New QB Target for 2015? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New QB Target for 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone understands why we brought him in. Some just don't think it will make a difference other than for depth.

I think it's between him and Shirrefs, but the disagreement isn't over a lack of understanding, it's over whether or not this is "meh", "good", or "great" news.

Reaction Score
And in some ways it doesn't matter since nobody expects Tom Brady. They need a bridge to get us to Davis. That a few others thought he was worthy of a serios look offer is a plus

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This attitude needs to permeate throughout and exude from the program, fans included. The school offers a top notch education, UConn is a program on the rise, the these players are needed for it to take the next steps. The Boneyard knows it. Now it's time for the rest of the country to find out.

If UConn is a program on the rise, I'd hate to see one in decline.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If UConn is a program on the rise, I'd hate to see one in decline.
Keep beating that drum, CHB...
th

Incidentally, the only thing the Imperial Emperor was good for at parties was that cool little light show he had coming out of his fingers.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We went from 9, 8, 8, 8 wins to 5, 5, 3, 2 wins.

Just frankly think it's ridiculous to say we're on the rise.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I've said it before (quite possibly in response to you) and here it is again: Those win totals are presented in a vacuum. 9, 8, 8, 8 (successful Coach leaves on own volition). 5, 5, 0 (Dumpster Fire is put out). 3 (Change of Staff). 2 (Beginning of the rebuild from ground up).

The process HAS to run its course. If there is no improvement this upcoming year, I'll reassess, but I'm not willing to declare a winner of the marathon at the 9 mile mark.

Reaction Score
I've said it before (quite possibly in response to you) and here it is again: Those win totals are presented in a vacuum. 9, 8, 8, 8 (successful Coach leaves on own volition). 5, 5, 0 (Dumpster Fire is put out). 3 (Change of Staff). 2 (Beginning of the rebuild from ground up).

The process HAS to run its course. If there is no improvement this upcoming year, I'll reassess, but I'm not willing to declare a winner of the marathon at the 9 mile mark.
I think we should we be stating that we are a program that is in flux....we are changing... but for good or ill....we'll find out

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think we should we be stating that we are a program that is in flux....we are changing... but for good or ill....we'll find out
So you expect a newly committed recruit to play it neutral for a program he just signed with?

Know what? I agree. The best way for him to endear himself to the staff is to say something to the effect of, " I was wasting a way in junior college, and I was all set to sign with Colorado State, but they were in a bowl game last year. Let's face it UConn sucks and I have a good shot at starting. We'll be good for as long as I'm there but they are going to suck again starting in 2018."

The program is not in flux. The program has very little room to get worse. Odds favor improvement. I'll take that side of the bet. The alternative makes me miserable and I don't intentionally pick misery very often.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Maybe you should only watch the women play because they win all the time and you wouldn't fret over the last few years.
We are all upset about how UCONN has played but some of us are hopeful that the new staff will turn it around.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Maybe you should only watch the women play because they win all the time and you wouldn't fret over the last few years.
We are all upset about how UCONN has played but some of us are hopeful that the new staff will turn it around.

All I said was a team that has went from 5 to 5 to 3 to 2 wins in consecutive seasons isn't exactly on the rise.

You think I should root for a team that never losses because I expressed disappointment in a 15-33 record?

I hope we turn it around, everyone does.

It's just you can't talk in reality on this board without getting jumped all over.

Husky25

Reaction Score
All I said was a team that has went from 5 to 5 to 3 to 2 wins in consecutive seasons isn't exactly on the rise.

You think I should root for a team that never losses because I expressed disappointment in a 15-33 record?

I hope we turn it around, everyone does.

It's just you can't talk in reality on this board without getting jumped all over.

I can't speak for anyone else but that is not why I responded to you like I did. You get jumped all over because you say 5 to 5 to 3 to 2 without acknowledging any change in the environment in which that 5 to 5 to 3 to 2 occurred. Whether or not you can at least recognize one single positive event with regard to the football program over the last 4 years, you certainly don't acknowledge it?

Reaction Score
So you expect a newly committed recruit to play it neutral for a program he just signed with?

Know what? I agree. The best way for him to endear himself to the staff is to say something to the effect of, " I was wasting a way in junior college, and I was all set to sign with Colorado State, but they were in a bowl game last year. Let's face it UConn sucks and I have a good shot at starting. We'll be good for as long as I'm there but they are going to suck again starting in 2018."

The program is not in flux. The program has very little room to get worse. Odds favor improvement. I'll take that side of the bet. The alternative makes me miserable and I don't intentionally pick misery very often.

Wow, no, I am stating that as a fan, I am in reality and what I would want my coach to do is NOT spin how bad last year was into something that wasn't bad. IT WAS HORRIBLE! So, how would I suggest talking to a recruit coming in: My advice: state the facts that we were a program that won only two games last year. We think your talent will change this. We believe you can come in to a great challenge a wonderful opportunity and you can be recognized by having a positive impact by winning. Last year was my first year as this teams head coach. This year, I can promise you an opportunity to take the field and all you have to do is not play better than the other guy who is going after the same position but you have to play as though you OWN that spot. You do that and the job is yours. If the other guy does it better, the spot is his. Are you up for the challenge or would you rather play it safe and perhaps not even get a start at Colorado state???

And as for the ridiculousness of your idea of improvement....so I take a test, I get 2 challenges/questions out of 12 correct. I get a 16.67% and there is no curve. The year prior I got 3 out of 12 challenges/questions correct? I got a 25. The two years prior I was at 5 out of 12 That is I scored a 41.67%. I don't see this as improvement nor do I see it as a program on the rise. In fact you say we can't go much lower. Well I agree with you. However, even if we get back to 5 wins...I do not see that as a program on the rise. Yes it is an improvement but when your still failing...YOU DON'T DESERVE A TROPHY or any sort of congratulation...Hey you improved. No, you guys still lost. You want to motivate and cheer mediocrity...go ahead...let me know where you sit...cause I don't want to be anywhere near you. I don't boo the teams I am a fan of...I give them silence. I don't say well look where you have been, your doing great compared to that. When they are out of the mud/, then I will say they are on the rise. Going from an F to an F+ is still a failure and neither one looks good. And even if they improve for one season, to say they are on the rise...I think you need more than one upward data point. Lets say they win 5 games this year...great, they improved but still failed but then next year lets say they win only 4...the previous year will be labeled a fluke at 5 wins. I believe in one step at a time...but I would rather walk softly and carry a big stick than brag loudly about how big my twig is!

And, I would rather keep silent about the small progress we may make and allow my voice to be saved for when the team shows true success.

Reaction Score
I can't speak for anyone else but that is not why I responded to you like I did. You get jumped all over because you say 5 to 5 to 3 to 2 without acknowledging any change in the environment in which that 5 to 5 to 3 to 2 occurred. Whether or not you can at least recognize one single positive event with regard to the football program over the last 4 years, you certainly don't acknowledge it?

We all know what happened. A disastrous hiring. Getting buried in CR. And a new coach that's off to a less than stellar start. You want something positive? The kids are in much better shape.

I'm hoping that we're on a program on the rise. But to date there is no evidence that points to that. And no amount of "hope" that anyone here portrays is going to make one iota of a difference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'd say the biggest positives of the past 4 seasons:

Firing P
Winning down at Maryland
Cochrane winning 3 straight to close out 2013
Atmosphere at the Michigan game.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
We all know what happened. A disastrous hiring. Getting buried in CR. And a new coach that's off to a less than stellar start. You want something positive? The kids are in much better shape.

I'm hoping that we're on a program on the rise. But to date there is no evidence that points to that. And no amount of "hope" that anyone here portrays is going to make one iota of a difference.

We don't know what we are right now.

Any program that plays as many young players as we did last year and has as few under scholarship is going to lose a ton of games.

Any program. Even Miami in their glory years.

I think Diaco has the kids buying in, which means more than biter old guys on the internet not buying in.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think Diaco has the kids buying in, which means more than biter old guys on the internet not buying in.

The last time we saw the kids in action, they rolled over and died at home to a winless team.

Sorry but after last season I want more than quotes and so and so added 35 pounds of muscle.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Wow, no, I am stating that as a fan, I am in reality and what I would want my coach to do is NOT spin how bad last year was into something that wasn't bad. IT WAS HORRIBLE! So, how would I suggest talking to a recruit coming in: My advice: state the facts that we were a program that won only two games last year. We think your talent will change this. We believe you can come in to a great challenge a wonderful opportunity and you can be recognized by having a positive impact by winning. Last year was my first year as this teams head coach. This year, I can promise you an opportunity to take the field and all you have to do is not play better than the other guy who is going after the same position but you have to play as though you OWN that spot. You do that and the job is yours. If the other guy does it better, the spot is his. Are you up for the challenge or would you rather play it safe and perhaps not even get a start at Colorado state???

And as for the ridiculousness of your idea of improvement....so I take a test, I get 2 challenges/questions out of 12 correct. I get a 16.67% and there is no curve. The year prior I got 3 out of 12 challenges/questions correct? I got a 25. The two years prior I was at 5 out of 12 That is I scored a 41.67%. I don't see this as improvement nor do I see it as a program on the rise. In fact you say we can't go much lower. Well I agree with you. However, even if we get back to 5 wins...I do not see that as a program on the rise. Yes it is an improvement but when your still failing...YOU DON'T DESERVE A TROPHY or any sort of congratulation...Hey you improved. No, you guys still lost. You want to motivate and cheer mediocrity...go ahead...let me know where you sit...cause I don't want to be anywhere near you. I don't boo the teams I am a fan of...I give them silence. I don't say well look where you have been, your doing great compared to that. When they are out of the mud/, then I will say they are on the rise. Going from an F to an F+ is still a failure and neither one looks good. And even if they improve for one season, to say they are on the rise...I think you need more than one upward data point. Lets say they win 5 games this year...great, they improved but still failed but then next year lets say they win only 4...the previous year will be labeled a fluke at 5 wins. I believe in one step at a time...but I would rather walk softly and carry a big stick than brag loudly about how big my twig is!

And, I would rather keep silent about the small progress we may make and allow my voice to be saved for when the team shows true success.

Yawn, You done?

Context
[ ˈkänˌtekst ] noun - the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed:
"the decision was taken within the context of planned cuts in spending"
synonyms: circumstances · conditions · factors · state of affairs · situation · background · scene · setting · frame of reference · contextual relationship · text · subject · theme · topic

Under your hypothetical, 7 wins is failing too. that is only 58.3%. Fs starts at 65.

I answer ALL the questions when I take a test. I don't hand it in and leave half way through. There were 12 questions on the first portion of the test and, admittedly, the results weren't good, But when there is at least a second half of the test with at least 12 more questions, I finish it. Especially if I have the opportunity to trade in my dull wood pencil for a never-need-sharpening mechanical.

No one thought the program was going to be fixed in a single year. If that was your expectation, it's on you for being unreasonable.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Incidentally, when did this become what Coach Diaco does? My original post is in reference to what UConn's new Junior College transfer QB said...

Husky25

Reaction Score

Everything you say there is absolutely correct. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not whistling past the graveyard. However I would add that the new coach wasn't cooking in a full service kitchen. There was talent on last years team, no doubt. I don't think it was very wide spread, or in some fairly important areas. As far as portraying hope, While the jury is out, being on the positive side of neutral makes ME feel better than being negative. Being negative doesn't make me money or make me happy.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The last time we saw the kids in action, they rolled over and died at home to a winless team.

Sorry but after last season I want more than quotes and so and so added 35 pounds of muscle.

How about two more years of experience?

Look I wanted to see them win a conference championship last year. But its wasn't realaistic with vince lombardi coaching them.

So, again, I dont' really care if you don't buy in. The kids buy in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom