Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
j66kicker- - -I don't think it had anything to do about NOT exhibiting the heart of a champion! I think this team over-achieved all season and when they reached back for that extra push they've had all season the tanks were empty! If they didn't exhibit the heart of a champion how did they make it so competitive into overtime on a last second shot! With no heart they would have allowed MissSt. to blow them out earlier!

Sports fans and boosters see things (a game, a season) differently. Some will see a .900 season as a great season, others will see it as a disappointing and underachieving one. Sports, like life depends on one's perspective.
A family living on a low minimum wage income will definitely experience life differently than a family living on a high seven figures a year income. It's hard for any fan base to accept a 2 point overtime loss any time during the tournament, no matter how you look at it. UConn's 2 point overtime loss in November 2014 is still a sore spot to some, because they know UConn could have and should have won that game. The common thread in both loses was they weren't ready to play.

Last year, Auriemma prophesied UConn's upcoming season perfectly (in spite of hoping they would get their butts whupped.................and quick). He said for UConn to lose, a team would have to play their A+ game, and the Huskies would have to help them by playing a sub-par B or C game. That's exactly what happened. UConn did not play their usual A game on either end of the court, especially the offensive end. Missing easy mid-range shots, layups and put backs. As one poster said: "Failing to get to 50/50 balls that allowed MSU to attempt 67 field goals compared to a mere 46 for the Huskies". Missing 8 of their 25 free throws didn't help either.

Another poster said: "Mississippi State shot 37% in that game. UConn got beat badly on second chance points, created almost no turnovers, and let the Bullsdogs control the pace and style of game". Miss St. controlled the game from the tip. UConn was playing from behind all night, something they were not used to doing. This had to erode their confidence as the game progressed. UConn fans thought that UConn would out last the Bull Dogs, and pull it out at the end (some how) like they always do. Not this time. The Huskies allowed the dogs to hang around the entire game, giving them the late 4th quarter confidence they need to put UConn away in the overtime period, and finish the deal.

Shock and awe enveloped the arena that night. It was a very biter pill to swallow. Tears flowed like a river in the UConn locker room after the game. This was the game Geno had been hoping for all year, but not this late into the season. None the less a game that will serve the program well in the years to come. I remind you of the impact their November 2014 loss to Stanford had on the program. UConn went on to win its next 111 games. We don't know how long their next win streak will be, or how many national championships UConn will secure before another team wins one. With the talent UConn has on its current roster, and the players the staff have targeted in the from the next 3 classes, UConn should be the odds on favorite to win at least 3 of the next 5 championships. The quest for the first of those three begins this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One problem with the proposed starting line up is that it is really slow. Saniya was the fastest player, and now we plug in her place the team's slowest player. The rest of last year's starters aren't all that fast either. Quick penetrating guards are going to be a problem. Crystal Dangerfield needs to become Mo, at least on defense, in the next 3 1/2 months.

We'll have to wait and see how many quick penetrating guards our girls encounter. If and when they do, Geno can always make adjustments after the game starts. If they are successful at penetrating continuously, that means somebody is getting beat of the dribble.

If that happens, substitution(s) we be in order. It's hard to get by Kia. That would suggest the "other" guard will be getting beat. If it's Gabulous, I don't see that happening either. Maybe once or twice, but not continuously.

I expect to see Crystal be the first player off the bench around the 4 minute mark. I expect Camara to be the next player to come off the bench to give one of the wings or possibly Stevens a blow that spans the end of the 1st quarter, and the beginning of the second. Once Dangerfield enters the game, she may not come out the rest of the half, depending on her effectiveness and the flow of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quick talented guards have dribble driven to the basket and score with minor difficulty against Geno's teams , except when Geno had a great backstop--like Kiah.--it is one area that has a common thread. With players like Tuck and Moriah drivers had more difficulty. But they had Kiah and Stewie if anyone went by them, Nothing like that last year. Gabby is a great post defender of anyone under 6/3 and a darn good open floor defender--but she only one person.
Geno at times MAY make in-game corrects--when he can make those corrections he usually makes them at half time. (most recent Ms St game, they came out scoring) True if some is beaten continually on defense or takes bad shots he will put in a sub. But often good team take advantage of the holes in Geno's "help" defense. When someone slides over to help, a hole exists. In the Tulane game and MD ( couldn't stop Slocum) last year, Uconn came exceptionally close to losing, the Tulne driving/attacking kids open up holes and should have shown WCBB how to mis-use Geno's Help defensive system--but only a few followed that lead--but it was seen and used by Schaefer.
No Geno cannot always fix that which is happening on the floor--years ago he took offense to those speaking of such weaknesses--saying he can't be on the court. True, so you rely on top floor generals--and when he had them he was successful.
Lack of depth in specific positions were a killer last season. Geno's offenses and defense and dedicated kids, busting their tails to win, masked those area. They over achieved. Super kids, with great attitudes. The bench was as it was--only a few square pegs to plug in the round holes of weakness. No insult to the bench--they just didn't have that which was needed .
Geno is the top WcBB coach and has been for more than 15 years. Humans are human no matter how hard we try to make it not so.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well honestly no! Some of us a methodical enough to track such things as how many many times a given player gets beaten off the dribble. How else would I have concluded that Brooke McCarthy took Crystal to school during the Texas game? BTW unless you are Geno it is impossible to tell why a player was benched. In Crystal case it happen once during her entire Freshmen year and it had nothing to do with defense. With 1:52 remaining during the ND game Crystal caught an inbounds pass under the basket and immediately spun into a double team resulting in a tie up. Geno sub Saniya in for Crystal-Yes some of us track those things also.
Wasn't she benched after that razzle-dazzle layup that she missed? Can't remember.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
when Danger was in the game--USA excelled, when she was not USA's lead went away. The coach subbed out Danger in the 4th qtr and almost immediately PUSHED danger into the game. She is that important to US.
It seemed to me that that was true two years ago when Crystal played on the U19 team. Maybe I was biased.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wouldn't get hung up about who plays what position on this team. Geno will start his 5 best players. IMO that's the returning 4 starters + Z.
Will he start the five best players on the team, or the five players that make for the best team? (I tend to agree with you.)

Reaction Score
It seemed to me that that was true two years ago when Crystal played on the U19 team. Maybe I was biased.
Two years ago -Danger just a kid--played in the USA game and was fantastic. I stated here on the By that at times, while watching Crystal, I thought I was watching Moriah. She was that good. She dropped a couple 3s, and dished with the best. That was the point that made me a Dangerfield Fan--no change from me now! If you are BIASED, you are in good company..

Reaction Score
j66kicker- - -I don't think it had anything to do about NOT exhibiting the heart of a champion! I think this team over-achieved all season and when they reached back for that extra push they've had all season the tanks were empty! If they didn't exhibit the heart of a champion how did they make it so competitive into overtime on a last second shot! With no heart they would have allowed MissSt. to blow them out earlier!

Many on the Boneyard before last season started predicted up to 5 losses for this UConn Sextet.
RSherm--you are soooo Right in your assessment of that team. In every way they over-excelled, achieved, won games. No true depth, 5-11 and 6-1 fighting 6-7 (ms st) 6/5/,6/4 --(Baylor, Texas, USC) and not only held their own--but won. Battled 4 teams to the wire (won 3) without any REAL relief from the bench--HEART is spelled --Gabby, Naphessa, KLS, Kia, Saniya, Danger--that is how Uconn spelled HEART this season. Uconn never had Champions with more heart.
Kudo/s to you RSherm--you nailed it.

Reaction Score
Will he start the five best players on the team, or the five players that make for the best team? (I tend to agree with you.)
Oldude is right, as usual. Personally I think maybe for some Starting is really important others may think minutes important--young kids think just getting into the game. Geno I believe may start 5 for more games to set up a standard starting unit--and tell the world--this is OUR team. But once the ball goes up, he'll mix and match, because he CAN. Oldude is a good one to agree with--I do --to make people think I know the game.

Reaction Score
RSherm--you are soooo Right in your assessment of that team. In every way they over-excelled, achieved, won games. No true depth, 5-11 and 6-1 fighting 6-7 (ms st) 6/5/,6/4 --(Baylor, Texas, USC) and not only held their own--but won. Battled 4 teams to the wire (won 3) without any REAL relief from the bench--HEART is spelled --Gabby, Naphessa, KLS, Kia, Saniya, Danger--that is how Uconn spelled HEART this season. Uconn never had Champions with more heart.
Kudo/s to you RSherm--you nailed it.
Yes they did - they were actually champions.

Reaction Score
I was not denying others WERE Champions--heart is more than about Being Champions--it's about digging down to the depth of your energy, mentality, and soul to achieve that which is beyond your ability to achieve--This team did just that.
You define Heart of a Champion--any way you want to--that is your opinion and choice.
There is no way in hell, heaven or earth I personally can believe these kids gave less of themselves than Maya, Stew, or Dt did in any season they won championships.

While many define Uconn WCBB by the Win's---I like wins-- but the NC to me was just a bragging point--nice to win. I loved watching, what I thought was poetry in motion, these kids play BB as it should be played --win, lose or draw.

You are safe with your opinion--I'll happily live with mine.

Reaction Score

j66kicker- - -to take my point above 1 step further. As I've stated on the BY before I was a Wrestling HC at East Lyme HS for 29 years and we had some really great teams during that time. But there were days where as HC before a meet I just had a bad feeling deep inside, nothing you can really put your finger on but I knew we were off. Maybe we were too quiet in prematch, or too loose in prematch, or a look in everyone's eyes as I went around repeating some scouting facts each individual had to know.
And whether we were facing a really tough opponent or a step down from us I just knew we were off. And like a snowball rolling downhill we gathered negative momentum and wound up losing! I never questioned my kids HEART but they were teenager's and they're flaky!
Another example, I had a 189lber/jr. year and he was 215lber his senior year, Brendan, who was one of the top wrestlers in CT both years, 56-0 and 2 Conference, Class L, and State Open Champion. But in the New England's He lost 2 matches each year, finishing 3rd & 4th, when he should have taken first easy! Something in his mind set him off and no matter what we talked about, on the mat he wasn't the same Wrestler!
Go figure!
UCONN WBB left it all on the court previously, both mentally & physically!

Reaction Score
Ooooops---I fornagate it---even YOU cannot now deny they have/had the Hearts OF CHAMPIONS

They actually Won a Championship-----They were 2 way CHAMPIONS OF THE AAC---!!!!!

CHAMPIONS ALL!! How soon we all forget!

Reaction Score
j66kicker- - -to take my point above 1 step further. As I've stated on the BY before I was a Wrestling HC at East Lyme HS for 29 years and we had some really great teams during that time. But there were days where as HC before a meet I just had a bad feeling deep inside, nothing you can really put your finger on but I knew we were off. Maybe we were too quiet in prematch, or too loose in prematch, or a look in everyone's eyes as I went around repeating some scouting facts each individual had to know.
And whether we were facing a really tough opponent or a step down from us I just knew we were off. And like a snowball rolling downhill we gathered negative momentum and wound up losing! I never questioned my kids HEART but they were teenager's and they're flaky!
Another example, I had a 189lber/jr. year and he was 215lber his senior year, Brendan, who was one of the top wrestlers in CT both years, 56-0 and 2 Conference, Class L, and State Open Champion. But in the New England's He lost 2 matches each year, finishing 3rd & 4th, when he should have taken first easy! Something in his mind set him off and no matter what we talked about, on the mat he wasn't the same Wrestler!
Go figure!
UCONN WBB left it all on the court previously, both mentally & physically!

No one can now deny this past season Uconn team were Champions--with the hearts to match--they won the AAC championship 2 ways. So no denying they are Champions.
Wow!! A Wrestling HC in East Lime--I knew you were dangerous --now I know how dangerous.
No dark alleys with me --you go. (Shakespeare wrote that it was found in the trash 400 years later)

Reaction Score
While I agree that Stevens will be the 5th starter this year, it was UConn's poor play on the offensive end and not the defensive that cost them a W against MSU. McCowan played well but was far from dominating with 10pts and 8rbs. It was UConn's poor foul shooting, turnovers, and failure to get to 50/50 balls that allowed MSU to attempt 67 field goals compared to a mere 46 for the Huskies.

Wont again re-hash the Ms Game---beaten to death, by me. You present an interesting comment.
May i interject this thought---Whether Uconn was defective in Offense or defense--no longer matters.
The size of Azura, if she stays healthy, is the 4 th horse Uconn will ride to victory. I'm assuming Geno spent the year teaching her Geno's defense--so she is good to go. The other 7 from last year know the defenses--Azura, can rebound--KLS, Gabby, Collier too.
All Uconn has to be is more effective on Offense than their opponents--seems to me Uconn is loaded with that kind of weapon. You Either beat them with Defense or Offense--in a perfect scenario--both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom