Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 416 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Dan Wetzel, Pat Forde and Ross Dellanger. Dellanger confirms that Yormark is definitely eyeing UConn. Wetzel and Forde think that UConn would be crazy to join the Big 12. "Don't make a football decision at a basketball school." "Football fans in New England don't care." "They dominate basketball when they are around NYC".

Forde and Wentzel don't impress me as very savvy given many of their comments on realignment and the business behind it.

Reaction Score
That's hating. Same crew that lambasted UConn for leaving the AAC and abandoning football want to kill UConn for going to the Big 12? Just come out and say you want UConn to stay broke.
This narrative from the podcast is totally insane. Basically they believe we are a hostage to our basketball success, and we can never aspire to being more than a "basketball school" because we have been so successful at it. Utter stupidity. This just proves that you need to ignore the football centric national and regional media since they are invested in a system that's designed to keep the sec and big 10 at the top, and everybody else down.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
AD Dave liked this tweet within the last hour
IMG_0827.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the future holds.

I am confident that these schools have gone public because they think they have a play. More importantly they've put the other schools in the conferenc on notice that the remaining seven aren't seen as viable partners. ACC bottom feeders are officially in last rat off the boat and any port in a storm mode.

Reaction Score

I am confident that these schools have gone public because they think they have a play. More importantly they've put the other schools in the conferenc on notice that the remaining seven aren't seen as viable partners. ACC bottom feeders are officially in last rat off the boat and any port in a storm mode.
I think it's a desperate move on their part. Trying to get the other 7 to concede them more money. Doubt it has any effect.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I think it's a desperate move on their part. Trying to get the other 7 to concede them more money. Doubt it has any effect.
Right now no expansion in other conferences keeps ACC members hopeful to fill slots when expansion happens in the future. By feinting that there may be a way out of GOR, it could freeze other conferences from adding now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I won't bet a wooden nickel on what the effect is of this announcement. I do know all the speculation and whispering is over and there's now a real line in the sand.

Reaction Score
Right now no expansion in other conferences keeps ACC members hopeful to fill slots when expansion happens in the future. By feinting that there may be a way out of GOR, it could freeze other conferences from adding now.
I see the logic in this, but i also think Yormack could get his schools to see through this. I said last month the move for the Big 12 was uconn and sdsu. Take away a backfill option from both the pac and acc.

Reaction Score
I can see the SEC and the B1G each taking one of the Virginia schools and one of the North Carolina schools. I'm not sure either conference is in too much of a rush however as there are many things that will need to be worked out prior to further expansion.

I'm not sure any other ACC school has a definitive landing spot that would be an improvement on where they currently are.
I/2 of those schools have an illusion of grandeur. Unless the goal is to break the GOR to blackmail the ACC / ESPN
Please give me one compelling reason that those schools other than FSU and Clemson are a sure thing
Why are they more compelling than
Stamford , Cal , Washington. and Oregon .
Only UVA , UN
i agree the list includes teams with no hope for the Super Two
This clearly smacks of extortion of the rest by these magnificent 7 .
Whatever happened to brotherhood ?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I/2 of those schools have an illusion of grandeur. Unless the goal is to break the GOR to blackmail the ACC / ESPN
Please give me one compelling reason that those schools other than FSU and Clemson are a sure thing
Why are they more compelling than
Stamford , Cal , Washington. and Oregon .
Only UVA , UN

i agree the list includes teams with no hope for the Super Two
This clearly smacks of extortion of the rest by these magnificent 7 .
Whatever happened to brotherhood ?

Clemson and FSU bring national brands; UVA and UNC are state flagships in larger states. Those fours should be a gimme. Miami is great for a conference in that it's basically a bowl game for visiting teams to come there any time of year and party it up. GT gets you in to Atlanta and Georgia. Easy flights for any school and another good city to visit for a weekend. VT and NCSU are turd cling-ons. Pitt maybe has a chance in Big12. SU, BCU and WF are nothing to anyone. Duke at least brings a huge basketball program.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For openers, Stamford is my home town in Connecticut. Stanford is the school in Palo Alto.

I believe that while it is more than a decade out, the end game for the B1G & SEC is 24 members each with four divisions of six schools. The west division of the B1G will be USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon and Washington.

I see the B1G also adding UNC & UVA.

The SEC does not have a presence in two southern states; Virginia and North Carolina. Va Tech and NC St are both more culturally compatible with the SEC than their wine and cheese current in state conference brethren.

Clemson and FSU are in s more difficult spot as they do not match the overall profile the B1G desires and they would be redundant additions to the SEC.

I think there wont be much movement (basically two additional west cost schools to the B1G is all that may happen) until a final decision by ND is made.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For openers, Stamford is my home town in Connecticut. Stanford is the school in Palo Alto.

I believe that while it is more than a decade out, the end game for the B1G & SEC is 24 members each with four divisions of six schools. The west division of the B1G will be USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon and Washington.

I see the B1G also adding UNC & UVA.

The SEC does not have a presence in two southern states; Virginia and North Carolina. Va Tech and NC St are both more culturally compatible with the SEC than their wine and cheese current in state conference brethren.

Clemson and FSU are in s more difficult spot as they do not match the overall profile the B1G desires and they would be redundant additions to the SEC.

I think there wont be much movement (basically two additional west cost schools to the B1G is all that may happen) until a final decision by ND is made.

Agree with an end game of 24 teams each for B1G and SEC. Also agree UNC and UVA are natural fits for the B1G. Whether or not this comes to fruition is beyond me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I am confident that they have no play. If they did have one, they’d be quiet as a church mouse about it while they made their plans.

I mean, really….they think they are going to just break the fundamental agreement by which ESPN was induced to enter into a rights contract and then join another conference and sign the exact same agreement with the exact same company?

Come on.

Reaction Score
Agree with an end game of 24 teams each for B1G and SEC. Also agree UNC and UVA are natural fits for the B1G. Whether or not this comes to fruition is beyond me.
I don’t see either as smart fits. They will be shells of their former selves and eaten alive in no time with no regional rivalries week in and out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am confident that they have no play. If they did have one, they’d be quiet as a church mouse about it while they made their plans.

I mean, really….they think they are going to just break the fundamental agreement by which ESPN was induced to enter into a rights contract and then join another conference and sign the exact same agreement with the exact same company?

Come on.
I agree. ESPN has the ACC schools for 10+ years. They aren't paying any of them more in the SEC. The B1G board considered going to 24 and the schools rejected it roundly. They do not like the idea of two 12 team conferences. So I can see maybe adding Oregon and Washington, but that's it.

It's 16 with UCLA and USC. Purdue probably moves to the east. If you add Oregon and UW to go to 18, you can move Illinois east. It allows some of the B1G rivalries to stay intact.

Reaction Score
I agree. ESPN has the ACC schools for 10+ years. They aren't paying any of them more in the SEC. The B1G board considered going to 24 and the schools rejected it roundly. They do not like the idea of two 12 team conferences. So I can see maybe adding Oregon and Washington, but that's it.

It's 16 with UCLA and USC. Purdue probably moves to the east. If you add Oregon and UW to go to 18, you can move Illinois east. It allows some of the B1G rivalries to stay intact.
ESPN could come out ahead because they would stop overpaying forthe BC's and the Wakes, etc of the ACC and if they went to a big boy football conference now the Clemsons and FSU's playing other big boys would create a synergistic effect when playing those top teams.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Come on.

I'm not saying I think they have a plan, I'm saying I think they think they have a plan. And that planight just be having to fight in public.

Absolutely agree if they had a sure fire way out they'd be silent right up to the announcement.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
“UConn football bad” is the laziest crap ever. Look what they did with a competent coach for the first time in a decade.

They won a league with Cuse, WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, Louisville, USF 20% of the time they were in it.

I don’t see anyone talking about ND. Do they stay in the ACC sans the magnificent 7? IMO they never should have left the Big East as it is now a Midwest small private Catholic league. Could be something to keep an eye on. Does Ackerman give them all call?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom