First official practice | Page 3 | The Boneyard

First official practice

Reaction Score
From the Day article...

>>Ollie added a twist this year, bringing in ROTC members to run drills at the beginning of the roughly three hour, 45 minute practice. The Huskies did a training session with the ROTC earlier this fall.

"That was a surprise," Adams said. "When we saw a couple of random guys coming into the gym, they looked familiar. They were ready to work. They were pushing us. They had us doing push-ups on command, sit-ups, wall-to-wall sprints. A whole bunch of different workouts. Physically demanding."<<

Seems quite reasonable to me (as long as I’m not being made to participate - then they are as draconian and inappropriate as some are making them out to be);)

Reaction Score
A) Find the posts where I said that, please.

B) Explain how this has anything to do with skill level and ability to fit in as a lead guard.

Gilbert is a chronic injury waiting to flare up at any time. That is not somebody who you can rely on to lead the team or be an important piece.

Why is Ollie waiting until now to order a sturdier shoulder brace for Rique? With or without shoulder brace he will be a target for opposing teams. Too many of the same things starting to surface.

PS: If every elbow a UCONN player receives requires mandatory concussion protocols, we're going to be in trouble.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course I have no info nor does anyone else as to why a stronger brace for AG’s shoulder was not ordered earlier but to me the optics are not necessarily positive.

Not so much "optics" as a sledgehammer blow between the eyes. Turns out the kid who was "100% cleared to play" is still being "bothered by his shoulder" and cannot play without strong brace support. Supposedly the strong brace support will not hinder his shooting, passing or defense. Right. Looks like we're down to three guards before the first day of practice is done. Our hope may lie in Polley playing the backup #2 behind Vital.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Gilbert is a chronic injury waiting to flare up at any time. That is not somebody who you can rely on to lead the team or be an important piece.

Why is Ollie waiting until now to order a sturdier shoulder brace for Rique? With or without shoulder brace he will be a target for opposing teams. Too many of the same things starting to surface.

PS: If every elbow a UCONN player receives requires mandatory concussion protocols, we're going to be in trouble.

Because Ollie is a horrible, unqualified ,coach, no doubt! He didn't see what the great Huskymagic (who should be on staff) saw.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Of course I have no info nor does anyone else as to why a stronger brace for AG’s shoulder was not ordered earlier but to me the optics are not necessarily positive.
I don't know. I'm hearing our chances for Carey are improving.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
KO, as coach, continues to be a person to which "unforeseen things happen," be it two first-day-of-practice injuries or a key player, 100% cleared to play, who can't practice because he doesn't have the right shoulder brace. We all know such individuals, and the prognosis is never good, given that the unforeseen is literally infinite in supply.

upload_2017-9-30_21-56-33.jpeg

Reaction Score
I imagine that, with the ROTC, they did completely different movements and exercises; movements they're not used to performing. And it's the first practice, so their bodies aren't warmed up at all. This kind of stuff is exactly what leads to injury.

Practice 3 would've been just fine. Not seeing the point of it on day 1.
I went through ROTC physical training. It is very safe if you are in shape. Mostly running, push ups, sit up and pull ups. The one that can get u injured is field training. It only occurs after your 2nd year n u r excluded if u have any chronic condition like asthma. it's good for building toughness n endurance. injuries r not likely if u r in SHAPE

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Some people leave me speechless..............................

Reaction Score
Well one of them screwed it up so bad he somehow got concussed. Unless they also did some basketball stuff, it's kind of odd that that is one of the injuries that occurred
Opinions, and not necessarily supported by any actual documented facts nor by projected direct insights on the injuries. For all anyone who was not in attendance actually knows, Vital could have tripped and hit his head on the court, on some other guy's noggin, or even on Whaley's shoulder (Edit: Or, more likely on some guy's elbow while running a screen as the quote in HuskyMedic's post suggests) ;).

However, even Keefe's and Borges' tweets provide no specifics on the 2 unclear injuries nor insights on the severity at this point. With increasingly growing focus on concussions in sports, perhaps UConn's just being really cautious. None of us have direct reason to know much more at this early stage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“Christian Vital had to go through concussion protocol after taking an elbow to the head on a screen”

“Sophomore Christian Vital, who went to the sidelines after running into a screen, will be checked out for a possible concussion.“
Gotcha, so they were doing basketball stuff. I was off on that.

Reaction Score
Opinions, and not necessarily supported by any actual documented facts nor by projected direct insights on the injuries. For all anyone who was not in attendance actually knows, Vital could have tripped and hit his head on the court, on some other guy's noggin, or even on Whaley's shoulder. Even Keefe's and Borges' tweets provide no specifics on the 2 unclear injuries nor insights on the severity at this point. With increasingly growing focus on concussions in sports, perhaps UConn's just being really cautious. None of us have reason to know at this early stage.

I agree, its the new norm as we saw last season. Its frustrating for everyone but its the right thing to do.

Reaction Score
During practice today, one of the new players had his shoe untied (I won't mention who, because I don't want to come down too hard on the kid). Ollie didn't notice it and the kid tripped over his shoelace and almost hurt himself badly. Had Ollie noticed the untied lace or been paying attention, he could have saved the kid a potential career-ending knee injury. Most other coaches would have been on top of it. The lack of attention to detail continues by our HC, and it will surely destroy the season and the many seasons to come. Laugh all you want about Louisville, but at least their new head coach pays attention to details.

Reaction Score
During practice today, one of the new players had his shoe untied (I won't mention who, because I don't want to come down too hard on the kid). Ollie didn't notice it and the kid tripped over his shoelace and almost hurt himself badly. Had Ollie noticed the untied lace or been paying attention, he could have saved the kid a potential career-ending knee injury. Most other coaches would have been on top of it. The lack of attention to detail continues by our HC, and it will surely destroy the season and the many seasons to come. Laugh all you want about Louisville, but at least their new head coach pays attention to details.

You must be the guy on the receiving end of this

Reaction Score
u got to be kidding me. This is on the player. When u r in D1 basketball. There r expectations coming in. These include being in playing shape. know how to tied your shoes n keep them tied. I have seen a player lost their shoes in a game. never a stop play due to untied shoelaces

intlzncster

Reaction Score
u got to be kidding me. This is on the player. When u r in D1 basketball. There r expectations coming in. These include being in playing shape. know how to tied your shoes n keep them tied. I have seen a player lost their shoes in a game. never a stop play due to untied shoelaces

776.jpg

Reaction Score

Sarcasm alert. Unfortunately the take wasnt that far off from bineyard reality.

Reaction Score
Don't care if the sky is falling or not nor do I care why or why not. No more excuses. Let's see what happens on the court. If the results are good, no problem. If they are bad again, someone needs to be held accountable, no excuses.

Reaction Score
You are insufferable.

I heard Adams got nicked by a bicycle on campus yesterday. If he's going to get hit by bicycles on campus all the time we are in for a tough season.

Now do you how understand how some of your posts sound?

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

It wasn't the elbow. It was the concussion

C

Chief00

Opinions, and not necessarily supported by any actual documented facts nor by projected direct insights on the injuries. For all anyone who was not in attendance actually knows, Vital could have tripped and hit his head on the court, on some other guy's noggin, or even on Whaley's shoulder (Edit: Or, more likely on some guy's elbow while running a screen as the quote in HuskyMedic's post suggests) ;).

However, even Keefe's and Borges' tweets provide no specifics on the 2 unclear injuries nor insights on the severity at this point. With increasingly growing focus on concussions in sports, perhaps UConn's just being really cautious. None of us have direct reason to know much more at this early stage.
Checking guys out is a good thing and fortunately we adjusted our protocol after the embarsssing circus the first half of last season. Doran works hard and is a good trainer - but like most employees he needs some guidance on occasion.

C

Chief00

I will say this, when Calhoun and Blaney sat around and talked for what seemed like hours, this level of detail would come up.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Checking guys out is a good thing and fortunately we adjusted our protocol after the embarsssing circus the first half of last season. Doran works hard and is a good trainer - but like most employees he needs some guidance on occasion.

How exactly has the concussion protocol changed this year from last? And why exactly. I assume it's the same or similar for all sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom