Transfer Portal Window 2023 | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah - there's plenty of players in the NBA who couldn't guard a chair and most are the highest paid.
The coaches want defenders but if someone can score or grab boards - they take them
You sound like someone who either doesn't understand basketball at all or doesn't watch the NBA.
Yeah, once upon a time maybe. The ISO era made it easier to hide bad defenders. But not anymore. Modern offense means any weak like gets exposed.

The G League and NBA benches are loaded with gifted offensive players who can't or won't play D. It won't be hard for Hurley to find examples to motivate Castle.

Reaction Score
Yeah, once upon a time maybe. The ISO era made it easier to hide bad defenders. But not anymore. Modern offense means any weak like gets exposed.

The G League and NBA benches are loaded with gifted offensive players who can't or won't play D. It won't be hard for Hurley to find examples to motivate Castle.

You are exactly right. With spacing the way it is, you have to be able to defend on an island.

Bouknight is exhibit A. He's on a blistering hot streak in the G-league (shooting 48% from 3!) and can't find a minute in the NBA because of his defense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You are exactly right. With spacing the way it is, you have to be able to defend on an island.

Bouknight is exhibit A. He's on a blistering hot streak in the G-league (shooting 48% from 3!) and can't find a minute in the NBA because of his defense.
That's the "example" that came to mind.

Reaction Score
Caught Quinnipiac once this year when Iona played them. Jones was their stud: 24 points, 4 threes, 6 boards, 2 steals. I remember his shiftiness and ability to attack the rim.
IMO, underwhelming offer list so far:

Reaction Score
Mind boggling to me that these guys can fail classes still. They have more academic support than they deserve, and the assistant coaches usually are making sure all the underclassmen at least show up to class. Even at the stinkin' d2 level coach was checking my attendance, sending wake up reminders, and I had a tutor for every class if I wanted one. Pretty sure D1 tutors trabel with the team.

We've had players who literally can't read better than a 3rd grade level manage to graduate from UConn in the past few years.

You have got to be really, really, dumb to not manage a C as an athlete.
"We've had players who literally can't read better than a 3rd grade level manage to graduate from UConn in the past few years."

Well, that's a ringing endorsement of UConn for recruits and parents to read. Hopefully you're using lots of hyperbole. And, besides, could all Glenn Miller's work on the catalog have been jettisoned by the new regime in only five years?

Reaction Score
"We've had players who literally can't read better than a 3rd grade level manage to graduate from UConn in the past few years."

Well, that's a ringing endorsement of UConn for recruits and parents to read. Hopefully you're using lots of hyperbole. And, besides, could all Glenn Miller's work on the catalog have been jettisoned by the new regime in only five years?
If the Parents of athletes let their kid get through high school with a 3rd grade reading level I'm not too sure they'll be ashamed of it remaining the same through college. Different priorities from the average student.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

He was being asked to do way too much at Cuse and obviously can’t defend well, but he is a shooter. Would be funny to see him do better here than he ever did at Cuse too. Probably not a fit but curious to see his market

Reaction Score
What are our biggest needs for next year?

I assume a “true” pg? Even if just as a depth piece (since Castle will nominally fill that role, even if he may be slightly miscast there).

Also I would imagine shooters will be at a premium with what we likely have departing.

Not really sure how enticing of a role we will be able to offer up to premier transfers, given what we likely have returning.
Depends, really. Even Newton and Alleyne have the extra COVID year available to them. As it is there's a roster crunch coming

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

He was being asked to do way too much at Cuse and obviously can’t defend well, but he is a shooter. Would be funny to see him do better here than he ever did at Cuse too. Probably not a fit but curious to see his market

He’s just so bad defensively. The thing about Joey, is even though he’s got limitations athletically, you never question his effort or defensive IQ. I doubt he wants to come off the bench anyways.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Yeah. 9th man, sure. Starter? No.
That’s a bit harsh. He’d be fine in a slightly larger role than Joey’s IMO. He’s a microwave that you try to hide on D. I’d say 20 MPG which is more than a 9th man. he has a 3.1 PRPG! on a bad team this year. He wasn’t a monster but was nothing to sneeze at, especially since we know we have some big time defenders returning.

Truthfully we don’t even know what he’d look like playing man to man, and his scoring considering his conference is borderline unmatched in the portal this year. I think he’ll want a bigger role than we’d be willing to give him anyway

Reaction Score

This is the case of every major football and basketball college program. I remember seeing a news article years ago that there was a player on FSU's football team that had an intellectual disability (meaning IQ below 70).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom