SS - Lindor
3B - Escobar
LF - Cahna
CF - Marte
RF - Nimmo
DH - Dom/Cano/JD Davis
SP - deGrom, Scherzer, Bassitt, Walker, Carrasco
RP - Diaz, Lugo, May, Castro

2021 Record - 77 and 85 (3rd in NL East - 11.5 games out)

Predictions:
FoxBets has them at O/U 89.5 wins. I take the over and put them at 94 wins.
I think McNeil gets his groove back and hits over .295 on the season.
I don't feel good about deGrom making it through an entire season and think Scherzer will end up being the guy in September.
I also think Lindor comes out of the gates white hot and has a huge rebound year.
45 HR's for Petey as he takes over more of the unofficial captain role on this squad.

Reaction Score
A lot of nice additions this off season. They have enough talent to win the division. I like Bucky as a coach as well.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst, no other way for a Mets fan.

Memories of Vince Colemam and Bobby Bonilla in the back seat of a car throwing firecrackers at people.

Hope they get it right someday

Reaction Score
Still think they messed up by not bringing in 1 more big bat like Bryant, but should be a very good team. The lack of OF depth scares me

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Still think they messed up by not bringing in 1 more big bat like Bryant, but should be a very good team. The lack of OF depth scares me
Especially with Marte injured. Nimmo back as starting CF is not great.

Reaction Score
Especially with Marte injured. Nimmo back as starting CF is not great.
I think the plan is Nimmo in CF even when Marte is healthy, which I don't love. But he was better than in CF than Marte last year so what do I know

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think the plan is Nimmo in CF even when Marte is healthy, which I don't love. But he was better than in CF than Marte last year so what do I know
Yeah that doesn’t excite me. Still missing offense and not a great defensive outfield.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I would love it if they could get Conforto in here on a one-year deal. I agree with the concerns about the OF depth, and there's no harm in having another good player on the bench in case of injuries.

Our top 3 in the rotation should be fantastic, as long as deGrom can stay healthy. I don't expect him to go for 200+ innings, but if he can get to at least 150 and be healthy for October then I'll be thrilled. Walker and Carrasco worry me though. Both were brutal in the 2nd half last year, and I know both had somewhat minor surgeries that should hopefully resolve the poor performance, but until we see it in the regular season I'm going to be worried. Especially since Carrasco was brutal in his spring debut last week.

The bullpen should be ok, although again I'm concerned about the depth after the top 3 guys.

All in all though I think we'll be a good team this year. The lineup doesn't have a ton of pop but has a bunch of guys that should get on base and hit the ball well. The pitching staff has a chance to be the best in baseball and is obviously transcendent at the top. Finishing as a top 2 seed (which gets us a bye) should be the goal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And it begins

It sucks and I hate it because he’s my favorite player, but it’s also maddeningly predictable and I guess at this point I’d rather get it out of the way in this walk year than sign him to the richest contract in history and then have him continue to break down.

Reaction Score
Okay. So I think it's worth discussion.

Do we cut bait on Jake and assume that a) he's never going to be healthy over a full season and postseason run and b) it's time to start trying to win assuming he's not on our roster?

I love the guy and I have always thought "Well, maybe with a little rest this is the last real setback he has and stays healthy now". He's had a long, long time to rest, rehab and strengthen what he needs to strengthen and here we are a week before the season starts.

Reaction Score
1648844335074.png

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Okay. So I think it's worth discussion.

Do we cut bait on Jake and assume that a) he's never going to be healthy over a full season and postseason run and b) it's time to start trying to win assuming he's not on our roster?

I love the guy and I have always thought "Well, maybe with a little rest this is the last real setback he has and stays healthy now". He's had a long, long time to rest, rehab and strengthen what he needs to strengthen and here we are a week before the season starts.

Like...are you asking if we release him? If he still opts out after this season I guess it's worth the question if it's worth re-signing him, but as long as he's under contract there's no harm in keeping him on the team.

Reaction Score
Like...are you asking if we release him? If he still opts out after this season I guess it's worth the question if it's worth re-signing him, but as long as he's under contract there's no harm in keeping him on the team.
No, no, no. I'm not saying release him. But if he wants to opt out, just let him go. Let's be honest. How could he burn us on another team? Dominating starts against us in May or June? Not like he's going 7 IP in October to 1 hit us on another team in the postseason.

Reaction Score
Lots of chatter this morning on the Mets trading Dom for Hosmer, Paddack, and a reliever. Paddack seems like such a gamble. If we want to take Hosmer off their hands I’d prefer that he comes with a top prospect vs someone with injury issues coming off of a 5.07 ERA. Even the reliever has been over 4.50 the last two years.

Reaction Score
Really hope this trade happens. Paddack sucks but is better SP insurance than Trevor Williams. Pagan is a really good RP and Hosmer can replace Dom easily

Reaction Score
Really hope this trade happens. Paddack sucks but is better SP insurance than Trevor Williams. Pagan is a really good RP and Hosmer can replace Dom easily
Isn’t there a logjam with Cano, Hosmer and Pete for 1b, Dh and left handed Dh? Is there enough ABs for all three and what they’d be paid?

Reaction Score
Isn’t there a logjam with Cano, Hosmer and Pete for 1b, Dh and left handed Dh? Is there enough ABs for all three and what they’d be paid?
No more or less of a logjam than with Dom here. They'd be paying Hosmer around $7M vs Dom $3M so that's a small difference to fill in other holes for me

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No, no, no. I'm not saying release him. But if he wants to opt out, just let him go. Let's be honest. How could he burn us on another team? Dominating starts against us in May or June? Not like he's going 7 IP in October to 1 hit us on another team in the postseason.
I was roundly criticized for this take last season; I obviously feel even more strongly about it now:
I mean, I’m no doctor, but come on. Elbow inflammation significant enough to keep him shut down when he already hasn’t pitched in a month?

I’m sorry. I am on record as liking Jake more than the Mets themselves, but if it were my money there is zero chance I am signing this guy to a top of market deal next season unless things miraculously reverse course. Literally nothing sounds promising.

Reaction Score
I was roundly criticized for this take last season; I obviously feel even more strongly about it now:

Just reread your posts and the comments from Darling about how it’s all connected. One part overcompensating for another. Spot on.

I’ll be honest. Right now? I don’t know if he makes 10 starts all season.

Reaction Score
Usually the Mets wait for the regular season to start before all this injury crap.

Our two aces are gonna be kaput. So Metty

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Usually the Mets wait for the regular season to start before all this injury crap.

Our two aces are gonna be kaput. So Metty
I’m not optimistic about Jake, but I don’t think Scherzer’s thing is a big deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom