olive branch type post just hoping the kid does well, but when you're calling me up for not basing my opinion in anything - I'm coming back at you and going to point out the reality of the situation.

Reaction Score
Fact: We missed out on our targets through signing day and had to go to the JUCO ranks due to our depleted depth chart.

Counter argument

I thought about five posts ago I made an olive branch type post just hoping the kid does well, but when you're calling me up for not basing my opinion in anything - I'm coming back at you and going to point out the reality of the situation.

In your counter argument section, you forgot to add:

CA produces some VERY good football players.

Apparently that's something that a lot of us here on the BY were not aware of.

Reaction Score

Counter argument

I'm not trying to argue with you, I get your concern. But to clarify, he didn't just have an "apparent offer" from Houston, he was all set to go there until they didn't accept a class he took and he couldn't get admitted.

Reaction Score
, but I'm not going to waste my energy whining about things I can't control.

But aren't you doing that in this thread? Instead of the program, you're whining about the posters. ;)

I know, some people had some facts wrong, you corrected them and I think they've owned up to it.

Reaction Score
Fact: you openly admitted you know nothing about him
Fact: you openly admitted you know nothing about the JUCO system
Fact: produce the first year stats or it's meaningless making your fact your opinion and we don't need to go in about opinions now do we
Fact: we didn't miss out on anyone, we offered them, we pitched them, they decided to go somewhere else get over it, would it make you happy if they did nothing? so be happy already jeez!
Fact: his film does show talent, who said anything about knowing him
Fact: complaining about how we got someone that shows skills that we need at the position is stupid

Counter argument

Tom Brady was a back up QB. really, that's what you took from that post?
BY member watched his YouTube videos and "learned about him". see above
He was only a back up because the starter went to UNLV. add this to the fact portion, he lost his spot to a guy that eventually went to UNLV not because the guy went to UNLV, we'll chalk it up to proof reading or reactionary premature "post repling" your choice because I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying it can't possibly be reading comprehension - see I extended an olive branch too!

Reaction Score
But aren't you doing that in this thread? Instead of the program, you're whining about the posters. ;)

I know, some people had some facts wrong, you corrected them and I think they've owned up to it.

Nah, I don't consider pointing out BS when I see it a waste of time, it's more of an obligation really, my way of trying to make the world a better place! I'll back off, let's all just join hands in song and it'll be better in the morning!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What's the point of a message board if you can't take a critical look at a recruit, coach or the direction of a program?

I posted Anderson's stats above but they were: Completion 50%, 932 yards, and 14 tds to 11 ints.

Still not sure why you're so insistent on resorting to attacks on me as a poster, but have at it.

Reaction Score
Nah, I don't consider pointing out BS when I see it a waste of time, it's more of an obligation really, my way of trying to make the world a better place! I'll back off, let's all just join hands in song and it'll be better in the morning!

I didn't think this thread was all that bad before you flipped your lid about pretty much nothing.

Reaction Score
Apparently they got their #1 Qb target in Davis so, good. Medic's observation on the Qbs' eligibility may be telling. Perhaps getting someone in Anderson's situation allows them to manipulate the RSs to spread out the position eligibility. A skills fit and potential class fit?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't get why this argument is happening. After Boyle/Shirreffs/Davis, the next QB up on the depth chart was Will Rishell. This kid is a much better option than Rishell no matter who his offers came from or what his statline was two years ago. Case closed.

Reaction Score
I don't get why this argument is happening. After Boyle/Shirreffs/Davis, the next QB up on the depth chart was Will Rishell. This kid is a much better option than Rishell no matter who his offers came from or what his statline was two years ago. Case closed.

That argument is only happening in your imagination.

Reaction Score
Tyler Lorenzen ain't available. We took one that was.

I enjoy this. Love how "Offers" matter ... Until you find a codicil to that. (He didn't start for Laney). Let's just see who shows up. I think Anderson improved the Position. He, IMO, is more competitive today than another kid who just steps out of HS; that's short term important for a variety of reasons.

Reaction Score
Tyler Lorenzen ain't available. We took one that was.

I enjoy this. Love how "Offers" matter ... Until you find a codicil to that. (He didn't start for Laney). Let's just see who shows up. I think Anderson improved the Position. He, IMO, is more competitive today than another kid who just steps out of HS; that's short term important for a variety of reasons.

Is quoting the person you're responding to (or mocking, for lack of a better word) too much to ask?

Reaction Score
I didn't think this thread was all that bad before you flipped your lid about pretty much nothing.
You choose your battles I'll choose mine thank you very much mister, but after reading all the constant b!tching for months on end, if this is flipping my lid then I don't know what you call what you all have been up to!! What's been complained about here is stupid and uninformed, it happens, we've all done it, don't cry woe is me when on called out on it

Reaction Score
Is quoting the person you're responding to (or mocking, for lack of a better word) too much to ask?

Yes.

I am not mocking anyone. We need a kid to improve th QB position. The Coaching staff made a decisive move. He's got Offers. You can track his recruitment through HS even - far more than we'd see if he was NY or NE. My opinion is a kid with JUCO experience fits OUR NEED for the coming year. And, we might get lucky.

Let's ALL agree on this: we all have justified skepticism on what this staff is doing. I choose to look on the brighter side. I grant ALL of you that bitching is entirely an appropriate thought. Quoting previous ALL posts in this. There.

Reaction Score
Let's ALL agree on this: we all have justified skepticism on what this staff is doing. I choose to look on the brighter side. I grant ALL of you that bitching is entirely an appropriate thought.
Agree, and I think most would agree (then again it is The Boneyard) also that first year HC BD dug himself a hole in QB recruiting. This with his amateur hour move of having a command of the huddle QB and a red zone QB.
Any QB worth a grain of salt wants a coach that is behind him whether the ball is at the 47 or the 17 yard line.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This kid has a chance to be a good QB. He was a 3-star kid coming out of high school, with offers from Houston and Colorado State, which all support the fact that he has a chance to be a good QB. (and yes, he's from California...because CT never produced good QB's....like Orlovsky, Cochran, Reed, Murphy, etc. :confused:). And finding a kid with a chance to be a good QB this late in the recruiting season is a successful recruitment for the staff at this point.

Is it definite that he will be good? No.
Is it definite that he will suck? No.

Let's welcome Garrett to the Dog Pound and hope he kicks some tail. I'm the type of person that likes to view the cup half-undefeated... (and the other half is probably equally undefeated)

Reaction Score
I enjoy this. Love how "Offers" matter ... Until you find a codicil to that.

I am not mocking anyone....

...I grant ALL of you that bitching is entirely an appropriate thought. Quoting previous ALL posts in this. There.

Not mocking anyone? I deciphered the meaning of codicil through the context. But after your second post, I'll admit I had to look it up to make sure I understood it.

If you weren't mocking people who like to see other offers, your post doesn't make any sense, or you don't know what codicil means. I'm guessing you do.

Of course, not everyone who likes to see other offers viewed this signing as a negative. But why should that stop you from bothering to lump everyone into the same group ("not as smart as Pudge") with a response that "quotes ALL posts in this." :rolleyes:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Boyle actually LOOKS like a real prospect.

So - care to elaborate on this?

You spoke of your knowledge and pedigree of California QBs but I am just dying to know how you got to the above quote?

Was it the way he looked off the receivers last year? Oh wait, that didn't happen...
Was it his pinpoint accuracy he showed last year? Oh wait, that didn't happen...
Something else I missed that you determined he LOOKS like a real prospect besides his height and arm strength because those two qualities are down the list of what makes a QB a QB.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not mocking anyone?

Of course he was mocking many of us (yes, I'm included in that). He's been mocking us on other threads too, for about the last month or so.

The best thing to do is to ignore him (which I didn't do, unfortunately). Let him type to himself. Unfortunately, you have to try to avoid the trap of being trolled by a mod... :eek:

Reaction Score
I don't know what's so hard about this move to understand. We landed the kid we wanted early and were effectively looking for depth. We got a guy with a couple of other offers who seems to fit the model Diaco is looking for as a mobile qb. If he wins the job and turns out good it's a bonus. If not we at least have some depth for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom