USA 16U Team Trials - General | Page 6 | The Boneyard

USA 16U Team Trials - General

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Exactly! There are three premium PGs (Paige Bueckers, Zia Cooke, Azzi Fudd) left among the 18 finalist.

Actually, Jordan Horston is a 6'1" point guard so there are 4 PG options. He wasn't sure whose twitter handle it was, but it was Jordan Horston. She at least plays point guard for Columbus Africentric. But I guess he doesn't see her as one, or maybe isn't familiar with her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said but who was more talented at the wing spots over Green and Jackson? Nyah & Rickea are rated #1 & #2 overall for 2019 by prospects nation and I can assure you those rankings were no bluff. Rickea Jackson owned Boo Williams last month on a Michigan Crossover team that's talented but it's clear that Rickea is the player that makes the engine go. Nyah has steadily improved all three levels of her game each year and is clearly one of the best guards in her class. It's a head scratcher as to why neither made the team but I hope The USA Committee has made the right choice because they clearly didn't last year.
Also.... did Brea Beal get and invitation to the trials or has her stock dropped? She's an athletic nightmare on the wing and can guard positions 1-4. Last year I thought she was the second best player in the 2019 class (behind brunelle). But I haven't heard anything on her this year.
I'm not picking on your post but there is a general frustrating often misunderstood point it raises. Nyah & Rickea are rated #1 & #2 and that was good enough to get them an invitation to the trails. The trials are exactly that, it is a trials so even if Nyah & Rickea had killed it at Boo Williams or EYBL they were still at a trial. At the trial, in the judgment of the committee, Nyah & Rickea were outperformed by other players. It really is that simple.
Regarding Brea Beal that might have been an age cut off vs. class year thing. Beal is not the only highly rated 2019 player not to appear at these trials, Anaya Peoples and Sammie Puisis also did not tryout for this team. Peoples is way up their in Prospectsnation rating-top 5?.

Reaction Score
This is old news and Kevin is truly one of good guys that are in it for the benefit of the girls. He personally made phone calls to college coaches on behalf of my Daughters and opened up dialogues where I could not have.

The Belles are a great organization and I'm sure he is a good guy but that still doesn't mean he should be selecting players where he could derive some benefit or at least be accused of doing so as is the case this year.......Kalina is only one of many critics who are making this point.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The Belles are a great organization and I'm sure he is a good guy but that still doesn't mean he should be selecting players where he could derive some benefit or at least be accused of doing so as is the case this year..Kalina is only one of many critics who are making this point....
Kenny seems to have many complains these days. Perhaps you, Kalina and those other critics missed an earlier post from a very wise woman which stated that Kevin would not be involved in the selection of Belles players to this team. USA basketball appointed Kevin to that position, Idk, may they though that no Belles players would be trying out for this team? While we are at it let's not have Kara Lawson or Catch weigh in on any player trying out for USA basketball that have pledged to go to TN.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Kenny seems to have many complains these days. Perhaps you, Kalina and those other critics missed an earlier post from a very wise woman which stated that Kevin would not be involved in the selection of Belles players to this team. USA basketball appointed Kevin to that position, Idk, may they though that no Belles players would be trying out for this team? While we are at it let's not have Kara Lawson or Catch weigh in on any player trying out for USA basketball that have pledged to go to TN.

It's not only a tough challenge cutting down all this talent to get to semi-, finalist and, ultimately, the team. You've got to get a range of folks who can offer perspective on what it takes at the competition and also those who can are familiar with the players strengths and weaknesses. For instance, to bring up one of the subjects of this thread, can a guard man both positions well enough? As such, you've got to have a range of people on the selection committee as well. A person who spends a lot of his/her time in the AAU scene can be very helpful.

As Coco brought up, I raised this very same question in an indirect manner early on and it was addressed. Some might still say that person has out-sized influence but you could make the same argument about anyone on the committee if you want (and we've all seen it).

Strikes me that we've all seen enough positive write-ups about Burke, Taylor and Watson beforehand that if you didn't know Lynch was on the committee, one wouldn't bat an eye at their inclusion. Let's see how they (continue to) do....

Reaction Score

No I must have missed that post about Lynch not being able to choose any Belles player......that would certainly make a big difference............generally speaking, there's a big difference between Lynch and somebody like Lawson.........Lynch makes a pretty good living convincing Mom, Dad and their Daughter that playing for the Belles will bring extra regional and national exposure to enhance their college scholarship viability.................Lawson, as far as I know, just recently took a position as a coach for USA Basketball, I have no reason to assume she has any reason to favor one player over another..........I'm just looking to have the most qualified (international experience) and open minded selection committee possible........as I'm sure you know, the USA WBB coaching and player selection has not always been the greatest recently

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kevin Lynch was not allowed to vote for Philly Belle players, nor did he participate in discussions of Philly Belle players. It's fair to ask, however, whether USA BB should have avoided that conflict in the first place. USA BB clearly wanted AAU basketball represented and there's always the risk that conflicts will be created. Lynch has an excellent reputation for honesty and integrity and clearly was recommended to Carol Callan.

It wouldn't be summer if there weren't complaints about USA BB.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No I must have missed that post about Lynch not being able to choose any Belles player. that would certainly make a big difference..

I have it on good authority that Kevin Lynch will not be present for discussions about Philly Belle players nor will he be permitted to vote for their inclusion on the final roster.

Generally speaking, there's a big difference between Lynch and somebody like Lawson....Lynch makes a pretty good living convincing Mom, Dad and their Daughter that playing for the Belles will bring extra regional and national exposure to enhance their college scholarship viability.......Lawson, as far as I know, just recently took a position as a coach for USA Basketball, I have no reason to assume she has any reason to favor one player over another.....I'm just looking to have the most qualified (international experience) and open minded selection committee possible...as I'm sure you know, the USA WBB coaching and player selection has not always been the greatest recently

Playing for the Belles does bring extra regional and national exposure. Specifically speaking, you are missing my point which is: look hard enough and you will find a reason for bias within anyone directly involved in the selection process. See @Dillon77 post. Kevin used to work for Belles (perhaps still does) Kara Lawson attended TN. You have no reason to assume that either person brings a bias to this selection process because of what the did prior. Leave that kind of idle speculation to the tin foil brigade on the orange board. I'm pretty sure the committee has the same goal as you (selecting most qualified), international experience figures very little into U16 selection and I'm OK with decisions of USA basketball recently.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I get really annoyed with all the 'experts' who every year claim bias and or incompetence from the selection committee. USA basketball at all levels is set up to create a committee that has representatives from a range of stake holders - specific to the junior selection committee I believe they always have one AAU stakeholder who this cycle is from the Philly Belles. They also have a HS coach (from TX), two former pro/USA players, former USA junior HC, two college coaches (not D1) and Carol Callan. At age 16 and under ranking services are pretty meaningless though no one seemed to have a problem with the invitees selection by USA and the pay your way adjustment to the selection has opened the door for some lower exposure kids to get seen and occasionally selected.

As others stated the trial process at U16 is the first chance for any of these kids to be evaluated in a meaningful way against comparable players in a mix and match setting where AAU/HS team quality and competition is taken out of the equation. I am sure a certain amount of previous exposure creeps into the evaluation by individuals who have seen some of these players in different competitions, but the primary evaluation is based on the 4 days in CO and how individuals perform there and how they integrate with the other players and the coaches.

Becoming a participant in USA committees is a high honor that people take seriously - and while they may arrive with their own biases and quirks they work very hard to conform to the USA ethos and to set aside those biases for the good of the committee they serve on. That is in stark contrast to all those outside 'experts' whose primary self interests are never far from the surface. The idea that one AAU representative out of 8 members of the committee can railroad the selection process is pretty silly, or that a group of 8 disparate members brought together for a selection cycle is rife with 'politics' that exhibits a bias against one AAU organization, one state, or one region and for another.

One pretty consistent comment from all the outside evaluation was that this cycle of junior talent is far superior to the previous one - going so far as to say that few if any of the previous U16/U17 team members would have made it through to the last two selection pools in this year's cycle. While I am not sure of that (I continue to fault the coaching at least as much as the selection/talent), it does point to another issue that we all see in both incoming college classes and WNBA drafts - they are cyclical and especially at the very top end. An U16 team that has a Stewart, Parker, Moore, etc. is better able to thrive than one that does not and a lot of years those types of players are not available. As international competition improves, age specific teams that are only drawing one a few years of talent as opposed to the NT that is selecting from 15 years of talent will remain very cyclical. And USA dominance for the NT team is going to be strained in this coming cycle in a similar way to the 2006 bronze WC team that was very young and missing the leadership from an older generation some of whom returned to lead the 2008 Olympic gold effort before finally retiring.

This was my favorite comment so far from 'outside experts'

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I get really annoyed with all the 'experts' who every year claim bias and or incompetence from the selection committee. USA basketball at all levels is set up to create a committee that has representatives from a range of stake holders - specific to the junior selection committee I believe they always have one AAU stakeholder who this cycle is from the Philly Belles. They also have a HS coach (from TX), two former pro/USA players, former USA junior HC, two college coaches (not D1) and Carol Callan. At age 16 and under ranking services are pretty meaningless though no one seemed to have a problem with the invitees selection by USA and the pay your way adjustment to the selection has opened the door for some lower exposure kids to get seen and occasionally selected.

As others stated the trial process at U16 is the first chance for any of these kids to be evaluated in a meaningful way against comparable players in a mix and match setting where AAU/HS team quality and competition is taken out of the equation. I am sure a certain amount of previous exposure creeps into the evaluation by individuals who have seen some of these players in different competitions, but the primary evaluation is based on the 4 days in CO and how individuals perform there and how they integrate with the other players and the coaches.

Becoming a participant in USA committees is a high honor that people take seriously - and while they may arrive with their own biases and quirks they work very hard to conform to the USA ethos and to set aside those biases for the good of the committee they serve on. That is in stark contrast to all those outside 'experts' whose primary self interests are never far from the surface. The idea that one AAU representative out of 8 members of the committee can railroad the selection process is pretty silly, or that a group of 8 disparate members brought together for a selection cycle is rife with 'politics' that exhibits a bias against one AAU organization, one state, or one region and for another.

One pretty consistent comment from all the outside evaluation was that this cycle of junior talent is far superior to the previous one - going so far as to say that few if any of the previous U16/U17 team members would have made it through to the last two selection pools in this year's cycle. While I am not sure of that (I continue to fault the coaching at least as much as the selection/talent), it does point to another issue that we all see in both incoming college classes and WNBA drafts - they are cyclical and especially at the very top end. An U16 team that has a Stewart, Parker, Moore, etc. is better able to thrive than one that does not and a lot of years those types of players are not available. As international competition improves, age specific teams that are only drawing one a few years of talent as opposed to the NT that is selecting from 15 years of talent will remain very cyclical. And USA dominance for the NT team is going to be strained in this coming cycle in a similar way to the 2006 bronze WC team that was very young and missing the leadership from an older generation some of whom returned to lead the 2008 Olympic gold effort before finally retiring.

Outstanding post.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dan Olsen reviews Brunelle, Fudd, and Watson:

With superb interior footwork and a consistent delivery, Watson is emerging as an elite face up-4 prospect. She is skilled in the block, outmaneuvering defenders and finishing in traffic, utilizing either hand to finish plays.

Watson maintains an edge over her competition with a consistent energy level and a motor that runs hard, especially on the glass. She picks up bonus points in the paint on effort alone. And she seems to have fun doing it.

The most anticipated young prospect in recent memory, here's what you need to know about Fudd: She has the "it" factor in her game. Twelve players from the 2021 class attended trials; one remains.

Smooth off the dribble with physical attributes ahead of her time, the 14-year-old guard from The Potomac School (McLean, Virginia) simply delivers. And delivers. And delivers again.

Fudd, listed at 5-11 by USA Basketball, has an uncanny ability to create spacing while elevating on her shot and softly releasing the ball inside 15 feet, defying those taller than her.

No. 1 prospects Samantha Brunelle, Kylee Watson, Azzi Fudd impress at USA Basketball U16 trials

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting to note the geography involved with the NE seeming to recover from a fairly down cycle coming out of HS the past few classes and people seeing lots of talent from TX and the west coast. NJ, NY, MA and down the coast to VA seem to be producing again at the HS level.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Highlight package from the trials.

Includes Brunelle, Boston, Burke, Hayley Jones, Watson, Cooke, Fudd, Bueckers, and Rickea Jackson.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Amen and more.

Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Really surprised they would "leak" these before being declared publicly.

You can add Aliyah Boston to that list. Maddie Burke must not have made it if Flynn didn't mention her.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to The Boston family and Aliyah on making the 2017 USA U16 team. We are incredibly proud. Best of luck in Argentin

DBKa-2oUAAEfSqA.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom