Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Most UCONN fans feel that Kia Nurse will be the starting PG. I am in the minority in that I think Stevens comes off the bench and Crystal starts. I don't care how good Azura is, or will be... when you have a pure PG on the team, and the other option is to start a SG at the 1, I think it's counter-intuitive, but again, I'm in the minority...
It makes sense and you get credit if it happens.

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield, no doubt in my mind, will be the starting PG for her junior and senior years! Not really by any fault of hers but when you have one of the 5 best players in WCBB you start her and ride her like a derby winner! And that is Azura Stevens!
Crystal Dangerfield at the end of last season had a pretty good offensive game but a work in progress defensive game. She has a high work hard attitude and will with the best coaching staff's help will improve by leaps and bounds!
I have seen Azura play many times while she spent 2 years at Duke and she is a super star waiting to arrive. Between our coaching staff and our players both after her transfer year are impressed with what Azura brings to the court! She may be a small step down from where Stewie was at UCONN! She's a 6'6" athlete that can roam the court both offensively and defensively. She has played great on Duke teams that weren't 1/2 as talented as what UCONN has on it's roster for the next 2 years so her level of improvement will be awesome!

Reaction Score
:) All of these wonderful young ladies chose UConn, because they wanted to improve their games, not just hear how wonderful they are. My Stating that Crystal's defense is not as strong as the coach typically prefers is not a negative breakdown, Just an honest observation or Constructive Criticism.

As a fan I would love to see her improve in this area, so she can make the most of her gifts and talents and be an even greater asset to the team, which would also keep her on the floor longer, allowing us to be entertained with the excitement and razzle dazzle she brings to the team.
Crystal is improving her game despite the love/hate posters like you provide. I just think it's comical to read only her name in regards to lack of defense. Have a good life.

Reaction Score
For those who are saying kls will be the starting guard along with nurse, how many times did geno start stewie at guard? As i said in an earlier post 4 of the starters are set and the 5th starter will be a battle between Z and Collier in practice the way geno always decides who starts. Since opposing teams bigs do not fear collier and will take it to her, i see geno starting Z to control the boards something the team struggled with last season.

Reaction Score
For those who are saying kls will be the starting guard along with nurse, how many times did geno start stewie at guard? As i said in an earlier post 4 of the starters are set and the 5th starter will be a battle between Z and Collier in practice the way geno always decides who starts. Since opposing teams bigs do not fear collier and will take it to her, i see geno starting Z to control the boards something the team struggled with last season.

SOME teams disregarded both Gabby and Precious to their regret! Collier and Gabby had real problems with posts over 6-3/4. But my Goodness --5-11 and (maybe) 6'1 --took on giants in Texas/Baylor/USC--and WON.
No one, with BB knowledge, as you have, can discount Napheesa's (Precious) abilities to score in all situations --they ARE limited by size, no doubt.
No one can factually predict who Geno may start this fall--but I'd put two Canadian dollar coins on Geno starting: Precious, Gabby, Katie lou, Kia and Azura--
Some see Danger as a PURE PG--she is--and must start in place of a SG--could be
Some see Azura not starting and Danger taking that spot (not center)--in some games, yes!
@Rsherm --gave a good account of the abilities of Azura--that my friends will not be denied.

Reaction Score

What does Stewie have to do with KLS? They play two different positions and their games are not similar in the least. Stewart is a stretch 4 that did a lot of her work in the post but still had the ability to step out and knock down a 3pt jump shot. KLS is 2/3 that spends 90% of her time on the perimeter and getting run off screens. That is a completely absurd correlation.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Crystal is improving her game despite the love/hate posters like you provide. I just think it's comical to read only her name in regards to lack of defense. Have a good life.

My main concern underlying Crystal Dangerfield and her defense over some other players who maybe are not elite defensively is that
unlike some of the others (KLS and maybe a little bit Phessa), her defense will be important if she is to get to the next level (WNBA). I have absolutely no concern about KLS and Phessa's future in the WNBA irregardless of their defense.

As unfair as it is, her size is 2 strikes against her and unless she becomes nearly as good defensively as MoJeff, I fear she may not crack the top.

On the other hand, she has all the natural speed to be a disruptive force and to me, defense is just effort and anticipation and she has a great model (MJ) to emulate. I hope we see her defense catch up to her other skills. She will need it.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What I said is that Gabby (not KLS) will be the guard opposite to Kia, but that only really applies to the defensive end. On offense, the positions will not be straitjacketed so that everyone can use their skills. You may see KLS functioning (more or less) as a shooting guard on offense, and Gabby functioning (more or less) as a wing who does not take many 3's but does take midrange shots and can drive on any defenders who are not lightning-fast. She (far more than KLS) will be a force on the offensive boards.

But when the other team has the ball, Gabby and Kia will be the primary perimeter defenders.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But when the other team has the ball, Gabby and Kia will be the primary perimeter defenders.
It depends on who is on the floor and who is starting. With a lineup of Kia , KLS, Napheesa, Azura, & Gabby defensively UCONN will switch everything therefore designated "primary perimeter" defenders are not required.
When Crystal comes in the game (as with Natalie last year) switching becomes less of an option. All four of the incoming Freshmen and Batouly have the size to continue switching if inserted into the game.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Who thinks that? I think most feel(as do I) that Nurse will start at the 1, KLS the 2, Williams the 3, Collier the 4, and Stevens the 5.
Geno's UConn teams continue to defy common terminology: Danger is a 1; Kia is a 1.5; KLS is a Swing (part SG, part Wing); Pheesa and Z are Fings (part F, part Wing); and Gabby is a SAK (Swiss Army Knife). How Geno deploys his forces is for him to know and for us to marvel.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't know if it's just me wishful thinking but the way USA basketball is handling Crystal is almost like she is being groomed for 2020 Olympics and if not 2020 definitely beyond.

I don't know if this is true but Dangerfield passes out of a pick-and-roll better than many professional point guards.

I believe Crystal will be the first player off the bench and do what Geno loves his 6th player to do: change the pace of the game.

Reaction Score
All I know is forever Geno is loyal to his seniors. Kia will start every game this season. What happens during the game will be to the enjoyment of all.
Remember the debates we had about KLS and Napheesa that first summer? I am looking forward to seeing the debates warm up about Walker and Coombs.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this is true but Dangerfield passes out of a pick-and-roll better than many professional point guards.

I believe Crystal will be the first player off the bench and do what Geno loves his 6th player to do: change the pace of the game.
Exactly. After 6 minutes or so, when teams with less depth are starting to get winded, she'll come in, kick the pace up a couple more notches and blow the game wide open. Now with some experience, when Auriemma turns her loose,it's going to get nasty when she gets them running.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Until the stats track the number of points scored against an individual player or How many times a player is beaten off the dribble/lose an assignment that leads to another person scoring, those numbers will not tell a complete story, Let's also track how many times a player is benched for not playing defense.. Let's be honest, they are a few weak spots on our team defensively, but if a team were to pick one weakness to exploit, I'll bet Crystal would be that point. :)

Crystal is not the worst defensive player on the team. That said, I will not argue that she is not the worst of the first 6 players on the floor. I've seen her man go right by her on more than one occasion (but not all the time) last year. I gave her a pass last year because she was a freshman. Learning how to play good defense (playing the passing lanes and keeping your arms up) and learning how to keep your man in front of you, is part of making that "sophomore leap" that all freshmen are expected to make. We all know that NOTHING frustrates Geno more than seeing one of his players get beat off the dribble. Saniya Chong's inability to keep her man in front of her played a large part (the other being her I-band injury) of her logging so much pine duty her first three years.

I've also seen Lou get beat several times as did Napheesa, because of being out of position, and not having their feet in the correct position to guard their man. IMO, the two best defensive players for Geno is Kia and Gabby (with Kia being the best). They have the ability (and determination) to keep their man in front of them. Geno once said "when Gabby is guarding you, you're guarded". Any basketball purist knows that you play defense with your feet, not your hands. The good defensive players keep their feet moving while in a defensive stance (instead of standing flat-footed). Sometimes we learn best (and more quickly) from our peers than our instructors (coaches).

I would like to see Dangerfield become tutored by peers Gabby and Kia, during the remainder of the summer, and before or after practice once the season starts. One on one instruction on how to move your feet, how to anticipate a player's movement, and how to take something away from your man. Learn how to be "proactive" instead of reactive. Shoot it, pass it, or drive to the basket. Those are a player's options on offense.

A good defensive player will take one or more of those options away from you. Moriah Jefferson was great at this, so was Stewie. This was a skill they both learned AFTER they arrived at UConn, not before. Dangerfield at some point will learn it too. She'll have to ..........if she wants to play. KML was not a defensive stalwart, but Geno could not afford to take her out of the lineup for long periods of time. That's where Kiah Stokes came in as a counter measure. One was great on offense, the other was great on defense. Geno became masterful at inserting them into the lineup at any given time.

Whether you make them pass it, go in the direction YOU want them to go in, or take a shot that's not the best shot they could take (or they're comfortable with, i.e., a bad shot). The best thing (as far as you're concerned) is for your man to pass the ball to another player. If you can do that, then, you've done your job. You kept your man from scoring.

You ALWAYS try and help your teammates if and when you can, because EVERYONE gets beat once in a while. If you can hold YOUR man scoreless for all or most of the game, that frustrates them, and puts more pressure to score on their teammates. Remember 3 years ago when Ohio State's (and the nation's) leading scorer Kelsey Mitchell was held to just 8 points when they played UConn? Great defense held her to those 8 points. That was one of the reasons UConn won that game by such a large margin, because no one else stepped up. The twin towers at South Carolina were both always held to well under their season average when they played UConn because of good tight defense played by Stewie and Tuck.

The last time UConn played Notre Dame for the NC, Brianna Turner (their leading scorer) was held scoreless in the first half by Stewie and Tuck. Crystal is quick enough to be a lock-down defender. She just has to learn and master the "technique"...................like Jefferson did. I'm betting she will. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Exactly. After 6 minutes or so, when teams with less depth are starting to get winded, she'll come in, kick the pace up a couple more notches and blow the game wide open. Now with some experience, when Auriemma turns her loose, it's going to get nasty when she gets them running.

BobbyJ, you get it!!!! That is exactly what's going to happen. You're not alone in your observation, you have lots of company. Crystal will not start, but once she comes in, the pace and energy will pick up.
She may play as many minutes as any starter, and stay on the floor until the game has been decided. Two thumbs up to you sir. Excellent post!!! :)

Carnac

Reaction Score

Welcome to the club. :)

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Geno said no one comes out of high school playing good defense.
That is a truism when speaking of HS vs College, but some in HS play pretty fair HS defense--it's a matter of levels.
Danger today Vs Italy played good defense--can it be better--we'll see. The one important thing to take from USA vs Italy--when Danger was in the game--USA excelled, when she was not USA's lead went away. The coach subbed out Danger in the 4th qtr and almost immediately PUSHED danger into the game. She is that important to US.

Reaction Score
That is a truism when speaking of HS vs College, but some in HS play pretty fair HS defense--it's a matter of levels.
Danger today Vs Italy played good defense--can it be better--we'll see. The one important thing to take from USA vs Italy--when Danger was in the game--USA excelled, when she was not USA's lead went away. The coach subbed out Danger in the 4th qtr and almost immediately PUSHED danger into the game. She is that important to US.

I watched the game Saturday and saw the same thing aboutvwhen Danger was and wasn't in the game

Reaction Score
I have been following the discussion(s) about starters, Crystal, Azura, Nurse and now Coombs. First, it would be a puzzle to me if Azura left Duke for Uconn to come off the bench. That would send tremors in the wbb world. And many would simply laugh. It won't happen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have been following the discussion(s) about starters, Crystal, Azura, Nurse and now Coombs. First, it would be a puzzle to me if Azura left Duke for Uconn to come off the bench. That would send tremors in the wbb world. And many would simply laugh. It won't happen.
When she left Duke I was of the same opinion that she would automatically be a starter. Since Azura left Duke 3 UCONN WCBB players have played themselves into AA and national POY candidates two of them playing the same position as Azura. Still likely that Azura starts but for her to start in the front court would mean she's displacing a returning UCONN AA. Which one?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom