The Official 2022 Mets Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 Mets Thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Scherzer is clearly still hurt. The last 2 starts have been rough to watch
Yep.

The question I have is whether deGrom is.

And whether tomorrow will be his last start for the Mets.

I feel like if we sign him, his arm will fall off; but if we don’t, the Braves will and he will dominate us for a decade.

Reaction Score
Yep.

The question I have is whether deGrom is.

And whether tomorrow will be his last start for the Mets.

I feel like if we sign him, his arm will fall off; but if we don’t, the Braves will and he will dominate us for a decade.
I think the blister is definitely still bothering deGrom. Gotta hope it's healed for tomorrow otherwise it might be another long night.

I think tomorrow will be deGrom's last start as a Met. They just realistically can't sign everyone and he seems the most likely one who will be gone with the $45M+ it'll take to keep him

Reaction Score
Regardless of whatever he does tonight or the remainder of this year, I’m ready to say goodbye to DeGrom.

And I’m the last few weeks it seems like Diaz just hasn’t had any chances to close out anything. We didn’t get him as a weapon at all in October after the season he had.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
You start your supposed best in the playoffs, and not try to be cute, Buck.
Whatever, now it Is up to Jake to shut them down and I expect that to happen.
The Padres not as good against Ryanesque heat.
And bears do hibernate in the winter and our Polar in Autumn.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You start your supposed best in the playoffs, and not try to be cute, Buck.
Whatever, now it Is up to Jake to shut them down and I expect that to happen.
The Padres not as good against Ryanesque heat.
And bears do hibernate in the winter and our Polar in Autumn.
He started Scherzer. How is that being cute? If you're talking about delaying the decision on the game two starter, that point is moot now, isn't it?

I don't expect Jake to shut them down tonight. He is 0-3 with a 6.0 ERA in his last three starts, giving up three or more runs in each. I have no idea how we can be so heavily favored tonight against that recent history. This is not the same deGrom. Maybe next season he returns to form, but the year off is definitely wearing on him now.

As for Alonso, he's been pressing for weeks. He has never played in the post-season and doesn't appear to perform well under pressure. Hopefully he will mature in that respect, but I don't expect him to snap out of it right now.

I am ready to get into hot stove discussions. I think Uncle $teve will chase Judge and the Yankees will chase deGrom. I would rather see deGrom in the Bronx than Atlanta.

I would like to see Alvarez get some time behind the plate to see what we have there, and whether we need to be shopping for a catcher in the off-season.

Signing Diaz has to be the top priority.

I know Nimmo had a great season and is the longest-tenured Met, but I am not as sold on signing him, depending on the price.

I would definitely sign Bassitt, not so sure about Walker.

I would like see both Ottavino and Lugo back.

If we do not sign deGrom, who are the other ace possibilities for us?

Reaction Score
Last night absolutely killed me…but win tonight and I think we take this series.

Reaction Score
He started Scherzer. How is that being cute? If you're talking about delaying the decision on the game two starter, that point is moot now, isn't it?

I don't expect Jake to shut them down tonight. He is 0-3 with a 6.0 ERA in his last three starts, giving up three or more runs in each. I have no idea how we can be so heavily favored tonight against that recent history. This is not the same deGrom. Maybe next season he returns to form, but the year off is definitely wearing on him now.

As for Alonso, he's been pressing for weeks. He has never played in the post-season and doesn't appear to perform well under pressure. Hopefully he will mature in that respect, but I don't expect him to snap out of it right now.

I am ready to get into hot stove discussions. I think Uncle $teve will chase Judge and the Yankees will chase deGrom. I would rather see deGrom in the Bronx than Atlanta.

I would like to see Alvarez get some time behind the plate to see what we have there, and whether we need to be shopping for a catcher in the off-season.

Signing Diaz has to be the top priority.

I know Nimmo had a great season and is the longest-tenured Met, but I am not as sold on signing him, depending on the price.

I would definitely sign Bassitt, not so sure about Walker.

I would like see both Ottavino and Lugo back.

If we do not sign deGrom, who are the other ace possibilities for us?
I don't put much stock into the last few deGrom starts, he had a blister that was bothering him that he says is healed now. I expect him to dominate tonight

I'd hand deGrom a blank check, I don't see how the Mets can let him leave. But I do expect him to end up in Atlanta. I agree with going after Judge but that's the longest of long shots to pull that off

Alvarez will be the catcher next year, maybe they try and improve on Nido or McCann as the backup but you don't sign a guy to block the #1 prospect in all of baseball.

Diaz has to come back, would like to bring Ottavino back too. Lugo can't leave quick enough for me. Always tons of RPs available so not concerned about filling out a bullpen

I'd like Nimmo back but this offense needs a massive overhaul and power infusion, and letting Nimmo go is really the only avenue (unless they're moving on from Canha). Alvarez is locked in at C, Alonso/McNeil/Lindor/Baty/Escobar will have the infield locked down and Marte in one of the OF spots. Judge would be perfect, otherwise there's not many good OF options

As for aces, it's deGrom and Verlander. Lots of Walker types out there that would be good 3/4 starters. Right now the rotation for next year is Scherzer, Megill, Peterson and that's it. So really need to bring in at least 4 SPs, Bassitt coming back would be ideal

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't put much stock into the last few deGrom starts, he had a blister that was bothering him that he says is healed now. I expect him to dominate tonight

I'd hand deGrom a blank check, I don't see how the Mets can let him leave. But I do expect him to end up in Atlanta. I agree with going after Judge but that's the longest of long shots to pull that off

Alvarez will be the catcher next year, maybe they try and improve on Nido or McCann as the backup but you don't sign a guy to block the #1 prospect in all of baseball.

Diaz has to come back, would like to bring Ottavino back too. Lugo can't leave quick enough for me. Always tons of RPs available so not concerned about filling out a bullpen

I'd like Nimmo back but this offense needs a massive overhaul and power infusion, and letting Nimmo go is really the only avenue (unless they're moving on from Canha). Alvarez is locked in at C, Alonso/McNeil/Lindor/Baty/Escobar will have the infield locked down and Marte in one of the OF spots. Judge would be perfect, otherwise there's not many good OF options

As for aces, it's deGrom and Verlander. Lots of Walker types out there that would be good 3/4 starters. Right now the rotation for next year is Scherzer, Megill, Peterson and that's it. So really need to bring in at least 4 SPs, Bassitt coming back would be ideal
I’ve never been as torn about a player as I am about Jake. I think the fact that I like him so much made me more disappointed in his stumbles down the stretch than I should be. As Gary frequently notes, we tend to judge him against a pretty unfair and unreasonable standard.

And as a scarred Mets fan, I can’t shake the feeling that we are doomed to either overpay him and have a Chris Sale situation, or he will be pitching complete games for the Braves against us.

If we do lose him, signing Judge would be a helluva splash to make people forget about it pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
I’d say Diaz is the top priority to sign this off-season. Best closer in the game and it’s not even close. DeGrom is second priority. Bring back Bassit, maybe Walker. Let Carrasco go (unless his option kicked in, then he’s fine as a 5). As for the offense - love Nimmo but as others have said the only real power move here is to let him walk for a massive upgrade in the OF like Judge. I doubt that would happen though - wouldn’t be totally shocked to see an Ohtani trade happen. Eppler connection and he fits like a glove both in the rotation and in the lineup.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If this is deGrom’s last start of the season, his performance tonight is likely to have an outsized influence on his next contract.

Reaction Score
F73DA0C8-2A09-4FD8-943E-C44C63C03FAC.gif

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Some strange calls last night, but all’s well that ends well I suppose. Survive and advance.

Definitely did not see the Diaz>Ottavino>Lugo coming. I didn’t like Ruf as starting DH either, but Eppler didn’t give them much to work with there. I heard Buck’s explanation why he didn’t use Alvarez, but Ruf has really been a bust.

I expect Bassitt to be solid tonight and give them a chance to win; I think the question is whether the offense will produce. I like the aggressiveness on the base paths.

Reaction Score
Some strange calls last night, but all’s well that ends well I suppose. Survive and advance.

Definitely did not see the Diaz>Ottavino>Lugo coming. I didn’t like Ruf as starting DH either, but Eppler didn’t give them much to work with there. I heard Buck’s explanation why he didn’t use Alvarez, but Ruf has really been a bust.

I expect Bassitt to be solid tonight and give them a chance to win; I think the question is whether the offense will produce. I like the aggressiveness on the base paths.
I probably would have started Alvarez at DH, but this was basically the one reason Ruf was included since he had good career numbers against Snell. He sucks but got on base twice so no complaints from me there

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Could get dicey if we have to rely on the pen tonight. No Ottavino or Lugo, and Diaz can probably only go one inning. I don't really trust any of our other relievers. Peterson is our only lefty (thanks Billy!).

How did McCann get back on the WC roster? I didn't see him on it initially, but just read an article that listed him as available on the bench tonight.

Reaction Score
Could get dicey if we have to rely on the pen tonight. No Ottavino or Lugo, and Diaz can probably only go one inning. I don't really trust any of our other relievers. Peterson is our only lefty (thanks Billy!).

How did McCann get back on the WC roster? I didn't see him on it initially, but just read an article that listed him as available on the bench tonight.
McCann was on it originally, only change was Joely coming off for Walker.

Buck said Ottavino and Lugo will both be available, though I'd try to stay away from Lugo if possible. He's usually not good on back to back days and this would be 3 straight. Although yesterday was only 4 pitches so he should be fairly well rested

Curiouser
Reaction Score
McCann was on it originally, only change was Joely coming off for Walker.

Buck said Ottavino and Lugo will both be available, though I'd try to stay away from Lugo if possible. He's usually not good on back to back days and this would be 3 straight. Although yesterday was only 4 pitches so he should be fairly well rested
Ah, I see what happened: I read your post with the tweet of the roster but didn't click on the tweet, and McCann's name is cut off in your post.

I am surprised that Buck says Ottavino and Lugo are available. Ottavino threw 25 pitches last night, and Lugo warmed up three times before coming in I think. I'd still be happier to see them than any of the other relievers though.

Reaction Score
Ah, I see what happened: I read your post with the tweet of the roster but didn't click on the tweet, and McCann's name is cut off in your post.

I am surprised that Buck says Ottavino and Lugo are available. Ottavino threw 25 pitches last night, and Lugo warmed up three times before coming in I think. I'd still be happier to see them than any of the other relievers though.
Yeah Ottavino seems like a last resort and probably same with Lugo. If I had to guess what an ideal game looks like it's 6+ from Bassitt/Walker, Smith for an inning, and Diaz for 4 or 5 outs

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah Ottavino seems like a last resort and probably same with Lugo. If I had to guess what an ideal game looks like it's 6+ from Bassitt/Walker, Smith for an inning, and Diaz for 4 or 5 outs
They just showed an interview with Diaz and asked him about tonight. He said he was ready if needed in the 7th, 8th or 9th, and that his hope is that Bassitt can give them six or seven innings and then let him and Ottavino finish the game.

Lol, he doesn’t trust any of the others, either.

I will say that I am liking the eye of the tiger I am seeing from him, as well as from Lindor last night. I really feel like Lindor wants this badly and is locked in on trying to will them to a win.

Reaction Score
David Peterson against the top of the Padres order. I still have faith but that feels like a surrender from Buck

Curiouser
Reaction Score
David Peterson against the top of the Padres order. I still have faith but that feels like a surrender from Buck
I hear you, and I am less of a Peterson fan than anyone, but when the offense keeps putting up zeros none of that matters.

Brutal showing for our bats in September and October. Total collapse.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
4-0 may as well be 42-0.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Eppler owns this result more than anyone imo. Total failure at the trade deadline. What a waste of so many great individual seasons. He just didn’t equip them with enough weapons.

Reaction Score
This is a sad effort from the Mets, this was a collapse at the end of the year. Sorry to the fans, I was hoping they would go the World Series.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is a sad effort from the Mets, this was a collapse at the end of the year. Sorry to the fans, I was hoping they would go the World Series.
Sadly, we are used to it. Same ol’, same ol’. Probably not even a top five Mets collapse.

Reaction Score
Eppler owns this result more than anyone imo. Total failure at the trade deadline. What a waste of so many great individual seasons. He just didn’t equip them with enough weapons.
Yeah Eppler and Sandy had a really poor deadline, even the few moves I liked at the time ended up terrible. Hoping the new president we bring in inspires Eppler and does what we've both been asking for and adds some power bats

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom