Best Player Ever From The State Of Connecticut | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Best Player Ever From The State Of Connecticut

Reaction Score
Donovan Mitchell played all 4 years of high school in Connecticut. 2 years at Greenwich Country Day and then 2 years at Canterbury. His bio on Louisville’s website lists Greenwich, Connecticut as hometown. Don’t know if that qualifies him

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I batted against Matt Harvey my sophomore year/his freshman year. 3 heaters I couldn’t even get the bat off my shoulder for.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
What if the OP said best "playa" ever? I want to hear the insider stories behind those votes!

Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy by far.

Anyone remember Sly Williams?

Best brother pair, Super John and Maurice Williams.

Best cousin pair, Frank Olenylk and Barry McCloud

Best high school pure shooter I saw in person: Richie Began - Bunnell
Think John and Maurice were Williamson.

Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of seeing super John Williamson play in a tournament in Derby CT about two weeks after his Wilbur Cross HS team lose to Hiilhouse High for the state championship his senior year. In the championship game Williamson had 42 points in a loss by a score of around 92 to 91 points. Hillhouse was the second ranked team in the country and lost to the number 1 team by 1 point earlier in the year. Hillhouse was lead by Curvan Lewis a 6’9” 225 lb man child and 6’6” guard Charley Farley both all staters. They had three other players who were all state in the next couple of years. Including a 6’5” freshman forward. Cross had 6’1” Williamson and not much else. Williamson had to play center on the team. Their rematch in Derby was a near duplicate of the state championship game 41 points for Super John and a 92 to 90 loss. But seeing Williamson play is still the most dominate personal performance by a high school player I ever saw. I did see Antony Harris and Mile Giminski and Earl Kelly play in high school and they weren’t close to Williamson.
John’s brother was called Jiggy Williamson who played at UMass. Jiggy was a very good guard but John was at a whole different level.

Reaction Score
I had the pleasure of seeing super John Williamson play in a tournament in Derby CT about two weeks after his Wilbur Cross HS team lose to Hiilhouse High for the state championship his senior year. In the championship game Williamson had 42 points in a loss by a score of around 92 to 91 points. Hillhouse was the second ranked team in the country and lost to the number 1 team by 1 point earlier in the year. Hillhouse was lead by Curvan Lewis a 6’9” 225 lb man child and 6’6” guard Charley Farley both all staters. They had three other players who were all state in the next couple of years. Including a 6’5” freshman forward. Cross had 6’1” Williamson and not much else. Williamson had to play center on the team. Their rematch in Derby was a near duplicate of the state championship game 41 points for Super John and a 92 to 90 loss. But seeing Williamson play is still the most dominate personal performance by a high school player I ever saw. I did see Antony Harris and Mile Giminski and Earl Kelly play in high school and they weren’t close to Williamson.

John’s brother was called Jiggy Williamson who played at UMass. Jiggy was a very good guard but John was at a whole different level.

Thought Jiggy was at URI? Nice player.

Maurice was LSU.

Reaction Score
A little surprised nobody has mentioned Kris Dunn. I don't think he's the best ever but he should be in consideration. 2010-2011 New London team is one of the best highschool teams in CT public league history. If not for the shoulder injury he would have been a 2x state champion and one of the best to ever play at PC.

Reaction Score
Got to throw in some late 1950's and early 1960's guys saw play against my Bpt Warren Harding teams (while I was in grammar school) - Lloyd Hinchey from NFA and Dave Hicks from Hillhouse both could really play. Never saw Egan in person. Calvin was just on another level.

Reaction Score

Earl AVERAGED 47 ppg his senior year......at a school that didn't play shabby competition. Don't think it's fair to say he wasn't close to Williamson.

EDIT: 39 PPG, but you get my point

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There have been some really good players who weren’t the best, but were darn good and a few from the days when not every really good player went to a D1 school for various reasons. For D1, John Pinone, Lloyd Hinchey to name a few. Eddie Griffin from Hartford Public was a tremendous hs player who went to a historically black college. Hinchey, nice guy who I got to know in law school, was a great shooter at NFA went to Holy Cross when it was still a nationally known hoops power, was the leading scorer on his frosh team. Then he had some sort of leg injury, sidelined for a bit and was never quite the same. Definitely NBA talent. Needless to say, he ate up our law school league.
Harold Jensen had a nice run.

Reaction Score
Harold Jensen had a nice run.

Real good player but not these guys being mentioned. Good fit player for sure but not like these guys or even close.

Jay Murphy had a really nice career at BC during the glory days also so honorable mention no doubt.

Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy definitely the best, but I'm surprised there has been no mention of Bridgeport's John Bagley. Great career at BC, Big East Player of the year in 1981. One of many great CT high school stars who "went elsewhere" until Jim Calhoun brought Chris Smith to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy definitely the best, but I'm surprised there has been no mention of Bridgeport's John Bagley. Great career at BC, Big East Player of the year in 1981. One of many great CT high school stars who "went elsewhere" until Jim Calhoun brought Chris Smith to Storrs.

And Ernie Cobb...

Reaction Score
Bruce Campbell

I remember seeing him at the class S track and field championships when we were seniors, and being in awe of how massive he was. Played with James Nixon who ended up in the league for a couple seasons too.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Got to throw in some late 1950's and early 1960's guys saw play against my Bpt Warren Harding teams (while I was in grammar school) - Lloyd Hinchey from NFA and Dave Hicks from Hillhouse both could really play. Never saw Egan in person. Calvin was just on another level.
I mentioned Hinchey. I had to guard him for about 2 minutes in our law school league. It was comical.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Surprised no has mentioned Vin Baker. Scott Burrell with only 1 mention is surprising too.
I was at UConn/UHar game at the Civic Center. Calhoun started with Toraino Walker guarding Baker. It was like Walker wasn’t even in the court. Eventually JC put Burrell on Baker and he pretty much stopped him.

Reaction Score
Scott Burrell.

Really surprised Scott has so few mentions. He and Chris Smith came to mind immediately and they formed a great backcourt when they were together. I remember old friend Billy Packer mentioning once that they might be the best backcourt in the country. High praise indeed from somebody who constantly accused Smith of carrying the ball during his cross-over move.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Surprised no has mentioned Vin Baker. Scott Burrell with only 1 mention is surprising too.

Burrell is one of the great all around hs athletes ever with guys like Carl Crawford, Joe Mauer, Dave Winfield, etc.

We see a lot of guys quit baseball to go play QB, that just shows you how hard Baseball is though

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Burrell is one of the great all around hs athletes ever with guys like Carl Crawford, Joe Mauer, Dave Winfield, etc.

We see a lot of guys quit baseball to go play QB, that just shows you how hard Baseball is though
Amen. There used to be an expression in the Big leagues:

"That curveball has sent a lot of players back to the minors"

Reaction Score
Burrell is the only player drafted in the first round by both the MLB and the NBA.

He was recruited as a football player by Miami, Penn State and Notre Dame.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I was at UConn/UHar game at the Civic Center. Calhoun started with Toraino Walker guarding Baker. It was like Walker wasn’t even in the court. Eventually JC put Burrell on Baker and he pretty much stopped him.
I think I went to this game also. Did Vinny put up like 24pts in the first half? Remember thinking 'who is this guy?!".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but of all those mentioned, who was better in college than Camby?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Does Sly Williams deserve mention?
Yes, he does. His Rhody team just missed taking down the Spanarkle Duke team that made it to the Finals. Another CT guy missed the potential game winner at the buzzer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom