Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who thinks that? I think most feel(as do I) that Nurse will start at the 1, KLS the 2, Williams the 3, Collier the 4, and Stevens the 5.
I like it. Maybe flip Gabby and Napheesa?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Again with kia nurse? There's 2 guards on the team, kia will be one and Dangerfield the other. What is so hard to understand? Gabby, kls, and Collier are NOT guards!!!!!
Hope you're saving your pennys.

Reaction Score
JP, agree with everything you state, but you should be aware that you are arguing with a "true believer" in AJB, who is committed to his position that Danger will start and Pheesa will come off the bench. While most Husky fans, myself included, think otherwise, I personally have become enamored with AJB's resolute conviction on this matter. :cool:
The true test of a person is their RESOLVE in the face of overwhelming odds. Only the strongest personalities have that ability--and often are proven correct.
But I too have YOUR conviction of who will not be a starting bench sitter.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kia is the starting point guard for the Canadian National team, so the position is hardly unfamiliar to her.

Kia's not really a point guard. Even Geno admitted this a few months ago. Doesn't mean the team won't be fine if Dangerfield doesn't start, but Nurse's strength is not ball-handling. She's better suited to the 2-guard or wing positions.

Reaction Score
Until the stats track the number of points scored against an individual player or How many times a player is beaten off the dribble/lose an assignment that leads to another person scoring, those numbers will not tell a complete story, Let's also track how many times a player is benched for not playing defense.. Let's be honest, they are a few weak spots on our team defensively, but if a team were to pick one weakness to exploit, I'll bet Crystal would be that point. :)

To be honest... basketball is a team sport. It takes all players on the floor working together to minimize each other's weaknesses. That's how you win! Not one player on this squad is perfect or without weakness. Let that sink in... I don't understand the need for the negative breakdown of these young ladies. I thought this was a fan forum. There... I said it.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
To be honest... basketball is a team sport. It takes all players on the floor working together to minimize each other's weaknesses. That's how you win! Not one player on this squad is perfect or without weakness. Let that sink in... I don't understand the need for the negative breakdown of these young ladies. I thought this was a fan forum. There... I said it.
:) All of these wonderful young ladies chose UConn, because they wanted to improve their games, not just hear how wonderful they are. My Stating that Crystal's defense is not as strong as the coach typically prefers is not a negative breakdown, Just an honest observation or Constructive Criticism.

As a fan I would love to see her improve in this area, so she can make the most of her gifts and talents and be an even greater asset to the team, which would also keep her on the floor longer, allowing us to be entertained with the excitement and razzle dazzle she brings to the team.

Reaction Score
According to most of you she will not be a starting pg for uconn this year? You seem to think gabby or kls will be the pg, which they never played at uconn since day 1.

Crystal is terrific, but she won't start until she's a junior. Kia and Lou will be at the 1 and 2, though you're correct that neither is a pure point. Gabby and Napheesa with Azura will fill the front-court. No doubt Dangerfield will see a lot of action. She will inject energy and speed into any game she enters. It's not so much a matter of Crystal's sitting as it is a matter of NOT sitting Kia and/or Lou. I'm very interested in where Geno plans to play Megan (at 6'1") and how often we'll see her. Good problems to have. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
David - while it seems we've got our share of doubters, there's no doubt in my mind she'll be on our Wall of Honor before she leaves Storrs! :cool:

You're right Jim, The fact that she is the Captain of the team, and running the point with the complete trust and approval of the coaches should tell the casual observer something. They're a different team when she's not in the game. There are a fair number of doubters here in the yard as well as some that are not satisfied with the progress they think Crystal should have made or shown her first year. I am among those that are more than willing to give ALL freshmen time to grow and mature.
No two recruits are alike. Some "get it", and make that transformation sooner than others. All things in time.

When Danger was on the floor last year, I saw Moriah Jefferson. Not because of the similarity in size or build or position, but the look on her face. Almost like a deer in the headlights look. A look that said whatever I do out here, I can't make a mistake. I can't make the coach(es) mad, or think I can't play. UConn players are under pressure on BOTH ends of the court at ALL TIMES. Let your man blow by you on defense (or be out of position), you get pulled. Be out of position on offense or miss setting a screen the play calls for, you get pulled (or at the very least get yelled at during the next timeout).

Sometimes freshmen can think too much on the floor because they don't really know what they're doing. I remember Gabby saying at the beginning of her sophomore year that she was ready to go. She said "Now I know what I'm doing". She readily admitted that she was not ready to play in the Stanford game. Wow, look how she turned out. She's one the best to ever put on a UConn uniform. Yet she too needed that year to get acclimated to the riggers and demands of wcbb in general, and UConn basketball in particular.

Dangerfield came to the program very highly touted. She won every award and individual designation she was eligible for her senior year in high school. She was "Miss "Everything" when she left. While this news is very pleasing to me, I'm not surprised. Crystal is a very special talent. Talent for the most part we've only seen glimpses of. The best is yet to come.

We already know she's has court vision that can't be taught. Like Magic Johnson did, and Lonzo Ball does. There are posters that think Dangerous will start at the point for Geno this year, I don't. All things in time. This is not her time. Barring injury, she won't start. Azura Stevens will be the 5th starter. Geno did not bring AZ in to be a part time player off the bench. The leadership, skill set, experience and maturity AZ brings with her will best serve the team as a starter. Crystal will get a lot of playing time, maybe as much as any starter, but she won't start. She will start her junior and senior year!!!

The expectations I have for Crystal are as high as anyone, but nothing she does will surprise me. For the most part, she's still in her cocoon. She'll break out as soon as Geno takes the leash off, and tells her once again "win the game for us Crystal ". Because now that she knows what she's suppose to do, she can play fast and loose on instinct, which is when she's at her best. I said it all last year, and I'm saying it now, I'm not worried about Crystal Dangerfield one bit. She'll be just fine. We'll see more of what she showed us during the Baylor game, only we'll see it the entire season. I look forward to seeing her and the rest of her teammates take the floor for that first game in Italy next month. This should be a season to remember.........for lots of reasons.

Carnac

Reaction Score
There are a lot more than 2 guards on the team. There are 3 freshmen, 2 sophs and one senior. I am thrilled that Crystal Dangerfield is playing well against 18-19 year old foreign kids, hopefully she will do as well against bigger, faster and stronger kids in the Kia Nurse mold later in the fall. My bet is that Combs and Walker will also get their minutes.

That's a good bet!! Coombs is a sleeper that many posters (including me) thinks will emerge this season as one of Geno better defensive players. She comes in under the radar because Megan Walker is the #1 player in her class, and getting most of the fanfare and the spotlight. The cream will rise to the top, it always does.

Reaction Score
You're right Jim, The fact that she is the Captain of the team, and running the point with the complete trust and approval of the coaches should tell the casual observer something. They're a different team when she's not in the game. There are a fair number of doubters here in the yard as well as some that are not satisfied with the progress they think Crystal should have made or shown her first year. I am among those that are more than willing to give ALL freshmen time to grow and mature.
No two recruits are alike. Some "get it", and make that transformation sooner than others. All things in time.

When Danger was on the floor last year, I saw Moriah Jefferson. Not because of the similarity in size or build or position, but the look on her face. Almost like a deer in the headlights look. A look that said whatever I do out here, I can't make a mistake. I can't make the coach(es) mad, or think I can't play. UConn players are under pressure on BOTH ends of the court at ALL TIMES. Let your man blow by you on defense (or be out of position), you get pulled. Be out of position on offense or miss setting a screen the play calls for, you get pulled (or at the very least get yelled at during the next timeout).

Sometimes freshmen can think too much on the floor because they don't really know what they're doing. I remember Gabby saying at the beginning of her sophomore year that she was ready to go. She said "Now I know what I'm doing". She readily admitted that she was not ready to play in the Stanford game. Wow, look how she turned out. She's one the best to ever put on a UConn uniform. Yet she too needed that year to get acclimated to the riggers and demands of wcbb in general, and UConn basketball in particular.

Dangerfield came to the program very highly touted. She won every award and individual designation she was eligible for her senior year in high school. She was "Miss "Everything" when she left. While this news is very pleasing to me, I'm not surprised. Crystal is a very special talent. Talent for the most part we've only seen glimpses of. The best is yet to come.

We already know she's has court vision that can't be taught. Like Magic Johnson did, and Lonzo Ball does. There are posters that think Dangerous will start at the point for Geno this year, I don't. All things in time. This is not her time. Barring injury, she won't start. Azura Stevens will be the 5th starter. Geno did not bring AZ in to be a part time player off the bench. The leadership, skill set, experience and maturity AZ brings with her will best serve the team as a starter. Crystal will get a lot of playing time, maybe as much as any starter, but she won't start. She will start her junior and senior year!!!

The expectations I have for Crystal are as high as anyone, but nothing she does will surprise me. For the most part, she's still in her cocoon. She'll break out as soon as Geno takes the leash off, and tells her once again "win the game for us Crystal ". Because now that she knows what she's suppose to do, she can play fast and loose on instinct, which is when she's at her best. I said it all last year, and I'm saying it now, I'm not worried about Crystal Dangerfield one bit. She'll be just fine. We'll see more of what she showed us during the Baylor game, only we'll see it the entire season. I look forward to seeing her and the rest of her teammates take the floor for that first game in Italy next month. This should be a season to remember....for lots of reasons.
Well said, especially, the "she has court vision that can't be taught":D And her "breaking out" - so much to look forward to in the next few years....Hmmm....isn't that what we said a few years back?

Reaction Score
Actually, in 2015-16 when Stewie and Tuck were on the team, and Gabby played while both of them were on the floor, she did play as a guard/wing, and more specifically as a guard on defense. Go back and look at the season opener against Ohio State that year. On Ohio State's first possession, when OSU had Kelsey Mitchell and Ameryst Alston (I think that was her name) as their guard pair, Kia and Gabby were on the front of Geno's zone guarding them (along with KLS, with Stewie and Tuck on the back line). As I recall, Gabby got a steal on that very first play, and that set the tone.

Gabby is very good at perimeter defense (unlike Crystal), and can get a lot of steals. She didn't do much of that in 2016-17 because she was needed in the paint, but that should not be the case this year if Azura is in the lineup.

Kia is the starting point guard for the Canadian National team, so the position is hardly unfamiliar to her.

On offense, I think the positions will not be that clear-cut, since in a lineup of Z / Napheesa / KLS / Gabby / Kia, all 5 positions are mobile and can score from many points on the floor. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if KLS acts more like 2 guard (by the way, she can handle the ball very well against a press) and Gabby acts more like a wing. But on defense, the opposite will be true.

I don't discount the possibility that if Crystal fixes her defensive issues and becomes amazing (as in the Baylor game) consistently on offense, she could take a lot of Kia's minutes and might eventually start. But I would say that the probability of her starting any time next season (barring injury) is definitely less than 50%, probably in the 30% range.

Whether Crystal starts or not---I doubt Geno is going to bed every night--with little (ok littler) crystals running through his brain and using a daisy, pulling each petal saying; Crystal starts-Z starts, Crystal start, kia starts, and on.
I believe that on Geno's agenda--Whether Crystal starts or not is low--it is all about who is used for what and when. Maybe with Starting this year would be huge to Dangers ego--but I'm sure she'd rather have 20 minutes or more per game than start for 5. You bet a used cigar that Danger shall improve in every area this season--including defense--height--not much improvement.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Until the stats track the number of points scored against an individual player or How many times a player is beaten off the dribble/lose an assignment that leads to another person scoring, those numbers will not tell a complete story, Let's also track how many times a player is benched for not playing defense.. Let's be honest, they are a few weak spots on our team defensively, but if a team were to pick one weakness to exploit, I'll bet Crystal would be that point. :)
Well honestly no! Some of us a methodical enough to track such things as how many many times a given player gets beaten off the dribble. How else would I have concluded that Brooke McCarthy took Crystal to school during the Texas game? BTW unless you are Geno it is impossible to tell why a player was benched. In Crystal case it happen once during her entire Freshmen year and it had nothing to do with defense. With 1:52 remaining during the ND game Crystal caught an inbounds pass under the basket and immediately spun into a double team resulting in a tie up. Geno sub Saniya in for Crystal-Yes some of us track those things also.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well honestly no! Some of us a methodical enough to track such things as how many many times a given player gets beaten off the dribble. How else would I have concluded that Brooke McCarthy took Crystal to school during the Texas game? BTW unless you are Geno it is impossible to tell why a player was benched. In Crystal case it happen once during her entire Freshmen year and it had nothing to do with defense. With 1:52 remaining during the ND game Crystal caught an inbounds pass under the basket and immediately spun into a double team resulting in a tie up. Geno sub Saniya in for Crystal-Yes some of us track those things also.

Impressive memory Coco. All this back and forth is reflective of the fact that CD acted like a freshman last year and we did not see her earn the starting PG assignment. But it's a new year and we'll see. I'm pulling for her during the season and like the odds.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In Crystal case it happen once during her entire Freshmen year and it had nothing to do with defense..

I don't recall this Notre Dame situation but she was benched, according to Geno, in the Nebraska game because he wasn't happy with her effort.

Reaction Score
:) All of these wonderful young ladies chose UConn, because they wanted to improve their games, not just hear how wonderful they are. My Stating that Crystal's defense is not as strong as the coach typically prefers is not a negative breakdown, Just an honest observation or Constructive Criticism.

As a fan I would love to see her improve in this area, so she can make the most of her gifts and talents and be an even greater asset to the team, which would also keep her on the floor longer, allowing us to be entertained with the excitement and razzle dazzle she brings to the team.

Personal assessment---there is no such thing as Constructive criticism--criticism is criticism--please consider this constructive in nature observation. If you truly want to present "constructive criticism " to any of the Uconn players--to be effect--it must be done face to face--not on the By--face to face gives them a chance to challenge your view point--
You must have loved the limited Moriah as a Frosh--entertaining me/you/us with her razzle/dazzle--while Diggins ran off with the ball--geno pulled her immediately--not even good defense by Moriah in that game--(I hated everything done to Moriah in that encounter, including Geno pulling her) At that point --I screamed at my TV---GENO GIVE MORIAH A CHANCE TO FAIL.
Make no mistake--while i speak of the stone you cast--I a sinner am not without having cast them at this team. Im pretty sure that could be said for many .
I am pleased you want Danger to be an asset---we all do (ok most do)--
During this coming season--Danger, all the new guys, transfers, and sophs will read criticism--I wouldn't want that for my daughter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't recall this Notre Dame situation but she was benched, according to Geno, in the Nebraska game because he wasn't happy with her effort.
Good thing all the games are online. ND incident was with 1:52 left in the game. I don't know what happened during the Nebraska game or what Geno said. Crystal started played first 6 Minutes of the game and only 2 minutes for the remainder of the game. Even Molly and Kyla got more burn that game than Crystal did.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Good thing all the games are online. ND incident was with 1:52 left in the game.

Eh, that didn't strike me as a benching. Game was all but over and Dangerfield got her self trapped. Geno took her out, expressively said something to her, then gave her a pat on the back as she went by him.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't know what happened during the Nebraska game or what Geno said.

If there was a negative in the game it came when Auriemma opted not to play freshman Crystal Dangerfield in the second half. Chong started the second half while Molly Bent was the first reserve off the bench in the third quarter. In the second half Chong played 18 minutes, Bent was out there for 17 minutes, Butler and Kyla Irwin combined for 28 minutes and Tierney Lawlor was on the court for the final 3:18.

Auriemma said he wants to see Dangerfield play with more of a sense of urgency and see a higher work rate from her.

“I am going to hold her to it and that is all there is to it,” Auriemma said.. Your guess is as good as mine.”

UConn women’s basketball team tops Nebraska, wins 86th straight

Reaction Score
But those stats you mentioned---don't expect me to waste that energy-must be done for all player s by position--other wise--no meaning I'll bet you 13 cents that Geno , if he tracked that stuff, relies on his brain and what he sees===Danger has /had will have defensive weaknesses as does Kia, Gabby, Precious, KLS, Azura, For all except Azura--those flaws are well known.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You must have loved the limited Moriah as a Frosh--entertaining me/you/us with her razzle/dazzle--while Diggins ran off with the ball--geno pulled her immediately--not even good defense by Moriah in that game--(I hated everything done to Moriah in that encounter, including Geno pulling her) At that point --I screamed at my TV---GENO GIVE MORIAH A CHANCE TO FAIL.
Geno did not pull Moriah from that game at that time. Moriah got into the game early in the second half because KML was injured. When Skylar stripped Moriah to cut the lead to 7 Geno call a time out. After that timeout all five player that were on the court (including Moriah) returned to the court immediately after the timeout. In fact Skylar posted up Moriah on the very next ND play and Geno still kept Moriah in the game.

The sequence begins here with the strip the return to the floor and the Diggins post up of Moriah.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If there was a negative in the game it came when Auriemma opted not to play freshman Crystal Dangerfield in the second half. Chong started the second half while Molly Bent was the first reserve off the bench in the third quarter. In the second half Chong played 18 minutes, Bent was out there for 17 minutes, Butler and Kyla Irwin combined for 28 minutes and Tierney Lawlor was on the court for the final 3:18.

Auriemma said he wants to see Dangerfield play with more of a sense of urgency and see a higher work rate from her.

“I am going to hold her to it and that is all there is to it,” Auriemma said.. Your guess is as good as mine.”

UConn women’s basketball team tops Nebraska, wins 86th straight

Whether it was a benching or not, Danger definitely spent some time in Geno's "Casa de' Bow wow". She probably got Kia Stokes' old room. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom