Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 413 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don't think their interests would be so different. Play in a great conference and make money. The Catholic 7 left because the Big East was becoming a weaker basketball conference given the new additions. A merger of sorts with Duke, Wake et al is an entirely different kind of conference, altogether.

The Catholic 7 left because they were tired of making pennies on the dollar compared to their full sport compatriots. They also realize that once the new admissions came in, football schools would have a majority, and they felt like they couldn’t control their own destiny anymore. I based that on conversations I’ve had with people who are “quasi-insiders” at other schools.

Reaction Score
The Catholic 7 left because they were tired of making pennies on the dollar compared to their full sport compatriots. They also realize that once the new admissions came in, football schools would have a majority, and they felt like they couldn’t control their own destiny anymore. I based that on conversations I’ve had with people who are “quasi-insiders” at other schools.
They will always make less than football schools but would probably make more if they add the ACC schools.

CL82

Reaction Score
They will always make less than football schools but would probably make more if they add the ACC schools.
I don’t disagree, but they have an institutional bias about football schools. That was one of the big hesitancies with allowing Connecticut to join the conference.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If athletes become employees...they should also be students...if not, what you end up with are university sponsored and branded teams.

I read somewhere that the majority of "fans" of most major college teams never attended school there. They pick a team for their allegance.
This wouldn’t surprise me at all. I picked Nebraska growing up to be a fan of as my mom played volleyball there. Didn’t wind up going there but still am a die hard fan and go to a game every year

Reaction Score
I don't think their interests would be so different. Play in a great conference and make money. The Catholic 7 left because the Big East was becoming a weaker basketball conference given the new additions. A merger of sorts with Duke, Wake et al is an entirely different kind of conference, altogether.

I could be misremembering, but I thought that one of the key issues was the football schools pushing for the addition of members like TCU and Boise State after The ESPN led raids. Under the before mentioned proposal, the division among schools would remain. On one side you have schools that need to protect their FBS Football Programs. On the other side you have schools that don't have this concern and don't want to be dictated to by the programs that do.

I'll put this out there one more time and then I'll drop it. I understand that there are those here who love the current Big East and hate the idea of UConn playing in a "distant conference." You've had success so why change? You change because history has a nasty way of repeating itself. A hybrid conference with ND as the perpetual leech will suffer the same fate as BE1. It might not happen the same way, but it will eventually happen.

Be active with your administration. Remind them consistently that UConn is too prominent of a university and an athletic department to be relegated to second tier status. Let them know that you know football independence for any school not named ND is a death sentence long term. Tell your leaders that they need to position the school for P5 Expansion without exception. UConn cannot maintain long term athletic excellence on G5 Money. Yormark is on record stating that he wants to play Big 12 Games in the NY Metro Area. Buy him a ****g map with Storrs circled in red marker on it.

Reaction Score
I could be misremembering, but I thought that one of the key issues was the football schools pushing for the addition of members like TCU and Boise State after The ESPN led raids. Under the before mentioned proposal, the division among schools would remain. On one side you have schools that need to protect their FBS Football Programs. On the other side you have schools that don't have this concern and don't want to be dictated to by the programs that do.

I'll put this out there one more time and then I'll drop it. I understand that there are those here who love the current Big East and hate the idea of UConn playing in a "distant conference." You've had success so why change? You change because history has a nasty way of repeating itself. A hybrid conference with ND as the perpetual leech will suffer the same fate as BE1. It might not happen the same way, but it will eventually happen.

Be active with your administration. Remind them consistently that UConn is too prominent of a university and an athletic department to be relegated to second tier status. Let them know that you know football independence for any school not named ND is a death sentence long term. Tell your leaders that they need to position the school for P5 Expansion without exception. UConn cannot maintain long term athletic excellence on G5 Money. Yormark is on record stating that he wants to play Big 12 Games in the NY Metro Area. Buy him a ****g map with Storrs circled in red marker on it.
You can put it out there 100 more times and we get it. The administration gets it. But the bottom line is there are at least a dozen other programs ahead of UConn in line for the Big 12, from the PAC, AAC, MW, heck even the Sun Belt. We can't force them to like our football program. The Big 12 should invite UConn & Temple. Or Memphis & Tulane, or USF & ECU. So many options. If not the Big 12, then nothing but independence at this point. There are no rumors whatsoever involving UConn. I hope it changes, but hope is a dangerous thing.

Reaction Score

Its not g5 money…the next big east tv contract will be alot more any g5 conference ..and I’ve been hearing uconn can’t survive unless we join a p5 league for 12 years…when is going to happen 5 more years?…10 more years?

CL82

Reaction Score

Is Storrs in the New York metro area?

CL82

Reaction Score
You can put it out there 100 more times and we get it. The administration gets it. But the bottom line is there are at least a dozen other programs ahead of UConn in line for the Big 12, from the PAC, AAC, MW, heck even the Sun Belt. We can't force them to like our football program. The Big 12 should invite UConn & Temple. Or Memphis & Tulane, or USF & ECU. So many options. If not the Big 12, then nothing but independence at this point. There are no rumors whatsoever involving UConn. I hope it changes, but hope is a dangerous thing.
Oh there have been rumors involving UConn. In any event, a lot of times there has been very little discussion of conference realignment moves until they actually happen. Currently, I think we are a longshot to get a P5 invite, but but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Reaction Score
Its not g5 money…the next big east tv contract will be alot more any g5 conference ..and I’ve been hearing uconn can’t survive unless we join a p5 league for 12 years…when is going to happen 5 more years?…10 more years?
What do you honestly think that deal will bring? 8-10 tops. You may be happy to be in The Big East instead of The AAC, but the the ink on your AD’s books is blood red.

Winning is an intoxicating elixir but it’s not a cure. Independent football is not sustainable. Even the most ardent Big East or bust fans have to realize that.

Reaction Score
I think leaving the big east will hurt our basketball..right now we are the brand in the the north east..in a northeastern conference… we leave to a southern conference and we will be a Northeast team in a southern conference…recruit’s wanting to play in a southern conference will want to go to a southern school

Reaction Score
Is Storrs in the New York metro area?
Relative to the rest of the Big 12 they are. Their Commissioner speaks openly about wanting access to the area. UConn is one of the only attainable programs that could give them a beach head in the Northeast. I hope that your entire administration is selling their off to anyone who will listen. The school is too valuable of a product to be left out forever.

Reaction Score
What do you honestly think that deal will bring? 8-10 tops. You may be happy to be in The Big East instead of The AAC, but the the ink on your AD’s books is blood red.

Winning is an intoxicating elixir but it’s not a cure. Independent football is not sustainable. Even the most ardent Big East or bust fans have to realize that.
We do. Send the contract to a P5. We will sign it. I'm never Big East or bust, but there is no sense killing ALL your programs in a G5 league soon to have North Texas in it. Nothing against The Mean Green, but that's not who i want to watch conference basketball games against.

Reaction Score
I think leaving the big east will hurt our basketball..right now we are the brand in the the north east..in a northeastern conference… we leave to a southern conference and we will be a Northeast team in a southern conference…recruit’s wanting to play in a southern conference will want to go to a southern school
I am not sure that your wish will save basketball. You do not seem to understand that coveted recruits will go to big money schools. Coaches too! We saw it already with the guy from Towson who chose Kansas because it offered more than UConn could. UConn may be okay right now, but the athletic deficit is not sustainable.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I am not sure that your wish will save basketball. You do not seem to understand that coveted recruits will go to big money schools. Coaches too! We saw it already with the guy from Towson who chose Kansas because it offered more than UConn could. UConn may be okay right now, but the athletic deficit is not sustainable.
We literally just won a national title in basketball, have a top 10 baseball program this season, and excel at many other sports. Our basketball budget (granted it was inflated due to Ollie settlement) was #2 nationally. The athletic deficit is fine because the students subsidize it, and the cost to go to UConn at full price is less than private schools and lot of other public schools even factoring in the athletic subsidy.

Reaction Score
If Big time "college" football breaks from the NCAA, is it really college football anymore? Will players be beholden to APR requirements? If not, will it be worth it for these institutions to sponsor such non-curricular activities? Will it force the NFL to follow the NBA and provide a G League of sorts? If so, who gets the media money? 'Cause the networks have already demonstrated that there is not enough to go around.

If Herbst was correct about anything, it was that athletics are the front porch of an institution. State schools in SEC country need athletics to drive enrollment and maintain the façade of a worthwhile education, but without football and all else being equal, what is the appeal of the University of Alabama for a Texas kid that has how many other local options that are better or offer more prestige?
They already broke away , They negotiated a separate deal for the football playoffs with a forecasted worth of double the mens basketball tournament.
The difference is the current 60 P5 schools will share $1.8 billion $80% annually and the NCAA body gets zero .
That’s an approximately $30,000,000 per school annually in addition to their media deals.
The approximately
60 G5 schools plus the few Indies will share unequally, about $200 million using a formula based on conference strength. Indies have always gotten a flat amount.
The only possible good news for BB only conferences is the current NCAA blanket deal covering multiple sports including women’s basketball, hockey ,and baseball is predicted to go from $36 million to $100 million annually putting those sports in the black for the first time.
The old rules agreed upon by colleges and even followed by some. ended with the NIL and free agent transfer rules
The role of the NCAA is now simply an organizational and distribution one.
If anyone needs to disengage from the NCAA is men’s basketball schools who gets screwed big time, sharing in less than 40% of what they earn. That can change to close to 80% simply by changing distribution methods
Even if the new Big East Contract is double and UConn football playoff share is doubled , with our football media deal we will be lucky to make $15 million annually while a school in the Big 12 will be making $60 million.
It’s obvious unless you’re in a p5 conference you better have a great. Organization or pick you battles carefully.

Reaction Score
They already broke away , They negotiated a separate deal for the football playoffs with a forecasted worth of double the mens basketball tournament.
The difference is the current 60 P5 schools will share $1.8 billion $80% annually and the NCAA body gets zero .
That’s an approximately $30,000,000 per school annually in addition to their media deals.
The approximately
60 G5 schools plus the few Indies will share unequally, about $200 million using a formula based on conference strength. Indies have always gotten a flat amount.
The only possible good news for BB only conferences is the current NCAA blanket deal covering multiple sports including women’s basketball, hockey ,and baseball is predicted to go from $36 million to $100 million annually putting those sports in the black for the first time.
The old rules agreed upon by colleges and even followed by some. ended with the NIL and free agent transfer rules
The role of the NCAA is now simply an organizational and distribution one.
If anyone needs to disengage from the NCAA is men’s basketball schools who gets screwed big time, sharing in less than 40% of what they earn. That can change to close to 80% simply by changing distribution methods
Even if the new Big East Contract is double and UConn football playoff share is doubled , with our football media deal we will be lucky to make $15 million annually while a school in the Big 12 will be making $60 million.
It’s obvious unless you’re in a p5 conference you better have a great. Organization or pick you battles carefully.
Correction : That’s 90% not 80% the p5 football conference share
I must be losing it .

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"Break away" as in no longer even trying to hide the fact that football is not about the universities anymore. There is still a thinly veiled connection.

Most fans' allegiance is to laundry. If the 85 individual scholarship Alabama athletes were called the Tuscaloosa Riptides of the professional NFL development league tomorrow, Alabama fans would give a neither a hoot, nor a holler about those players.

Reaction Score
There's a reason that Benedict sent an email out looking to pump up NIL money. The arms race is on... if UConn remains contented to be paid at the AAC level (which even the optimistic 8-10/year Big East projections are at) they will struggle to remain competitive across the breadth of sports which they currently are competitive with. It's not a football vs. basketball thing... you're seeing it now LSU funded their women's basketball national title with NIL; the SEC schools are using their financial to become more competitive in men's basketball despite being "football" schools.

The Big East move has been good for UConn right now.. but it has to be a stop-over, not a final destination; I think that was recognized by all parties, which is why UConn's exit fees decrease as they put in their time to help the Big East; with the recognition that the Big East affiliation should help UConn initially regain their footing.

Reaction Score
We literally just won a national title in basketball, have a top 10 baseball program this season, and excel at many other sports. Our basketball budget (granted it was inflated due to Ollie settlement) was #2 nationally. The athletic deficit is fine because the students subsidize it, and the cost to go to UConn at full price is less than private schools and lot of other public schools even factoring in the athletic subsidy.
It is great for now, but just not sustainable. It will be very difficult to compete with big money interests that P5 schools have the advantage.

Reaction Score
Two things.

1)UConn will still be in the Northeast. Your personal geography doesn't change when you move, nor does the proximity to talent in NY/NJ/Philly. As long as you continue to win, you will remain a desirable brand. Are local kids truly going to care that they are no longer playing Seton Hall or Providence?

2)Almost half of the schools currently in The Big East are located squarely in the Midwest. The days of geographically tight nit conferences are over. If the Big East expands again, I will bet that they add more teams in the Midwest or West as opposed to in the East. At this point, the names of these conferences are more brands than they are descriptors. 16 teams in The Big 10, Louisville and ND in the ACC, Oklahoma, Texas, A&M, Arkansas and Missouri in the SEC etc.

Reaction Score
It is great for now, but just not sustainable. It will be very difficult to compete with big money interests that P5 schools have the advantage.
I don't think you understand the Connecticut mindset. Look at UConn's endowment. UConn didn't aggressively ask for donations to the endowment until recent years as most alumni questioned why they should donate to a public school which is why the endowment is relatively low. Same with athletics. People didn't donate that much to the athletic department except for buildings. Think about this, the naming rights in perpetuity for Gampel Pavillion were sold for $1 million. Slowly, that is changing as well.

NIL is being driven by private entities, not by the schools themselves so NIL is not being driven by how big a school's media contract is. UConn fans are starting to learn that if we want to have highly competitive teams, the fans are going to have to pony up to support NIL initiatives. I do think UConn fans got an early false understanding of NIL as the women's basketball players have gotten great deals from national brands due to the high visibility of UConn women's basketball and the players social media presence. But, that is not how NIL really works.

Finally, on the athletic budget, excluding the Ollie payments, the deficit went down in Fiscal Year 2022 by ~$7 million to ~$40 million. And, FY 2022 ended in June 2022 and didn't include Mora's first football season and this past basketball season so I would anticipate that the budget gap narrowed again in FY 2023. And, it seems, the state is willing to finance a budget gap of $25 to $30 million per year which is close to the difference in being BE/Indy vs. being in a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
I don't think you understand the Connecticut mindset. Look at UConn's endowment. UConn didn't aggressively ask for donations to the endowment until recent years as most alumni questioned why they should donate to a public school which is why the endowment is relatively low. Same with athletics. People didn't donate that much to the athletic department except for buildings. Think about this, the naming rights in perpetuity for Gampel Pavillion were sold for $1 million. Slowly, that is changing as well.

NIL is being driven by private entities, not by the schools themselves so NIL is not being driven by how big a school's media contract is. UConn fans are starting to learn that if we want to have highly competitive teams, the fans are going to have to pony up to support NIL initiatives. I do think UConn fans got an early false understanding of NIL as the women's basketball players have gotten great deals from national brands due to the high visibility of UConn women's basketball and the players social media presence. But, that is not how NIL really works.

Finally, on the athletic budget, excluding the Ollie payments, the deficit went down in Fiscal Year 2022 by ~$7 million to ~$40 million. And, FY 2022 ended in June 2022 and didn't include Mora's first football season and this past basketball season so I would anticipate that the budget gap narrowed again in FY 2023. And, it seems, the state is willing to finance a budget gap of $25 to $30 million per year which is close to the difference in being BE/Indy vs. being in a P5 conference.
Seriously asking, how DOES NIL work? I'm not sure i remotely grasp it. I remember reading a national writer after the BB Championship state that UConn's NIL collective will rival anything outside the SEC? Truth, fiction, something in the middle?

Reaction Score

I am a UConn alumnus,and perhaps my mindset is a little different. While it is great to bask in the glory now, I am concerned about what will happen down the line. The recruitment miss on the guy who went to Kansas of all places I feel may be a bellweather of things to come. I do not fully comprehend how NIL works, that I must say for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom