2023 New school commitments by Transfers | Page 29 | The Boneyard

2023 New school commitments by Transfers

Reaction Score
While not official yet, the thinking is there will be a commitment from Kennedy Cambridge, to Louisville, who left KY in March. Doesn’t hurt that she is the older sister of 2024 Jaloni Cambridge.

Reaction Score
While not official yet, the thinking is there will be a commitment from Kennedy Cambridge, to Louisville, who left KY in March. Doesn’t hurt that she is the older sister of 2024 Jaloni Cambridge.

Reaction Score

2 for 1?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Hard to believe that she was one of the first to announce she'd be entering the transfer portal (left the team early?), has taken this long to make a decision that could end up being a school only 70 miles away from her previous school, and an in-state rival at that! :p

Reaction Score
Oregon State adds to its women’s basketball roster, lands Utah transfer post Kelsey Rees
Oregon State adds to its women’s basketball roster, lands Utah transfer post Kelsey Rees
1684775955121.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Blame the 85 football scholarships.
I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see ALL D1 athletic teams/coaches be allowed to offer a full-ride scholarship for every roster spot each sport has. i.e., if women's softball has a 15-player limit, schools/coaches should be able to offer 15 full-ride scholarships to fill their roster if they wish. Those student-athletes need financial assistance also. They are no different than football or basketball players.

They spend as much time practicing or in meetings as most other sports. Until I saw it for myself, I had no idea that band members (all on scholarship) spent as much time as they do practicing. The band members at my school practiced what seemed like 7 days a week, year-round. :eek: They were never bored. They were either studying sleeping or practicing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Oregon finally signs a portal player, a grad student PG. Williams will likely add depth at the PG position behind returning 2nd year starter Chance Gray. Still need depth at the 2 and 3 where 6'1" wings Sophia Bell and Sammie Wagner are coming in as Freshman. 5'9" JC transfer Bella Hamel is a likely 2. The front line could be set with Philly Kyei and Kennedy Basham at 5 and Grace Van Slooten now having a running mate at 4 with incoming Frosh 6'4" Sarah Rambus. Graves expects to add 3 more for a squad of 12 so there may be another front line player.

Not sure all they contacted of the "Top 35" that have commited to date but I know they went after Ekh and Donarski unsuccessfully.
Definitely a youth movement program overall so one and done grad students most likely.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Indiana adding some depth at the forward position. IU Coach Moren has a good track record -- by and large -- with incoming transfers; so if she sees something, it's worth seeing how the new addition plays out next season. Currie-Jelks apparently had two injuries in high school (see article below Raoul post), which might've kept her under the radar a bit. She certainly had a fine freshman year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Oregon finally signs a portal player, a grad student PG. Williams will likely add depth at the PG position behind returning 2nd year starter Chance Gray. Still need depth at the 2 and 3 where 6'1" wings Sophia Bell and Sammie Wagner are coming in as Freshman. 5'9" JC transfer Bella Hamel is a likely 2. The front line could be set with Philly Kyei and Kennedy Basham at 5 and Grace Van Slooten now having a running mate at 4 with incoming Frosh 6'4" Sarah Rambus. Graves expects to add 3 more for a squad of 12 so there may be another front line player.

Not sure all they contacted of the "Top 35" that have commited to date but I know they went after Ekh and Donarski unsuccessfully.
Definitely a youth movement program overall so one and done grad students most likely.
You gotta be kidding me. Graves's stock is dropping fast. Growing movement to oust him might be on the table for next year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

The Spartans won 26 games last year and went to the NCAAs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So many really good “mid-major” players have transferred to Big Time programs, including Lou to UConn. Diamond Johnson’s decision to transfer to Norfolk St is certainly swimming against the current. I have to wonder if there was some NIL inducement from a well-heeled alum that persuaded Johnson that Norfolk St was the place to be?

Reaction Score
So many really good “mid-major” players have transferred to Big Time programs, including Lou to UConn. Diamond Johnson’s decision to transfer to Norfolk St is certainly swimming against the current. I have to wonder if there was some NIL inducement from a well-heeled alum that persuaded Johnson that Norfolk St was the place to be?

I get the thought process, but there are a lot of advantages to an HBCU program that she could have seen as positives beyond NIL. It also could be the style of play that was more attractive for her compared to other options.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I get the thought process, but there are a lot of advantages to an HBCU program that she could have seen as positives beyond NIL. It also could be the style of play that was more attractive for her compared to other options.
You are probably correct. Maybe she just wants to be a Big Fish in a small pond. As a 5’5” shooting guard, Johnson probably doesn’t have a future in the W. So why not enjoy her last few years of college eligibility as the star of the MEAC?

Reaction Score
You are probably correct. Maybe she just wants to be a Big Fish in a small pond. As a 5’5” shooting guard, Johnson probably doesn’t have a future in the W. So why not enjoy her last few years of college eligibility as the star of the MEAC?

I prefer the word "possibly" as we don't know what her true motivation is. Personally, I like seeing an HBCU land a talented player like Johnson. Sometimes going after a P5 scholarship isn't necessary to succeed as the definition of success for one is different from another.

As a friend of mine says "fit over name". In a lot of cases, I believe this is the larger issue with transfers than anything else. Sure NIL is in play, but a lot of times you see kids moving to non-P5 schools because they realize that the level is much more than expected.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I was hired at a company the same day as a woman from an HBCU. In getting to know each other, we traded college stories. I learned much about HBCUs from her. There's the sense of belonging, community for students, and the networking for post grad opportunities is a plus.

Reaction Score
I was hired at a company the same day as a woman from an HBCU. In getting to know each other, we traded college stories. I learned much about HBCUs from her. There's the sense of belonging, community for students, and the networking for post grad opportunities is a plus.

That's something that doesn't really exist here in Canada from what I've noticed. There are associations sure, but schools that were built specifically to support black people furthering their education like in the US, not so much.

Reaction Score
Any rumblings on Owusu? She's starting to look like kryptonite.
I'm a little surprised but it also may be a multitude of reasons. I was thinking she probably wasn't anticipating leaving after one year so completing her degree may be a task that requires her undivided attention. I don't know how some of these young folks balance the portal process with finishing school. I remember Shaylee Gonzalez last year seemingly had a late start to the portal process and committed kinda late.

Really hoping for the best as I think she can change the ceiling of a team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I prefer the word "possibly" as we don't know what her true motivation is. Personally, I like seeing an HBCU land a talented player like Johnson. Sometimes going after a P5 scholarship isn't necessary to succeed as the definition of success for one is different from another.

As a friend of mine says "fit over name". In a lot of cases, I believe this is the larger issue with transfers than anything else. Sure NIL is in play, but a lot of times you see kids moving to non-P5 schools because they realize that the level is much more than expected.
Also for @oldude :

Johnson thinks she can do both at Norfolk State: enjoy the fit and still pursue her WNBA dream.
Apparently, the 20-win Norfolk State hoops team was very defensive-minded, so perhaps they can use a little bit of the lightning-in-the-bottle that Diamond can unleash from time to time.

Many students from Montclair High School have enrolled at various HBCU and they, upon graduation, have spoken about the same attributes your work colleague does: definite sense of place, spirit and mission. Very all-for-one. Let's hope it works for Diamond.
I remember seeing a game of she playing against Olivia Miles and it was "can you top this" every possession. Thrilling hoops. Maybe we'll still see it; albeit in the NCAA postseason.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Also for @oldude :

Johnson thinks she can do both at Norfolk State: enjoy the fit and still pursue her WNBA dream.
Apparently, the 20-win Norfolk State hoops team was very defensive-minded, so perhaps they can use a little bit of the lightning-in-the-bottle that Diamond can unleash from time to time.

Many students from Montclair High School have enrolled at various HBCU and they, upon graduation, have spoken about the same attributes your work colleague does: definite sense of place, spirit and mission. Very all-for-one. Let's hope it works for Diamond.
I remember seeing a game of she playing against Olivia Miles and it was "can you top this" every possession. Thrilling hoops. Maybe we'll still see it; albeit in the NCAA postseason.
I don't question the motivation to go to an HBCU. As I noted previously a former Rutgers player, and a good one (Mauri Horton, I think) said that she would have gone to an HBCU if not able to play for Coach Stringer.

I will say that the Rutgers board suggests that she has "issues" that may have soured some prospective places on signing her. That may or may not be true, I do agree that apparently there were locker room issues when she left Rutgers, but who was responsible I wouldn't know, and not sure posters on a message board know either..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom