UConn Villanova Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Villanova Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why would he? Some didn't just offer constructive criticism. They crushed him. Didn't even allow for the fact that he could possibly get the swagger back

Why would he? Because they’re UConn fans maybe ya think. I mean you get north of 3M a year do your job and accept the good and the bad. No one hated DH (haters lol) but he wasn’t good during their 2-6 slide nor was the team. He’s now a great coach again right so all the DH backers are running their mouths. So the team is playing well, heck yeah he has a lot to do with it right? Then he had a lot to do with the slide too it’s part of the game. Accept it and move on it’s a major program.

As UConn fans we should be happy they’re playing well again and being coached well again and move on, enjoy what’s ahead.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's going to be special
And yet, not flashy. He just plays the game. He reminds me a bit of Jeremy Lamb, in that his stat line, kind of sneaks up on you.

Reaction Score
It may have given him fodder for the future run he put together but it doesn't mean he loves the fans who left the program for dead in January. It was one thing to admit things weren't going well, from a fan point of view, but look back at the threads from that time. I'd shut the door on those fans too. He didn't say "I Hate you all" but it makes sense to say "save those flowers"

At least a couple of them are in this thread now acting like Hurley studied & took to heart their endless unhinged BY rants in January and that was the reason for our turnaround in Feb/March. It’s actually quite cute…

Reaction Score
At least a couple of them are in this thread now acting like Hurley studied & took to heart their endless unhinged BY rants in January and that was the reason for our turnaround in Feb/March. It’s actually quite cute…

It’s quite stupid that you see something in any post that looks like anyone would take credit for assisting him in adjusting. But hey that’s what you do lol. It’s kinda cute in its own way.

pj

Reaction Score
Why would he? Some didn't just offer constructive criticism. They crushed him. Didn't even allow for the fact that he could possibly get the swagger back

Hurley's coaching job this year has been really impressive.

I thought he'd look like a good coach this year because for the first time he had a well constructed roster, and a limited roster will make even the best coaches look bad. But he's impressed me with how he brought the team back from their struggles dealing with opponents who hold and rough up his players and refs who let it happen. Team really looks poised and mentally tough now, and has learned to play their game.

For those who thought Hurley can't learn and grow, he learned about roster construction and implemented a quality reconstruction last offseason, and he learned about dealing with refs and implemented changes there, and he figure out x's and o's changes to deal with the strategies of Big East coaches, who are some of the better x's and o's coaches out there. He's been figuring things out. No reason to think he won't figure out the close games issue too.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Huge win..Great defense..Esp. on Moore by Newton and on Dixon by Adama.. Showed a lot of character tonight..DH managed the game really well..AK -big contribution.. Time for MSG.

24-7..
Hurley coached a great game. I thought he gave Calcaterra too much run. Love California but Nova is the worst matchup for him. And it showed . There was a short stretch in 2nd half where they cut it from 15 to 8 with him out there, and he was just not up for it tonight. It happens. He will have his say before this season is done.
Even Dan Hurley kept his composure with the refs and it rubbed off on the team. Should put that narrative to rest for a bit
That was big. We had legitimate gripes tonight but focusing on that helps nothing. Good job by coach. Clingan was fouled 3000 times , he got zero calls. one thing I’d like to see improvement on with Donovan is to not gesticulate so demonstratively after EVERY call , on both ends. He is going to get fouled a million times here, and he is going to get called for a million more fouls here, throwing your arms out in exasperation on every one of them is pointless.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or, and hear me out, several people here made accurate observations about what had gone wrong because they watch the games and know a little about basketball. Hurley and staff made several changes that ended up addressing the points that any astute observer would have noticed about the team. We aren't D1 coaches. He's not listening to us. Doesn't mean some posters weren't right.

I'm with @pj it's been an impressive coaching job. I had one main reservation about Hurley, that he wasn't very flexible or adaptable. He saw what opponents were doing, learned from it, and changed where needed. It's the kind of thing he didn't do as well the last couple of years. The result is a team that's been tested and has improved in response to it.

Reaction Score
Hurley coached a great game. I thought he gave Calcaterra too much run. Love California but Nova is the worst matchup for him. And it showed . There was a short stretch in 2nd half where they cut it from 15 to 8 with him out there, and he was just not up for it tonight. It happens. He will have his say before this season is done.

That was big. We had legitimate gripes tonight but focusing on that helps nothing. Good job by coach. Clingan was fouled 3000 times , he got zero calls. one thing I’d like to see improvement on with Donovan is to not gesticulate so demonstratively after EVERY call , on both ends. He is going to get fouled a million times here, and he is going to get called for a million more fouls here, throwing your arms out in exasperation on every one of them is pointless.

Bingo AW on all points. Joey was a bad matchup for Nova too physical one on one for his game. He’s been a little careless with the ball for a guy who I normally like with the ball and needs to get better again there as well.

DC was getting hammered, you heard it in TV when Daniels got him on the pass from Hawkins yet no calls. But yes, please don’t look to the bench every bad call to say “coach what hell!”. These stripes are reactive along with crappy your reactions will haunt you. Nova gets away with murder though it’s unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Or, and hear me out, several people here made accurate observations about what had gone wrong because they watch the games and know a little about basketball. Hurley and staff made several changes that ended up addressing the points that any astute observer would have noticed about the team. We aren't D1 coaches. He's not listening to us. Doesn't mean some posters weren't right.

I'm with @pj it's been an impressive coaching job. I had one main reservation about Hurley, that he wasn't very flexible or adaptable. He saw what opponents were doing, learned from it, and changed where needed. It's the kind of thing he didn't do as well the last couple of years. The result is a team that's been tested and has improved in response to it.

But yet, for those who pay any kind of attention, he has already showed he was adaptable & could learn/grow well before January/Feb 2023.

He and his staff adapted quickly to the portal and completely revamped their approach to roster construction in Spring 2022.

Implemented a modern offense (the dreaded “4 out” that every naysayer wanted to burn to the ground during the January swoon). Re-tooled it when other teams adapted. Re-re-tooled it when more adaptation by opponents occurred. Got his team to get back to playing tough smart fundamental D when they got away from it. Consistently showed himself as the more composed head coach of the on the sidelines the last half of the BE schedule in the face of consistent BS officiating.

The problem is, the chronic blind naysayers (you and @mauconnfan are not in this category) will ignore/forget all this with the next “bad game” we may play & will go back to the same hysterical tired rants. It’s a bad look.

Reaction Score
The love Hurley is getting right now is almost as freak out as the criticism he was getting on here when the team was in free fall.

Last night he beat a non-tournament .500 team with a rookie head coach.

To be sure, Hurley has done a great job turning around the midseason slump, deserves credit for it and has positioned his team well for a run in the national tournament.

But until he wins ONE GAME in the tournament he hasn’t done anything here.

And if UConn is a top four seed and doesn’t make the second weekend this season is another failure.

I want Hurley to succeed, am hopeful that he can and have every reason to think he will. And that means bringing championships back to Storrs. It would be absolutely great if he is here another 20 years until we start having the conversation that it’s time for the legend to retire.

But first he has to win games in the National tournament. And he can start by winning the Big East tournament. It’s time for Hurley to earn his pay.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is upset that we are winning. Pretty much all of our criticisms have been addressed and we are on a streak now. Almost everything we complained about has changed. Shoutout to Hurley for making the adjustments throughout the season to have this team looking dangerous down the stretch.
Oh man, good thing he read the Boneyard and figured it out all out!
Until the team loses and then half this board will want to hunt him down

View attachment 84689
it’s just a shame he yet again showed he cannot win close games.

Reaction Score

And if UConn is a top four seed and doesn’t make the second weekend this season is another failure.
This is such a bad take. Hasn’t done anything here? BD do you remember where we were when Hurley took over? Sure we need some tourney wins, but the change in culture, recruiting, coaching, fan engagement, excitement and optimism is stunning.

I never missed games, but this is beyond must-watch now. It is must-get-together-and-watch-now. So fun.

Sure we do need some tourney wins, but BD your take is over the top. You want to talk about failure … there’s probably about 15 teams in the country that wouldn’t trade trajectories with us right now, whether or not we win another game.

Reaction Score
It may have given him fodder for the future run he put together but it doesn't mean he loves the fans who left the program for dead in January. It was one thing to admit things weren't going well, from a fan point of view, but look back at the threads from that time. I'd shut the door on those fans too. He didn't say "I Hate you all" but it makes sense to say "save those flowers"
I contend the best version of Dan Hurley is the one with a chip on his shoulder. That’s the guy I want to bring to battle.

Reaction Score
I can’t express how big a fan I am of Alex Karaban. The kid is a complete player and one of the smartest players on the court as a freshman. He never forces things and always plays under control. Really impressive season for anyone, let alone a freshman. Congrats Alex!!!!
I picked him as my favorite player in that poll a few weeks ago….love what he brings

Reaction Score
I want Hurley to succeed

maury-lie.gif

Reaction Score
The love Hurley is getting right now is almost as freak out as the criticism he was getting on here when the team was in free fall.

To be sure, Hurley has done a great job turning around the midseason slump, deserves credit for it and has positioned his team well for a run in the national tournament.

I want Hurley to succeed, am hopeful that he can and have every reason to think he will. And that means bringing championships back to Storrs. It would be absolutely great if he is here another 20 years until we start having the conversation that it’s time for the legend to retire.

But first he has to win games in the National tournament. And he can start by winning the Big East tournament. It’s time for Hurley to earn his pay.

This is the lamest take out there. First, Villanova was one of the hottest teams in the country coming into this game. Since they have gotten their whole squad back, they have played extremely well. Plus the game was on their court before 21,000. Vegas thought it was a 2 point game.

Second, Hurley has yet to take a fully healthy squad into the NCAAs. More importantly, pretending two games is a meaningful sample size is silly and not supportable.

Third, the idea that Hurley, who has brought us back from Ollie's chaotic tenure, has not earned is pay is insulting and ignorant.

That post is a shameful piece of garbage.

Reaction Score

On these two points...

1) That isn't the .500 Nova team we played earlier this season at home. They were on a hot streak, and playing their best basketball with Whitmore improving and Moore back in the rotation.

2) I do agree that this season will be a failure without tournament success. For me, anything less than 3 wins between the BET and the NCAAT and the seat is getting warmer--no way around that. I said at the beginning of the season that this year is ALL about the tournament, and I meant it.

That being said, you're acting like losing in the NCAAT is inevitable. There's no indication that we aren't talented enough to win a few games. Being that much of a negative Nancy does nothing.

Reaction Score
2) I do agree that this season will be a failure without tournament success. For me, anything less than 3 wins between the BET and the NCAAT and the seat is getting warmer--no way around that. I said at the beginning of the season that this year is ALL about the tournament, and I meant it.

That being said, you're acting like losing in the NCAAT is inevitable. There's no indication that we aren't talented enough to win a few games. Being that much of a negative Nancy does nothing.

Not being negative at all and I apologize if the post came across that way ... I love this group and love cheering for them. I'm a huge Sanogo fan and love watching AJax fly around the court. It's one of the most fun teams to cheer for in a while.

And I absolutely agree that this team is talented enough to win games in the tournament. That's the whole point right there. Hurley needs to get it done. I believe he can and truly hope that he does.

We shall see.

Reaction Score
This is the lamest take out there. First, Villanova was one of the hottest teams in the country coming into this game. Since they have gotten their whole squad back, they have played extremely well. Plus the game was on their court before 21,000. Vegas thought it was a 2 point game.

Second, Hurley has yet to take a fully healthy squad into the NCAAs. More importantly, pretending two games is a meaningful sample size is silly and not supportable.

Third, the idea that Hurley, who has brought us back from Ollie's chaotic tenure, has not earned is pay is insulting and ignorant.

That post is a shameful piece of garbage.
I agree Hurley has done a phenomenal job bringing the program back from the last two years of Ollie's tenure when, after winning a national championship, he seemingly gave up and the program was in utter chaos. Hurley by every measure clearly has the program back on the right track.

Except one. The only one that really matters and that's winning games in the national tournament.

I think this team is talented and Hurley has shown tremendous growth this year in his ability to adapt and keep his emotions in check. He is a good coach and getting better and I believe he is the right person for the job.

But he needs to win games in the tournament. That's all I was saying. Do you not agree with that? Will you be okay if he loses in the first or second round as a three seed? Is losing in the round of 16 OK? Maybe it is, at least it will be progress that hopefully the program can build off of.

Again, I truly want him to succeed and believe he will. But he needs to get it done. It's time.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Oh man, good thing he read the Boneyard and figured it out all out!

it’s just a shame he yet again showed he cannot win close games.
What’s up with some of y’all needing to be this condescending when something was clearly accurate? Did he have to look at the boneyard to adjust? No. Were a lot of the observations from the critics during our slump spot on? Yeah.

We all want the same thing here. Now let’s show the country why we’re known for being the most dangerous program in March :cool:

Reaction Score
On these two points...

1) That isn't the .500 Nova team we played earlier this season at home. They were on a hot streak, and playing their best basketball with Whitmore improving and Moore back in the rotation.

Coach sounds pretty confident about how this team will perform in the tournaments (7:15 mark)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I felt Joey played on man defense really well. He had a beautiful rebound and then dribbled into the defense for a costly turnover and a second forced turnover but he gave good minutes not allowing his player to score. I felt Clingan was the weak link of the three subs and was more a factor in that score differential reduction.

Reaction Score
What’s up with some of y’all needing to be this condescending when something was clearly accurate? Did he have to look at the boneyard to adjust? No. Were a lot of the observations from the critics during our slump spot on? Yeah.

We all want the same thing here. Now let’s show the country why we’re known for being the most dangerous program in March :cool:
That part is true. The thing I find a little strange is that revisionist history has portrayed BY's crying/desperation/scalding criticism of Hurley and certain players (Ajax, Newton, Sanogo in particular) as now being way softer than it really was and it is also being portrayed as justified. I don't have a problem with those of us who gave legit criticism without the insults and doomsday trashing. But there was a lot of slamming of coach and the guys. A lot of it was not constructive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom