January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Take with however many grains of salt you want:

#9 – The Battle for #1 in 2023 and 2024

In 2023 its a four way race and really depends on flavor, connection, and circuit you have:

Mikayla Williams – LA – Plays for Arkansas Mavericks who a Top 25 college coach told me is the next Mya Moore

Ciera Toomey – PA – Plays for Independent NEPA Elite and a legendary scout told me is the next Elena Delledonne

Judea Watkins – CA – Who for the longest has been the Top player in her class and is highly connected to basketball royalty in Southern California and plays with Cal Swish.

Breya Cunningham – CA – Who doesnt make flashy highlight videos but is a generational traditional post who is a lock sure things at the next level.

In 2024 I see it as a 3 way race between

Joyce Edwards 6-3 F SC – And this might be a one way race because every time I see Edwards I am more impressed. Despite being so good, much of the peripheral nonsense does not seem to affect her she’s very very good.

Olivia Olson 6-2 W MN – One of the greatest players ever from Minnesota is pro ready right now can shoot it from anywhere has a strong physical frame and is a competitor.

Jaloni Cambridge 5-8 G TN – And when you have a premium position like Point Guard it gets more value and Cambridge as a freshman was one of the best if not the best point guard in the country playing against 3 different graduating classes and passed every test. Hard to imagine what her future and upside look like.

#10 – Keep an Eye on Our #1 Player in the 2025, 2026, and 2027 Classes

Lauren Hassell 6-3 F 2027 TN – Ok maybe you know her but this is the next great player in the country stay tuned and make sure if you can you watch her. 6-3 Guards are hard to come by they’re even harder to come by in middle school.

Jenica Lewis 5-10 2026 IA – We did a pretty good article on the best 2026’s nationally which got a lot of traction. Lewis has the offers of a Top 10 rising junior and the game to back it. Playing 16U last year its not hard to see why we have her #1 in 2026.

Zakiyah Johnson 5-11 2025 G – Watched highlights from Naples this weekend and she’s the real deal just a killer and our #1 2025.

Reaction Score
Mikayla sure does looks like a sure thing at the college level. A player who can create her own offense maybe even better than Paige in that regard. A rare talent.

Reaction Score
I worry about both Stanford and SC next year. Betts is next year's freshman of the year and maybe even player of the year. She's that good. She puts an all american on the bench potentially. Imagine a front court of 6 7" Betts as a generational talent, Brink, Belibi and Prectel? I don't see any team with a better front court.

Edwards is favored to go to SC right in 2 years? No decision yet but projected as likely SC. Just what they need is a guard maybe better than Cooke and Henderson. A healthy Raven Johnson coming back is a big plus for them also. She was getting a lot of PT for a freshman at the start of the year. Edwards would be in 2 years but still a major obstacle eventually if she signs with SC.

Those 2 teams are going to be loaded potentially. We really need a Mikayla level talent. I did some research once and the difference between some students who score 800 on the SAT is often great than the students who score between 725 and 800. There is a difference between outstanding and the top 3 minds in the country. The same appears to be true for athletes. We all can see it can't we? Some players are just off the charts good. Paige, Boston, Betts...etc.

Usually Uconn overcomes a statistical anomaly like a Betts with sheer volume of great players. Ciera Toomey would be in that discussion. A top 5 player who FITS at Uconn. Really a player mold Geno has a lot of experience with ( Breanna Stewart for example ). As long as the TEAM has enough talent overall, they have a great chance to win the NC. They can potentially overcome the statistical anomaly talent of an individually fantastic player. Such a TEAM is great fun to watch as well.

Reaction Score
I worry about both Stanford and SC next year. Betts is next year's freshman of the year and maybe even player of the year. She's that good. She puts an all american on the bench potentially. Imagine a front court of 6 7" Betts as a generational talent, Brink, Belibi and Prectel? I don't see any team with a better front court.

Edwards is favored to go to SC right in 2 years? No decision yet but projected as likely SC. Just what they need is a guard maybe better than Cooke and Henderson. A healthy Raven Johnson coming back is a big plus for them also. She was getting a lot of PT for a freshman at the start of the year. Edwards would be in 2 years but still a major obstacle eventually if she signs with SC.

Those 2 teams are going to be loaded potentially. We really need a Mikayla level talent. I did some research once and the difference between some students who score 800 on the SAT is often great than the students who score between 725 and 800. There is a difference between outstanding and the top 3 minds in the country. The same appears to be true for athletes. We all can see it can't we? Some players are just off the charts good. Paige, Boston, Betts...etc.

Usually Uconn overcomes a statistical anomaly like a Betts with sheer volume of great players. Ciera Toomey would be in that discussion. A top 5 player who FITS at Uconn. Really a player mold Geno has a lot of experience with ( Breanna Stewart for example ). As long as the TEAM has enough talent overall, they have a great chance to win the NC. They can potentially overcome the statistical anomaly talent of an individually fantastic player. Such a TEAM is great fun to watch as well.
Betts is good but certainly not that good.

Reaction Score

Scouts are calling Betts the "Tim Duncan of Women's Basketball" high praise.

Reaction Score
With USA basketball last year Betts was the best player on that team and a year younger than almost everyone else. It wasn't even close. She will be an all american next year. Bank on it. I think a better paradigm for her would be the Lew Alcindor of women's basketball or maybe Bill Walton ( Their college names ). At 6'7" she's basically taller than almost everyone and she is very skilled. She's better than Boston was at the same age in my opinion. She led the world in field goal percentage by .40 and she was playing with Azzi, Caitlan Clark, Citron...etc. She's a huge problem.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With USA basketball last year Betts was the best player on that team and a year younger than almost everyone else. It wasn't even close. She will be an all american next year. Bank on it. I think a better paradigm for her would be the Lew Alcindor of women's basketball or maybe Bill Walton ( Their college names ). At 6'7" she's basically taller than almost everyone and she is very skilled. She's better than Boston was at the same age in my opinion. She led the world in field goal percentage by .40 and she was playing with Azzi, Caitlan Clark, Citron...etc. She's a huge problem.
:eek: Betts will likely not even start for Stanford next year much less be an AA. That is an awfully tall paradigm you are putting forward. BTW 1) Kareem and Bill were not eligible as freshman players 2) If you are searching for a tall female basketball players to compare Betts to there was also former #1 Mercedes Russel 3) Betts DID NOT lead U19 team in FG% nor was she second-Amari DeBerry was-perhaps you have heard of her. 4) Bill Walton still goes by Bill Walton -I think 5) You need to add a zero in front of your decimal point as in "She led the world in FG% by .04..... 6). U19 version of Boston can operate more than 6 feet from the basket U19 Betts did not . Betts is going to be a very good players, she is hardly a "huge problem".

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It's simple if they have the best biggest player, say like Wilt, just recruit Bill Russell ;)

Reaction Score
Scouts are calling Betts the "Tim Duncan of Women's Basketball" high praise.

I got to know,while working camps, and became friends with,the coach who was an assistant at Wake Forest that recruited Tim Duncan. Duncan was from Saint Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. On his scouting trip to watch Duncan play the tournament was being played on the beach where they had rolled and packed the sand, and set up bleachers around the court. He told me that the marijuana smoke was so thick in the stands that he was having trouble following the action, but it was obvious Duncan was a rare talent. At any rate Tim Duncan was a quiet, unassuming person who was hard to read, but that he called this coach’s office at 11 pm one night and told him “I’m coming to Wake Forest”, which was about the extent of the conversation. The rest is history, but this coach has a tremendous sense of humor and his extended version of this recruitment is very entertaining.

Reaction Score
Take with however many grains of salt you want:

#9 – The Battle for #1 in 2023 and 2024

In 2023 its a four way race and really depends on flavor, connection, and circuit you have:

Mikayla Williams – LA – Plays for Arkansas Mavericks who a Top 25 college coach told me is the next Mya Moore

Ciera Toomey – PA – Plays for Independent NEPA Elite and a legendary scout told me is the next Elena Delledonne

Judea Watkins – CA – Who for the longest has been the Top player in her class and is highly connected to basketball royalty in Southern California and plays with Cal Swish.

Breya Cunningham – CA – Who doesnt make flashy highlight videos but is a generational traditional post who is a lock sure things at the next level.

In 2024 I see it as a 3 way race between

Joyce Edwards 6-3 F SC – And this might be a one way race because every time I see Edwards I am more impressed. Despite being so good, much of the peripheral nonsense does not seem to affect her she’s very very good.

Olivia Olson 6-2 W MN – One of the greatest players ever from Minnesota is pro ready right now can shoot it from anywhere has a strong physical frame and is a competitor.

Jaloni Cambridge 5-8 G TN – And when you have a premium position like Point Guard it gets more value and Cambridge as a freshman was one of the best if not the best point guard in the country playing against 3 different graduating classes and passed every test. Hard to imagine what her future and upside look like.

Lauren Hassell 6-3 F 2027 TN – Ok maybe you know her but this is the next great player in the country stay tuned and make sure if you can you watch her. 6-3 Guards are hard to come by they’re even harder to come by in middle school.

Jenica Lewis 5-10 2026 IA – We did a pretty good article on the best 2026’s nationally which got a lot of traction. Lewis has the offers of a Top 10 rising junior and the game to back it. Playing 16U last year its not hard to see why we have her #1 in 2026.

Zakiyah Johnson 5-11 2025 G – Watched highlights from Naples this weekend and she’s the real deal just a killer and our #1 2025.

I appreciate your report as always............my only area of disagreement is calling Cunningham a "generational" post...........she looks like a pretty talented wide body but I haven't seen enough to view her as an all-time game changer.....

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

This is a tough assignment for me, since at my age I don’t even buy green bananas anymore!
It is strange seeing the posts about 2023 through 2027 POI's and thinking I may not be around to see them. I'll be thankful to see the 2022 recruits.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I appreciate your report as always............my only area of disagreement is calling Cunningham a "generational" post...........she looks like a pretty talented wide body but I haven't seen enough to view her as an all-time game changer.....
I think you are misreading that two different ways.
It (generational) was not @Sluconn Husky assessment I believe he was just passing on someone else assessment.
Second, you skipped a very important word in that assessment the word was "traditional". I took that to mean back to the basket post player. In that sense there aren't many significant "traditional" post players in WCBB anymore. Today's post want to stretch to the perimeter- without first developing the skills to dominate at the basket. I think what they are saying with Cunningham is that you are getting a very polished back to the player to start with. Other teams have to account for a player like this at or near the basket. Ayoka Lee of Kansas State is that kind of traditional post. Not that I want to give her any credit but MM also turned Jessica Shepard into a "traditional" post player vs what Jessica was (wanted to be) when she played two seasons at Nebraska.

Reaction Score
I agree. Another guy generating hype for his website. Thinks generational players are all over the place out there.

Reaction Score

I actually think Edwards is equally as likely to go to Stanford. She has visited recent, was offered and seems excited about it. She also has been very vocal about how important academics are for her. So, that may make her lean more toward Stanford if that does play a major role in her decision.

Reaction Score
I actually think Edwards is equally as likely to go to Stanford. She has visited recent, was offered and seems excited about it. She also has been very vocal about how important academics are for her. So, that may make her lean more toward Stanford if that does play a major role in her decision.
I don't know about "equally" but Stanford is definitely a real player in the game. That gal loves her academics but she loves her hometown Gamecocks, Dawn and family too.

Reaction Score
:eek: Betts will likely not even start for Stanford next year much less be an AA. That is an awfully tall paradigm you are putting forward. BTW 1) Kareem and Bill were not eligible as freshman players 2) If you are searching for a tall female basketball players to compare Betts to there was also former #1 Mercedes Russel 3) Betts DID NOT lead U19 team in FG% nor was she second-Amari DeBerry was-perhaps you have heard of her. 4) Bill Walton still goes by Bill Walton -I think 5) You need to add a zero in front of your decimal point as in "She led the world in FG% by .04..... 6). U19 version of Boston can operate more than 6 feet from the basket U19 Betts did not . Betts is going to be a very good players, she is hardly a "huge problem".
Amari was 3rd string. 3rd on the center depth chart and played on average 6.7 minutes a game. Betts qualified to lead the entire world in field goal percentage among starting level players. Hello, was she not the top rated player in high school this year? Are you saying that if Kareen could play in his freshman year he wouldn't have been an all american? If you want to continue to insult my opinion I could certainly respond. We will see yet again, won't we. I think she will rival Boston as the top center in women's college basketball next year. She may not start but she will be their best center next year, and they already have a lot of great ones.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amari was 3rd string. 3rd on the center depth chart and played on average 6.7 minutes a game. Betts qualified to lead the entire world in field goal percentage among starting level players. Hello, was she not the top rated player in high school this year? Are you saying that if Kareen could play in his freshman year he wouldn't have been an all american? If you want to continue to insult my opinion I could certainly respond. We will see yet again, won't we. I think she will rival Boston as the top center in women's college basketball next year. She may not start but she will be their best center next year, and they already have a lot of great ones.
:eek:My apologies for "insulting" your opinion by presenting easily verifiable facts.
i-hate-it-when-that-happens-i-hate-it-when.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger