Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
According to most of you she will not be a starting pg for uconn this year? You seem to think gabby or kls will be the pg, which they never played at uconn since day 1.

More like Kia Nurse handling the rock at PG unless her shot fails her. I was hoping for more out of Dangerfield's USA play. This team, actually any UCONN team, is all about team passing and rapid ball and player movement. Nurse is the better defensive player until Dangerfield shows otherwise. Dangerfield is the better passer but she loves to dribble, dribble, dribble and more dribble which destroys UCONN's ball and player movement. I'll wait for the jury to come in.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Again with kia nurse? There's 2 guards on the team, kia will be one and Dangerfield the other. What is so hard to understand? Gabby, kls, and Collier are NOT guards!!!!!

From UCONN roster
33 Katie Lou Samuelson 6-3 Guard/Forward SO/SO Huntington Beach, Calif.
23 Azurá Stevens 6-6 Forward/Guard JR/JR Raleigh, N.C.

So I guess Stevens will play the point. :D

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Can't we trade one of the 6 or 7 future all-americans for a Rhodes scholar or something?

Expectations are so high that there are only 2 possible outcomes: expectations are met; expectations are unmet. With only 5 players on the court at a time, 1 basketball, and 40 minutes of playing time, there is no possibility of expectations being exceeded.... But it sure will be fun to try....

"Expectations are so high that there are only 2 possible outcomes"
I don't believe this. So I don't believe what follows. Seems I said this to a prof in a philosophy class. :oops:

Reaction Score
Crystal is not the worst defensive player on the team. That said, I will not argue that she is not the worst of the first 6 players on the floor. I've seen her man go right by her on more than one occasion (but not all the time) last year. I gave her a pass last year because she was a freshman. Learning how to play good defense (playing the passing lanes and keeping your arms up) and learning how to keep your man in front of you, is part of making that "sophomore leap" that all freshmen are expected to make. We all know that NOTHING frustrates Geno more than seeing one of his players get beat off the dribble. Saniya Chong's inability to keep her man in front of her played a large part (the other being her I-band injury) of her logging so much pine duty her first three years.

I've also seen Lou get beat several times as did Napheesa, because of being out of position, and not having their feet in the correct position to guard their man. IMO, the two best defensive players for Geno is Kia and Gabby (with Kia being the best). They have the ability (and determination) to keep their man in front of them. Geno once said "when Gabby is guarding you, you're guarded". Any basketball purist knows that you play defense with your feet, not your hands. The good defensive players keep their feet moving while in a defensive stance (instead of standing flat-footed). Sometimes we learn best (and more quickly) from our peers than our instructors (coaches).

I would like to see Dangerfield become tutored by peers Gabby and Kia, during the remainder of the summer, and before or after practice once the season starts. One on one instruction on how to move your feet, how to anticipate a player's movement, and how to take something away from your man. Learn how to be "proactive" instead of reactive. Shoot it, pass it, or drive to the basket. Those are a player's options on offense.

A good defensive player will take one or more of those options away from you. Moriah Jefferson was great at this, so was Stewie. This was a skill they both learned AFTER they arrived at UConn, not before. Dangerfield at some point will learn it too. She'll have to .....if she wants to play. KML was not a defensive stalwart, but Geno could not afford to take her out of the lineup for long periods of time. That's where Kiah Stokes came in as a counter measure. One was great on offense, the other was great on defense. Geno became masterful at inserting them into the lineup at any given time.

Whether you make them pass it, go in the direction YOU want them to go in, or take a shot that's not the best shot they could take (or they're comfortable with, i.e., a bad shot). The best thing (as far as you're concerned) is for your man to pass the ball to another player. If you can do that, then, you've done your job. You kept your man from scoring.

You ALWAYS try and help your teammates if and when you can, because EVERYONE gets beat once in a while. If you can hold YOUR man scoreless for all or most of the game, that frustrates them, and puts more pressure to score on their teammates. Remember 3 years ago when Ohio State's (and the nation's) leading scorer Kelsey Mitchell was held to just 8 points when they played UConn? Great defense held her to those 8 points. That was one of the reasons UConn won that game by such a large margin, because no one else stepped up. The twin towers at South Carolina were both always held to well under their season average when they played UConn because of good tight defense played by Stewie and Tuck.

The last time UConn played Notre Dame for the NC, Brianna Turner (their leading scorer) was held scoreless in the first half by Stewie and Tuck. Crystal is quick enough to be a lock-down defender. She just has to learn and master the "technique"....like Jefferson did. I'm betting she will. :cool:
In "THE GREAT LOSS", no one could keep their man in front of them. That left poor Collier all alone on a defensive island under the basket with the big girl and the one that got away. Mostly, all she could do was foul. When I say "no one", I also mean Gabby and Kia also let there guy beat them. Collier can't do it all.

Reaction Score
One problem with the proposed starting line up is that it is really slow. Saniya was the fastest player, and now we plug in her place the team's slowest player. The rest of last year's starters aren't all that fast either. Quick penetrating guards are going to be a problem. Crystal Dangerfield needs to become Mo, at least on defense, in the next 3 1/2 months.
From this distance, it would appear you are on to something.
Now that you identified the problem--I am now giving you Geno's job--fix it!!

Before you fix it---Danger shall NEVER be Moriah--NEVER!! Forget that comparision. Moriah was quick, fast, and did things with the BB that amazed. On defense she could and did leap and block taller players-shocking most of those defended. If you think Danger will become Moriah on D--won't happen.
So without the Moriah to do your defense--to speed up your starting 5--who do you put in your Starting line up--Proven talent--I'll give you 2 positions with guesses from the 7 people most consider bench and the 5 starters plus 1.

Reaction Score
"Expectations are so high that there are only 2 possible outcomes"
I don't believe this. So I don't believe what follows. Seems I said this to a prof in a philosophy class. :oops:
Possible outcomes--you win -you lose OR you start or you don't OR you get to play or you sit

Expectations--is the subject of the 2 outcomes--expectations are met OR they are not--there is no third option for Expectations.
Bags27 class in logic begins in Sept---sign up the ride is fun.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In "THE GREAT LOSS", no one could keep their man in front of them. That left poor Collier all alone on a defensive island under the basket with the big girl and the one that got away. Mostly, all she could do was foul. When I say "no one", I also mean Gabby and Kia also let there guy beat them. Collier can't do it all.

You'll get no argument from me . 6'7" McCowan was just too big for any UConn player to effectively guard. When you give away 5-6 inches and 30-40 pounds to your man, you're at a gross disadvantage. All you can do is foul her/him. Collier and Gabby did the best they could.

Even Butler really couldn't do anything with her. It just was not Uconn's day. UConn played small ball all season, and almost got away with it. If I still had my turban, I'd tip it to Napheesa and Gabulous for their play during the season, often guarding players much taller than them.

This year, we've got our own tower in 6'6" Azura Stevens who is mature, skilled and has a no nonsense approach. She and the rest of her teammates are hungry to play. May the basketball Gods smile on the UConn women this season. No days off!!!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Possible outcomes--you win -you lose OR you start or you don't OR you get to play or you sit

Expectations--is the subject of the 2 outcomes--expectations are met OR they are not--there is no third option for Expectations.
Bags27 class in logic begins in Sept---sign up the ride is fun.

You flunk.

Reaction Score
You'll get no argument from me . 6'7" McCowan was just too big for any UConn player to effectively guard. When you give away 5-6 inches and 30-40 pounds to your man, you're at a gross disadvantage. All you can do is foul her/him. Collier and Gabby did the best they could.

Even Butler really couldn't do anything with her. It just was not Uconn's day. UConn played small ball all season, and almost got away with it. If I still had my turban, I'd tip it to Napheesa and Gabulous for their play during the season, often guarding players much taller than them.

This year, we've got our own tower in 6'6" Azura Stevens who is mature, skilled and has a no nonsense approach. She and the rest of her teammates are hungry to play. May the basketball Gods smile on the UConn women this season. No days off!!!

While I agree that Stevens will be the 5th starter this year, it was UConn's poor play on the offensive end and not the defensive that cost them a W against MSU. McCowan played well but was far from dominating with 10pts and 8rbs. It was UConn's poor foul shooting, turnovers, and failure to get to 50/50 balls that allowed MSU to attempt 67 field goals compared to a mere 46 for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
While I agree that Stevens will be the 5th starter this year, it was UConn's poor play on the offensive end and not the defensive that cost them a W against MSU. McCowan played well but was far from dominating with 10pts and 8rbs. It was UConn's poor foul shooting, turnovers, and failure to get to 50/50 balls that allowed MSU to attempt 67 field goals compared to a mere 46 for the Huskies.
While every argument of the cause of the loss to Miss St has some validity each point you state MAY have been a factor--they are suppositions, your beliefs (which can never wrong because it's what YOU believe).
Butler in the final game at 6-5 was less effective than 6'1 Precious and in my opinion was a liability because she wasn't good with Bigs or Smalls. At times her emotions took charge and she had no idea of what to do next--that happened all season--so why did Geno use her, he knew all this--who else could he use--rarely used Molly or Kyla? --Neither was allowed much bigtime game experience--and this was crunch time. Geno was --like a twisted fastner--his depth was non existent and his prime time players had fouls and were dogged tired--why did they miss fouls they normally made?? Emotions---got to make this--and exhaustion was setting in. I could speak of the lack of getting more shots for kLS --or the need to defend further up court--but that would be whistling in the wind--To me Uconn lost this game on ONE thing only--DEPTH, short bench, no one to count on past 6th player--it will be interesting to see if Geno does not fully develop beyond the 7th person this year. 8 players are easier to work with and with loads of game time--give the coach people he can count on in the Big dance. But 8 with10 available players --means all 8 must be healthy and productive when needed ,with Mss St--they weren't.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
DEFENSE wins championships, and UConn has won a number of championships when their offense was less than effective. In 2010 UConn's offense was terrible in the 1st half and only slightly better in the 2nd half, but they beat Stanford 53-47 on the strength of a fantastic effort on defense.

I get that UConn played less then their best on offense vs MS St, but if the Huskies had the size and depth to play UCONN defense, the 60 pts they scored in regulation would have been more than enough.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I get that UConn played less then their best on offense vs MS St, but if the Huskies had the size and depth to play UCONN defense, the 60 pts they scored in regulation would have been more than enough.

Mississippi State shot 37% in that game. UConn got beat badly on second chance points, created almost no turnovers, and let the Bullsdogs control the pace and style of game.

Reaction Score
There may be a bunch of sane reasons why UCONN lost in the Semi's to MissSt. But just possibly the reason they lost was they had given so much both physically & mentally all season that it took it's toll in that game!
UCONN just had nothing else to give!
As shocking and as simple as that sounds, all the players on the roster gave 150% for 36 games and in game 37 they were just worn out from going to the well to often! MissSt. just played at a higher level because they came in on a high and UCONN came in on a low!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mississippi State shot 37% in that game. UConn got beat badly on second chance points, created almost no turnovers, and let the Bullsdogs control the pace and style of game.
I agree. Other than the 37% shooting, it was certainly not UCONN DEFENSE. I expect that throughout this season Geno is going to be an absolute pain in the ass about playing tough, smothering defense all over the floor.

Reaction Score
I agree. Other than the 37% shooting, it was certainly not UCONN DEFENSE. I expect that throughout this season Geno is going to be an absolute pain in the ass about playing tough, smothering defense all over the floor.

Uconn kids, and certainly this is a superior group of Uconn kids, don't just give up and say "I'm not playing Uconn D". So--OLDUDE--what was the reason for this "apparent" let down in Defense??

I'm a broken record on my tune of Depth. I can twist that and paint it 8 different colors and it comes
out --the same. What I cannot deny is Schaefer had a good game plan well executed and played 9 of 10 players for more than a few minutes. Shaefer had the DEPTH of personnel , apparently with experience in many games, that gave him good minutes.

Reaction Score
This discussions importance is in it's distraction from the lack of definitive information on the Uconn WBB team.

I promised myself not to post till the season started, just cuz I'm not much of a fan of the endless speculations (which started well before last season ended) and I was afraid I'd show what a cranky old SOB I can be in a reply. Oops. Back to my self-imposed ban from typing - will only just read for whatever actual news shows up!

Reaction Score
There may be a bunch of sane reasons why UCONN lost in the Semi's to MissSt. But just possibly the reason they lost was they had given so much both physically & mentally all season that it took it's toll in that game!
UCONN just had nothing else to give!
As shocking and as simple as that sounds, all the players on the roster gave 150% for 36 games and in game 37 they were just worn out from going to the well to often! MissSt. just played at a higher level because they came in on a high and UCONN came in on a low!
In other words they did NOT exhibit the heart of a champion. When that happens you shake things up. I look look forward to see the shaken up Huskies!

Reaction Score
I promised myself not to post till the season started, just cuz I'm not much of a fan of the endless speculations (which started well before last season ended) and I was afraid I'd show what a cranky old SOB I can be in a reply. Oops. Back to my self-imposed ban from typing - will only just read for whatever actual news shows up!

You don't know Cranky (to miss quote a famous movie line) you can't handle CRANKY.
Being an SOB has held only a few back from posting---post away!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Hey augustaTC, don't be selfish. A lot of us are cranky SOB's too (some more than others). We welcome comments and opinions from everyone, especially cranky old SOB's. We get some of our best posts from old cranks.
So feel right at home. If you read something that hits a nerve, let us know about it, we need the fodder. It is hoped you would give us a pass on the endless speculations. During the slow summer months, there's not much else to comment about. We go through this EVERY summer. Unless we get a new commit or lose a player to transfer (Natalie Butler), and there's little to no news is coming out of the basketball office, we're reduced to playing a lot of solitaire. :)

Reaction Score
In other words they did NOT exhibit the heart of a champion. When that happens you shake things up. I look look forward to see the shaken up Huskies!

j66kicker- - -I don't think it had anything to do about NOT exhibiting the heart of a champion! I think this team over-achieved all season and when they reached back for that extra push they've had all season the tanks were empty! If they didn't exhibit the heart of a champion how did they make it so competitive into overtime on a last second shot! With no heart they would have allowed MissSt. to blow them out earlier!

Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky said:

Oldude

If this " let the Bulldogs control the pace and style of the game"
--is true, and I tend to agree with that--WHOSE JOB IS TO SEE THAT AND FIX IT.

I'll start of with the Point guard--but this PG didn't have REAL 4 year PG experience-so if the PG doesn't --who then is responsible for making "in-game" dynamic changes to counter what the opponent is doing??? I 'm heading towards heresy!!
To answer my own question: GENO is the person to fix that which is broken. Geno is the MASTER--Geno is the new John Wooden---
No joke he IS.
When you have fewer pegs--and more and more holes are happening--not even a Master can create on the spot pegs and make the corrections needed.
Having said that: This terrible loss --with exhausted Napheesa, Gabby, Kia and in foul trouble, can't foul, can't then play tough defense--was an example of 5 of the best kids in the world excelling beyond that which any other team could do under the same circumstances--Gabby, Napheesa, Kia, Sanyia knew they had no one on the bench to save them--hung out there all alone.
They performed MASTERFULLY!
Instead of chewing over ''WHAT HAPPENED" --we should be shouting how much these kids exceeded expectation, played to the wire with walking wounded, exhausted against a bench double their size--

Reaction Score
YES!!!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, I along with everyone else thought last years UConn team was primed to have a few losses... And with the starting of the season's close game at Florida State, it appeared as though that was a realistic expectation. However, after surviving the first couple of early test and the way they out played Baylor, a unanimous pre-season favorite... The newly altered expectation was once again that they would/could go undefeated and win their 5th NCAA tournament in a row...

So when we say "they exceeded expectations", is that really a true statement? For me personally, in the end, we fell short of expectations... And that is why I shared in the frustration and disappointment expressed by Gabby after that very tough loss, to a very winable game, Considering we did not even play our very best... Last year's team was a very special team, unfortunately, the ultimate trophy was not to be ours. Let's fix that this year, and once again live up to expectations.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, I along with everyone else thought last years UConn team was primed to have a few losses... And with the starting of the season's close game at Florida State, it appeared as though that was a realistic expectation. However, after surviving the first couple of early test and the way they out played Baylor, a unanimous pre-season favorite... The newly altered expectation was once again that they would/could go undefeated and win their 5th NCAA tournament in a row...

So when we say "they exceeded expectations", is that really a true statement? For me personally, in the end, we fell short of expectations... And that is why I shared in the frustration and disappointment expressed by Gabby after that very tough loss, to a very winable game, Considering we did not even play our very best... Last year's team was a very special team, unfortunately, the ultimate trophy was not to be ours. Let's fix that this year, and once again live up to expectations.
Absolutely a true statement. Even after beating Baylor @Uconn the team also had remaining games @ND , @MD and the overwhelming expectation was that UCONN would lose one or both of those games. This team exceeded expectations individually (3 AA and DPOY) and collectively-had an undefeated regular season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom