First official practice | Page 5 | The Boneyard

First official practice

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kwintin on offense looks awesome ... but defense gets you minutes in Ollie's system. Curious as to how his athleticism will translate on D and whether he'll pick up the opposing team's 3 or 4
I'm not sure how some of the posters don't understand this.

Freshman Kentan led the team in offensive rebounding and put backs. He struggled with half court sets and defense and ended up on the bench.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to see some parallels between Kwintin and Shonn Miller, simply from the standpoint of what their physical profile looks like. Both are about 6'7, 215 pounds. Miller's wingspan was listed at 7'1 - couldn't find one listed for Willims but I imagine it is about the same. Both guys can sky (Shonn maybe wasn't Kwintin but he got up there with an ease I haven't seen from many UConn players...it was a sort of graceful athleticm where he would appear to hang in the air a second longer than everyone else).

Miller was extremely skilled and had a tremendous basketball IQ on the offensive end. How many times did he fake a defender out of their jock to get an easy layup or draw a foul?

That's what separated Miller, not his physique.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Miller was extremely skilled and had a tremendous basketball IQ on the offensive end. How many times did he fake a defender out of their jock to get an easy layup or draw a foul?

Agree with most of this. Felt his passing skills were sub adequate.

Reaction Score

If kwintin develops half of shonns bbiq, he will be an all conference player. Shonns limiting factor was his athleticisn (imo). He wasnt as coordinated and freaky bouncy as kwintin at all.

Very similar looking body-wise. Kwintin just has 3x the fast twitch muscle.

I absolutely loved shonn as a player, regardless.

Reaction Score

RE: Shonn Miller's athleticism

Kwintin looks great in the pre-season highlight videos. I am excited to watch him play, but I'm tempering my expectations. If he provides even half of Shonn Miller's production I will be happy.

Reaction Score

RE: Shonn Miller's athleticism

Kwintin looks great in the pre-season highlight videos. I am excited to watch him play, but I'm tempering my expectations. If he provides even half of Shonn Miller's production I will be happy.

That was a glorious moment that season. But at the same time, if kwintin can develop skills, hebcould do that twice a game. He might literally have a foot higher vertical than shonn. Imo shonns value was in his intelligence, not his hops.

Reaction Score
That was a glorious moment that season. But at the same time, if kwintin can develop skills, hebcould do that twice a game. He might literally have a foot higher vertical than shonn. Imo shonns value was in his intelligence, not his hops.
Huh? You must of been watching another Shonn Miller. He made up for his lack of height by elevating above bigger defenders. He had plenty of ups.

Reaction Score
Huh? You must of been watching another Shonn Miller. He made up for his lack of height by elevating above bigger defenders. He had plenty of ups.

Plenty of ups and generational ups are two differeny things. Kwintin is probably in the top .00001% of human beings. Thats why with an ounce of skill he could be a terrific player.

Shonn had a good leap, but he also boxed out really well--one of the reasons hamilton wass able to snag so many boards.

Reaction Score
Williams is going to get minutes. I like him to start in the front court with Cobb. Mamadou first big man off the bench. Anderson/Vital the two guards off the bench. I think that will be our 8 man rotation.

Reaction Score
Shonns limiting factor was his athleticisn (imo). He wasnt as coordinated and freaky bouncy as kwintin at all. Very similar looking body-wise. Kwintin just has 3x the fast twitch muscle.
Disagree wholeheartedly on this. Miller was very athletic - he just didn't have a complete skill set. So-so ball handling, so-so passing, so-so shot. Where he thrived was using his athleticism to overcome his lack of skills to get boards, play D, and the like.

Regarding "fast twitch" muscle fiber, those huge fat guys who are olympic power lifters? Most can all stand under a hoop, jump straight up, and dunk. It's not all about fast twitch. But speaking of that, Shonn Miller had quick ups. Like Stan. Kwintin? I'm not sure. We'll see come game time. Max vertical is a useful measure, no doubt, but some guys (think Rodman) just have a quicker leap, independent of max vertical.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to see some parallels between Kwintin and Shonn Miller, simply from the standpoint of what their physical profile looks like. Both are about 6'7, 215 pounds. Miller's wingspan was listed at 7'1 - couldn't find one listed for Willims but I imagine it is about the same. Both guys can sky (Shonn maybe wasn't Kwintin but he got up there with an ease I haven't seen from many UConn players...it was a sort of graceful athleticm where he would appear to hang in the air a second longer than everyone else).
Miller had some basketball skills, namely some decent footwork in the post; it's where a lot of his points came from. Not expecting much of that from Williams but to be fair I know essentially nothing about the kid besides his athleticism

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
That would be the most worrisome scenario for me. I'm hoping it's something like what I posited. Once AG started going full contact, he realized the brace wasn't as supportive as he first thought, so they go another.

I thought we were aying the same thing but I'm willing to burn up 6 pages arguing with you. :rolleyes:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
" If every elbow a UCONN player receives requires mandatory concussion protocols, we're going to be in trouble."

Ollie needs to recruit players with harder heads!

Or at least schedule opponents with softer elbows.

Reaction Score
I've never had explained to me what a "take" is. I can only assume what that means from the context of seeing it used on the interwebs. So, I'm going to go out of my comfort zone here and guess that the "takes" are "hot" in this thread.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score

I know the medical science on concussions has changed drastically since I played college football in the late 70s, but at times this new protocol seems like overkill. I know that probably sounds ignorant, but I had my bell rung about 4 times a week in practice and 5 times every Saturday and I eidysitw-dw=e t9ecsesi don't have any s%$#&))#$edsjs&%$jsj ill-effects that I know of. :) ...... get out there and play and then put some Pink Floyd in your headphones in a dark room for a few hours and you'll be fine.

Reaction Score
I know the medical science on concussions has changed drastically since I played college football in the late 70s, but at times this new protocol seems like overkill. I know that probably sounds ignorant, but I had my bell rung about 4 times a week in practice and 5 times every Saturday and I eidysitw-dw=e t9ecsesi don't have any s%$#&))#$edsjs&%$jsj ill-effects that I know of. :) . get out there and play and then put some Pink Floyd in your headphones in a dark room for a few hours and you'll be fine.

Thank you for your insight. Please have your survivors donate your brain for CTE study and ask them to post the results in response to this thread. Appreciate it!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I know the medical science on concussions has changed drastically since I played college football in the late 70s, but at times this new protocol seems like overkill. I know that probably sounds ignorant, but I had my bell rung about 4 times a week in practice and 5 times every Saturday and I eidysitw-dw=e t9ecsesi don't have any s%$#&))#$edsjs&%$jsj ill-effects that I know of. :) . get out there and play and then put some Pink Floyd in your headphones in a dark room for a few hours and you'll be fine.
Don't you belong on twitter?

Reaction Score
CysE6OMWQAEwovR.jpg

How I feel about this whole thread.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Thank you for your insight. Please have your survivors donate your brain for CTE study and ask them to post the results in response to this thread. Appreciate it!
Just kidding Huskymedic... Three or four days of Enya and Kenny G. music would probably work better - my bad. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom