Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!! | The Boneyard

Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Dangerfield vs Mali.JPG

Want some off season good news? Crystal is more "jacked" in the muscle department than before... Crystal is playing better than before... Crystal is the leader and CAPTAIN of the USA team in Italy.
Consider some stats:

1. In the last 5 games, she is averaging 21.5 minutes per game, most on the team.
2. Three point shooting = 7-17 or 41.2%..!! :cool:
3. Points = 49 total.... 17 vs Spain and 11 vs China.
4. Free throws = 4-5 or 80%..! ;)
5. Assists and turnovers equal at 12 each, but playing with new team mates, with little practice. (2 assists were the "Did I just see that..?" variety..!!)
6. Steals = 4
7. USA is 5-0 in those five games.

Five games in seven days, half way around the world in Italy, with brand new team mates, very little practice, and Crystal is leading USA to the gold..!! :)

Go USA..!!

P.S. - Tip of the hat to Wbbfan1 and Sluconn for updates, stats and observations..! Also, UConn Cat..!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to most of you she will not be a starting pg for uconn this year? You seem to think gabby or kls will be the pg, which they never played at uconn since day 1.

Reaction Score
View attachment 23719

Want some off season good news? Crystal is more "jacked" in the muscle department than before... Crystal is playing better than before... Crystal is the leader and CAPTAIN of the USA team in Italy.
Consider some stats:

1. In the last 5 games, she is averaging 21.5 minutes per game, most on the team.
2. Three point shooting = 7-17 or 41.2%..!! :cool:
3. Points = 49 total.--- 17 vs Spain and 11 vs China.
4. Free throws = 4-5 or 80%..! ;)
5. Assists and turnovers equal at 12 each, but playing with new team mates, with little practice. (2 assists were the "Did I just see that..?" variety..!!)
6. Steals = 4
7. USA is 5-0 in those five games.

Five games in seven days, half way around the world in Italy, with brand new team mates, very little practice, and Crystal is leading USA to the gold..!! :)

Go USA..!!

P.S. - Tip of the hat to Wbbfan1 and Sluconn for updates, stats and observations..! Also, UConn Cat..!
Again--EXCELLENT. Danger has been my "girl" since the PAN AM games last year---then with her injury (concussion) and Geno's pine club for lack of D. She did not develop as rapidly as the Baylor game would tend to indicate.
No doubter--just wondering what the next season would bring--and apparently--from YOUR posting the this coming season is nothing but blue skys and zooming toward the moon.
Thank you David--any time you give high praise of one of OUR ladies---I know we are heading in the right direction---thank you.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
According to most of you she will not be a starting pg for uconn this year? You seem to think gabby or kls will be the pg, which they never played at uconn since day 1.
Most UCONN fans feel that Kia Nurse will be the starting PG. I am in the minority in that I think Stevens comes off the bench and Crystal starts. I don't care how good Azura is, or will be... when you have a pure PG on the team, and the other option is to start a SG at the 1, I think it's counter-intuitive, but again, I'm in the minority...

Reaction Score

What you say has a ring of truth to it---I am a Danger supporter--but realist--as most others with rare exceptions, we don't have access to the inner workings of Geno's brain--but try to guess from past action of Geno's. Believing Geno is Loyal to Seniors who gave him everything they had--I suggest that KIA shall be the Point guard--with Danger sharing point after the game begins. That scenario appears to have advantages--fixes the loyalty issue, rests Kia's weary legs, and bring Danger along without much pressure on her. Kia has so much experience at the Point, and game experience--can you think Geno would waste it.
I don't know if Danger will be an AA before she graduates, nor do I care. She will excel at Uconn and give us 3 more years of viewing her growth--can it get better than that??

Reaction Score
Most UCONN fans feel that Kia Nurse will be the starting PG. I am in the minority in that I think Stevens comes off the bench and Crystal starts. I don't care how good Azura is, or will be... when you have a pure PG on the team, and the other option is to start a SG at the 1, I think it's counter-intuitive, but again, I'm in the minority...

Eric---What you say is true--you are in the minority--Kia may be a shooting guard, but has played PG for Canada and Geno as the need arose.
I tend to believe the truth in Azura/ Ms Stevens --coming off the bench--here is the issue I see--
Azura joined Uconn to get high national exposure, to be trained/education for the PRO game,
getting into the game from the bench--has an implication to it-- that Azura is not one of Uconn's top players--EGO/ Scouts may think Geno has lower regard for her. Geno had demands and expectations and controls his team--true--but if he see's Stevens in the same manner fans do--he won't want to upset the apple cart. Danger has 3 years of top level play (even coming from the bench)--Azura one possibly 2. Geno too sees reality.
As Geno says---everyone has armpits--and opinions--some stink more than others --just my less than humble/un-education observation --opinion.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
SIGH... !! They are plenty of people who can score and share the ball on this team, Crystals Defense is just not strong enough at this point. This is the area I believe Geno will be going after her the most. I'm just not seeing any huge growth in that area. To me, it seems like Crystal is just content on reacting to the offensive player(s) instead of attacking them and forcing them to do what is uncomfortable. There is no doubt in my mind that she can and will be an offensive force, but I'm not so sure that is what is needed/expected of her right now with a team so loaded with scoring.

Reaction Score
MY opinion: Dangerfield is looking good at running the point. Seems quicker, stronger, more confident and more aware in all respects compared with last year. Defensively, she is having trouble getting around screens and loses her assignment. Otherwise, her defense also has improved. I think she will be significantly better this year.

Reaction Score
No team does a better job at switching on defense then uconn. I watched the game yesterday and you are right Dangerfield was not getting around screens on D but that team wasn't switching at all. So everyone thinks that mojo could get better her sophomore year but Dangerfield can't?
Another question, name the last player at uconn that geno changed from a forward to a guard after playing forward their first couple years as a starter?

Reaction Score
Again with kia nurse? There's 2 guards on the team, kia will be one and Dangerfield the other. What is so hard to understand? Gabby, kls, and Collier are NOT guards!!!!!

There are a lot more than 2 guards on the team. There are 3 freshmen, 2 sophs and one senior. I am thrilled that Crystal Dangerfield is playing well against 18-19 year old foreign kids, hopefully she will do as well against bigger, faster and stronger kids in the Kia Nurse mold later in the fall. My bet is that Combs and Walker will also get their minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Crystals Defense is just not strong enough at this point.
They all have room for improvement but of the returning players Crystal put up the best defensive numbers at the guard position last year. In significantly less minutes (1009:743) Crystal had the same amount of rebounds as Kia 69 each and only 4 less steals 33 to 29. Crystal was taken to school a couple of times last year most notably by Brooke McCarthy of Texas. Skylar took MoJeff to school in the 2013 FF also and MoJeff graduated with DPOY award. If you need a more recent example look at KLS improvement in defensive perimeter technique from Freshmen to Sophomore year. This is UCONN WCBB, class is always in session. Willing students will earn advance degrees, unwilling students don't apply or transfer.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
They all have room for improvement but of the returning players Crystal put up the best defensive numbers at the guard position last year. In significantly less minutes (1009:743) Crystal had the same amount of rebounds as Kia 69 each and only 4 less steals 33 to 29.
Until the stats track the number of points scored against an individual player or How many times a player is beaten off the dribble/lose an assignment that leads to another person scoring, those numbers will not tell a complete story, Let's also track how many times a player is benched for not playing defense.. Let's be honest, they are a few weak spots on our team defensively, but if a team were to pick one weakness to exploit, I'll bet Crystal would be that point. :)

Reaction Score
Can't we trade one of the 6 or 7 future all-americans for a Rhodes scholar or something?

Expectations are so high that there are only 2 possible outcomes: expectations are met; expectations are unmet. With only 5 players on the court at a time, 1 basketball, and 40 minutes of playing time, there is no possibility of expectations being exceeded.... But it sure will be fun to try....

Reaction Score
SIGH... !! They are plenty of people who can score and share the ball on this team, Crystals Defense is just not strong enough at this point. This is the area I believe Geno will be going after her the most. I'm just not seeing any huge growth in that area. To me, it seems like Crystal is just content on reacting to the offensive player(s) instead of attacking them and forcing them to do what is uncomfortable. There is no doubt in my mind that she can and will be an offensive force, but I'm not so sure that is what is needed/expected of her right now with a team so loaded with scoring.

No argument--you saw Crystal Dangerfield doing that last season--a new year has arrived. Crystal has had one full Geno year--can't you believe that she has improved in all phases of her game??
No Danger is NOT perfect--but none others are--until she graduates--she will be hearing Geno on her over defense, shooting when open, not shooting when closesly guarded--but it will get to be less.
Every flaw you stated was true of Crystal --last year. If you are right--bad for Uconn--if she has improved--GREAT for uconn.

Reaction Score
Can't we trade one of the 6 or 7 future all-americans for a Rhodes scholar or something?

Expectations are so high that there are only 2 possible outcomes: expectations are met; expectations are unmet. With only 5 players on the court at a time, 1 basketball, and 40 minutes of playing time, there is no possibility of expectations being exceeded.--- But it sure will be fun to try.---

In what ancient tomb did you find that--it has the sage of age. Of all the things you posted this
I consider your funniest. What is funnier: I agree with the highlighted statement.

My first college instructor in Calculus--talked long about calculus Tournaments ; with cheering crowds of students and National Championship--each year in some glorious arena--for a long time I believed him--then said why not--then reality hit me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Expectations are so high that there are only 2 possible outcomes: expectations are met; expectations are unmet. With only 5 players on the court at a time, 1 basketball, and 40 minutes of playing time, there is no possibility of expectations being exceeded.--- But it sure will be fun to try.---
There are few concepts more accurate, and more depressing, than binary logic. UConn will either win a championship :) or they won't :(.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
No team does a better job at switching on defense then uconn. I watched the game yesterday and you are right Dangerfield was not getting around screens on D but that team wasn't switching at all. So everyone thinks that mojo could get better her sophomore year but Dangerfield can't?
Another question, name the last player at uconn that geno changed from a forward to a guard after playing forward their first couple years as a starter?
Actually, in 2015-16 when Stewie and Tuck were on the team, and Gabby played while both of them were on the floor, she did play as a guard/wing, and more specifically as a guard on defense. Go back and look at the season opener against Ohio State that year. On Ohio State's first possession, when OSU had Kelsey Mitchell and Ameryst Alston (I think that was her name) as their guard pair, Kia and Gabby were on the front of Geno's zone guarding them (along with KLS, with Stewie and Tuck on the back line). As I recall, Gabby got a steal on that very first play, and that set the tone.

Gabby is very good at perimeter defense (unlike Crystal), and can get a lot of steals. She didn't do much of that in 2016-17 because she was needed in the paint, but that should not be the case this year if Azura is in the lineup.

Kia is the starting point guard for the Canadian National team, so the position is hardly unfamiliar to her.

On offense, I think the positions will not be that clear-cut, since in a lineup of Z / Napheesa / KLS / Gabby / Kia, all 5 positions are mobile and can score from many points on the floor. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if KLS acts more like 2 guard (by the way, she can handle the ball very well against a press) and Gabby acts more like a wing. But on defense, the opposite will be true.

I don't discount the possibility that if Crystal fixes her defensive issues and becomes amazing (as in the Baylor game) consistently on offense, she could take a lot of Kia's minutes and might eventually start. But I would say that the probability of her starting any time next season (barring injury) is definitely less than 50%, probably in the 30% range.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually, in 2015-16 when Stewie and Tuck were on the team, and Gabby played while both of them were on the floor, she did play as a guard/wing, and more specifically as a guard on defense. Go back and look at the season opener against Ohio State that year. On Ohio State's first possession, when OSU had Kelsey Mitchell and Ameryst Alston (I think that was her name) as their guard pair, Kia and Gabby were on the front of Geno's zone guarding them (along with KLS, with Stewie and Tuck on the back line). As I recall, Gabby got a steal on that very first play, and that set the tone.

Gabby is very good at perimeter defense (unlike Crystal), and can get a lot of steals. She didn't do much of that in 2016-17 because she was needed in the paint, but that should not be the case this year if Azura is in the lineup.

Kia is the starting point guard for the Canadian National team, so the position is hardly unfamiliar to her.

On offense, I think the positions will not be that clear-cut, since in a lineup of Z / Napheesa / KLS / Gabby / Kia, all 5 positions are mobile and can score from many points on the floor. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if KLS acts more like 2 guard (by the way, she can handle the ball very well against a press) and Gabby acts more like a wing. But on defense, the opposite will be true.

I don't discount the possibility that if Crystal fixes her defensive issues and becomes amazing (as in the Baylor game) consistently on offense, she could take a lot of Kia's minutes and might eventually start. But I would say that the probability of her starting any time next season (barring injury) is definitely less than 50%, probably in the 30% range.
JP, agree with everything you state, but you should be aware that you are arguing with a "true believer" in AJB, who is committed to his position that Danger will start and Pheesa will come off the bench. While most Husky fans, myself included, think otherwise, I personally have become enamored with AJB's resolute conviction on this matter. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom