UConn Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Villanova Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That part is true. The thing I find a little strange is that revisionist history has portrayed BY's crying/desperation/scalding criticism of Hurley and certain players (Ajax, Newton, Sanogo in particular) as now being way softer than it really was and it is also being portrayed as justified. I don't have a problem with those of us who gave legit criticism without the insults and doomsday trashing. But there was a lot of slamming of coach and the guys. A lot of it was not constructive
No doubt. Especially for Andre, I felt bad reading some of it because it seemed like a few were giving up on him. I’m not a fan of player criticism like that but Hurley’s was deserved. They are all playing better because of the adjustments he made to help put them in position to succeed. Now he gets to get praised for those adjustments and will continue to the more he wins games.

That’s how it works when you make the big bucks and run things. Lol

Reaction Score
I felt Joey played on man defense really well. He had a beautiful rebound and then dribbled into the defense for a costly turnover and a second forced turnover but he gave good minutes not allowing his player to score. I felt Clingan was the weak link of the three subs and was more a factor in that score differential reduction.

Joey wasn’t good and DC was unfairly treated by the refs in his few minutes. Having said that these 2 didn’t bring much to the table yesterday at all but I fully expect they will be huge to our success moving forward.

Alleyne missed some looks but made a great drive and 1, and always plays good defense. He’s a big piece as well as we move along.

Reaction Score
if jackson plays like this every night we are a top-3 team.
Newton also. When he doesnt turn the ball over, hits shots and free throws this team is tought to beat. Id be willing to bet Ajaxs best games come when Newton has had a good game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Best takeaway is a comfortable win against a decent opponent on the road when Sanogo had an off night offensively and Hawk was 3-11 from 3. Two months ago, we lose this game.

This team is the master of its own destiny. There isn't a team in the country that can beat them if they are playing well on both ends. It's 100% on them. This team has more options than any I've seen in a long time. Of course, that team was the 2006 squad, so we're clearly doomed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Third, the idea that Hurley, who has brought us back from Ollie's chaotic tenure, has not earned is pay is insulting and ignorant.

Can't let it go can we.................................................. that's ignorance

Brought UConn a NC, no credit for that is ignorance.

Let's all wait until this season ends until the final report card comes out. The recent performance certainly looks good on the staff as the January fall looks bad.. Has to win at least 2 games in this year's dance - minimum.
The talent is there, no question at all.
First - the NBE Tournament

Reaction Score
Third, the idea that Hurley, who has brought us back from Ollie's chaotic tenure, has not earned is pay is insulting and ignorant.

Can't let it go can we.................................................. that's ignorance

Let's all wait until this season ends until the final report card comes out. The recent performance certainly looks good on the staff as the January fall looks bad.. Has to win at least 2 games in this year's dance - minimum.
That's where I am at, too. I love the way this team is playing, but let's see how everything plays out. Providence will be a tough first match. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that team that got blown out by Seton Hall is really that bad and the same team UConn will see.

Reaction Score

I believe "chaotic" accurately describes Ollie's tenure. Never said he doesn't deserve credit for his accomplishments.

Chaos --behavior so unpredictable as to appear random, owing to great sensitivity to small changes in conditions. I think that perfectly describes what went on with Ollie, good and bad.

Reaction Score
When O Connel made one of his complete joke calls in the first half DH went towards midcourt and crouched down into a squat and meditated it out. That was great. Then in the second half lookin his advice to the players that the calls were weighted to Nova and the refs knew it and would come around was great advice and hilarious at the same time. Got the team to not get frustrated and keep playing their best. Donovan being a behemoth is not getting calls when he is bodied and hacked while every touch gets him a foul. Maybe that changes over his career but it is not a given. We won a road game against a tough conference opponent and our bench did not have to go off to do it. Hawk was struggling but hit the dagger 3 in the second half. The players are very focused. Will be and interesting end of the season.

Reaction Score
2) I do agree that this season will be a failure without tournament success. For me, anything less than 3 wins between the BET and the NCAAT and the seat is getting warmer--no way around that. I said at the beginning of the season that this year is ALL about the tournament, and I meant it.
I like the 3 wins between NCAA and BET combined threshold. It's fair because by expected seeds we'll be expected to win about a game in the BET and a little under 2 games in the NCAAs. AND it tracks with improvement from last year (1 win combined each of last 2 years). Going from underachieving to properly achieving is a reasonable step.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I like the 3 wins between NCAA and BET combined threshold. It's fair because by expected seeds we'll be expected to win about a game in the BET and a little under 2 games in the NCAAs. AND it tracks with improvement from last year (1 win combined each of last 2 years). Going from underachieving to properly achieving is a reasonable step.
I think that is setting the bar way too low. 4 wins overall, 2 of which are in the NCAA, has to be the floor. Less than that is a failure, no way to spin it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think that is setting the bar way too low. 4 wins overall, 2 of which are in the NCAA, has to be the floor. Less than that is a failure, no way to spin it.
Yeah if we beat Providence we play a Marquette team that we beat by 20 at home. Hopefully that’s 2 wins right there. Really want to win the whole thing with how we’ve looked to end the season.

Would also love a sweet 16. Really don’t want us to lose as a higher seed this year.

Reaction Score
Yeah if we beat Providence we play a Marquette team that we beat by 20 at home. Hopefully that’s 2 wins right there. Really want to win the whole thing with how we’ve looked to end the season.

Would also love a sweet 16. Really don’t want us to lose as a higher seed this year.
That's an aggressive way to spin "the #1 conference seed who went 17-3 in conference play". It's not untrue, but it's certainly setting the expectations high.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That's an aggressive way to spin "the #1 conference seed who went 17-3 in conference play". It's not untrue, but it's certainly setting the expectations high.
I get it, but it would be nice to see us overachieve. We’ve been playing SO well as of late and we do basically have home court advantage.

Reaction Score
Loved what Andre has been doing in last few games! Play of the game for me was Andre's role in Sanogo's dunk. When Newton was getting double teamed and moving away from hoop, Andre instantly saw this and moved to be in position for pass, which as soon as he got it, he bounced behind him to Adama for the dunk. Great play!

Reaction Score
Loved what Andre has been doing in last few games! Play of the game for me was Andre's role in Sanogo's dunk. When Newton was getting double teamed and moving away from hoop, Andre instantly saw this and moved to be in position for pass, which as soon as he got it, he bounced behind him to Adama for the dunk. Great play!
If Andre keeps playing like this, UConn will go far. The other players feed off his energy.

Reaction Score

If you don't do that, then you can't really have epic melt downs. :)

Reaction Score
Shouldn't the expectations be high? We're the most talented team in the conference, we're going to have a homecourt advantage type atmosphere at MSG, and we're playing the best basketball in the conference right now, IMO. Would you not agree?

We're going to be one of the trendy picks to make the final 4 and even cut down the nets. People around the country see our talent. Making the finals of the Big East tournament and expecting the second weekend isn't exactly shooting for the stars with the team we have. It actually seems to be underselling what we have.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't the expectations be high? We're the most talented team in the conference, we're going to have a homecourt advantage type atmosphere at MSG, and we're playing the best basketball in the conference right now, IMO. Would you not agree?

We're going to be one of the trendy picks to make the final 4 and even cut down the nets. People around the country see our talent. Making the finals of the Big East tournament and expecting the second weekend isn't exactly shooting for the stars with the team we have. It actually seems to be underselling what we have.

If we get to Marquette, that feels like the de facto Big East championship game to me. Other side of the bracket is weaker IMO.

Reaction Score

It's a fair question. In this specific context, the expectation was based on Hurley's seat getting warm. Will I be disappointed if they don't reach both BET finals and Sweet 16 (2 wins in each)? Yeah, especially if we get a 3 seed. But I don't think I'll be calling for Hurley's seat to be warm if we reach Sweet 16 then lose to a 2 seed and lose to 1 seed Marquette in BET semis (3 wins).

Reaction Score
If we get to Marquette, that feels like the de facto Big East championship game to me. Other side of the bracket is weaker IMO.
I think the other side is stronger. Marquette is a very good matchup for us.

Reaction Score

Everything you said is correct. For the neutral observer, this should be UConn's tournament to lose

My guess is that people are just scarred of what happened in March the last two seasons. 2-2 in BET, 0-2 in NCAAT. I don't blame anyone for trying not to get too excited, and I'm a bit guilty of it myself

But we know that Adama Sanogo is unstoppable 1v1, we know Jordan Hawkins is one of the best shooters in the country, and we know that Andre Jackson is the best energy guy in the BE. I know Marquette is #1, but we blew out Marquette and Providence the last time we played them at home, and these games will be diluted home games for us. No reason we shouldn't be able to roll through the first 2 rounds, let's see what adjustments Cooley has waiting for us

Reaction Score
On these two points...

1) That isn't the .500 Nova team we played earlier this season at home. They were on a hot streak, and playing their best basketball with Whitmore improving and Moore back in the rotation.

2) I do agree that this season will be a failure without tournament success. For me, anything less than 3 wins between the BET and the NCAAT and the seat is getting warmer--no way around that. I said at the beginning of the season that this year is ALL about the tournament, and I meant it.

That being said, you're acting like losing in the NCAAT is inevitable. There's no indication that we aren't talented enough to win a few games. Being that much of a negative Nancy does nothing.
I usually agree with you but the UCONN seat isn’t warm at all. Not even a little. He’s doing a great job. He brought us from near the bottom of the AAC to a top ten team. Sheesh.

Reaction Score
I usually agree with you but the UCONN seat isn’t warm at all. Not even a little. He’s doing a great job. He brought us from near the bottom of the AAC to a top ten team. Sheesh.

Happy to agree to disagree on this one. I probably weight post-season success more than most folks.

Reaction Score

I agree with all of that, but PC is still a solid tournament team and Marquette is very very good. To put it into perspective every team besides Houston would probably have a sub 50% chance of winning both of those games back to back.

Reaction Score
I agree with all of that, but PC is still a solid tournament team and Marquette is very very good. To put it into perspective every team besides Houston would probably have a sub 50% chance of winning both of those games back to back.
True and many people are guilty of recency bias. Providence is going to come out angry after they got embarrassed by Seton Hall at the AMP on senior day. UConn will have to match that intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom