Top markets for the game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top markets for the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So if you have stellar TV ratings for FB, WBB, and BB then what do you think is holding up the move to a power conference if it 's not TV ratings?

You can't be perfect and valuable in every way yet shunned from power conferences, that makes no sense. That is what I am trying to get through to my UConn friends here. There is a reason.

I'm not sure if you dont' know or don't want to say but without a doubt there is a reason Maryland and Rutgers were added to the B1G and UConn was not. There is a reason Louisville was added to the ACC and UConn was not. Pretending that there is no reason and that the decisions were just mistakes makes little sense. Something is preventing TV partners from telling power conferences to add UConn. I just dont' know what it is.

We've answered your questions 500 times. Not our fault that you are obtuse. I mean, how dumb can yo possibly be? Right above several time I've said we don't have the profile for the B1G, and you come back and ask me why do i believe we have the profile for the B1G. You're bizarre.

Reaction Score
"The ACC first targeted Syracuse, then UConn. But Boston College had major objections to UConn, stemming from BC's move from the Big East to the ACC in 2005, some nasty comments and a lawsuit.
BC athletics director Gene DeFilippo seemingly confirmed what many had been reporting/presuming over the past month -- that BC blocked UConn from receiving an invite to the ACC.

"We didn't want them in,'' DeFilippo told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.''

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...llege-athletic-director-gene-defilippo-espn/1
At least you're going down swinging.

You really think 1 tiny private and fairly worthless to a TV contract school decided if UConn was going to join the ACC? That could be right but I have no idea. If true that is crazy for schools like FSU and UNC to allow BC to determine the membership of the conference. It seems like if all the other ACC schools voted for UConn and TV partners were wanting UConn that the deal would have gone through and BC would have been outvoted. I have a hard time believing that BC controls the ACC in that way.

Reaction Score
So if you have stellar TV ratings for FB, WBB, and BB then what do you think is holding up the move to a power conference if it 's not TV ratings?

You can't be perfect and valuable in every way yet shunned from power conferences, that makes no sense. That is what I am trying to get through to my UConn friends here. There is a reason.

I'm not sure if you dont' know or don't want to say but without a doubt there is a reason Maryland and Rutgers were added to the B1G and UConn was not. There is a reason Louisville was added to the ACC and UConn was not. Pretending that there is no reason and that the decisions were just mistakes makes little sense. Something is preventing TV partners from telling power conferences to add UConn. I just dont' know what it is.

It's like this there is a "school that must not be named" which is irrelevant in all sports but hockey located in a Boston suburb. This irrelevant school just happens to be good at one thing, keeping UConn out of the ACC and other P5 conferences. They have compromising pictures of all P5 commissioners taken at conventions over the years and lots of pictures of P5 school AD's acting badly. The threat of using them has been enough to offset the huge "value" of UConn's brand and markets. Add to that the fact that ESPN wants to kill the flagship school of the state in which they have their HQ and thousands of employees out of pure spite, and you have all the answer you need.

At least that is what many here on the BY seem to argue.

Reaction Score
We've answered your questions 500 times. Not our fault that you are obtuse. I mean, how dumb can yo possibly be? Right above several time I've said we don't have the profile for the B1G, and you come back and ask me why do i believe we have the profile for the B1G. You're bizarre.

Personal smack talk #2. Predictable response from sensitive posters. Just focus on the topc and not personal insults. It's not necessary. If you dont' have something nice to say, then dont' say it. No reason to go all white trash with insults like you did.

So from what I understand BC blocked you from the ACC. Which seems crazy to me.
And you dont' have a B1G profile which you think is holding them back from adding you. Are you referring to AAU status, research $, non athletic issues, or other athletic issues?
Then what do you think prevented the Big 12 from adding UConn?
I think we can use location as the reason the SEC or PAC would not add UConn.

Reaction Score
Personal smack talk #2. Predictable response from sensitive posters. Just focus on the topc and not personal insults. It's not necessary. If you dont' have something nice to say, then dont' say it. No reason to go all white trash with insults like you did.

So from what I understand BC blocked you from the ACC. Which seems crazy to me.
And you dont' have a B1G profile which you think is holding them back from adding you. Are you referring to AAU status, research $, non athletic issues, or other athletic issues?
Then what do you think prevented the Big 12 from adding UConn?
I think we can use location as the reason the SEC or PAC would not add UConn.

You go out of your way, absolutely as far out of your way as possible, to ignore my answers and stick to your negative narrative of UConn. Do you honestly think you deserve more respect? Look in the mirror.

Reaction Score
It's like this there is a "school that must not be named" which is irrelevant in all sports but hockey located in a Boston suburb. This irrelevant school just happens to be good at one thing, keeping UConn out of the ACC and other P5 conferences. They have compromising pictures of all P5 commissioners taken at conventions over the years and lots of pictures of P5 school AD's acting badly. The threat of using them has been enough to offset the huge "value" of UConn's brand and markets. Add to that the fact that ESPN wants to kill the flagship school of the state in which they have their HQ and thousands of employees out of pure spite, and you have all the answer you need.

At least that is what many here on the BY seem to argue.
Yes it is. That is why I dont' understand the situation because it makes no logical sense to me the way I read it on BY. Your ESPN comments are exactly what I am talking about.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Having lived briefly in Cincinnati, I can tell you that Kentucky fans totally dominate in that part of the state of Kentucky which is just over the river from Cincy.

The ratings in Louisville and Cincy are entirely driven by Kentucky fans.

Kentucky basketball is a religion down there - it's more than a little bit impressive.

Reaction Score
Please understand I am simply trying to understand what the issue is that's holding UConn back.

Not being a major football team in the 1950s.

Realistically, that's the biggest thing. We're not a blueblood. Sure, in basketball we've clawed our way up to being thought of that way, in the sense that *based on nothing proven* we can score a top 25 in preseason rankings in basketball during a lot of years.

But the perception has persisted that we are not a *proven* successful product that will persist over multiple generations. The big question for UConn basketball, at least up until this year, has always been "What will happen when Calhoun/Geno goes?"

What needs to change to cause power conference school presidents to want to add UConn?

Apart from going back in time and changing history to start playing major football in the 1940s?

Nothing we aren't already doing. Except that still won't get us anywhere on our own, because right now the biggest roadblock is that nobody wants to expand just for one team.

Reaction Score
You go out of your way, absolutely as far out of your way as possible, to ignore my answers and stick to your negative narrative of UConn. Do you honestly think you deserve more respect? Look in the mirror.
Look. If you can't handle the topic then dont' respond.

Your insults toward me only make you look bad. I'm not ignoring anything and I 'm not being negative about UConn. Your sensitive and fragile ego won't let you act like an adult because you already have your mind made up that I am anti UConn, which I am absolutely not. I want the Big 12 to add UConn yesterday but for some reason they have not. That is why I am trying to understand what the reasons are that UConn has been passed over for the B1g, ACC, and Big 12. Yes there are reasons, even if you dont' want to believe it.

Member's form the Big 12 got together and decided to add TVU and WVU but not add UConn, I'd like to know what the issue was. Members form the ACC got together and added Louisville even though they are not a state flagship and have much lower academics than the existing ACC members. Why? Members of the B1G got together and added Maryland, Rutgers, and Nebraska. But no UConn. What was their reasoning for skipping UConn? Do you think Nebraska fits the B1Gprofile?

Reaction Score
Yes it is. That is why I dont' understand the situation because it makes no logical sense to me the way I read it on BY. Your ESPN comments are exactly what I am talking about.

Your search for logic is wasted. I'm sure that if you looked at the population of ESPN employees with children in college, the number attending UConn is probably greater that any other school. Never the less the irrational hate for UConn in Bristol continues. I guess it must be because all of the children of top management attend school at UConn's enemies.

Reaction Score
Your search for logic is wasted. I'm sure that if you looked at the population of ESPN employees with children in college, the number attending UConn is probably greater that any other school. Never the less the irrational hate for UConn in Bristol continues. I guess it must be because all of the children of top management attend school at UConn's enemies.
Yea to think that a company with HQ in Connecticut, piles of tax breaks from the state of Connecticut, full of UConn graduates is purposely holding UConn back from getting in a power conference and going out of their way to underpay the AAC TV contract to hold UConn down makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Yea to think that a company with HQ in Connecticut, piles of tax breaks from the state of Connecticut, full of UConn graduates is purposely holding UConn back from getting in a power conference and going out of their way to underpay the AAC TV contract to hold UConn down makes no sense.

On a serious note, I take it from your handle that you may be from OK? If so you may not understand the residual " inferiority complex" that remains among some people regarding state schools in New England. For generations it was assumed that one went to a state school because they could not get into a private school. Even if no longer the case this generations old scar continues to cause some people to see the world differently than they might if raised in another part of the US.

Reaction Score
Not being a major football team in the 1950s.

Realistically, that's the biggest thing. We're not a blueblood. Sure, in basketball we've clawed our way up to being thought of that way, in the sense that *based on nothing proven* we can score a top 25 in preseason rankings in basketball during a lot of years.

But the perception has persisted that we are not a *proven* successful product that will persist over multiple generations. The big question for UConn basketball, at least up until this year, has always been "What will happen when Calhoun/Geno goes?"

Apart from going back in time and changing history to start playing major football in the 1940s?

Nothing we aren't already doing. Except that still won't get us anywhere on our own, because right now the biggest roadblock is that nobody wants to expand just for one team.

That seems somewhat logical although there are some fairly new FB programs that have managed to gain momentum. Boise is a good example of a successful FB program that has only been around a short while but has national appeal. Heck if they were anything more than a glorified community college the PAC or Big 12 would have already added them. I think that following their model for a FB program might work for UConn. Boise literally jumped up to FBS in the mid 90's so they are similar to UConn in age although they had a really successful program before they made the jump and I am not sure what kind of history UConn had before the jump to FBS.

I'm just not sure that I believe the Big 12 was sitting around a table and decided to go with WVU because they played FB in the 50's. I do think that FB TV ratings are likely a criteria where WVU would beat UConn. When you think about it that is literally about the only advantage WVU probably has over UConn. All the other TV markets, academics, state population, TV ratings for WBB, etc.. UConn is ahead in. I think for the Big 12 the national appeal or TV ratings a school has in FB are the most important factor.

I think a whole lot of those questions were answered with the NC's this year. Hopefully this will fix some of that doubt.

What is UConn doing to increase attendance and TV ratings for FB games?
Promotions to get more people to buy season tickets, attend more games, bussing students from campus to the games, scheduling bigger OOC matchups to get better TV ratings, etc..

Reaction Score
You really think 1 tiny private and fairly worthless to a TV contract school decided if UConn was going to join the ACC? That could be right but I have no idea. If true that is crazy for schools like FSU and UNC to allow BC to determine the membership of the conference. It seems like if all the other ACC schools voted for UConn and TV partners were wanting UConn that the deal would have gone through and BC would have been outvoted. I have a hard time believing that BC controls the ACC in that way.

If I remember correctly, BC was on the small committee tasked with bringing to the larger conference membership the candidates for inclusion. BC put up a stink there, and so UConn's name didn't get past that committee stage, and so UConn was never up for vote in front of the conference as a whole

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, BC was on the small committee tasked with bringing to the larger conference membership the candidates for inclusion. BC put up a stink there, and so UConn's name didn't get past that committee stage, and so UConn was never up for vote in front of the conference as a whole
Are you talking recently or many years ago?

I thought we were talking about this latest round of realignment. I didn't realize BC had anything to do with that.

Reaction Score
When they added Syracuse/Pitt which is what the person you were replying to had quoted as far as BC's AD comments to the media about preventing UConn, I'm not entirely sure of the dynamic of the voting in the Lville addition

Reaction Score

You realize you are being trolled right? It is impossible to conduct a conversation with someone who's mind is already made up.

He arrives under the auspices of maybe you can convince me otherwise. It's like trying to have an objective conversation with Bucaineer about whether The Big 12-2 is the most stable conference or not. It can't be done. He'll ignore whatever info you provide him, and when you react to his game and insult him, he'll chastise you for doing so. Save your effort for something more productive, like trying to teach a monkey to play the piano.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

We need a couple of Helms banners to point to. Somebody get tcf15 on that pronto!

Reaction Score
Fishy, make it stop..... please.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You realize you are being trolled right? It is impossible to conduct a conversation with someone who's mind is already made up.

He arrives under the auspices of maybe you can convince me otherwise. It's like trying to have an objective conversation with Bucaineer about whether The Big 12-2 is the most stable conference or not. It can't be done. He'll ignore whatever info you provide him, and when you react to his game and insult him, he'll chastise you for doing so. Save your effort for something more productive, like trying to teach a monkey to play the piano.

1000x this. This okie kid follows the same predictable schtick in every thread:

1. find some random piece of data from any point in the past 1-100 years devaluing UCONN;
2. make a batted eye "oh gee shucks, I am a bit surprised at this" comment to set the trap;
3. ignore points made to him/him and divert the conversation down other paths that have nothing to do with his original useless point;
4. as we grow frustrated with his/her antics, he/she plays the predictable poor victim card "there's no need to call me names";
5. proceeds to then insult the person he/she is responding to while getting in a few more jabs against UCONN;
6. rinse and repeat

Reaction Score
It's like this there is a "school that must not be named" which is irrelevant in all sports but hockey located in a Boston suburb. This irrelevant school just happens to be good at one thing, keeping UConn out of the ACC and other P5 conferences.

BC not only has enormous power and influence in the ACC to prevail upon the other dozen ACC schools to block Uconn to the ACC, but they also have the ability to prevail upon the BIG schools, as well as all the other P5 conference schools to block Uconn to their leagues too ? Did I read this right ? Just want to be certain it isn't a typo or whatever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There is no select " small committee " in the ACC that makes decisions for the larger membership of which candidate schools will come up for discussion, debate, then a vote by the larger membership for an invite. No schools in the ACC delegate such an all encompassing important decision to any " small committee " in their league. Its made by all the member schools., and its made with imput from 3rd parties such as TV advertisers, and TV researchers. While its undeniably true that the former AD of BC did not want UCONN in the ACC, the notion that he was selected by long time members at large in the ACC to be on a " small commitee " with the unilateral influence and power to exclude Uconn from a consideration and vote by all the ACC schools at large... some of whom are founding members of the ACC, and have been in the ACC for decades, and long before BC's admittance... is simply preposterous. There are reasons to hate schools. And BC's pettiness with Uconn is one of them, but there is not much value in creating storylines that simply are fantasical and requires a suspension of simple common sense in order to fuel the flames of discord further.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Syracuse and UConn where initially targeted for expansion by the ACC. However, BC played a role in getting Pitt selected over UConn. This is pretty well documented. Even a moron should be able to Google it. Efforts by BC (hardly the ACC power broker) were aided by another factor. The ACC was pitted in a battle for survival against the Big 12, which had just lost, or was in the process of losing, 1/3 of their conference. Some in the ACC believed that Pitt could have been taken by the Big 12, especially following the exit of Syracuse and UConn. Additionally, there was a prevailing consensus that UConn was an unlikely target for the Big 12 and Big Ten to kick off their Eastern expansion.

Following Maryland's announcement to exit the conference, the ACC was once again in survival mode. While UConn had support from Tobacco Road and academic-centric institutions, the football-centric schools led by FSU and Clemson, wanted to counter-balance Tobacco Road's influence (shades of the BE here) and the incursion of Northern schools, and pushed for inclusion of Louisville. Remember, the GOR was still several month's away and the conference needed football credibility (real or perceived) more than they needed top academic schools. Many in the conference felt they needed to appease FSU and Clemson, who had both publicly stated that they would review all options when it came to CR. Their departure would have been, and still would be, a devastating blow to the ACC. The fact that Louisville was the other "finalist" for Big 12 expansion (losing out to West Virginia) helped add momentum to their selection.

UConn getting passed over had more to do with timing, geography, politics, ignorance, population, NCAA bias, short-sighted defense of turf, and to a certain degree, football. It had nothing to do with athletic, academic and research excellence. UConn will continue to compete for national championships, grow our fan base, rise in academic rankings, dominate NYC, and forge ahead with its multibillion dollar research endeavors. The B1G and ACC can either sit back and watch it unfold or they can decide to be a part of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm not sure if you dont' know or don't want to say but without a doubt there is a reason Maryland and Rutgers were added to the B1G and UConn was not. There is a reason Louisville was added to the ACC and UConn was not. Pretending that there is no reason and that the decisions were just mistakes makes little sense. Something is preventing TV partners from telling power conferences to add UConn. I just don't' know what it is.
You do know that not all things are equal? The reasons for not getting invited into the Big vs ACC are much different. Plus, the ACC appeared to send out the message, to UConn ....just wait wait til next time, next time you'll be picked. But now we just feel as though they said that and were snickering like some punk kid at a dance.

The Big, UConn does not feel shunned by the "Big" - or at least from what I see here most don't seem to feel that way. The Big invited Rutgers because of their AAU and their NYC market influence. UConn which likely has as much or more on NYC does not have AAU status. We accept that and we accept Rutgers getting in...even though we think we are the better overall program considering athletics and our top 20 ranking as a state university.

Also, you make it sound like everything in life just works out, the good guys win and the bad guys go to jail. Well this is the real world, and sometimes bad things happen to good people. So before you bust your brain cell wide open, understand what we collectively are telling you. No one here knows exactly how this will play out, but certainly we need to win, we need to show that our football team has changed course and is now on a correct successful path. But please stop trying to play neutral on a UConn fan board, when in truth the ACC snubbed us not once not twice but how many times??? We could still be getting snubbed but only now the administration at UConn is keeping tight lipped about any realignment news.

Oh and o reiterate one more point, when did we start pushing for a BIG invite or more importantly letting the BIG know that we are interested in their conference? Hint, sometime after the ACC took UofL and after the Big took Rutgers. Since that time look at the accolades UConn is using with the Big sharing our spotlight with their flagship schools. And now, now we have more ND posters here than ever. And It is my opinion that they are here because they hate anything that might support UM. Well, UM came to the RENT and we had to play at ND. We beat ND in their home stadium! We lost to UM at the Rent. But guess what, that Michigan game meant more to CT than beating ND....of course you have to look at from purely money and at the end of the day isn't that what realignment is all about? I would gladly take UM paying Rent (a visit) than listening to more empty promises from Judas - ND

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, all conference realignment is governed by two motivations. Self preservation and greed. UCONN is an unfortunate casualty of The ACC's desperate actions motivated out of self preservation.

The original Big East Raid aimed to bolster ACC Football and to try to plant a flag in The Northeast. Even though they knew they needed to add football, they desired to initially grab more Bball teams. VA state politics scuttled that.

The final raids on The Big East were orchestrated by ESPN and it's property The ACC in order to drive a final stake through the conference's heart. ESPN knew that they could buy back what was left of The Big East for pennies on the dollar.

The ACC also acted to weaken The Big 12,who may have been targeting both Pitt and Louisville as options for an Eastern expansion. The ACC assumed UCONN was off the table for The Big 12, thus there was no immediate need to act on The Huskies.

The B1g's motivation for realignment is completely different. It acts solely out of the desire to make more money and bolster its brand. People keep getting hung up on the current state of both Rutgers and UMD's Athletic Depts. It didn't matter to Delany. He knows that programs can be built with money, what he was buying was real estate. His additions bring The BTN into NJ and MD in a much bigger way, while depositing the conference on the doorstep of two of the richest and most important cities on the planet.

In order to capitalize on this new geography, not to mention negotiate a ridiculous new media deal in 2 years he needs 2 more schools. One has always been on his radar, and may have flirted with him in the past. The other is coming on incredibly strong, and is attractive by so many metrics that AAU Status should not be an obstacle that can't be overcome. Delany is waiting on the outcome of a particular court case. If it is resolved in his favor, all Hell could break loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom