First official practice | Page 4 | The Boneyard

First official practice

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
From the Day article...

>>Ollie added a twist this year, bringing in ROTC members to run drills at the beginning of the roughly three hour, 45 minute practice. The Huskies did a training session with the ROTC earlier this fall.

"That was a surprise," Adams said. "When we saw a couple of random guys coming into the gym, they looked familiar. They were ready to work. They were pushing us. They had us doing push-ups on command, sit-ups, wall-to-wall sprints. A whole bunch of different workouts. Physically demanding."<<

Seems quite reasonable to me (as long as I’m not being made to participate - then they are as draconian and inappropriate as some are making them out to be);)
Gee, push-ups, sit-ups and sprints. No basketball player should ever be put through such torture.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The BY chicken littles are back.
It was a nice two or three weeks.

Possible concussion caused by playing basketball.
Please consider the possibility that AG had the proper brace but things changed. And he was kept out of practice.

C

Chief00

How exactly has the concussion protocol changed this year from last? And why exactly. I assume it's the same or similar for all sports.

It changed during the season last year and was noted at the time by Chief.

pj

Reaction Score
During practice today, one of the new players had his shoe untied (I won't mention who, because I don't want to come down too hard on the kid). Ollie didn't notice it and the kid tripped over his shoelace and almost hurt himself badly. Had Ollie noticed the untied lace or been paying attention, he could have saved the kid a potential career-ending knee injury. Most other coaches would have been on top of it. The lack of attention to detail continues by our HC, and it will surely destroy the season and the many seasons to come. Laugh all you want about Louisville, but at least their new head coach pays attention to details.

At Louisville, all the prostitutes used protection. You don't get that kind of attention to detail at other programs.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It changed during the season last year and was noted at the time by Chief.
Pretty sure there's a relatively standard concussion protocol/guidelines that NCAA institutions need to adhere to...

Yup.

Unless you have clear evidence that they've decided to walk out on a legal limb in managing their student athletes.

Reaction Score
During practice today, one of the new players had his shoe untied (I won't mention who, because I don't want to come down too hard on the kid). Ollie didn't notice it and the kid tripped over his shoelace and almost hurt himself badly. Had Ollie noticed the untied lace or been paying attention, he could have saved the kid a potential career-ending knee injury. Most other coaches would have been on top of it. The lack of attention to detail continues by our HC, and it will surely destroy the season and the many seasons to come. Laugh all you want about Louisville, but at least their new head coach pays attention to details.
Ollie is not the only one on the court. Anyone who saw it, assistant coach, manager, other player, would have (should have) told the kid. That doesn't fall on Ollie.

Reaction Score
Kwintin looks like a dude that's gonna play solid minutes

Why can't Kwintin be our Michael Graham? Why can't he give us putbacks, slams, offensive rebounding, and generally intimidate people? No one asked Michael Graham to hit a 15 footer.

C

Chief00

Pretty sure there's a relatively standard concussion protocol/guidelines that NCAA institutions need to adhere to...

Yup.

Unless you have clear evidence that they've decided to walk out on a legal limb in managing their student athletes.

It changed maybe 2/3rds through the season; they were exponentially leading the nation in possible concussions before that. They fixed that problem. Everyone means well, sometimes it’s how you interpret and they traveled to another zip code from mainstream.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Why can't Kwintin be our Michael Graham? Why can't he give us putbacks, slams, offensive rebounding, and generally intimidate people? No one asked Michael Graham to hit a 15 footer.
Yeah - he has an edge about him and the physical ability is there. Diarra challenged Kwintin in the newspaper about how he is the best rebounder - we will see?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Calhoun always had a monster first practice. He would say, "Remember that nice man who recruited you? He's not here." Then he would work them until a number dropped out.
Mmm, close. I feel like there's a or two missing in there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tons of softies in this thread. ROTC training is great, it keeps the body guessing and you are using muscles you don't normally use. That makes the difference between diving for a ball to keep it in bounds or possession. Ollie wants toughness this year and is doing the right thing. These aren't kids anymore, they're men. We are going to out-tough are competition this year and it starts now fellas.

Injuries heal. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever.

Strive for 5.

Saddle up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It changed maybe 2/3rds through the season; they were exponentially leading the nation in possible concussions before that. They fixed that problem. Everyone means well, sometimes it’s how you interpret and they traveled to another zip code from mainstream.

You got actual stats for that?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Possible concussion caused by playing basketball.
Please consider the possibility that AG had the proper brace but things changed. And he was kept out of practice.

That would be the most worrisome scenario for me. I'm hoping it's something like what I posited. Once AG started going full contact, he realized the brace wasn't as supportive as he first thought, so they go another.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ollie is not the only one on the court. Anyone who saw it, assistant coach, manager, other player, would have (should have) told the kid. That doesn't fall on Ollie.

Jesus.

Reaction Score
Gilbert is a chronic injury waiting to flare up at any time. That is not somebody who you can rely on to lead the team or be an important piece.

Why is Ollie waiting until now to order a sturdier shoulder brace for Rique? With or without shoulder brace he will be a target for opposing teams. Too many of the same things starting to surface.

PS: If every elbow a UCONN player receives requires mandatory concussion protocols, we're going to be in trouble.

Reaction Score

Im not sure you know how exponential growth works.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Kwintin on offense looks awesome ... but defense gets you minutes in Ollie's system. Curious as to how his athleticism will translate on D and whether he'll pick up the opposing team's 3 or 4

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
I understand the concern, but aren't we assuming that the team was subjected to a level of ROTC training that oversteps the bounds of a first practice? In other words, I'm sure the ROTC also has training exercises of varying degrees of difficulty and we can't say for sure that the players experienced a session that was beyond their fitness level.

I'm sure the ROTC enrolls individuals who are able to pass necessary fitness exams but have nothing close to the fitness level or natural athleticism of these D1 basketball players. Those ROTC enrollees also have first days of training, experiencing movements they are not used to and at a time when their bodies are not warmed up. I'd be surprised if the ROTC subjects those enrollees to a first workout that is highly likely to injure and break. As such, I would expect the ROTC to put the team through a tough workout but a workout that is meant for enrollees at an earlier stage of training. Don't forget, the guys have been on campus and working out for weeks now (cumulating in a 5K only 3 days ago).

Not trying to squash your point. I also worry about pushing athletes too hard too early. But I don't think today's ROTC workout automatically implies that the team was pushed too hard. It's possible they experienced exactly the right difficulty for the position they're in
You mean we're not supposed to shoot first and ask questions later??? Reasoned and rational viewpoints have no place on the boneyard!! :)

Reaction Score
I'm starting to see some parallels between Kwintin and Shonn Miller, simply from the standpoint of what their physical profile looks like. Both are about 6'7, 215 pounds. Miller's wingspan was listed at 7'1 - couldn't find one listed for Willims but I imagine it is about the same. Both guys can sky (Shonn maybe wasn't Kwintin but he got up there with an ease I haven't seen from many UConn players...it was a sort of graceful athleticm where he would appear to hang in the air a second longer than everyone else).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom