Gilbert commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Gilbert commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm being serious here, is there a more delusional fanbase than cuse? They're out of touch with reality

We have our moments, I'm sure. But they must breed them dumb up there.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This kid could have the best crossover in Uconn history . Congrats! I'm pumped.This helps me cope with the loss of VJ King.

There are many reasons why it's a good thing that Billy ("Mr. ACC") Packer isn't announcing CBB games any longer on TV, one of which being we'd have to listen to him incessantly complain about this kid's crossover dribble being an uncalled traveling violation every time he does it.

Reaction Score
There are many reasons why it's a good thing that Billy ("Mr. ACC") Packer isn't announcing CBB games any longer on TV, one of which being we'd have to listen to him incessantly complain about this kid's crossover dribble being an uncalled traveling violation every time he does it.

But it wouldn't be a travel (carry) if it was an ACC team mind you!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You've never been on this board after a loss?
Lol yeah. It's sad. But it seems those accounts only come out after a loss, to troll. you dont see them during the offseason or when we're winning

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

Billy Packer could beat a dead horse at times, especially about Chris Smith. On the other hand, he was consistently very positive toward UConn during the UConn games from 2002 through 2006. In fact, he practically gushed over UConn many, many times. He really recognized and highlighted the talent and the depth of those teams.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

How did that work?

You saw the guy's name and needed to complain about something so you went back 25 years to find something?

Let it go.

Reaction Score
What a great pickup. Two top-tier recruit pg's between Adams and Gilbert that probably won't be 1-and-done or two-and-done over next two years and both can handle and score A decent chance they can be 4 year players. Control the backcourt - have a great chance to be real real good.

Very excited about this pickup.

Reaction Score
KO is building a monster team. We had some legitimate concerns a year ago, but he's closing on some monster commitments that fill short term gaps and are building for the future.

There can't be many programs that have had a better offseason than us.

Reaction Score
What a great pickup. Two top-tier recruit pg's between Adams and Gilbert that probably won't be 1-and-done or two-and-done over next two years and both can handle and score A decent chance they can be 4 year players. Control the backcourt - have a great chance to be real real good.

Very excited about this pickup.

I think there is more of a chance that Gilbert will be a 4 year player due to his size. I see Adams as a 2-3 year player.

Reaction Score
I think there is more of a chance that Gilbert will be a 4 year player due to his size. I see Adams as a 2-3 year player.

I saw Boatright as a 2-3 year player when he came in too. I wouldn't be surprised if Adams was here for 2-3 years but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed all 4 years either.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I saw Boatright as a 2-3 year player when he came in too. I wouldn't be surprised if Adams was here for 2-3 years but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed all 4 years either.
Adams is much bigger and much more highly rated. Boat was always going to be a 4 year player at his size unless he wanted to head over seas. Adams is a totally different story.

Reaction Score
Adams is much bigger and much more highly rated. Boat was always going to be a 4 year player at his size unless he wanted to head over seas. Adams is a totally different story.

Not necessarily, performance was also a major factor, Shane Larkin was in the same recruiting class, pretty much had the same physical and athletic profile, and he was able to leave after 2 years as a first round pick. 5'10"-6'0" players do leave early.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not necessarily, performance was also a major factor, Shane Larkin was in the same recruiting class, pretty much had the same physical and athletic profile, and he was able to leave after 2 years as a first round pick. 5'10"-6'0" players do leave early.
Very, very rarely. Especially when he was primarily playing the 2. Was anyone ever worried Ryan was going to leave because he was going to be drafted in to the NBA???

Reaction Score
Very, very rarely. Especially when he was primarily playing the 2. Was anyone ever worried Ryan was going to leave because he was going to be drafted in to the NBA???

I wasn't worried because I didn't think he was good enough, which was my point. You can be a 5'11"ish PG and leave school early and get drafted/make a roster, there's plenty of recent examples.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I would hope Adams isn't a 4 year player, that would mean something went wrong along the way with his development.
A sign of the crappy days of modern men's hoops. It's bad if a kid stays 4 years because it means he wasn't good enough to get out of town earlier. Not really a good thing to my Neanderthal mind. Frankly I hope the kid is great but would like to stay to finish his four years, but then again, that would make him a fool, right?

Reaction Score
Got to love Syracuse fans. The "Dream School" comment is meaningless all these kids say that stuff, maybe growing up he loved Syracuse but UConn's style of play is more suited for him.

Also, Chris McCullough said that UConn was his dream school at one point too. I've heard a few players say Uconn was their dream school and go elsewhere. Battle may not even go to Syracuse and when that happens that is going to be hilarious.

Reaction Score
The clips of Gilbert look great, it appears that he has a better handle than Boat had. Since they are about the same height, are their games more alike than not?

Reaction Score
Many of the Orange are a strange lot. Jim Brown was one of the very greats in college athletics, but its been over half a CENTURY since he took a dump there. They stick their noses in the air and are blind to all that is changing around them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A sign of the crappy days of modern men's hoops. It's bad if a kid stays 4 years because it means he wasn't good enough to get out of town earlier. Not really a good thing to my Neanderthal mind. Frankly I hope the kid is great but would like to stay to finish his four years, but then again, that would make him a fool, right?

Even as far back as the late 1990's the running joke was that "Senior Captain" meant a player was CBA bound. The mindset that a four year player isn't NBA ready is at least 20 years old.

Reaction Score

Adams is a consensus 5 star recruit, its a good thing for the program if he lives up to his potential and is able to be a 1st round pick after a couple of years. If he stays all 4 years, he's a 23 year old senior turning 24 in the year he would be drafted, scouts turn their noses up at things like that and view it as a negative. Not really sure how the "trapped in the 70s" set could view Adams becoming a star and making the NBA early as a negative thing. Stuff like that boosts UConn and KOs rep and leads to more highly regarded PGs and othe recruits wanting to come here. I'm not saying UConn should become UK and have a revolving door of players after 1 year, but I don't really see the issue with having a few players every cycle do their 2 or 3 years and then be out, besides winning thats what also helps recruiting. Plus it would be nice to have more UConn alumni in the NBA to pay attention to, the pickings are slim right now compared to what it used to be.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Adams is a consensus 5 star recruit, its a good thing for the program if he lives up to his potential and is able to be a 1st round pick after a couple of years. If he stays all 4 years, he's a 23 year old senior turning 24 in the year he would be drafted, scouts turn their noses up at things like that and view it as a negative. Not really sure how the "trapped in the 70s" set could view Adams becoming a star and making the NBA early as a negative thing. Stuff like that boosts UConn and KOs rep and leads to more highly regarded PGs and othe recruits wanting to come here. I'm not saying UConn should become UK and have a revolving door of players after 1 year, but I don't really see the issue with having a few players every cycle do their 2 or 3 years and then be out, besides winning thats what also helps recruiting. Plus it would be nice to have more UConn alumni in the NBA to pay attention to, the pickings are slim right now compared to what it used to be.
You actually are saying we should live off of a Kentucky approach. I totally understand the current outlook. But what that really says is that pro hoops should reorganized around a true minor league system - not likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom