2023 New school commitments by Transfers | Page 28 | The Boneyard

2023 New school commitments by Transfers

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, our list of "best available hoopsters in the portal" contains two well-known, ball-dominant point guards and guard from Idaho.
Joni Taylor of Texas A&M continues to bring in transfers, even while she was overseeing the U.S.A. u-19 trials (multi-tasking ;)) and Evelien Lutje Schipholt ends up at a not-altogether surprising location in South Florida. Stay tuned.

Point Guards
  • Diamond Johnson, 5'5" Jr. (NC State, Rutgers)
  • Kennedy Fauntleroy, 5'7" Fr. (Georgetown) Oklahoma State
  • Taina Mair, 5'9" Fr. (Boston College) Duke
  • Jaden Owens, 5'7" Sr. (Baylor, UCLA) TCU
  • Ashley Owusu, 6'0" Sr. (Va. Tech, Maryland)
  • Endiya Rogers, 5'7" Sr. (Oregon, USC) Texas A&M

Guards/Wings
  • Beyoncé Bea 6’1" G from Idaho Washington State
  • Aicha Coulibaly 6’0" G from Auburn Texas A&M
  • Kendall Holmes, 5'11" Jr. (DePaul) South Dakota
  • Justine Pissot, 6'4" Fr. (Tenn.) Vanderbilt
  • Darrione Rogers, 5'11" Jr. (DePaul) Mississippi State
  • Jewell Spear, 5'10" Jr. (Wake Forest) Tennessee

Forwards
  • Denae Carter, 6'0" So. (Miss. State) Villanova
  • Erynn Barnum, 6'2" RS Sr. (Arkansas) Mississippi State
  • Kaitlyn Davis, 6'1" Sr. (Columbia) University of Southern California
  • Aneesah Morrow, 6'1" So. (DePaul) LSU
  • Evelien Lutje Schipholt, 6'2" Sr. (Cal) South Florida

Centers
  • Nerea Hermosa, 6'5" Sr. (Ga. Tech) Going Pro in Spain
  • Imani Lester, 6'3" Fr. (didn't play) (Louisville) Kansas State
  • Lauren Ware, 6'5" Jr. (Ariz.) Texas A&M

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My prediction on a starting five is J Malone, J Barker, A Coulibaly, S Bowles and E Rogers.
someone has to redshirt i wonder who the sacrifical lamb will be with the roster size .

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
someone has to redshirt i wonder who the sacrifical lamb will be with the roster size .
So, Texas A&M has four transfers coming in, four signees, and potentially 9 returners? Excuse my ignorance, but does a redshirt solve that or is someone going to have to transfer or be put on as a walk-on?

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
So, Texas A&M has four transfers coming in, four signees, and potentially 9 returners? Excuse my ignorance, but does a redshirt solve that or is someone going to have to transfer or be put on as a walk-on?
They don’t have their 2023-24 returning roster posted yet and they do have 3 leaving via the portal, so maybe the numbers will work.

Reaction Score
15 schollies period. Redshirt doesn’t matter, so “walk-on” (maybe with NIL money??? )is the only solution.

Personally. I think it should only be 13 schollies. Give two to softball. They have like 20-something roster spots and only 12.5 schollies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
They don’t have their 2023-24 returning roster posted yet and they do have 3 leaving via the portal, so maybe the numbers will work.
Oh I missed the third portal departure. I was only aware of Kindred and Petticord. It’s unclear to me if Roby and M. green are returning so it may not be an issue.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
15 schollies period. Redshirt doesn’t matter, so “walk-on” (maybe with NIL money??? )is the only solution.

Personally. I think it should only be 13 schollies. Give two to softball. They have like 20-something roster spots and only 12.5 schollies.
Okay. That’s what I thought. Just got confused. Thank you.

Reaction Score

Did not know this. Would have thought this sport would have at least 15.

Reaction Score
Baseball too. Basically, the players all get half scholarships.

SEC hates the rule. Commissioner has cited it as one reason the SEC is considering withdrawing from the NCAA. If the Big Ten would join them, the SEC would be gone tomorrow.

Reaction Score

SEC hates the rule. Commissioner has cited it as one reason the SEC is considering withdrawing from the NCAA. If the Big Ten would join them, the SEC would be gone tomorrow.
Baseball is a popular sport at Mississippi State and our former coach has railed at the NCAA for years regarding the baseball scholarship situation. Several players are not on scholarship at all. Obviously NIL has helped but at most schools baseball isn’t a big deal and scholarship money is all that is available.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
But it is different in general. If you play women's basketball, you have a full scholarship. Football (FBS) and Men's Basketball as well. Apparently, women's volleyball, tennis and gymnastics also get "full rides". These are called "head count" sports, as the number of players is controlled.

In the other sports, it is a total scholarship amount (as noted, 12.5 in softball) that can be divided up any way the coach / school wants. This, rather than number of players, is the controlling factor. Someone could have a full scholarship, someone else a partial, all on the same team.

What it is all intended to do, of course, is level the playing field. NIL has probably upset that apple cart, but it prevents a school like Oklahoma - who is so good in Softball, for example - from being able to ensure all players are on scholarship while a school like maybe Binghamton couldn't afford the additional price. And besides, at least in the past, schools were not required to offer the full complement available in the sport. It was a big deal at Rutgers when the decision was made to make the maximum amount available to all the non head count sports.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hyped. I did see some Instagram stuff. Washington state is tough. So many good pieces.
With this edition, perhaps WSU is looking to Run The World... :cool::p;)

:oops:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hyped. I did see some Instagram stuff. Washington state is tough. So many good pieces.
Yeah, they were definitely more than a 1 player team, but getting some additional scoring is certainly not a bad thing for them.

They GOTTA get past the First Round of the Tourney this year. They've been too good to keep being One and Done.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Solid pick-up for the Lions. Lions needed to pick up some talent, with two top transfers (Davis-USC, Patrick-Miami) out this year. Collins was a solid performer for Bucknell last year. Columbia also has Ava Sciolla from Maryland last year coming in, giving Lions two six-foot guards to join All-Ivy Abbey Hsu.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Solid pick-up for the Lions. Lions needed to pick up some talent, with two transfers out this year. Collins was a solid performer for Bucknell last year. Columbia also has Ava Sciolla from Maryland last year coming in, giving Lions two six-foot guards to join All-Ivy Abbey Hsu.

Nice to see them adding some pieces. Going to be tough to replace Davis, Patrick and Pratt without missing a beat, but that's just the nature of the beast. I'm hoping the Lions come to Vandy this year to repay the Dores' trip to New York last season. Not sure if that was a home and away arrangement or not. I know coach Ralph wanted to take her team on the road against a good team and also wanted them to experience the city. Maybe that will be the end of it. One thing for sure, coach Griffith won't shy away from a trip to Nashville or anywhere else for that matter. She loaded them up with challenging road games to start last season, no doubt looking to sharpen the edge for the coming battle with Princeton.

Looking forward to watching Hsu this sesaon. Her game is a joy.

Reaction Score

Blame the 85 football scholarships.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom