First official practice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First official practice

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Need to shake the injury bug this year. Tough day one.

Reaction Score
Very stupid stuff for a first practice IMO
They should not have let Ollie beat them in the Husky Run. Never good practices after that for the players. I expected this even though it was pre-planned.

C

Chief00

I eagerly await James Doran's ascent to the position of "Most Criticized Member of the Staff," replacing Travis.

Is it ascent or descent?
Regardless, I think you need to get used to Dave Benedict’s management style. He has standards of excellence and there are no sacred cows. Your good old boys network days are over - it’s about performance and execution. I recognize this will be an adjustment for you but we will cheer you up the learning curve.

C

Chief00

I imagine that, with the ROTC, they did completely different movements and exercises; movements they're not used to performing. And it's the first practice, so their bodies aren't warmed up at all. This kind of stuff is exactly what leads to injury.

Practice 3 would've been just fine. Not seeing the point of it on day 1.

Agreed.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Is it ascent or descent?
Regardless, I think you need to get used to Dave Benedict’s management style. He has standards of excellence and there are no sacred cows. Your good old boys network days are over - it’s about performance and execution. I recognize this will be an adjustment for you but we will cheer you up the learning curve.

You think AD David Benedict will fire an athletic trainer over a shoulder brace. God bless.

C

Chief00

You think AD David Benedict will fire an athletic trainer over a shoulder brace. God bless.
It’s not excluded from the assessment for the total body of work. . IDK the details of this one yet. Who was caught napping on this one?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It’s not excluded from the assessment for the total body of work. . IDK the details of this one yet. Who was caught napping on this one?

Maybe he's gone through a couple, got cleared for contact recently, and didnt like how his current one was reacting to contact. . I heard there was a 'no-touch Alterique' policy over the summer.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You were - why didn't you give KO/AD Dave a heads up that the trainer was caught napping? Given how much influence your word holds, you really dropped the ball on this one!

C

Chief00

You were - why didn't you give KO/AD Dave a heads up that the trainer was caught napping? Given how much influence your word holds, you really dropped the ball on this one!
As I said, I don’t know details but it’s not a good result and whoever was napping will be talked to.

C

Chief00

Stairmaster, Dave is going to run it like a business. People are accountable, including KO on this one. Being accountable doesn’t mean someone will be fired for this but it appears to be a screwup and as a couple of guys learned it’s not infinite patience or a snowflake type environment. Mistakes will be followed by coaching up and if that doesn’t work heat.

Reaction Score
I imagine that, with the ROTC, they did completely different movements and exercises; movements they're not used to performing. And it's the first practice, so their bodies aren't warmed up at all. This kind of stuff is exactly what leads to injury.

Practice 3 would've been just fine. Not seeing the point of it on day 1.

I understand the concern, but aren't we assuming that the team was subjected to a level of ROTC training that oversteps the bounds of a first practice? In other words, I'm sure the ROTC also has training exercises of varying degrees of difficulty and we can't say for sure that the players experienced a session that was beyond their fitness level.

I'm sure the ROTC enrolls individuals who are able to pass necessary fitness exams but have nothing close to the fitness level or natural athleticism of these D1 basketball players. Those ROTC enrollees also have first days of training, experiencing movements they are not used to and at a time when their bodies are not warmed up. I'd be surprised if the ROTC subjects those enrollees to a first workout that is highly likely to injure and break. As such, I would expect the ROTC to put the team through a tough workout but a workout that is meant for enrollees at an earlier stage of training. Don't forget, the guys have been on campus and working out for weeks now (cumulating in a 5K only 3 days ago).

Not trying to squash your point. I also worry about pushing athletes too hard too early. But I don't think today's ROTC workout automatically implies that the team was pushed too hard. It's possible they experienced exactly the right difficulty for the position they're in

Reaction Score
I understand the concern, but aren't we assuming that the team was subjected to a level of ROTC training that oversteps the bounds of a first practice?
Well one of them screwed it up so bad he somehow got concussed. Unless they also did some basketball stuff, it's kind of odd that that is one of the injuries that occurred

Reaction Score
I think its funny how armchair warriors are suggesting ollie is having the players do dangerous things in practice.

1) we have professional trainers.
2) these kids are year-round athletes, not delicate flowers until practice #3.
3) he kept gilbert out... doesnt that show he is focusing on safety?

Get over yourselves, yarders. Theres plenty to criticize about ollie. This isnt it.

C

Chief00

Maybe he's gone through a couple, got cleared for contact recently, and didnt like how his current one was reacting to contact. . I heard there was a 'no-touch Alterique' policy over the summer.
Yeah - another reason why you can only read so much into the summer games - in his case.

Reaction Score
Well one of them screwed it up so bad he somehow got concussed. Unless they also did some basketball stuff, it's kind of odd that that is one of the injuries that occurred

“Christian Vital had to go through concussion protocol after taking an elbow to the head on a screen”

“Sophomore Christian Vital, who went to the sidelines after running into a screen, will be checked out for a possible concussion.“

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom