The Official 2022 Mets Thread | Page 24 | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 Mets Thread

Reaction Score
Sadly, we are used to it. Same ol’, same ol’. Probably not even a top five Mets collapse.
I never would've expected it from this group though. Two veteran aces and the team was a traveling party most of the season. Seemed to have great chemistry and mojo and then it all disappeared quickly.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I never would've expected it from this group though. Two veteran aces and the team was a traveling party most of the season. Seemed to have great chemistry and mojo and then it all disappeared quickly.
On paper, I agree. And I was even more confident with the likes of Canha, Marte, Bassitt and Guillorme as the supporting cast.

But Scherzer‘s age showed as the season wore on, and Jake never fully returned to form. And our only true power hitter, Alonso, is still a bit tight under pressure and needs to mature a bit imo. He reminds me of Baby Huey.

Reaction Score
I know this will be an unpopular opinion but despite the disappointing end this was still a very enjoyable season. By far the most successful season start to finish of my lifetime. And unlike 2015 where they lost and you just knew that was their 1 shot, this core should be a consistent playoff team. With a few tweaks I think they can move from a team built as a regular season giant to a playoff threat

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I know this will be an unpopular opinion but despite the disappointing end this was still a very enjoyable season. By far the most successful season start to finish of my lifetime. And unlike 2015 where they lost and you just knew that was their 1 shot, this core should be a consistent playoff team. With a few tweaks I think they can move from a team built as a regular season giant to a playoff threat
I don’t disagree with any of that except the lifetime part (technically I had ‘69, and I remember ‘73 forward very well). Despite the disappointing September and October this year, it was nice to remain interested for an entire season.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with any of that except the lifetime part (technically I had ‘69, and I remember ‘73 forward very well). Despite the disappointing September and October this year, it was nice to remain interested for an entire season.
Yeah my memories start in 2000 and it's not really until 2003/2004 that I'd say there were real opinions. I remember the Giants series with Bobby Jones 1 hitter and there being a Subway series but those are more in theory than anything else. First distinct memory is Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano which I suppose should have prepared me for being a Mets fan

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I am rooting for the Padres from here out. I strongly dislike every other NL team. I guess it’s Guardians or Mariners for me on the other side.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1665371698368.png

Reaction Score
I'm still kind of numb, going to take a few days for this to really set in.. It's just so hard to get over / comprehend the fact we spent 6 months playing amazing baseball and got literally nothing to show for it after losing the division in 3 days.

Lot of things to point to.. I hate to admit that the Timmy Trumpet thing was like a karmic example of the universe turning on us - but the Marte injury really killed us down the stretch. Not having him to be the table setter made this a completely different team. Sure deGrom and Scherzer faded.. Jake was terrible down the stretch, and Scherzer picked an awful time to lay an egg.

I guess the past 15 years (2007 behind the example I'm pointing to) have prepared me for heartbreak or numbness like this. I just fear that there's going to be a mass exodus. deGrom opting out, Nimmo not being resigned, and we end up with a completely different supporting cast next year. At the same time, Uncle Stevie has proved that he will spend but ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. It wasn't supposed to end like this.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In a season where one lousy win would have made all the difference in the world there are obviously a lot of things we could point to as the reason our season ended the way that it did.

Aside from my continued disappointment with the trade deadline failures (for the second season in a row), I find myself most disappointed in Alonso's failure to come through in the clutch. The big moments just seemed too big for him; he seems much happier and more comfortable competing in the Home Run Derby than he does in high pressure game situations. Perhaps it's the lack of another power bat to help take the pressure off of him, but I feel like he is the one could have made the difference with one swing of his bat countless times, only to walk away in obvious frustration.

Like many others on this team, he had a great regular season and I don't mean to discount that, but this was a win-now team that made it clear that a deep playoff run was expected.

Watching the playoffs now will be very painful; all I want to do is fast forward to the off season so we can see how they plan to reconstruct everything from the front office to the starting rotation.

Start the hot stove thread already!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Food for thought: More than once teams have won it all the year after firing Buck. I don't think he's a wartime consigliere.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yeah my memories start in 2000 and it's not really until 2003/2004 that I'd say there were real opinions. I remember the Giants series with Bobby Jones 1 hitter and there being a Subway series but those are more in theory than anything else. First distinct memory is Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano which I suppose should have prepared me for being a Mets fan
You are young. I do not remember the “69 Mets but the 73 Mets 3 games over .500 would have smacked this team to dirt easily. Seaver over Jake any day. You are lucky you missed the late 70s and early 80s.

Reaction Score
So I am rooting for the Padres from here out. I strongly dislike every other NL team. I guess it’s Guardians or Mariners for me on the other side.
Not a chance for me. Machado is the king of striking out in a big spot, then bumping his gums on the top step of the dugout when someone else does something good. I wanted someone to ring him in the earflap all series long.

Reaction Score
In a season where one lousy win would have made all the difference in the world there are obviously a lot of things we could point to as the reason our season ended the way that it did.

Aside from my continued disappointment with the trade deadline failures (for the second season in a row), I find myself most disappointed in Alonso's failure to come through in the clutch. The big moments just seemed too big for him; he seems much happier and more comfortable competing in the Home Run Derby than he does in high pressure game situations. Perhaps it's the lack of another power bat to help take the pressure off of him, but I feel like he is the one could have made the difference with one swing of his bat countless times, only to walk away in obvious frustration.

Like many others on this team, he had a great regular season and I don't mean to discount that, but this was a win-now team that made it clear that a deep playoff run was expected.

Watching the playoffs now will be very painful; all I want to do is fast forward to the off season so we can see how they plan to reconstruct everything from the front office to the starting rotation.

I mean, he hit a home run in game 2 of the WC series and was the only Met to get a hit last night. It didn't seem like he was the main problem.

Reaction Score
This one just isn't sitting well with me. I'm not going to rank it as the "Xth biggest choke" but having deGrom and Scherzer healthy and lined up in the ATL and wildcard....then having them get TORCHED in their outings is just a huge, huge gutpunch I never saw coming.

And my feelings on deGrom are forever tainted. What are his real big memorable efforts for the Mets? Nothing in Sept or Oct. Not a single game. He was either hurt or they were out of it. Go to Texas, get paid and pitch in front of 17,000 fans.

Reaction Score
This one just isn't sitting well with me. I'm not going to rank it as the "Xth biggest choke" but having deGrom and Scherzer healthy and lined up in the ATL and wildcard....then having them get TORCHED in their outings is just a huge, huge gutpunch I never saw coming.

And my feelings on deGrom are forever tainted. What are his real big memorable efforts for the Mets? Nothing in Sept or Oct. Not a single game. He was either hurt or they were out of it. Go to Texas, get paid and pitch in front of 17,000 fans.
Scherzer I get, and deGrom absolutely choked in Atlanta. But deGrom just pitched a 6 inning 2 run game for the only Mets win of the series. He showed up in a series that 3/4 of the team didn't

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I mean, he hit a home run in game 2 of the WC series and was the only Met to get a hit last night. It didn't seem like he was the main problem.
The entire offense was abysmal with RISP vs. Atlanta and San Diego and he was no exception. I think more is expected of him because he is the only true power hitter we have.

Like I said there are countless small things that could have made a difference. In a 101-win season a lot has to go right, and it did for much of the season. He had a great regular season but underperformed in September and October.

Reaction Score
The entire offense was abysmal with RISP vs. Atlanta and San Diego and he was no exception. I think more is expected of him because he is the only true power hitter we have.

Like I said there are countless small things that could have made a difference. In a 101-win season a lot has to go right, and it did for much of the season. He had a great regular season but underperformed in September and October.
I think you're projecting your disappointment with the team underperforming in September/October (which is a valid complaint) onto Alonso. The stats do not back this opinion up, he had a very good September/October

950DF74C-66C5-465F-9329-DF2B206DF374.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don’t think Buck is getting fired. Nor do I think he should be.
I'm not saying he should be or will be fired. But when that time comes, that'll be your best chance to win it all.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think you're projecting your disappointment with the team underperforming in September/October (which is a valid complaint) onto Alonso. The stats do not back this opinion up, he had a very good September/October

View attachment 79677
I should have stuck with my original statement about vs. Atlanta and San Diego specifically. And yes they all underperformed. It is far from his fault; I just have a few searing memories of him coming to bat with RISP and walking away shaking his head in frustration. I didn’t see any of the last Atlanta series so I could also be conflating it with the Cubs or another series but I know it also happened a few times vs. San Diego.

Reaction Score
I should have stuck with my original statement about vs. Atlanta and San Diego specifically. And yes they all underperformed. It is far from his fault; I just have a few searing memories of him coming to bat with RISP and walking away shaking his head in frustration. I didn’t see any of the last Atlanta series so I could also be conflating it with the Cubs or another series but I know it also happened a few times vs. San Diego.
Agree he had a couple missed opportunities in the SD series.

Also, as much as I hate to do it, have to objectively at least tip the cap to the SD pitchers. I forget the exact #'s, but they showed a stat that SD pitchers held teams to something like 0-for- a very large # (25-30-ish?) with RISP over the last few games. They came to play in a hostile environment and weren't at all intimidated or overwhelmed by the moment.

Reaction Score
Scherzer I get, and deGrom absolutely choked in Atlanta. But deGrom just pitched a 6 inning 2 run game for the only Mets win of the series. He showed up in a series that 3/4 of the team didn't
I think most would agree that was B+ Jake at best.

Reaction Score
Here's another kick in the nuts for us.

If Atlanta or San Diego wins the WS? Cano gets a ring.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score

offseason should be very fun/entertaining for both Mets and Yanks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom