Best Player Ever From The State Of Connecticut | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Player Ever From The State Of Connecticut

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There have been some really good players who weren’t the best, but were darn good and a few from the days when not every really good player went to a D1 school for various reasons. For D1, John Pinone, Lloyd Hinchey to name a few. Eddie Griffin from Hartford Public was a tremendous hs player who went to a historically black college. Hinchey, nice guy who I got to know in law school, was a great shooter at NFA went to Holy Cross when it was still a nationally known hoops power, was the leading scorer on his frosh team. Then he had some sort of leg injury, sidelined for a bit and was never quite the same. Definitely NBA talent. Needless to say, he ate up our law school league.

Reaction Score
No one from CT dominated their sport better than Joan Joyce from Waterbury. She struck out Ted Williams and was the greatest softball player in history.

Roger Connor was the first CT player elected to the hall of fame from CT. Also from Waterbury.

Reaction Score
Bobby Moore was the best baller I remember in high school

Roosevelt Lee was also ranked higher than LeBron James at one point

Reaction Score
So I don't see New Britain on the list. Rod Foster? He was well on his way to a solid pro career when he had an accident in a jeep(I think Ed Pinkney was also in it). Played for UCLA. Also Phoenix Suns.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Bobby Moore was the best baller I remember in high school

Roosevelt Lee was also ranked higher than LeBron James at one point

And Chris Paul.

Man, so much unfulfilled promise there. Always wondered what happened there.

Reaction Score
Didn’t read the whole thread, but Ernie Cobb was an amazing high school player I saw in person at the JCC Classic in 75. Had incredible range.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calvin was a world -class baton twirler. As part of his attending Niagara he was promised that he would perform at Bills home games. No other school could match that offer.
That's what I heard, too. Niagara was the only school that respected his baton twirling.

Reaction Score
Chuck Alexsinas - averaged over 40 points with 19 rebounds senior year at Wamogo - not much after unfortunately

Walter Esdaile - Hillhousee

Eddie Griffin - Hartford Public

Charles Smith - Harding

Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy, the absolute best, by statistics, dynamic play, and by longevity in the NBA.

Billy Evans, Hillhouse, point guard, played for the Nets for one year, and he played with Esdaile.

John Williamson, played for Wilbur Cross and later for the Nets. Close comparison to Murphy as a high school player.

Reaction Score
Forgot to include Dave Hicks from Wilbur Cross, New Haven, who was a teammate of Dom Perno.

Reaction Score
There was a running joke at xavier before any event that Jeff bagwell would be coming...dumb in hindsight like most things in high school... but still makes me laugh

Reaction Score
Walter Luckett

Non existent pro career due to injury but absolutely dominated in high school and was pretty damn good in college too. Best CT prep career by far.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy by far.

Anyone remember Sly Williams?

Best brother pair, Super John and Maurice Williamson

Best cousin pair, Frank Olenylk and Barry McCloud

Best high school pure shooter I saw in person: Richie Began - Bunnell

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online