January Recruiting Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I've read a bit about 2023 Letycia Vasconcelos. 6'7" Brazilian now at Montverde. I want her to replace Piath as the project we would all love to see make it big.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've read a bit about 2023 Letycia Vasconcelos. 6'7" Brazilian now at Montverde. I want her to replace Piath as the project we would all love to see make it big.
I don't think this program can afford to have 3 "project" post players (Piath, Amari, Letycia) on the roster at the same time.

Reaction Score
She's kinda on my Gamecock project list too. She would (hopefully) get a year backing up Cardosa and they would share a mother language/country. Unfortunately, '23 Stack is also on my project list and she is a legacy.

Reaction Score
Is KK anywhere near as good as KiKi or is KIKi a level above?
KK seems to be a little more quicker & creative then KiKi both can shoot. KiKi is just taller. 1 went to UCLA and other choose UConn which develops their players like none other in the country.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I don't think this program can afford to have 3 "project" post players (Piath, Amari, Letycia) on the roster at the same time.
True, true. But you see in my fantasy on that post Piath (and Amari) had made it big. Which I would love to see. I don't know why, but I just think she is a special lady.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Paige's senior year is looking better all the time. Maybe our best shot at a NC? We are accumulating a lot of great talent.
I would be disappointed that UConn's best shot at another would not be until Paige's senior season. With all the talent UConn has and have coming in, I am thinking that any of the next three seasons could bring a NC.

Reaction Score
I always keep an eye on Sluconn and Coco here - their knowledge just baffles me. But, the January thread doesn't have a ton on Shade; however, I know I have seen here in previous months. I'm guessing that since she was not expected to sign here, there wasn't a tremendous focus on her. What are your opinions? Is she a game changer? From my limited research, it looks like she's a solid player with a ton of intelligence and grit. Does she have that "it" factor?

Reaction Score
I would be disappointed that UConn's best shot at another would not be until Paige's senior season. With all the talent UConn has and have coming in, I am thinking that any of the next three seasons could bring a NC.
I agree with that but what is the best year? The most likely year of top success? I think a strong case could be made for Paige's senior year. especially if they recruit another top big. Look at the talent they have at guard that year. They could even move Caroline to more of a forward position with all that talent and would have a tremendous small ball lineup.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I always keep an eye on Sluconn and Coco here - their knowledge just baffles me. But, the January thread doesn't have a ton on Shade; however, I know I have seen here in previous months. I'm guessing that since she was not expected to sign here, there wasn't a tremendous focus on her. What are your opinions? Is she a game changer? From my limited research, it looks like she's a solid player with a ton of intelligence and grit. Does she have that "it" factor?

You'll find quite a bit on Shade if you use the search function.

Personally, I think she's going to be terrific. Her skill level, BB IQ, compete level, athleticism, and physicality are all top notch.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/11

Breya Cunningham: 14 points

Taj Roberts: 12 points

1/12

Morgan Cheli: 16 points, 12 rebounds

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with @Sluconn Husky thoughts on Shade: Ashlynn is going to terrific for UCONN.
I'm most excited about the pair from Hoosier state (Patterson & Shade) because I believe they are both going to bring a level of sheer athleticism and conditioning that is going to allow UCONN to dictate a pace of play that is going to be hard for other teams to match. The class of 2023 might be one of the most talented to come along in quite a while. UCONN is off to a great start with KK Arnold and Ashlynn Shade but there are still a few other "game changers" available IMO.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I agree with @Sluconn Husky thoughts on Shade: Ashlynn is going to terrific for UCONN.
I'm most excited about the pair from Hoosier state (Patterson & Shade) because I believe they are both going to bring a level of sheer athleticism and conditioning that is going to allow UCONN to dictate a pace of play that is going to be hard for other teams to match. The class of 2023 might be one of the most talented to come along in quite a while. UCONN is off to a great start with KK Arnold and Ashlynn Shade but there are still a few other "game changers" available IMO.
To build upon your post regarding the 2023 class; I have been thinking that it is possible that UConn's 2023 class can rival the great TASSK class. If our friend 'C' comes along. I understand our recruiters are still after Mikayla Williams. Throw in one from Cunningham, Booker, Del Rosario who, I believe, all have offers. Do you or @Sluconn Husky think it's within the realm of possibility?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To build upon your post regarding the 2023 class; I have been thinking that it is possible that UConn's 2023 class can rival the great TASSK class. If our friend 'C' comes along. I understand our recruiters are still after Mikayla Williams. Throw in one from Cunningham, Booker, Del Rosario who, I believe, all have offers. Do you or @Sluconn Husky think it's within the realm of possibility?
Don't believe this to be correct: (Booker, Del Rosario, Cunningham) all have UCONN offers. Booker and Toomey are the only two "documented" UCONN offered players that I'm aware of. As far as surpassing the UCONN TASSK class- it is potentially possible. UCONN could end up signing 4 or 5 of the top 10 kids in this very talented class. BTW, don't sleep on Kitts who is blowing up recently and fits the UCONN mold for versatility very well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I have no inside info, but I'm pessimistic on Williams though haven't given up.

The names that strike me as the most likely contenders for the remaining slots are Booker, Toomey, Sahara Williams, and maybe Cunningham. Again, that's part gut feeling, part trying to put the pieces of available info together.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree with that but what is the best year? The most likely year of top success? I think a strong case could be made for Paige's senior year. especially if they recruit another top big. Look at the talent they have at guard that year. They could even move Caroline to more of a forward position with all that talent and would have a tremendous small ball lineup.
I think her junior year, next year, there is a high chance of UConn winning a NC.

Reaction Score
I think her junior year, next year, there is a high chance of UConn winning a NC.
It's possible of course. But with Boston still at SC and Stanford's front court depth as roadblocks among probably others, I think there's 3 things that need to happen for UConn to have a solid shot. 1) Juhasz has to return for UConn to have experienced front court depth. 2) Aggressiveness and toughness help but aren't enough on their own. Edwards will need to significantly improve in several areas to support and provide that front court depth to match those other top schools. And 3) Brady and Patterson will need to pick up the O and D systems and be high impact players by midseason and definitely by March to make a run. And in anticipation of a possible question, I haven't forgotten anyone. Contributions and ability to compete against high level opponents from AD and PG would be great but I'm not counting on that right now.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's possible of course. But with Boston still at SC and Stanford's front court depth as roadblocks among probably others, I think there's 3 things that need to happen for UConn to have a solid shot. 1) Juhasz has to return for UConn to have experienced front court depth. 2) Aggressiveness and toughness help but aren't enough on their own. Edwards will need to significantly improve in several areas to support and provide that front court depth to match those other top schools. And 3) Brady and Patterson will need to pick up the O and D systems and be high impact players by midseason and definitely by March to make a run. And in anticipation of a possible question, I haven't forgotten anyone. Contributions and ability to compete against high level opponents from AD and PG would be great but I'm not counting on that right now.
4) I believe UCONN will need to reach into the portal to acquire a contributor preferable a strong wing defender capable of playing 2 or 3. Although UCONN will have Paige, Nika, Caroline and Azzi to play those positions 3 of the 4 will have spent significant part of the prior season dealing with injuries. Additionally Aubrey who was playing with the guards in pre-season will also be a year 1/2 removed from back surgery which is always a tricky proposition.

Reaction Score
4) I believe UCONN will need to reach into the portal to acquire a contributor preferable a strong wing defender capable of playing 2 or 3. Although UCONN will have Paige, Nika, Caroline and Azzi to play those positions 3 of the 4 will have spent significant part of the prior season dealing with injuries. Additionally Aubrey who was playing with the guards in pre-season will also be a year 1/2 removed from back surgery which is always a tricky proposition.
I agree, a one season stopgap would probably be a good idea. That would likely be the most noticeable defensive weakness along with defending the interior while committing 12-15 fouls a game to do it. ;) :eek: As frustrating as she can be at times, life without ONO inside on defense will be eye opening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would not count on her having a senior year. Before her injury, I would have counted on her sticking for four. However, the injury may have given SuperWoman a different perspective on her invincibility.

Not sayin' . . . just speculatin'.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Don't believe this to be correct: (Booker, Del Rosario, Cunningham) all have UCONN offers. Booker and Toomey are the only two "documented" UCONN offered players that I'm aware of. As far as surpassing the UCONN TASSK class- it is potentially possible. UCONN could end up signing 4 or 5 of the top 10 kids in this very talented class. BTW, don't sleep on Kitts who is blowing up recently and fits the UCONN mold for versatility very well.
thanks

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I have no inside info, but I'm pessimistic on Williams though haven't given up.

The names that strike me as the most likely contenders for the remaining slots are Booker, Toomey, Sahara Williams, and maybe Cunningham. Again, that's part gut feeling, part trying to put the pieces of available info together.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak