Best Player Ever From The State Of Connecticut | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Best Player Ever From The State Of Connecticut

Reaction Score
A bit off-topic, but I used to get really aggravated in the early '80s when BC's Dr. Tom would trot out five guys, four of whom came from Connecticut. Our in-state high school stars were playing against us. I thought if everyone would just stay "home", we'd have a great team.

1981-1982:
John Bagley, Harding - Bridgeport​
Jay Murphy, Maloney - Meriden​
John Garris, Bassack - Bridgeport​
Michael Adams, Hartford Public​
FWIW, we beat them home and away that season.

Reaction Score
A bit off-topic, but I used to get really aggravated in the early '80s when BC's Dr. Tom would trot out five guys, four of whom came from Connecticut. Our in-state high school stars were playing against us. I thought if everyone would just stay "home", we'd have a great team.

1981-1982:
John Bagley, Harding - Bridgeport​
Jay Murphy, Maloney - Meriden​
John Garris, Bassack - Bridgeport​
Michael Adams, Hartford Public​
FWIW, we beat them home and away that season.

Reaction Score
Add a vote for the Knorr Road flash, Monroe's Mike Gminski; AA at Duke (jersey retired), 1978 NCAA Finals, 15 year NBA career.

Reaction Score
Add a vote for the Knorr Road flash, Monroe's Mike Gminski; AA at Duke (jersey retired), 1978 NCAA Finals, 15 year NBA career.
If they retired Gmindki' s # there standard for retiring #'s is pretty low. Nice player but.....

Reaction Score
If they retired Gmindki' s # there standard for retiring #'s is pretty low. Nice player but.....
Yeah, it s only Duke after all, and they retired a little more than a dozen players in their history. How absurdly low “ there” standards must be.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure this name has been mentioned, but he was slept on in high school despite being the best in the state, Tharon Mayes. He got off at Fla. State, had more than a cup of coffee in the league and if I'm not mistaken, still giving back in New Haven.

Reaction Score
Being from New London County, i have to put Tyson Wheeler, Jordan Reed, and Raji Davis in the mix..

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Being from New London County, i have to put Tyson Wheeler, Jordan Reed, and Raji Davis in the mix..

Rajai Davis the outfielder is the reason rajai Davis the hitter isn’t a World Series legend.

Reaction Score
Only HoF born in CT, so he's the easy #1.

Here's the link to the list of players born in CT. Someone like Drummond who was born in New York and raised in CT doesn't make the list.

Did anyone notice the obviously dumb information about Corny Thompson???? Why does it show that he only played something like 47 games?????

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice the obviously dumb information about Corny Thompson???? Why does it show that he only played something like 47 games?????

Because those are NBA/ABA stats and he only played one year for the Mavs. Next season was for the CBA team in Detroit before he went to Europe.

Reaction Score
Walter Luckett. 6’4” guard from Bridgeport’s Kolbe Cathedral HS.

Scored 2691points in his high school career graduating 1972. That was a New England high school record that stood for over 30 years.

Senior year averaged 39.5 points, 16 boards, and 13 assists.

Sports Illustrated’s annual college basketball issue in 1972 had Luckett on the national edition cover before he had ever played a single game in college.

Regarded as the top swingman recruit in the country, he was recruited nationally by all the big names but curiously chose Ohio University.

He belongs in the top 5 all-time CT HS basketball players after Calvin Murphy.

Reaction Score
Rod Foster ., lost in the Ncaa semi -finals as freshman , Has the NCAA record for free throw shooting in a single season at a 97 or 98 %

Reaction Score
Earl AVERAGED 47 ppg his senior year......at a school that didn't play shabby competition. Don't think it's fair to say he wasn't close to Williamson.

EDIT: 39 PPG, but you get my point
Kelly was a great high school scorer and obviously a tremendous player, but I am talking about the presence on the court against one of the greatest high school teams ever in CT. In that era there wasn't the prep schools recruiting kids and assembling elite teams. To get nationally ranked a team had to be great for a couple of years and schedule to play the best teams. Hillhouse was a powerhouse offensively and defensively, their players were big, skilled and powerful. As I said watching Williamson perform was eye opening. He was essentially a one man show against a great high school team. I believe almost every point was from him or an assist from him not to mention the rebounding and that he was guarding Lewis who was a monster under the basket.
Kelly I came away with that he was a great scorer, Williamson I came away with that he was the best basketball player I ever saw in high school. He played one year I believe at New Mexico State and then went pro where he teamed up with Dr. J.

Reaction Score
Someone stated in a thread, where the relative merits of Lively versus Clingan was being discussed that, "Yes, he’s (Clingan) the best player CT has ever seen."
Focusing on Connecticut natives, someone countered with Drummond and another with Gminski, and you might add Camby or Corny Thompson, but how about overall best player ever, regardless of position? Calvin Murphy?
John Williamson was the best wilbur Cross

Reaction Score
Calvin Murphy, no question. But Johnny Egan would have given him a run had he not played injured for his entire pro career.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Kelly was a great high school scorer and obviously a tremendous player, but I am talking about the presence on the court against one of the greatest high school teams ever in CT. In that era there wasn't the prep schools recruiting kids and assembling elite teams. To get nationally ranked a team had to be great for a couple of years and schedule to play the best teams. Hillhouse was a powerhouse offensively and defensively, their players were big, skilled and powerful. As I said watching Williamson perform was eye opening. He was essentially a one man show against a great high school team. I believe almost every point was from him or an assist from him not to mention the rebounding and that he was guarding Lewis who was a monster under the basket.
Kelly I came away with that he was a great scorer, Williamson I came away with that he was the best basketball player I ever saw in high school. He played one year I believe at New Mexico State and then went pro where he teamed up with Dr. J.

Earl was the highest scoring player in the country his senior year. His team beat Patrick Ewing's team. He was essentially unstoppable in high school. BE Rookie of the Year. If only Calhoun had arrived one year sooner to get his arms around him, he'd have had a real pro career. Just a great handle, and great range. What a waste...

Reaction Score
Norwalk`s Calvin Murphy in a landslide.

In the 1981 Western Conference playoffs the Rockets took out the Champion Magic, Kareem led Lakers in the 1st round. Moses and Murph outplayed the Laker duo.

In the next round Houston upset the Spurs and the Ice Man in 7 games. Murphy scored a game-high 42 points on 19-of-28 shooting (67.9%) in what was the biggest game of his career.

If Murph dosent get hurt in game 5 of the finals vs Bird`s Celtics the series may have ended differently.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Not too long after moving to Ct. my Dad and I went to a high school tournament where I remember watching a guy by the name of Paxton "Moochie" Cobb. I believe this may be Ernie's younger cousin. Anyways I believe he dropped 40 or 50 that night. That night this kid looked like Pearl Washington with a jumper. He scored on drives, deep J's, could not be contained. Can't remember who the opponent was, but had to be the most dazzling Ct. high school offensive performance I've witnessed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom