Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Great news on Crystal in Italy..!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When she left Duke I was of the same opinion that she would automatically be a starter. Since Azura left Duke 3 UCONN WCBB players have played themselves into AA and national POY candidates two of them playing the same position as Azura. Still likely that Azura starts but for her to start in the front court would mean she's displacing a returning UCONN AA. Which one?
I wouldn't get hung up about who plays what position on this team. Geno will start his 5 best players. IMO that's the returning 4 starters + Z.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
When she left Duke I was of the same opinion that she would automatically be a starter. Since Azura left Duke 3 UCONN WCBB players have played themselves into AA and national POY candidates two of them playing the same position as Azura. Still likely that Azura starts but for her to start in the front court would mean she's displacing a returning UCONN AA. Which one?
That (your last sentence) is a non sequitur. (Latin term used in legal and academic circles: means "does not follow".) Azura, Napheesa, Gabby, and KLS can all start -- there is no need for any of them to come off the bench. That would leave the last open position as a guard position which would be filled by either Kia or Crystal in the starting lineup (you would think they are the only logical possibilities). In practice, regardless of who starts (and I think it will be Kia), they will both get plenty of minutes.

That does mean that either Gabby and KLS (or both) would have to function as a hybrid guard/wing. They are both quite capable of doing that. As I said previously in this thread, I think that in general, KLS will function as a 2-guard on offense and Gabby will function as a perimeter defender on defense. That is perfectly feasible for both of them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That (your last sentence) is a non sequitur. (Latin term used in legal and academic circles: means "does not follow".) Azura, Napheesa, Gabby, and KLS can all start -- there is no need for any of them to come off the bench. That would leave the last open position as a guard position which would be filled by either Kia or Crystal in the starting lineup (you would think they are the only logical possibilities). In practice, regardless of who starts (and I think it will be Kia), they will both get plenty of minutes.

That does mean that either Gabby and KLS (or both) would have to function as a hybrid guard/wing. They are both quite capable of doing that. As I said previously in this thread, I think that in general, KLS will function as a 2-guard on offense and Gabby will function as a perimeter defender on defense. That is perfectly feasible for both of them.

I only took 2 semester of Latin in HS and I was obviously clumsy with my main point. Let me start over because I agree with everything you said: IMO Gabby, Napheesa, and KLS have earned the right to start above Azura if it came down to choosing three starters from among those 4 players. It obviously does not come down to that =non sequitur=your main point=me agreeing with you.

Reaction Score
I only took 2 semester of Latin in HS and I was obviously clumsy with my main point. Let me start over because I agree with everything you said: IMO Gabby, Napheesa, and KLS have earned the right to start above Azura if it came down to choosing three starters from among those 4 players. It obviously does not come down to that =non sequitur=your main point=me agreeing with you.
Many of my current posts agree with you EXPERTS, JoeP, Oldude, Cocohusky, DavidinNaples, etal

The 4 returning starters from last year--would seem to have priority as starters--Azura, I would think may shout FOUL if she does not start. But you all are right in my assessment---no need for anyone to feel left out in PT and in some cases Starting time--
Every kid on this team is SMART--and knows BB--they can do the math and know their teammates, practice habits, abilities, where they are good where they arent'===
So something has to bend and chemistry must be maintained.
Depending on the difficulty, size, speed of the opponent Geno can mix and match--even while starting the five all believe will start shall start..
No issue--except for Christine keeping records of minutes played.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wouldn't get hung up about who plays what position on this team. Geno will start his 5 best players. IMO that's the returning 4 starters + Z.

upload_2017-7-26_18-16-53.jpeg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Many of my current posts agree with you EXPERTS, JoeP, Oldude, Cocohusky, DavidinNaples, etal

The 4 returning starters from last year--would seem to have priority as starters--Azura, I would think may shout FOUL if she does not start. But you all are right in my assessment---no need for anyone to feel left out in PT and in some cases Starting time--
Every kid on this team is SMART--and knows BB--they can do the math and know their teammates, practice habits, abilities, where they are good where they arent'===
So something has to bend and chemistry must be maintained.
Depending on the difficulty, size, speed of the opponent Geno can mix and match--even while starting the five all believe will start shall start..
No issue--except for Christine keeping records of minutes played.

Every once in a while you make sense. ;) Your syntax needs work and your cadence can be annoying, but, still, if a person can parse it, sometimes it makes sense.... Don't let it go to your head though Broadway.

Reaction Score
SIGH... !! They are plenty of people who can score and share the ball on this team, Crystals Defense is just not strong enough at this point. This is the area I believe Geno will be going after her the most. I'm just not seeing any huge growth in that area. To me, it seems like Crystal is just content on reacting to the offensive player(s) instead of attacking them and forcing them to do what is uncomfortable. There is no doubt in my mind that she can and will be an offensive force, but I'm not so sure that is what is needed/expected of her right now with a team so loaded with scoring.
While more positive in my thoughts, defense will be the main factor in minutes this coming year. Team was loaded last year but could not stop quick point guards from driving the middle. Geno has a LONG memory.

Reaction Score

CocoHusky- - -Azura would be replacing Saniya and the lineup would change positions, (even tho Geno really doesn't stick to real positions the're just titles) without benching an AA. The line up for the beginning of 2017-2018 IMHO would be:

Kia Nurse PG
KLS SG AA
Gabby Williams SF AA
Naphessa Collins PF AA
Azura Stevens PF/C

1st G off the bench will be: Crystal Dangerfield
1st Big off the bench will be: Batouly Camara

It might change later on during the season but this is the only lineup that makes sense, again IMHO!

Reaction Score
I don't know what the big deal is about who starts, particularly at the beginning of the season. Geno will play whatever mix of players he thinks it will take to win, in whatever role he thinks will work and I doubt he gives a rodent's hindquarters who is an AA, who starred at another school, who is supposed to be the second coming of Sue Bird, etc., etc. He might have some decent depth this year, which would be nice for a change, but who knows how kids will develop and mesh. And he's always used the bench pretty effectively to "motivate" players when they needed it. I would guess that there will be plenty of line-up changes during the first half of the season as he figures how to make the best of the talent he has. Frankly I could care less about who starts, or even who plays - Geno's mentality (and I'm sure I could be wrong) seems to be that ALL his players have to earn their playing time based on how they practice EVERY day, not what they did a year ago, could do, might do or want to do. Looking forward to seeing what he comes up with by the time the real season begins after Christmas.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know what the big deal is about who starts, particularly at the beginning of the season.
This is a very big deal, how else would we get through the summer. Forget the start of the season I can't wait to see who start when the team the team goes Italy next month. People actually have money riding on this, can you please take it a little more seriously. :eek:

Reaction Score
So far i watched part of the game. Crystal looked out of control and took some bad shots. I fully expected her to look better than she did. I will watch the rest when I have time. I was impressed with the girl from Princeton (Alarie) . Wishing had she had gone to Uconn. Good hands. I believe she's listed as a guard/forward on their team roster. With more strength and better jump shot mechanics she'll be a WNBA player. If she wants to. ...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What I said is that Gabby (not KLS) will be the guard opposite to Kia, but that only really applies to the defensive end. On offense, the positions will not be straitjacketed so that everyone can use their skills. You may see KLS functioning (more or less) as a shooting guard on offense, and Gabby functioning (more or less) as a wing who does not take many 3's but does take midrange shots and can drive on any defenders who are not lightning-fast. She (far more than KLS) will be a force on the offensive boards.

But when the other team has the ball, Gabby and Kia will be the primary perimeter defenders.

YES - YES - YES!!!!!!!! People are starting to get it!

Throw away the concept of positions 1 - 5. Geno has said as much. We have players that can play more than one position. In some cases they are interchangeable. Gabby will be the primary force on offense at the high post. Her passing down low to Pheesa and Z will be devastating. Kia and Lou will patrol the perimeter with their 3 point shooting. And that is for openers.

Now let's add all the other options:
Lou on the curl for that foul line jumper that is so devastating. And she drive the lane to the basket.
Pheesa can hit the mid-range jumper as well as some 3's. We all know what she can do in the low blocks.
Z has a full arsenal of weapons - the 3, the drive, the mid-range and she can battle down low.
Gabby will be Gabby - pass, shoot the foul line jumper or drive the lane.
Kia sets it up but we know given a lane, she goes to the hoop with force.

If you are an opposing coach, how do you defend this? Who have you got defensively to match up? You may be able to contain a couple of our ladies, but there are three others who can do serious damage! Remember, all UConn players are very good passers.

Crystal Dangerfield comes off the bench and hits the turbo button. Game - set - match.

Reaction Score
Every once in a while you make sense. ;) Your syntax needs work and your cadence can be annoying, but, still, if a person can parse it, sometimes it makes sense.... Don't let it go to your head though Broadway.
sss
Hup 2,3,4--Hup 2,3,4--Hup 2,3,4 Hup
I'm working on my cadence!
High praise from the Western Hills---
And a from a English Professor, I would assume!!
When formal composition is required on the By, few shall remain.

Reaction Score
This is a very big deal, how else would we get through the summer. Forget the start of the season I can't wait to see who start when the team the team goes Italy next month. People actually have money riding on this, can you please take it a little more seriously. :eek:

How can you say this is a big deal?? It is a VERY BIG deal! It must be determined MY STARTING LINE is the ONLY LINE up possible.

Reaction Score
YES - YES - YES!!!!!!!! People are starting to get it!

Throw away the concept of positions 1 - 5. Geno has said as much. We have players that can play more than one position. In some cases they are interchangeable. Gabby will be the primary force on offense at the high post. Her passing down low to Pheesa and Z will be devastating. Kia and Lou will patrol the perimeter with their 3 point shooting. And that is for openers.

Now let's add all the other options:
Lou on the curl for that foul line jumper that is so devastating. And she drive the lane to the basket.
Pheesa can hit the mid-range jumper as well as some 3's. We all know what she can do in the low blocks.
Z has a full arsenal of weapons - the 3, the drive, the mid-range and she can battle down low.
Gabby will be Gabby - pass, shoot the foul line jumper or drive the lane.
Kia sets it up but we know given a lane, she goes to the hoop with force.

If you are an opposing coach, how do you defend this? Who have you got defensively to match up? You may be able to contain a couple of our ladies, but there are three others who can do serious damage! Remember, all UConn players are very good passers.

Crystal Dangerfield comes off the bench and hits the turbo button. Game - set - match.

I believe Geno has said he coaches Basketball players, not women or men. To follow that up; Geno has stated he expects his players to see the floor both on offense and defense and take that which the opponents will give, i.e. take advantage of the errors they make.
I agree with your evaluation of the core four and Z but I with Kia's driving to hoop with force, well, at times she's a bull in a china shop.

Reaction Score
It is true that things have changed and, I doubt that she was told 'you will be a starter here regardless of the situation. That is the true fate of a transfer. I think she is up there with our best players. And I doubt that the Uconn staff will be willing to give Duke the last laugh, so much is at stake, including her development.
I have also watched a couple of the Fifa's U18 games. Whilst it's true that Crystal has taken on a leadership role and things go smoothly (or more so) when she is on the floor, I have not seen any new development in her defensive abilities. Indeed, on a few occasions she had trouble keeping the guarded player in front of her. That part of her game will have to improve if she wants a starting spot and, she may have competition. On another player- the recruit C. Williams. She seems very good at just about everything (and confidence); but, she shoots a lot.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the big deal is about who starts, particularly at the beginning of the season. Geno will play whatever mix of players he thinks it will take to win, in whatever role he thinks will work and I doubt he gives a rodent's hindquarters who is an AA, who starred at another school, who is supposed to be the second coming of Sue Bird, etc., etc. He might have some decent depth this year, which would be nice for a change, but who knows how kids will develop and mesh. And he's always used the bench pretty effectively to "motivate" players when they needed it. I would guess that there will be plenty of line-up changes during the first half of the season as he figures how to make the best of the talent he has. Frankly I could care less about who starts, or even who plays - Geno's mentality (and I'm sure I could be wrong) seems to be that ALL his players have to earn their playing time based on how they practice EVERY day, not what they did a year ago, could do, might do or want to do. Looking forward to seeing what he comes up with by the time the real season begins after Christmas.

You get--got it--good. Generally, Geno requires players to participate in practice with vigor. But not always. I know that comment will draw loads of those tell me that is wrong. So I'll hold my example(s) for the next comment coming.
But I agree that Geno uses positionless players, when he can. No one can say where and how KLS, Napheesa, Gabby Azura will be used by Geno with certainty. The educated guesses have been posted above and I agree with most. Certainly Geno will mix and match based on the team he is playing.
This discussions importance is in it's distraction from the lack of definitive information on the Uconn WBB team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What does Stewie have to do with KLS? They play two different positions and their games are not similar in the least. Stewart is a stretch 4 that did a lot of her work in the post but still had the ability to step out and knock down a 3pt jump shot. KLS is 2/3 that spends 90% of her time on the perimeter and getting run off screens. That is a completely absurd correlation.
Very well said.

Reaction Score
It is true that things have changed and, I doubt that she was told 'you will be a starter here regardless of the situation. That is the true fate of a transfer. I think she is up there with our best players. And I doubt that the Uconn staff will be willing to give Duke the last laugh, so much is at stake, including her development.
I have also watched a couple of the Fifa's U18 games. Whilst it's true that Crystal has taken on a leadership role and things go smoothly (or more so) when she is on the floor, I have not seen any new development in her defensive abilities. Indeed, on a few occasions she had trouble keeping the guarded player in front of her. That part of her game will have to improve if she wants a starting spot and, she may have competition. On another player- the recruit C. Williams. She seems very good at just about everything (and confidence); but, she shoots a lot.

Geno took a hobbled Duke Center who apparently Duke Medical could not or would not help. She was repaired by Uconn Medical Center, paid for by Uconn, and rehabed. She never fully recovered. Geno allowed her to practice when, how long when she was able. For more than 2 years Brittany Hunter gave Geno/Uconn every bit of talent and energy within her. The glimpse of greatness showed through. The point of this statement is to show the REAL Geno and what a Duke Transfer was willing to give back to him. To me this honors both. I have expectations that Azura shall see what Geno has done for her future career and her current Basketball abilities.

Reaction Score
While more positive in my thoughts, defense will be the main factor in minutes this coming year. Team was loaded last year but could not stop quick point guards from driving the middle. Geno has a LONG memory.

Hop jim--I see things a bit differently.
1. Defense of the dribble drive has been a factor for much of the last 10 years
2.Teams with longer bench and good guards have created problems for Uconn
3.In practice and in games Defense lapses tend to create splinter illness
4.Geno's memory is long in some areas, short in others--as it suits HIM.
5.Geno as any Coach, will manipulate emotions ,playing time or anything to motivate\
6.The weakness of some of the Geno's more recent teams has been his created short bench.

Luckily Uconn has had the talent and mobile players to mask some defense/short bench--but we have seen times where another foul or 2 may have ended in a loss.
Also, we have seen teams--USC, Md, LV, Duke, ND--use freshmen early and often. I refuse to believe those teams get better more ready players than Uconn.

Reaction Score
One problem with the proposed starting line up is that it is really slow. Saniya was the fastest player, and now we plug in her place the team's slowest player. The rest of last year's starters aren't all that fast either. Quick penetrating guards are going to be a problem. Crystal Dangerfield needs to become Mo, at least on defense, in the next 3 1/2 months.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
CocoHusky- - -Azura would be replacing Saniya and the lineup would change positions, (even tho Geno really doesn't stick to real positions the're just titles) without benching an AA. The line up for the beginning of 2017-2018 IMHO would be:

Kia Nurse PG
KLS SG AA
Gabby Williams SF AA
Naphessa Collins PF AA
Azura Stevens PF/C

1st G off the bench will be: Crystal Dangerfield
1st Big off the bench will be: Batouly Camara

It might change later on during the season but this is the only lineup that makes sense, again IMHO!
I'm just an old turf writer out of his lane but I think your assessment is correct.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One problem with the proposed starting line up is that it is really slow. Saniya was the fastest player, and now we plug in her place the team's slowest player. The rest of last year's starters aren't all that fast either. Quick penetrating guards are going to be a problem. Crystal Dangerfield needs to become Mo, at least on defense, in the next 3 1/2 months.
I'm sorry but Gabby was a NV state champion in the high hurdles and Kia, Lou, Pheesa and I suspect Z also run the court like no other team in WBB.

It's not about who might win a 100 yd dash. It's about who's in the best shape and will still be sprinting up and down the court in the 4th quarter when the other team's tongues are hanging out.

Reaction Score

As far as Syntax---others have larger syntax---I have always ---believed--that if Sin was actually
Taxed--it would gloat the treasury and then you'd see some very fancy toilet seats.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but Gabby was a NV state champion in the high hurdles and Kia, Lou, Pheesa and I suspect Z also run the court like no other team in WBB.

It's not about who might win a 100 yd dash. It's about who's in the best shape and will still be sprinting up and down the court in the 4th quarter when the other team's tongues are hanging out.

This har country mouse wishes he had writ that--EXCELLENT---
It AIN"t about much more than talent and physical training--geno style.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom