Transfer Portal Window 2023 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Academic issues will force either Posh, Curbello, or Storr out is the rumor.

Mind boggling to me that these guys can fail classes still. They have more academic support than they deserve, and the assistant coaches usually are making sure all the underclassmen at least show up to class. Even at the stinkin' d2 level coach was checking my attendance, sending wake up reminders, and I had a tutor for every class if I wanted one. Pretty sure D1 tutors trabel with the team.

We've had players who literally can't read better than a 3rd grade level manage to graduate from UConn in the past few years.

You have got to be really, really, dumb to not manage a C as an athlete.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Mind boggling to me that these guys can fail classes still. They have more academic support than they deserve, and the assistant coaches usually are making sure all the underclassmen at least show up to class. Even at the stinkin' d2 level coach was checking my attendance, sending wake up reminders, and I had a tutor for every class if I wanted one. Pretty sure D1 tutors trabel with the team.

We've had players who literally can't read better than a 3rd grade level manage to graduate from UConn in the past few years.

I mean this is more like a professional sport every day. Every program has this issue.

Even we have a few players who haven’t been to class since November so it’s definitely not just a St John’s problem.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

But on the whole I agree. UConn academic counseling thought my buddy was a basketball player, and said “here’s the classes your teammates are taking.”

So he got put in a dog petting class and a class about birds. Both required zero work or attendance, and he received his first college A. And when he was graduating he was a few credits short, but the same academic counselor waived it and let him walk anyways.

Reaction Score
But on the whole I agree. UConn academic counseling thought my buddy was a basketball player, and said “here’s the classes your teammates are taking.”

So he got put in a dog petting class and a class about birds. Both required zero work or attendance, and he received his first college A. And when he was graduating he was a few credits short, but the same academic counselor waived it and let him walk anyways.

I won't name the nimrods publicly, but will add that my wife taught Brendan Adams and RJ Cole were in her class during RJ's redshirt year and they were both apparently pretty motivated and smart.

She's failed 2 basketball players and a bunch of football guys over the years. Other sports tend to do better academically.

And yeah, I've heard about 2 not attending classes. And tbh they probably shouldn't be playing. But it's a business, I guess.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I won't name the nimrods publicly, but will add that my wife taught Brendan Adams and RJ Cole were in her class during RJ's redshirt year and they were both apparently pretty motivated and smart.

She's failed 2 basketball players and a bunch of football guys over the years. Other sports tend to do better academically.

And yeah, I've heard about 2 not attending classes. And tbh they probably shouldn't be playing. But it's a business, I guess.
Makes you appreciate Richie Springs. Here's there to get a free education. Now has two years to get a free graduate degree. The kids who are smart and understand the reality of their pro prospects have a great deal.

But some kids come from an environment where education isn't seen as valuable. It shows up in plenty of kids who aren't athletes, and some who are. Not sure how you fix that and change those minds.

Reaction Score
But some kids come from an environment where education isn't seen as valuable. It shows up in plenty of kids who aren't athletes, and some who are. Not sure how you fix that and change those minds.

FWIW, the kids on Storrs campus tend to be from pretty privileged backgrounds. The branch campuses are more diverse. UConn boosts its diversity demographics (race, first-gren, etc) by including the branch campuses in their publications.

As you might imagine, class attendance is much better in Storrs than elsewhere. A lot more kids working, living at home, older, ex-military etc. at the branch campuses.

Reaction Score
Was anything said in the last two days to suggest Curbelo would be back? Based on his suspensions/behavior this year, he seems like an obvious choice to be shown the door in favor of one of Pitino’s guys.
RP can’t possibly like this guy with so many better options available

Reaction Score
If we continue to not show interest in PGs, I think that points to Newton coming back which would be big. Diarra can’t be the only other PG on a roster with a freshman starting based on how he has looked offensively this year.
Get ready for Castle as our starting PG. I think he will be better than Newton even as a Freshman. I have seen him play and he is the real deal. Diarra has another year to improve his shot. He is only a backup PG like he is on this years team too. I don't expect us to reach out for a PG unless it is a backup. This is the new reality of college basketball where freshmen start if they are good enough which is definitely the case with Castle.

Reaction Score
Get ready for Castle as our starting PG. I think he will be better than Newton even as a Freshman. I have seen him play and he is the real deal. Diarra has another year to improve his shot. He is only a backup PG like he is on this years team too. I don't expect us to reach out for a PG unless it is a backup. This is the new reality of college basketball where freshmen start if they are good enough which is definitely the case with Castle.

He needs to shape up on defense if he wants to outplay Newton.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I know Castle is starting, but having a freshman Castle and a backup as bad as Diarra is offensively would be a huge risk.

I see Newton coming back and playing more of a split between the 1 and 2 than just the 1 like he has this season. Hopefully that’s not wishful thinking.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
We weren't listed reaching out, but Denver Jones would be a good option for a shooter/scorer. I wonder if that means we're in good with Timberlake.

We’re obviously busy right now, but it seems like Timberlake has been setting up a lot of visits/calls and UConn hasn’t been mentioned in a while. Hope you’re right though. Feed me a sniper

Reaction Score
Hopefully he waits for us to win the ship.

I hope he's willing to wait for us to schedule a visit... we should have as good of a pitch as anyone. He can pretty much be a 1:1 replacement for Hawkins for us. Plenty of PT available if we assume that Newton is leaving.

He's also going to be 25-years-old during the season. A veteran presence to help hold our freshman accountable could be key.

Reaction Score
yeah - i thought all the critics said we need a lightning quick ball handler to help with pressure ... even if a little on the short side.

It has always been like this. Even in the Ivies (although I’m sure not to the same degree). When Penn went to the Final Four in the last 70’s, Tony Price, their best player and AJ Price’s father, was in a class with one of my best friends from high school. He showed up once.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Even Hawkins' early defense was abysmal. Castle seems to be plenty athletic enough to be a decent defender if he puts in the effort. I have to assume he will. Truth is, the NBA has little interest in guys who don't defend.
No better example of demonstrating success in teaching defense than how Joey California played defense in the SMC game especially after getting his second foul.

Reaction Score

I have a feeling that Murray could give us a fighting chance if he wanted to. Pretty sure he recruited him to 'Ville, and we were on him hard out of JUCO too. He would definitely fit the bill of a great ballhandler.

Not sure what to make of his stats this season since they were such a dumpster fire. I have a feeling he's a better shooter than 31% from deep. He shot 36% last season at Ville and 40% over 33 games in JUCO.

Other concern is TOs (3.8 this season, 1.4 in 20 minutes last season, and 2.5 TOs in 28 minutes at JUCO).

2 pt % seems decent. 47% this year, 51% at JUCO.

Good passer... 4.4 assists this year, 4.5 at JUCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom