January Recruiting Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DeBerry was the No. 15 (ESPN) No 3 (PN) recruit in her class. Geno said she was the most skilled post coming in that he has had. A project? Come on. She may end up great or she may end up a disappointment but just because one poster included her on "project" list doesn't make her one.

Seeing that her court time has been limited just like DeBerry and skills don't matter I guess Fudd is also a project? Hopefully she and DeBerry won't slow down the rest of the roster. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
DeBerry was the No. 15 (ESPN) No 3 (PN) recruit in her class. Geno said she was the most skilled post coming in that he has had. A project? Come on. She may end up great or she may end up a disappointment but just because one poster included her on "project" list doesn't make her one.

Seeing that her court time has been limited just like DeBerry and skills don't matter I guess Fudd is also a project? Hopefully she and DeBerry won't slow down the rest of the roster. :rolleyes:
The number of freshmen each year who are NOT projects can be counted on one hand - and they are not always top five in “ the trades.”

Reaction Score
The number of freshmen each year who are NOT projects can be counted on one hand - and they are not always top five in “ the trades.”
You have a different definition of project. Most freshmen need to adjust to college ball. Gabriel had played BB for 2 years and had almost no training but she was recommended and signed by Geno based on her size, athleticism and more importantly her attitude. He described her as raw and a project. I remember reading that she would need 2 years work to be college skilled.
DeBerry is skilled. She missed most of the summer with some sort of injury. Geno even said she was only getting started with conditioning when practice started. It should be no surprise to see her a little lost in a game.

Here are comments from Olson going back 6 years:

USA Trials-May 2019: Agile interior prospect brings superior size, defensive presence to the key; alters shots, rebounds and initiates the fast break; offensive firepower brings face up game threat in the key and beyond; mobile in transition game; impacts in the paint; a power-5 prospect in the class of 2021. (Olson)

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2019: Agile front court performer with face up game to 15'; emerging low-post game, finishes plays over defenders; impacts on defense, alters shots; mobile in transition game; continues as a coveted prospect in the 2021 class. (Olson)

USJN-July 2018: Impact front court prospect with finesse game; shot blocker with superior length; superb in transition game, scores in uptempo; soft touch in post game, finishes plays in traffic; continues as a next level impact performer. (Olson)

USA Trials-May 2018: Agile interior performer with efficient post game; defends the lane, rebounds and initiates the fast break; skilled in block game yields results; separates from the competition at the forward position. (Olson)

USJN-July 2017: Agile front court prospect with superior length, wingspan offers shot blocking presence; quick in face up attack, exploits mismatches, finishes plays with either hand in traffic; elevates on jumper in lane, brings soft touch in key; fundamental, keeps ball high in paint; emerges as an elite front court prospect in the class of 2021. (Olson)

Fall Ball Classic-September 2016: Agile faceup-4 attacks rim, exploits mismatches and delivers in traffic; soft touch through lane, rebounds and delivers with consistency in key; an elite prospect in the class of 2021. (Olson)

Reaction Score

Actually, Geno said, “most naturally skilled since Breanna Stewart”. Once again, most (99%) players, especially bigs, need time to develop into a college level post. Ones like PB, Maya are like hen’s teeth! Look at Tina Charles. She frustrated Geno to the point of pulling his hair out, yet in the end, became the most dominant post in the country! Let’s just give her some time!

Reaction Score
Actually, Geno said, “most naturally skilled since Breanna Stewart”. Once again, most (99%) players, especially bigs, need time to develop into a college level post. Ones like PB, Maya are like hen’s teeth! Look at Tina Charles. She frustrated Geno to the point of pulling his hair out, yet in the end, became the most dominant post in the country! Let’s just give her some time!
I agree. I wonder though if she may be better as a stretch 4.

Reaction Score
KK discusses Uconn recruitment, USA basketball and her development...

Wow! Sign me up! What a great looking/sounding kid! She is really impressive! As our obstetrician said when my second child (10.5 lbs) was born; “She’s a keeper!” Geno & CD must be ecstatic to have her as Paige’s successor! I am so impressed (and grateful)!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You have a different definition of project. Most freshmen need to adjust to college ball. Gabriel had played BB for 2 years and had almost no training but she was recommended and signed by Geno based on her size, athleticism and more importantly her attitude. He described her as raw and a project. I remember reading that she would need 2 years work to be college skilled.
DeBerry is skilled. She missed most of the summer with some sort of injury. Geno even said she was only getting started with conditioning when practice started. It should be no surprise to see her a little lost in a game.

Here are comments from Olson going back 6 years:

USA Trials-May 2019: Agile interior prospect brings superior size, defensive presence to the key; alters shots, rebounds and initiates the fast break; offensive firepower brings face up game threat in the key and beyond; mobile in transition game; impacts in the paint; a power-5 prospect in the class of 2021. (Olson)

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2019: Agile front court performer with face up game to 15'; emerging low-post game, finishes plays over defenders; impacts on defense, alters shots; mobile in transition game; continues as a coveted prospect in the 2021 class. (Olson)

USJN-July 2018: Impact front court prospect with finesse game; shot blocker with superior length; superb in transition game, scores in uptempo; soft touch in post game, finishes plays in traffic; continues as a next level impact performer. (Olson)

USA Trials-May 2018: Agile interior performer with efficient post game; defends the lane, rebounds and initiates the fast break; skilled in block game yields results; separates from the competition at the forward position. (Olson)

USJN-July 2017: Agile front court prospect with superior length, wingspan offers shot blocking presence; quick in face up attack, exploits mismatches, finishes plays with either hand in traffic; elevates on jumper in lane, brings soft touch in key; fundamental, keeps ball high in paint; emerges as an elite front court prospect in the class of 2021. (Olson)

Fall Ball Classic-September 2016: Agile faceup-4 attacks rim, exploits mismatches and delivers in traffic; soft touch through lane, rebounds and delivers with consistency in key; an elite prospect in the class of 2021. (Olson)

Hopefully you noticed the steady regression of Amari's rankings where she went from an "elite" prospect to "coveted"to P5 prospects from HS Freshman from 2016 to 2019. Amari is a project in the sense that she will need to elevate her game to get back to elite status.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully you noticed the steady regression of Amari's rankings where she went from an "elite" prospect to "coveted"to P5 prospects from HS Freshman from 2016 to 2019. Amari is a project in the sense that she will need to elevate her game to get back to elite status.
Hopefully you noticed that due to injury DeBerry missed the strength/conditioning sessions and all summer practices/ scrimmages until official practice started?

Reaction Score
Amari has made some real progress since college though or at least it appears clear to me. Have yet to see much in post moves so far though. I like her attitude and agressiveness.

Reaction Score
Gotta say that Ayanna is a project to a degree. She needs a lot more real coaching on a variety of areas. How to break a press. How to position oneself to receive the ball in a position to score. I don't get why she spends so much time on the perimeter when she's clearly the dominant force inside in a game. Better skill development on ball handling. etc.

Reaction Score
I would not count on her having a senior year. Before her injury, I would have counted on her sticking for four. However, the injury may have given SuperWoman a different perspective on her invincibility.

Not sayin' . . . just speculatin'.
or it could do the reverse.........she misses playing college ball with her pals and wants to finish it out together

Reaction Score
Gotta say that Ayanna is a project to a degree. She needs a lot more real coaching on a variety of areas. How to break a press. How to position oneself to receive the ball in a position to score. I don't get why she spends so much time on the perimeter when she's clearly the dominant force inside in a game. Better skill development on ball handling. etc.
other than Paige and maybe CD, who isn't a project on this team right now?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Doesn’t “project” usually mean a player who has enough attributes for a varsity player so as to be a reasonable recruit but missing one or more of a level of competition, experience, or refinement of skills to be a useful contributor until those missing qualities are overcome? And a UConn “project” might not be as much of a “project” at a different level program. We’ve had transfers who were terrific at their previous school but not impactful at UConn.

Big kids in both the women’s and men’s game often have the biggest adjustment if for no reason other than the size advantage they typically had in hs they don’t have any more , are facing skilled players more or less their own size and are forced to refine skills around the hoop they didn’t have to rely on against smaller or a least less skilled players. The UConn men may be looking at exactly that next year with Donovan Clingan who has no problem at 7’2” dominating in hs, has some obvious skills and work ethic but maybe has been little challenged by any bigs with skill or subjected to the level of speed he’ll be facing. DeBerry is in the same situation but gets to practice against a few pretty skilled and experienced players her size. Her shooting form looks good to the extent it’s needed and hopefully her inside offense will get there. Gabriel has much more ground to make up but she’s obviously athletic and strong. Right now the quality front court depth including Edwards doesn’t leave a huge a number of minutes for others outside of garbage time.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hopefully you noticed that due to injury DeBerry missed the strength/conditioning sessions and all summer practices/scrimmages until official practice started?
I didn't notice that because it didn't happen. Stick to what has been reported and stop making stuff up. What was reported by Geno and Christyn Williams was that Amari had to make up a conditioning test. UCONN played in two scrimmages Amari Deberry played 6:39 seconds in one of those scrimmages and the details of the 2nd scrimmage could not be reported because it was against a DI opponent.

Reaction Score
I didn't notice that because it didn't happen. Stick to what has been reported and stop making stuff up. What was reported by Geno and Christyn Williams was that Amari had to make up a conditioning test. UCONN played in two scrimmages Amari Deberry played 6:39 seconds in one of those scrimmages and the details of the 2nd scrimmage could not be reported because it was against a DI opponent.
My best recollection is that the reason she failed the conditioning test was because she had been injured and missed the entire summer strength and conditioning program, unlike Ducharme who benefited from it.
But that's a sidetrack and not very relevent to whether Amari DeBerry and Piath Gabriel belong together in a phrase describing UConn "projects", which was all I disagreed with. I'm not trying to change your mind, just stating mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99