USA 16U Team Trials - General | Page 5 | The Boneyard

USA 16U Team Trials - General

Reaction Score
"Now, the team will cut down to 12 and leave next Sunday for Argentina"

Aren't these kiddies supposed to be in school!!!!;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
They said it was all Geno's doing and the U19 coach Jen Rizzotti although they eventually realized Jen is not the coach of the team (and Geno has nothing to do with the U19 team).

She is the chair of the selection committee though.

I don't buy conspiracies to somehow reward UConn. UConn isn't the only school after Williams.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
"Now, the team will cut down to 12 and leave next Sunday for Argentina"

Aren't these kiddies supposed to be in school!!!!;)

Two New Jersey players (Miller and Watson), still in the running and Celeste Taylor must be overcoming/developing that mid-range jumper pretty nicely to make the finalist grouping. That's three Belles (Watson, Taylor, Burke) in the final 18, right? Perhaps Mr. Lynch and his staff are developing their talent very well....I know ND has one Belle in the Class of 17 (M. Vaughn) and '18 (Ms. Cosgrove).

Reaction Score
Two New Jersey players (Miller and Watson), still in the running and Celeste Taylor must be overcoming/developing that mid-range jumper pretty nicely to make the finalist grouping. That's three Belles (Watson, Taylor, Burke) in the final 18, right? Perhaps Mr. Lynch and his staff are developing their talent very well....I know ND has one Belle in the Class of 17 (M. Vaughn) and '18 (Ms. Cosgrove).

Nice to see NJ players make some noise.............there are at least three more coming 7th/8th grders Justine Pissot, Sophie Sabino and Destiny Adams.........all should be top 100 nationally in the next few years and all have received serious interest from top 20 programs already.......should be fun too watch

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
BTW: a report from Bret McCormick says that Boston is probably the best post in her class [2019].
Mike Flynn calls her the best post in high school.

Aliyah and Samantha have very different skill sets....they would flourish together in Storrs.
Maybe they would be something like Stewie and Tina - could you imagine both of them on the Huskies at the same time?!!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I wonder if Owusu didn't make it on name recognition. Heard absolutely nothing about her all weekend, not one tweet from any observer. Kallina was the only one who spoke about her and said she wasn't all that good.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Owusu didn't make it on name recognition. Heard absolutely nothing about her all weekend, not one tweet from any observer. Kallina was the only one who spoke about her and said she wasn't all that good.

She may not have played all that well over the weekend but she had an outstanding high school year........as one of the experts said, they may judge some players on their recent seasons not just their play over several days in Colorado............

Reaction Score
She is the chair of the selection committee though.

I don't buy conspiracies to somehow reward UConn. UConn isn't the only school after Williams.

Isn't it interesting that when it was the national team the talk was that the coach actually picks the team and the selection committee just rubberstamps their picks and now with the U16 team it's the selection committee that is deciding everything and the coach is uninvolved. :rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Isn't it interesting that when it was the national team the talk was that the coach actually picks the team and the selection committee just rubberstamps their picks and now with the U16 team it's the selection committee that is deciding everything and the coach is uninvolved. :rolleyes:

And when the senior national team is chosen next year it will be the special advisor who picks the team. It's tough to keep up.

Reaction Score
Like I said before these trials started, picking a team of 12 from 130-140 very talented players, many with similar skill sets, over a couple of days is extremely difficult and will inevitably lead to some questionable choices

Reaction Score
  1. Kenny Kallina‏ @KennyKallina 3h3 hours ago
    Replying to @jasonni53764732 @MikeFlynn826 @niccdontcare
    Everyone trying to promote kids who come to their events & affiliated with to drive revenue it makes sense but very real it's happeningKenny Kallina‏ @KennyKallina 3h3 hours ago
  2. Replying to @MikeFlynn826 @Derek_A1779
    You keep addressing me ... stupid is questioning the main stream and jealous is identifying the major bias and politics involved

Kenny Kallina‏ @KennyKallina 3h3 hours ago
    Replying to @MikeFlynn826 @niccdontcare
    There are huge biases in USAB everyone sees but no one will point out I know you spend a lot of time calling me stupid but it's real

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kallina's biggest beef seems to be with the three Philly Belles on the team but he himself loved Celeste Taylor's play and acted like Maddie Burke would be a fine addition as well. Which leaves just Watson. And I should add Kallina was about the only onlooker not to praise Watson over the weekend.

Reaction Score
Kallina's biggest beef seems to be with the three Philly Belles on the team but he himself loved Celeste Taylor's play and acted like Maddie Burke would be a fine addition as well. Which leaves just Watson. And I should add Kallina was about the only onlooker not to praise Watson over the weekend.

That may be true and I'm no fan of Kalina due to his anti-UConn attitude but I do think it's fair that those choosing the team should have no outside interest in selecting certain players over others.........I'm sure they could have come up with one more nonaligned talent evaluator to add to the mix

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That may be true and I'm no fan of Kalina due to his anti-UConn attitude but I do think it's fair that those choosing the team should have no outside interest in selecting certain players over others....I'm sure they could have come up with one more nonaligned talent evaluator to add to the mix

I was under the impression that Flynn wasn't involved in the selection process.

The fact of the matter is that the Philly Belles often have loads of talented players that go on to future success elsewhere. Kallina is constantly miffed that the players he coaches don't make it but how many of them are high-level prospects? His drumbeat that everyone hates Florida---and the south??---doesn't cut it.

Reaction Score
Some of the "men" involved in big roles with recruits these days spend more time attacking/belittling each other in defense of their egos versus actually promoting the girls that are making them money off of claiming to be recruiting and talent experts.

With that said, there is a lot of truth to the politics at play with USAB. However, the 18 players left are all great selections. My only surprises are Nyah Green, Te-Hina Paopao and Rickea Jackson omissions. With Nyah and Rickea a logical argument can be made for their omissions because there is a lot of talent at the wing positions. But there is not a lot of pure point guards nor is there depth at the 5 spot (although Boston, Brink and Baldwin are all outstanding prospects). The lack of depth at point guard made it all the more confusing that they chose a number of combo guards over some of the few quality point guards like Paopao or Deja Kelly. To be fair though Zia Cooke will lead this team at the point guard spot and I think it has been unanimously agreed upon that she dominated the trials and Paige Bueckers along with Jordan Horston will probably the back up point guards.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but the youngest player, Azzi Fudd, is named after Jennifer Azzi. She is a 2021 but is definitely a player to keep an eye on. Early interest from a large number of major programs.

Reaction Score
Some of the "men" involved in big roles with recruits these days spend more time attacking/belittling each other in defense of their egos versus actually promoting the girls that are making them money off of claiming to be recruiting and talent experts.

With that said, there is a lot of truth to the politics at play with USAB. However, the 18 players left are all great selections. My only surprises are Nyah Green, Te-Hina Paopao and Rickea Jackson omissions. With Nyah and Rickea a logical argument can be made for their omissions because there is a lot of talent at the wing positions. But there is not a lot of pure point guards nor is there depth at the 5 spot (although Boston, Brink and Baldwin are all outstanding prospects). The lack of depth at point guard made it all the more confusing that they chose a number of combo guards over some of the few quality point guards like Paopao or Deja Kelly. To be fair though Zia Cooke will lead this team at the point guard spot and I think it has been unanimously agreed upon that she dominated the trials and Paige Bueckers along with Jordan Horston will probably the back up point guards.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but the youngest player, Azzi Fudd, is named after Jennifer Azzi. She is a 2021 but is definitely a player to keep an eye on. Early interest from a large number of major programs.

I agree with everything you said but who was more talented at the wing spots over Green and Jackson? Nyah & Rickea are rated #1 & #2 overall for 2019 by prospects nation and I can assure you those rankings were no bluff. Rickea Jackson owned Boo Williams last month on a Michigan Crossover team that's talented but it's clear that Rickea is the player that makes the engine go. Nyah has steadily improved all three levels of her game each year and is clearly one of the best guards in her class. It's a head scratcher as to why neither made the team but I hope The USA Committee has made the right choice because they clearly didn't last year.

Also.... did Brea Beal get and invitation to the trials or has her stock dropped? She's an athletic nightmare on the wing and can guard positions 1-4. Last year I thought she was the second best player in the 2019 class (behind brunelle). But I haven't heard anything on her this year.

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that Flynn wasn't involved in the selection process.

The fact of the matter is that the Philly Belles often have loads of talented players that go on to future success elsewhere. Kallina is constantly miffed that the players he coaches don't make it but how many of them are high-level prospects? His drumbeat that everyone hates Florida---and the south??---doesn't cut it.

Philadelphia Belles Director Kevin Lynch Picked By USA Basketball

Philadelphia Belles are proud to announce that Belles Director Kevin Lynch has been selected by USA Basketball to be part of the USA Women’s Basketball Team Selection Committee for 2017 through 2020. A link to the full article can be found here. Congratulations Kevin!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fudd has yet to play HS ball and has already received several major offers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Philadelphia Belles Director Kevin Lynch Picked By USA Basketball
Philadelphia Belles are proud to announce that Belles Director Kevin Lynch has been selected by USA Basketball to be part of the USA Women’s Basketball Team Selection Committee for 2017 through 2020. A link to the full article can be found here. Congratulations Kevin!
This is old news and Kevin is truly one of good guys that are in it for the benefit of the girls. He personally made phone calls to college coaches on behalf of my Daughters and opened up dialogues where I could not have.

Reaction Score
Fudd has yet to play HS ball and has already received several major offers.

She's very talented but will be under a lot of pressure to justify her selection in the coming days..........I'm rooting for her to really play well

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom