S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 21 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't you hate when posters do that?

Anyway... Prime Time on ABC. I'll be watching. Big vs Little. Upper vs Lower. If Big wins.. It will humble the chicken fans. If Little wins... Chapel Hill fans will be humbled. I win either way.

Perhaps you were arrested or got a speeding ticket in South Carolina years ago? ...you really do have "Carolina on your Brain"..lol

Reaction Score
This type of language needs to also take a backseat. Twitter has a way of amplifying the same voices.

It’s always the same very loud and influential SC fan Twitter accounts that are somehow titled as the voice of the fanbase. If you’re in that echo chamber then you’re going to see the same tweets from the same people.. and you’re going to say “well damn, SC fans are always complaining”.. when really 9/10 SC fans don’t even know who the hell Tanisha Wright is and you’re seeing tweets from the same 10 people.

But now Tanisha Wright has beef with all things SC because 10 Twitter accounts voiced displeasure with LA’s playing time.

And this is why I'm glad I participate in threads like this. My thoughts were that I got caught up in an echo chamber because these posts show up in "For You" as I don't follow any of them. You helped confirm it. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Reaction Score
Why would you come to Gamecock space and tell us our WNBA players suck?

This is a perfect example of why. Someone needed to drag you SCar fans back into reality. The post was about one player but you, like many SCar fans interpreted a comment about one player's lack of an offensive game as an attack on the entire program. It's called Our Girls Syndrome and Many UConn fans suffer from the same deluded belief that their team is blessed by heaven and therefore exempt from criticism.

Reaction Score
This is a perfect example of why. Someone needed to drag you SCar fans back into reality. The post was about one player but you, like many SCar fans interpreted a comment about one player's lack of an offensive game as an attack on the entire program. It's called Our Girls Syndrome and Many UConn fans suffer from the same deluded belief that their team is blessed by heaven and therefore exempt from criticism.
edited

I think you misinterpreted the post because they're not responding to the original post that talked about SC players. In a post prior to this one, someone is of the opinion was outside of Boston and Amihere, none of the players who have been drafted from SC the last couple years had what it takes to compete at the WNBA level.

It was about several, not just one player.
Whether it's a reality check is still to be determined.

Reaction Score
Taking this reply with a large grain of salt. Based on posts in the past, you've never been a fan of Staley's coaching or style of play.

It's way too early to write any of these players off. There are too many examples of good players from various teams that are having challenges sticking in the WNBA regardless of the program they played for in the NCAA.
But none of those players fans act like the SC fans on twitter, which is what I was originally talking about.

And no, I don't like Staley, I think she is the most elite professional victim in college sports who doesn't develop her players offensively.

Reaction Score
So jealous!!!! I wish I could go!
Aww don’t be! There’s going to be plenty of opportunities like this one I’m sure. I wouldn’t be surprised if the team went abroad in 2024 for another tour and Coach always finds a way to include her FAMS.

Reaction Score
But none of those players fans act like the SC fans on twitter, which is what I was originally talking about.

And no, I don't like Staley, I think she is the most elite professional victim in college sports who doesn't develop her players offensively.
You misspelled "orchestrator of 2023's highest offensive rating (points per possession -- yes, higher than Iowa, LSU, Utah, Indiana, etc.), best current ambassador for the sport, and tremendous positive influence on her player's lives."

Watched part of the Dream/Aces game last night -- A'jas & Allisha's offensive games looked somewhat developed to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't you hate when posters do that?

Anyway... Prime Time on ABC. I'll be watching. Big vs Little. Upper vs Lower. If Big wins.. It will humble the chicken fans. If Little wins... Chapel Hill fans will be humbled. I win either way.

Let's be honest.

Since the Kennedy assassination, we pretty much have a good idea of which team is little brother.

NC was the useless bit of the colony that got spun off.

Reaction Score

I have no idea why we're even talking about Amihere except some people on Twitter apparently said something.

I don't think most folks expected Amihere to be a featured player.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why we're even talking about Amihere except some people on Twitter apparently said something.

I don't think most folks expected Amihere to be a featured player.
Here’s what really happened…a REPORTER asked Tanisha Wright why Amihere had not played at all this season. Tanisha went on and on about how Amihere had done everything right but she lacked experience (duh). She then said that she knows SC fans are wanting her to play (duh). Many SC fans have bought season’s tickets because of LA and Allisha Gray. If you listen to the interview it was all sort of strange. 7:40 mark. And for the record, Cheyanne Parker played 9 mins a game her Rookie Year In 30 games. Not sure why she said she didn’t play at all her Rookie year.

Reaction Score
It's tough for fans for any team to accept reality when the media has been hyping the player for 4 years. Why isn't she playing? Because others are playing better. Simple as that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Perhaps you were arrested or got a speeding ticket in South Carolina years ago? ...you really do have "Carolina on your Brain"..lol

Nothing like that, a few disappointing moments in your state for sure, but that's not a discussion for this forum. :oops:

Let's be honest.

Since the Kennedy assassination, we pretty much have a good idea of which team is little brother.

NC was the useless bit of the colony that got spun off.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Here’s what really happened…a REPORTER asked Tanisha Wright why Amihere had not played at all this season. Tanisha went on and on about how Amihere had done everything right but she lacked experience (duh). She then said that she knows SC fans are wanting her to play (duh). Many SC fans have bought season’s tickets because of LA and Allisha Gray. If you listen to the interview it was all sort of strange. 7:40 mark. And for the record, Cheyanne Parker played 9 mins a game her Rookie Year In 30 games. Not sure why she said she didn’t play at all her Rookie year.

Maybe Parker was mistaken, however it is true that Hillmon had a lot f DNPs before she got consistent playing time. Regardless, it's still early in the season and time will tell. It's better she gets on the court when it's the right time versus being put in a situation where she struggles because she's not ready.

Reaction Score
Nothing like that, a few disappointing moments in your state for sure, but that's not a discussion for this forum. :oops:

giphy.gif
I like you. Good Luck against Coastal today in D1 Baseball but you know who I am rooting for -lol

Reaction Score
Are they any unknown 2024 true Posts out there to keep an eye on during this AAU season?

Reaction Score
It's tough for fans for any team to accept reality when the media has been hyping the player for 4 years. Why isn't she playing? Because others are playing better. Simple as that.
@cancontent @Alydar @TC22 You guys are very insightful and your points have merit as to why she is not playing. However, I think one very important point is not being discussed. You have a coach on the hot seat and she is coaching that way. So she is relying on playing the veteran players. She probably did not want to keep LA on the roster but Mngt. asked her to keep the draftee onboard and develop her..

Reaction Score
@cancontent @Alydar @TC22 You guys are very insightful and your points have merit as to why she is not playing. However, I think one very important point is not being discussed. You have a coach on the hot seat and she is coaching that way. So she is relying on playing the veteran players. She probably did not want to keep LA on the roster but Mngt. asked her to keep the draftee onboard and develop her..

This could be another factor for sure. I've seen similar comments about being on the hot seat on social media which has me perplexed.

This is her second season correct? Considering the team was a rebuild last season after Collen left for Baylor, I was under the impression Coach Wright would have a bit more leeway.

Reaction Score
This could be another factor for sure. I've seen similar comments about being on the hot seat on social media which has me perplexed.

This is her second season correct? Considering the team was a rebuild last season after Collen left for Baylor, I was under the impression Coach Wright would have a bit more leeway.
New ownership group. Nikki Collins wasn't their Head coach pick so Wright as an extension of Collins is not their pick. Wright knows she has to prover herself thus the reliance on Veteran Players to win now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coach Wright isn't on the hot seat. In year one she helped changed the culture of Dream basketball, after some really bad years both on and off the court. A team that was starting to become known as the 2nd worst team in the league found itself a game away from the playoffs and a lot of momentum. It's highly unlikely she'll get fired, unless this team somehow finds itself in the bottom of the standings.

Reaction Score
New ownership group. Nikki Collins wasn't their Head coach pick so Wright as an extension of Collins is not their pick. Wright knows she has to prover herself thus the reliance on Veteran Players to win now.

Wasn't Wright hired once the new ownership group was in place?

Reaction Score
Wasn't Wright hired once the new ownership group was in place?
The new ownership group purchased the team prior to the 2021 season and endured 3 coaches (Collen, who departed for Baylor prior to the 1st game and 2 additional interim coaches) for that year. Wright was hired between the 2021 & 2022 seasons.

I don't think that Wright is on the hot seat this season, but she really wants to win enough to qualify for the playoffs this year, after missing an opportunity to do so going in to the last game or 2 last year. I think that waiving Cubaj and acquiring Mikesell bodes well for Amihere, but just like some stressed -- sometimes patience is required and you need to show the staff the value you provide in practice. It's a long season and many WNBA players take a while to blossom.

On the other hand, it is imperative to display your worth and/or find the right the fit due to limited roster space. 3 (1 voluntarily) out 5 of the 2020 all-rookie team and 2 out 5 of the 2021 all-rookie team are already out of the Association and fans of SC know all too well of this reality by seeing what happened to Henny & Kiki.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The new ownership group purchased the team prior to the 2021 season and endured 3 coaches (Collen, who departed for Baylor prior to the 1st game and 2 additional interim coaches). Wright was hired between the 2021 & 2022 seasons.

I don't think that Wright is on the hot seat this season, but she really wants to win enough to qualify for the playoffs this year, after missing an opportunity to do so going in to the last game or 2 last year. I think that waiving Cubaj and acquiring Mikesell bodes well for Amihere, but just like some stressed -- sometimes patience is required and you need to show the staff the value you provide in practice. It's a long season and many WNBA players take a while to blossom.

On the other hand, it is imperative to display your worth and/or find the right the fit due to limited roster space. 3 (1 voluntarily) out 5 of the 2020 all-rookie team and 2 out 5 of the 2021 all-rookie team are already out of the Association and fans of SC know all too well of this reality by seeing what happened to Henny & Kiki.

This helps to clarify my confusion about Coach Wright's status. Thank you. I didn't think she was in a hot seat situation but a couple posts threw me off.

I agree about her wanting to make the playoffs after being close last season. That would be a huge boost for the team considering how the seasons prior to her hiring played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom