UConn Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Villanova Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coach Hurley to his players ..
“ Keep your composure. Don’t talk to the ref’s, I’m not “

My son and I laughed out loud when he said that.
He actually adhered to that quote by keeping his composure after some of the non calls were happening.
And the team followed suit, largely ignoring the show when the officials openly filleted Villanova throughout the entire second half.

Reaction Score
On defense when Clingan is close to the basket, I see him leaving the ball handler too much instead of helping his teammate. I think he’s not helping out because he’s too focused with getting back to his man that he’s assigned to while also not wanting to draw a foul. Regardless, he’s great to have in the paint and will grow to become a better defender.

Reaction Score
Huge win on the road against a quality team. Starters all came up big. Defense was tremendous and the effort was high start to finish. It sends a message to the league and hopefully the committee. Thoroughly jobbed by the refs in the second half but they didn’t let it affect their composure. This team is maturing.

It was 5 on 8 the whole 2nd half. Most blatant home whistle I’ve seen in a while…Nova with only 4 fouls with 2min left was high comedy with the crimes they were committing on D in the lane on our drives.

That being said, we kept our composure, made big shots, played stifling D.

Absolutely great win.

Also: Hurley and Co. just can’t win the close tough games away. Horrible win!

Hurley improves to 37-13 in games agains quality BE opponents decided by 10 pts or more.

Reaction Score
Huskies have the answers to pass any test that can be thrown their way. Great team win. Great chemistry among the players.

How about Hawkins last 3 in front of UConn’s bench, defender was up tight and the Hawk rose and shot before the guy could even start to jump. Impressive.

Reaction Score
The word for tonight: Toughness.

Man I hate the Nova brand of basketball. Great to beat them twice this year to start some payback.

The guys have each others back, and coach has theirs. It's great to see. Nice to ruin that crowd's evening.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think you have to go back many years to when Calhoun was coaching. Ben Gordon?
I’d say Jalen Adams was really poised his freshman year. He took over in that OT game against Cincy in the AAC tourney. Bouknight’s first career game he made a buzzer beater as well or something along the lines of that.

Karaban is REALLY good. But we’ve had many a freshman step up throughout the years. Boatright’s first career game he sank some clutch FTs against FSU too in the Atlantic.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It comes down to the tourney’s.

1677986253610.gif

Reaction Score
Great win tonight. Offense down the stretch was still questionable, but Nova could never really threaten because the defense was absolutely elite. Daniels, Dixon, and Slater were absolutely clamped up

Another 20 piece for Hawkins, the jumper wasn't going down but he's automatic at the line

Alex Karaban might have just won BE ROY from that game.

Newton's box score isn't great but I think he played a lot better than the stats show. Even when his shots don't go in, the offense is completely different when he's engaged

Andre Jackson. He has his confidence completely back and it's contagious. And if he's making his open rhythm threes? Completely different player

And how about 13-14 FT shooting? Hard to climb back into a game when the other team is knocking everything down from the line

This team is rolling going into March. We've checked off most boxes in the last month. We beat great teams (ran MU and PC off the floor), we beat the teams we were supposed to beat (GTown, SHU, SJU, DePaul), and we capped off the regular season by CONVINCINGLY winning a tough game on the road

Next week should be really really fun.

Reaction Score
I've always loved how the Big East is known as the most rugged league in the country but the constant grabbing on the perimeter and shoving down low that isn't getting called does the teams no favors when it's NCAA tournament time and it needs to be dealt with in the Big East office.

UConn is by far the least impacted by it when we play outside the league because we don't rely on that style and the refs really don't help us much. I have a feeling the freedom of movement is going to make our guys feel pretty damn comfortable and confident when we leave league play.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Defense was amazing tonight. Jackson continues to be an engine. Teams are now legitimately afraid of him in transition and it gets other guys that much more open.

Can’t say enough great things about AK. Hes gotten revenge against every 4 he played earlier in the year and offensively is so consistent.

We are poised for a run. Hottest team in the Big East heading to NYC.

Reaction Score
Karaban with 16/6/4 with 4 blocks on 75% shooting. 1 TO. No hesitation to put the game away at the line. Dagger before the halftime buzzer.

When is the last time we had a freshman this poised in the biggest moments?
Jeremy Lamb probably

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Coach Hurley to his players ..
“ Keep your composure. Don’t talk to the ref’s, I’m not “

My son and I laughed out loud when he said that.
He actually adhered to that quote by keeping his composure after some of the non calls were happening.
Hurley has made every necessary adjustment this year with this being one of the biggest. Now it’s time for the tournament tests. Can’t wait!!!

Reaction Score
Sanogo was +18 and Clingan was -8. I know it’s a bad matchup for Clingan and he has outdone Sanogo on +/- in other games, but games like this are why Sanogo gets so many more minutes, end of story. He’s a more versatile matchup with most teams. Clingan will get much better next year as he improves his lateral quickness and perimeter D
Here’s what I don’t understand about Clingan. In our OOC season, his hands were unreal. Any ball that he could get a hand on, he caught and did something with. That hasn’t been the case for weeks and I don’t get it. There are a lot of struggles freshmen have as the season wears on, but why would catching balls around him be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom