Gilbert commits to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Gilbert commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
. . . and Brimah has a good chance of leaving early.
Unless an athletic miracle occurs while we are sleeping this offseason, the chances of Brimah leaving for the NBA after this season are between "zero" and "none".

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Unless an athletic miracle occurs while we are sleeping this offseason, the chances of Brimah leaving for the NBA after this season are between "zero" and "none".

Not trying to start this argument again, but Brimah is not the dud that some of you make him out to be. There is buzz surrounding him from outside the program, and even if he doesn't reach the Olajuwon level, the NBA will be on his mind.

Reaction Score
Not trying to start this argument again, but Brimah is not the dud that some of you make him out to be. There is buzz surrounding him from outside the program, and even if he doesn't reach the Olajuwon level, the NBA will be on his mind.

I don't think anyone thinks he's a dud at all, most are very happy we have him at the 5 next year and the year after more than likely. His skill level is good for us but taste is correct in saying there needs to be a big improvement in some real important areas of his game for him to make that move to the draft next year. Hope he does just think he needs both years also.

Reaction Score
cohen was making an observation which it seemed many took to another level in order to complicate this thread. The CAHUSKY said it all best. Everyone is right and guess what...

We have Alterique Gilbert and no one else does! :D

Next
The only one that took it to another level was cohenzone by saying myself and other posters wanted UConn to be UK when I stated pretty directly that's not what I want UConn to be, just what UConn has mostly been since the mid 90s.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Rivals.com national analyst Eric Bossi wrote in May that, “A previous concern with Gilbert had been that he appeared to have relatively average quickness but he has added another gear. On top of that, he changes speeds well and makes great decisions with the ball. In short, Gilbert is a leader and as if he is well on his way to being a very good college point guard.”

Gilbert told Scout.com’s Evan Daniels that he was drawn to UConn, in part, because of the program’s recent track record with diminutive, scoring-minded guards. “I watched their previous guys like [Ryan] Boatright, Kemba [Walker] and Shabazz [Napier] and that's definitely my style of play,” Gilbert said. “I can relate to those guys being a smaller guard and being able to see them be successful helps.”

Reaction Score
Not trying to start this argument again, but Brimah is not the dud that some of you make him out to be.
I love Brimah's effort and place on this team, and I don't think he's a "dud."
But . . . his rebounds per 40 went down from 7.4 to 6.7 in his two years, so far. In his last 15 games last season, he only had two games with more than 5 rebounds. 9 of those games he had 3 or fewer rebounds. Those just don't sound close to NBA numbers to me, particularly given that there was no apparent improvement from year 1 to year 2 in rebounding, he has almost no offensive game, and he is very foul prone against the better competition we faced. Not sure about buzz this and buzz that, and I suppose an NBA team might take a runner on him to throw him in the D-League or Oz for a couple years to see if he can figure out how to rebound, but, lacking a dramatic, exceptional improvement, I can't see him heading for the NBA.

Reaction Score
I love Brimah's effort and place on this team, and I don't think he's a "dud."
But . . . his rebounds per 40 went down from 7.4 to 6.7 in his two years, so far. In his last 15 games last season, he only had two games with more than 5 rebounds. 9 of those games he had 3 or fewer rebounds. Those just don't sound close to NBA numbers to me, particularly given that there was no apparent improvement from year 1 to year 2 in rebounding, he has almost no offensive game, and he is very foul prone against the better competition we faced. Not sure about buzz this and buzz that, and I suppose an NBA team might take a runner on him to throw him in the D-League or Oz for a couple years to see if he can figure out how to rebound, but, lacking a dramatic, exceptional improvement, I can't see him heading for the NBA.

It's worth noting that Thabeet's rebounding rate dropped by 3.7% from his freshman to sophomore year before going up dramatically his junior year. He was starting from a higher baseline than Brimah, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Brimah's rebounding rate, er, rebound this year and get to the point where it's respectable. Brimah has been a better offensive player, though, and wouldn't need to match Thabeet's rebounding to turn himself into a first-round draft pick in 2016.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
cohen was making an observation which it seemed many took to another level in order to complicate this thread. The CAHUSKY said it all best. Everyone is right and guess what...

We have Alterique Gilbert and no one else does! :D

Next

A valiant try, but we're getting closer to "Pass the popcorn."

Reaction Score
Oh great, a Brimah/NBA debate in a Gilbert commitment thread! Yay!

Here's the deal on people talking about something else in a thread, most every thread has a little of that. If you don't like it don't read it or stay away. I get more laughs from those who need to say something rather than those who start something new in a different thread. Much easier to just look the other way, unless it really bothers you. An dif it does the BY is not the place for you.

Oh another poster telling us about a change of topics in thread - YAY!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Here's the deal on people talking about something else in a thread, most every thread has a little of that. If you don't like it don't read it or stay away. I get more laughs from those who need to say something rather than those who start something new in a different thread. Much easier to just look the other way, unless it really bothers you. An dif it does the BY is not the place for you.

Oh another poster telling us about a change of topics in thread - YAY!:rolleyes:
I've been reading this board for nearly a decade, so I don't need you explaining to me that things will stray from the topic. And I didn't tell anyone to stop debating it.

But this same exact Brimah debate has happened in countless threads over the past year. Forgive me if I found it amusing that this subject made its way into a thread about a point guard commit.

You're also just as free to skip over my comments.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone thinks he's a dud at all, most are very happy we have him at the 5 next year and the year after more than likely. His skill level is good for us but taste is correct in saying there needs to be a big improvement in some real important areas of his game for him to make that move to the draft next year. Hope he does just think he needs both years also.
But taste said "zero" to "none" I think the odds are better than zero and definitely better than none

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom