Top markets for the game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Top markets for the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You think OSU is dwarfed by TU in Oklahoma. LAffin. Do you realize TU has 5k students, and little fan interest, much like UConn. You should know about them, you will be in the same conference soon. TV partners think you are peers. You have similar fan support for FB
Well... he wrote UT...as in Texas. Which has 38K undergrads. So, uh, yeah. Good job there.

No one has any illusions about Tulsa.

Reaction Score
So, you conceded that an individual school is not worth it's conference pay out, and yet you end by saying just that for some reason.

And you're crazy if you think Oklahoma State is worth 12-17 million on the open market. Stillwater, OK is tiny, and OSU is clearly at best the second most popular school in a state the size of CT...and possibly 3rd, behind Texas.

And, if you want to talk attendance--it's apples to rocks. Let UConn bring in Oklahoma, Texas, Baylor, etc. and see then what the attendence would be.
The TV markets in Oklahoma are worth plenty, that is why we get paid so well. Make sure to tune in to the kickoff classic next year against FSU. Kinda like last year the TV partners like to put OSU in a national matchup to start the season. Last year it was in Houston against a SEC foe.

You only hope for respectable attendance is joining the B1G and letting opposing fans fill your stadium. OU, UT, etc.. are not going to fix your problem. You need the other schools fan base to fix your problem for you. You can't force people who dont' care to care bout your FB program.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Texas has no fans in Oklahoma. Not sure where you came up with that. Okies move to Texas, not the other way around.

I had heard (from a biased person) that UT had a lot of fans in OK, but your point makes more sense than his.

Reaction Score
I had heard (from a biased person) that UT had a lot of fans in OK, but your point makes more sense than his.
I doubt many kids from Oklahoma can even get in UT. Even in Texas you have to be top 10% in your HS and have excellent test scores. I'm sure it's even more difficult for non residents. After graduating few kids from UT more to OKC or Tulsa. Lots of OU and OSU kids move to Dallas and Houston after college. I think UT has a pretty big international student base as well.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
National Championships by the numbers:

Okielite:
National championships[edit]
Total – 51

• Baseball – 1 (1959)
  • Basketball – 2 (1945–46)
  • Cross Country – 4 (1954, 2009–10, 2012)
  • Golf – 10 (1963, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1995, 2000, 2006)
  • Wrestling – 34 (1928–31, 1933–35, 1937–42, 1946, 1948–49, 1954–56, 1958–59, 1961–62, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1971, 1989–90, 1994, 2003–06)
UCONN:
The University of Connecticut has won 18 NCAA national team championships. In addition, the Intercollegiate Soccer Football Association (ISFA) named the 1948 men's soccer team national champions. The NCAA did not have a tournament for men's soccer until 1959.

• Men's Basketball - 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014
  • Men's Soccer - 1948, 1981, 2000
  • Women's Basketball - 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014
  • Women's Field Hockey - 1981, 1985, 2013
Immediately take away championships from Wrestling, Soccer, Women's Field Hockey, Golf, and Cross Country because they have absolutely zero relevance on TV ratings. That leaves:

OSU - 3
UCONN - 13

When you consider OSU has one ZERO National Championships in a revenue sport since 1959 (I"m being AWFULLY generous calling baseball a revenue sport but I happen to like the College World Series), and UCONN has won 13 National Championships in revenue sports SINCE 1995, I'm completely surprised that a bottom feeder like OSU gets any money whatsoever. What kind of weight have they pulled? Take away Women's Basketball because I understand that the midwest doesn't believe in women's equality and our Men's Basketball program has one more National Championships in the past 16 years, in a revenue sport, than the entire OSU athletic department! LAffin. NOW I understand okielite's infatuation with UCONN. And since we're talking about National Championships and Football, UCONN and OSU seem to tied. LAffin.

To quote Office Space...okielite - "what exactly would you say you do here?" in terms of pulling any B12 weight whatsoever? I can keep going all day/week/month/year/decade/century, glass house baby. LAffin. Seems to me that OSU has done nothing except gotten themselves a whole mess of Sooner (and UCONN) envy. Welcome aboard the Husky Family! U-C-O-N-N! UCONN UCONN UCONN!

Dooley

Reaction Score
Your fans insulted me, I insulted back. If you can't take it, dont' dish it out. OSU has accomplished more than UConn likely ever will. We have over 50NC's compared to your 15. It' s not even close. Not to mention BCS wins, Heisman trophies, etc...

Keep insulting my school and I will point out how it compares to yours.

Keep copying my Laffin, I really think it's funny.

Oklahoma State has played in the SAME number of BCS bowls as UCONN. You won yours and we didn't. Congratulations on that. Oklahoma State has won 1 Heisman Trophy in its 100 year existence. I would think that "not even close" would be more than 1-0. Did you know that your big brothers Oklahoma has won 5 Heisman Trophies? Wow. That's not even close to you guys or us! I guess we're the same after all. Thanks okielite for pointing that out! LAffin!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
CHRIST, okie... Do you see how much you've typed? Are you that lacking for approval in real life that you seek it from other fans boards? Get a damn life.

Dooley

Reaction Score
You're really touting your schools 28 pre-Civil Rights championships?

51 championships is impressive in theory...But 34 of them are wrestling...and 23 of those 34 are all before African Americans were treated equally in this country.

Sorry, not impressed.

In the sports that matter: Football, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc., Oklahoma State has 3 championships, and none since 1959.

You want to come here and talk about what Oklahoma State is worth, and then throw out wrestling and golf and cross country? Come on man.

Sssshhhhhh...the numbers don't lie to anyone except okielite. Hey, those basketball 'ships from the 40s clearly separate their program from ours! LAffin.

Dooley

Reaction Score
CHRIST, okie... Do you see how much you've typed? Are you that lacking for approval in real life that you seek it from other fans boards? Get a damn life.

In all honesty, I had ignored his nonsense until recently when I decided he needs to be put in his place. I've just been having fun at his nonsensical expense. New game: trolling the trolls! Okielite, come on down! Any more 1940s championships that you want to boast about? How about your "not even close" 1-0 vs 0-1 BCS record or "not even close" 1-0 Heisman Trophy winners? Seems like we're all (including okielite) learning about OSU today. Maybe OSU fans ride the coattails of Oklahoma and adopt Sooner accomplishments as their own, hence the handle "okielite"? Oklahoma's lite college: OSU. Home of Wrestling dominance and a 2 basketball championships before Civil Rights! LAffin.

Reaction Score
Sssshhhhhh...the numbers don't lie to anyone except okielite. Hey, those basketball 'ships from the 40s clearly separate their program from ours! LAffin.
Another fun number: for all that OSU is way ahead of us in football, let's use some numbers. Since he loves to use numbers that may be factually accurate but are devoid of appropriate context, how about the fact that, according to Nate Silver, Oklahoma State has 719,000 fans, and UConn has 618,000. They have the 41st most fans, UConn has the 47th most, according to Silver.

And we've only been around 10 years.

Wow, those are facts. If you can't handle them...

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

Reaction Score
Why are we even comparing ourselves to Okie State? Without OU as their big brother, they might as well be Wyoming. They got zero relevance even in their own state.

Reaction Score
Another fun number: for all that OSU is way ahead of us in football, let's use some numbers. Since he loves to use numbers that may be factually accurate but are devoid of appropriate context, how about the fact that, according to Nate Silver, Oklahoma State has 719,000 fans, and UConn has 618,000. They have the 41st most fans, UConn has the 47th most, according to Silver.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/
So we have the same amount of fans but on Saturdays we have 55k-60k and you average 30k. You might want to let your fans know that they need to support the team. You only have 5k student tickets, OSU gets double that at games. If you want to compare fan support lets do it. OSU beats UConn like a drum in FB support. And we are the #2 team in the state. Pretty bad when you are the only FBS school in Connecticut and you can't even compare to the #2 team in Oklahoma. In fact your support is much closer to Tulsa than OSU. You would be a solid # 3 in Oklahoma followed closely by Tulsa. congrats.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Wow, I did not know that. But do you think these numbers are lying? You would think that a place as rich with football history as Oklahoma State would have way more fans than UCONN. It shouldn't even be close. Quite remarkable actually that UCONN is so close with number of fans in 10 years than OSU is in 100. When do you think we pass them? Probably another year or two, I'd guess. When you have more people who live in 1 city within UCONN Country that has more people in it than the entire state of Oklahoma, I'd say we've already passed them by. Considering that they didn't even have a Spring Game because of lack of interest, I'd definitely say that's the case. LAffin.

Seriously, grandfathered schools like OSU really make me mad. They haven't pulled their weight since the 1940s and yet they get money. I think OSU, Wake Forrest, Vandy, Washington State, etc are the prime examples of what is so wrong with collegiate athletics. How does an athletic department even justify itself without winning a single national championship in a revenue sport since before Civil Rights (and an unequal playing field)?? OSU makes Rutgers look like the New York Yankees! LAffin.

Reaction Score
Why are we even comparing ourselves to Okie State? Without OU as their big brother, they might as well be Wyoming. They got zero relevance even in their own state.
Yep but we are in a power conference and get paid 10x what you do. If we are so irrelevant in our own state why do we have nearly double the fan support that UConn has? LAffin.

If you want to talk about irrelevant, lets talk UConn FB. You are arguably the worst team to ever paly a BCS game. I mean seriously a 4 loss Big East champ. What a joke.

You had 17k fans for a home game last year. That is hilarious. There are high schools with better fan support than that. Talk about small time. After that there is really nothing else to say. Keep up the great work.

Dooley

Reaction Score
So we have the same amount of fans but on Saturdays we have 55k-60k and you average 30k. You might want to let your fans know that they need to support the team. You only have 5k student tickets, OSU gets double that at games. If you want to compare fan support lets do it. OSU beats UConn like a drum in FB support. And we are the #2 team in the state. Pretty bad when you are the only FBS school in Connecticut and you can't even compare to the #2 team in Oklahoma. In fact your support is much closer to Tulsa than OSU. You would be a solid # 3 in Oklahoma followed closely by Tulsa. congrats.

You might want to do the same! Did you not hold a Spring Game because of lack of interest? I mean sheesh, I know you are a distant #2 in your own state, but even Tulsa had a Spring Game. Maybe you guys are 3rd?? But hey, there's always Wrestling season to look forward I guess.

Reaction Score
I'll say this slowly:

You have a bigger stadium and you have teams like Texas, Oklahoma, and Baylor show up.

Despite your claims otherwise, UConn would have just as much as OSU if there were real teams. There were 42,000 fans in a 40,000 person stadium when Michigan came this year. And UConn sucked. So did Michigan. And many more fans would have went if they could have.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yep but we are in a power conference and get paid 10x what you do. If we are so irrelevant in our own state why do we have nearly double the fan support that UConn has? LAffin.

If you want to talk about irrelevant, lets talk UConn FB. You are arguably the worst team to ever paly a BCS game. I mean seriously a 4 loss Big East champ. What a joke.

You had 17k fans for a home game last year. That is hilarious. There are high schools with better fan support than that. Talk about small time. After that there is really nothing else to say. Keep up the great work.

Keep up the great work by driving up our internet numbers. We are so small time that you can't help yourself to pry away from our site for 5 friggin' minutes! Wow, 224 posts...and counting...about UCONN "irrelevance". I guess we know why Texas demands a higher payout than bottom feeder conference weights like OSU. No championships since 20 years before MLK. Keep up the great work! I'm sure that if you guys can win a championship in anything other than WWE wrestling, you guys can leapfrog Tulsa as the distant #2 in your own state. Well done.

Reaction Score
Wow, I did not know that. But do you think these numbers are lying? You would think that a place as rich with football history as Oklahoma State would have way more fans than UCONN. It shouldn't even be close. Quite remarkable actually that UCONN is so close with number of fans in 10 years than OSU is in 100. When do you think we pass them? Probably another year or two, I'd guess. When you have more people who live in 1 city within UCONN Country that has more people in it than the entire state of Oklahoma, I'd say we've already passed them by. Considering that they didn't even have a Spring Game because of lack of interest, I'd definitely say that's the case. LAffin.

Seriously, grandfathered schools like OSU really make me mad. They haven't pulled their weight since the 1940s and yet they get money. I think OSU, Wake Forrest, Vandy, Washington State, etc are the prime examples of what is so wrong with collegiate athletics. How does an athletic department even justify itself without winning a single national championship in a revenue sport since before Civil Rights (and an unequal playing field)?? OSU makes Rutgers look like the New York Yankees! LAffin.
We do have more fans. Loot at attendance and TV ratings. Our fans show up for games. unlike yours who only 17k managed to show up for a game last year. Compare that to our worst game at 58k.

UConn lowest attened game= 17k
next lowest game = 22k.
Total= 39k
OSU lowest attended game= 58k
next lowest = 59 k
Total= 117k

39k is about 1/3 of 117k.

UConn averages 30k for attendance, OSU averages just under 60k. Nearly double.

Thus you have about 1/3 to 1/2 the support of OSU. Keep up the good work.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'll say this slowly:

You have a bigger stadium and you have teams like Texas, Oklahoma, and Baylor show up.

Despite your claims otherwise, UConn would have just as much as OSU if there were real teams. There were 42,000 fans in a 40,000 person stadium when Michigan came this year. And UConn sucked. So did Michigan. And many more fans would have went if they could have.

You can speak at any speed, okielite is a troll and trolls need to be banned or effed with. No use trying to reason with him. He's under the impression that Oklahoma State is worthy of being paid more by being grandfathered into a P5 conference despite winning absolutely nothing since the 40s.

Reaction Score
I'll say this slowly:

No you wouldn't . Nobody in the NE gets fan support. Look at BC, look at Cuse, Look at Buffalo. It's a joke. The NE does not support CFB teams. The attendance of the local schools confirms this.

Reaction Score

You don't. I just gave you an article with facts that disproves that. You just like to ignore facts you don't like.

Reaction Score
No you wouldn't . Nobody in the NE gets fan support. Look at BC, look at Cuse, Look at Buffalo. It's a joke. The NE does not support CFB teams. The attendance of the local schools confirms this.
Oh. Wow. A MAC school, a team that plays in Upstate NY, and a Small Catholic school are the same as a flagship state university.

Didn't realize that.

Reaction Score
You can speak at any speed, okielite is a troll and trolls need to be banned or effed with. No use trying to reason with him. He's under the impression that Oklahoma State is worthy of being paid more by being grandfathered into a P5 conference despite winning absolutely nothing since the 40s.
Fact check. So as long as you dont' count national championships, Heismans, BCS games, conference championships, etc.. then you are right we have not won anything since the 40's.

Here is the truth. As you can see many are sicne the 40's which proves that Dooley is wrong, again.
Total – 51
  • Baseball – 1 (1959)
  • Basketball – 2 (1945–46)
  • Cross Country – 4 (1954, 2009–10, 2012)
  • Golf – 10 (1963, 1976, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1995, 2000, 2006)
  • Wrestling – 34 (1928–31, 1933–35, 1937–42, 1946, 1948–49, 1954–56, 1958–59, 1961–62, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1971, 1989–90, 1994, 2003–06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom