Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 414 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I am a UConn alumnus,and perhaps my mindset is a little different. While it is great to bask in the glory now, I am concerned about what will happen down the line. The recruitment miss on the guy who went to Kansas of all places I feel may be a bellweather of things to come. I do not fully comprehend how NIL works, that I must say for sure.
Timberlake is 25 and has one year of competitive basketball left so he went for the money at Kansas. Supposedly, Hurley told him he didn't want to recruit using NIL and he decided to go to Kansas. In my opinion, the right choice for the kid. I would worry if a star UConn player left for NIL as I think we should be able to support a player with NIL.

Reaction Score
Two things.

1)UConn will still be in the Northeast. Your personal geography doesn't change when you move, nor does the proximity to talent in NY/NJ/Philly. As long as you continue to win, you will remain a desirable brand. Are local kids truly going to care that they are no longer playing Seton Hall or Providence?

2)Almost half of the schools currently in The Big East are located squarely in the Midwest. The days of geographically tight nit conferences are over. If the Big East expands again, I will bet that they add more teams in the Midwest or West as opposed to in the East. At this point, the names of these conferences are more brands than they are descriptors. 16 teams in The Big 10, Louisville and ND in the ACC, Oklahoma, Texas, A&M, Arkansas and Missouri in the SEC etc.
I somewhat agree but at the same time, it's not like the midwest is all that distant. The Big East is still in the upper right quarter of the country and much closer together than most conferences. I don't think it will expand past Creighton. I've always felt it will look south, Virginia and North Carolina

big east.jpg

Reaction Score
Eventually, the P2 will split off from the rest of us and become more of a semi-pro division. So I don’t think we will need to worry about competing for to long against the big money NIL teams.

Reaction Score
Speaking of money, someone posted this on CSNbbs. Is this correct?

"Something to think about. UCONN''s men's basketball revenues their last year in the AAC were $9,789,117. Last year they were $24,055,088. Football increased from $12,087,816 to $18,413,319 as an independent".

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

"Something to think about. UCONN''s men's basketball revenues their last year in the AAC were $9,789,117. Last year they were $24,055,088. Football increased from $12,087,816 to $18,413,319 as an independent".
Yes but due to settlement with Ollie.

Reaction Score

I know those numbers seem off for football (bet they are mixing expenses v. revenue):

In the 2022 fiscal year (which included the 2021 football season), UConn football generated $4.7 million in revenues while costing $18.4 million in expenses.

Reaction Score
Eventually, the P2 will split off from the rest of us and become more of a semi-pro division. So I don’t think we will need to worry about competing for to long against the big money NIL teams.

If there is a split it would be the P5 and Notre Dame, the B1G and SEC couldn't survive on their own and they know it. They know that there isn't truly a "P2".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If there is a split it would be the P5 and Notre Dame, the B1G and SEC couldn't survive on their own and they know it. They know that there isn't truly a "P2".
Low hanging fruit theory:

Schools will continue to increase their income by the most efficient way possible. For the time being that means additions of schools that encourage their media partners to pay them more. Eventually that will top out and they will look around at the Boston Colleges of the college sports world and realize it makes zero sense to keep them on as another mouth to feed when they don't contribute materially to adding revenue.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
This is about resetting the top tier. The P2 will take who they want and the Big12 is setting itself up for the leftover league. Maybe one of the PAC or ACC will keep on, but the other 3 will take who they want and leave the others to fend for themselves. Do I like it? No, but that’s the route we are headed for.

Reaction Score
Wow.. i hope the big east doesn’t get screwed because of timing…I thought it would be good timing because of the aac deal (even after losing their best schools and still not losing money because of it)and the big 12 deal also seems like a good deal… the big east has done everything to warrant a substantial increase…unless fox gives us north of 8 million per school per year.. I think we should wait till next year when it’s open to the highest bidder.. and hopefully have another great season before negotiations

Reaction Score
Low hanging fruit theory:

Schools will continue to increase their income by the most efficient way possible. For the time being that means additions of schools that encourage their media partners to pay them more. Eventually that will top out and they will look around at the Boston Colleges of the college sports world and realize it makes zero sense to keep them on as another mouth to feed when they don't contribute materially to adding revenue.
Even the globetrotters needed the generals :)

Reaction Score
Wow.. i hope the big east doesn’t get screwed because of timing…I thought it would be good timing because of the aac deal (even after losing their best schools and still not losing money because of it)and the big 12 deal also seems like a good deal… the big east has done everything to warrant a substantial increase…unless fox gives us north of 8 million per school per year.. I think we should wait till next year when it’s open to the highest bidder.. and hopefully have another great season before negotiations

The AAC didn't lose money because they offered up a 27% increase of inventory... even then that hasn't kept the per school average revenue per year even, as a result, they're paying their new additions 50% of what legacy schools earn. It'll be interesting to see what happens if SMU leaves.. if/when they are replaced you will have further diminished the value of that league AND the new teams will have the same number of votes as the legacy teams.

If the Big East is "screwed" it won't be because of timing. It'll be because the economics around basketball and basketball first leagues are what they are... and that for the most part the Big East schools have a comparative low name value individually. The brand value of the conference is greater than the value of the member schools individually, except UConn (and maybe Villanova). So unlike some leagues where you're buying Alabama or Ohio State football or Duke basketball; plus some other teams, you're buying the Big East with the thought that you can sell the game based on the Big East name; not because it features Creighton vs. Marquette or Xavier vs. Providence. With the ACC for basketball, each week you have the choice of several name brands to fill those time-slots and increase the number of attractive matchups possible and limit the number of matchups that have to be sold as "ACC game of the week." With the Big East you get two UConn - Villanova games and then you're hunting. The conference won't let you pick UConn vs. someone; every week, so how do you maximize the value of that deal. Furthermore, if UConn, clearly hunting (as they must) for an exit plan leaves then what do you have? Is there a reason to pay a premium for that if you already can air a secondary Big Ten, Big XII, ACC or SEC matchup? That's the question the networks are going to have to answer when they set a value for the Big East inventory.

The Big East will be the top-earning non FBS conference and probably earn more than the G5 conferences (which is why Independent/Big East is better than any G5 alignment; but worse than any P5 alignment); it might not be that $8-10M per team that many here expected/hoped they would hit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom