Best Player Ever From The State Of Connecticut | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Player Ever From The State Of Connecticut

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
He went to high school in CT. Isn't that what should count?

Why?

If you only spent 4 years in the state but more in others, why would an arbitrary set of 4 years matter more than others?

the Q

Reaction Score
All the coach’s in the 90’s in Babe Ruth told us you can be just like Bagwell. Now it’s my boy AJ Pollack!

I played against him. Didn’t realize he was only a frosh or soph.

Wasn’t even the best player on his team at the time. Wild how much he developed.

Reaction Score
Why?

If you only spent 4 years in the state but more in others, why would an arbitrary set of 4 years matter more than others?
Well it doesn't apply to Drummond. His hometown is Middletown, he lived there since he was in first grade.

the Q

Reaction Score
Well it doesn't apply to Drummond. His hometown is Middletown, he lived there since he was in first grade.

Yeah, I wasn’t referring to anyone specifically. Just in general. The comment came off like everyone is just from where they went to hs.

the Q

Reaction Score
He moved here when he was 7

Yeah I wasn’t referring specially to a player. I just dislike the concept that wherever you went to hs is automatically where you’re “from”

Reaction Score
Yeah I wasn’t referring specially to a player. I just dislike the concept that wherever you went to hs is automatically where you’re “from”
Drummond actually lived in CT, didn't just come to CT to play high school ball. He did finish up at St. Thomas More after 2 years at Capital Prep in Hartford.

In the case of a kid who simply came to Connecticut to play high school basketball I would not necessarily consider him to be from Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Someone stated in a thread, where the relative merits of Lively versus Clingan was being discussed that, "Yes, he’s (Clingan) the best player CT has ever seen."
Focusing on Connecticut natives, someone countered with Drummond and anotheesd r with Gminski, and you might add Camben yor Corny Thompson, but how about overall best player ever, regardless of position? Calvin Murphy?
Have not read the the thread but it is Calvin Murphy and it's not even close.

Reaction Score
Gminski averaged 41ppg his Junior year and left early for Duke. He is up there with Murphy, Matthews, Bagley, Smith, Smith, Earl Kelley and I’m sure there are others I can’t think of.

he never beat Harding

Reaction Score
Someone stated in a thread, where the relative merits of Lively versus Clingan was being discussed that, "Yes, he’s (Clingan) the best player CT has ever seen."
Focusing on Connecticut natives, someone countered with Drummond and another with Gminski, and you might add Camby or Corny Thompson, but how about overall best player ever, regardless of position? Calvin Murphy?
Calvin Murphy

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Anthony Harris is Top 10. Why did Calvin Murphy go to such a crappy school if he was such a stud?
So he could pour in 68 against cuse. Seriously, the smart money said he was too small.

Reaction Score
Best boxer pound per pound ever some experts say. My father trained him while he was still an amateur
For sure and he had all his wits about him until the end because nobody could hit him...

Watch "Angelo Dundee Interviews Willie Pep (RARE) Funny Interview talks Sugar ray, Dad, and more" on YouTube

Reaction Score
Gminski averaged 41ppg his Junior year and left early for Duke. He is up there with Murphy, Matthews, Bagley, Smith, Smith, Earl Kelley and I’m sure there are others I can’t think of.
Hometown bias here, but in terms of high school ball I don’t think there’s has been anyone in state that was more dominant and unstoppable as Gminski was. His numbers would have been staggering if he had played a full 4 quarters along with a senior year. He also had a stellar NBA career.

GMan also won the NFL punt, pass and kick competition back in the early 70’s.

But in terms of best player from CT. my vote would go to HOF’er Murphy.

Reaction Score
All the coach’s in the 90’s in Babe Ruth told us you can be just like Bagwell. Now it’s my boy AJ Pollack!
How about spelling his name correctly. Pollock.

Reaction Score
Anthony Harris is Top 10. Why did Calvin Murphy go to such a crappy school if he was such a stud?
Anthony Harris was an insane high school player and my reference point between being very good and elite. On the court, he was just different than the other guys. It’s a shame things went so sour at Syracuse.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Didn't know Pep was from CT
Pep was hired as a bouncer for one year when I wax at UConn at the Rock Garden restaurant in Willimsntic The days when Mansfield was a dry town. Very good restaurant and bar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom