Top markets for the game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top markets for the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I appraciate the responses. I think I am getting a better understanding of what likely casued these teams to get the nod over UConn. It's interesting that for each school it's usually only a couople of criteria that UConn does not beat the other school in. UConn seems to be a better package than Rutgers but they have more population and better academic research$ and AAU. UConn beats WVU is just about every category except for football related support, fan interest, and national appeal. UConn beats Louisville in just about everyhing except FB success and that is pretty close as well, but Louisville had a great season at the right time and was able to get the invite even though UConn fits the ACC profile much better especially academically. UConn compares favorably to Nebraska except for 3 things, Football, total fan support, and national interest.

Sometimes it is hard to dig through all the BS and figure out what really hapened. CFB fans are really good at spinning things and completely avoiding other things that are important becacue they don't like the realuty of the situation or what the data indicates. I think the Notre Dame fans recollection of what has gone on is a good example. Another thing that people really hate to discuss is the value of thier own team. We will put a nuber on an opposing team in a flash but when it comes to our own we seem to inflate the value or comepletly avoid the topic when asked. Same deal with conference payouts. On this board I have been told the AAC payout was 2 million and other said it was 5 million. Heck some folks said that UConn gets 2 million from womens BB rights it sells. I thought all the AAC content was sold to ESPN and the teams had no content. Anotehr UConn poster said that you didn't even have rights to your own practive game. It's really difficult to sift through the crap and get the facts straight. See post #47. Your own fans questions thsi stuff but you don't seem to mind but act like I am some kind of troll becasue I don't believe ESPN and BC are the reason UConn is not in a power confernece.

Please don't compare me to Bucaineer. You are correct that he is impossible to have a discussion with and will come up with all kinds of carzy stuff when it coems to discussing conference stability. He does not understand what a biased opinion he has and comes off poorly. Fortunately only a few WVU posters ahve his opinion of the conference. Please don't jusdge us all based on his actions.

Sometimes whan bogus answers are given I have a hard time believeing. See the comments from your own fans about BC And ESPN. He basically pointed out why the claims made did not make sense but for some reason nobody jumped on him. But they did start with all the trolling comments toward me. Funny how some people can't handle to have a conversation. If all you want to do is play the victim and talk about how dumb all these conferences are for not adding UConn then fine but don't feel like you have the right ot go tell anybody who whats to discuss a different point of view to shut up, or isnulting them with childish name calling. If you believe it or not there are resons that other schools got picked above UConn, figuring out what thsoe are so they can imporeve is a much better strategy than preteding the reasons don't exists and the picking was done based off being blackballed by BC or not having football in the 50's or becasue of an ESPN agenda, instead of legitimate and realistic reasons that actually make sense.

I was amazed at the treatment you gave your own fan for suggesting a Big East membership with football indy could be an option. He is right. It could be an option and with the way things have gone so far you might as well hav every option available to consider. Heck if the Big 12 breaks up OSU might be looking for an AAC membership. Might as well have all your options covered.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 10 highest rated markets for last night's game
1 Louisville 46.3
2 Hartford-New Haven 32.4
3 Cincinnati 28.2
4 Dayton 22.8
5 Columbus, OH 21.5
6 Memphis 21.2
7 Indianapolis 20.7
8 Nashville 19.9
9 Knoxville 18.6
10 Raleigh-Durham 18.4

For years now we've debated why Louisville is the top market in college basketball. Now, Louisville compared to many markets is actually pretty small, but the ratings for bball are high. Why? I have no doubt a lot of Cardinal fans watched the national championship, but when you look at those Ohio numbers alongside the Ville number, the only conclusion I can draw is that Wildcat nation is huge and watches TV. This goes to show that much of the popularity of college bball in Ville is due to UK fans.

Are you saying that Kentucky fans are so numerous and so dedicated in the Louisville TV market that they acheives this, but that the Kentucky fans in the Lexington TV market care so much less?

If Kentucky fans are responsible for all that college basketball watching in Louisville, why don't Wildcat fans do the same in Lexington?

You do know that Lexington is its own TV market? Or do you think Lexington is in the Louisville market?

You do know that Louisville fans will watch Kentucky to cheer for their opponent?

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, all conference realignment is governed by two motivations. Self preservation and greed. UCONN is an unfortunate casualty of The ACC's desperate actions motivated out of self preservation.

The original Big East Raid aimed to bolster ACC Football and to try to plant a flag in The Northeast. Even though they knew they needed to add football, they desired to initially grab more Bball teams. VA state politics scuttled that.

The final raids on The Big East were orchestrated by ESPN and it's property The ACC in order to drive a final stake through the conference's heart. ESPN knew that they could buy back what was left of The Big East for pennies on the dollar.

The ACC also acted to weaken The Big 12,who may have been targeting both Pitt and Louisville as options for an Eastern expansion. The ACC assumed UCONN was off the table for The Big 12, thus there was no immediate need to act on The Huskies.

The B1g's motivation for realignment is completely different. It acts solely out of the desire to make more money and bolster its brand. People keep getting hung up on the current state of both Rutgers and UMD's Athletic Depts. It didn't matter to Delany. He knows that programs can be built with money, what he was buying was real estate. His additions bring The BTN into NJ and MD in a much bigger way, while depositing the conference on the doorstep of two of the richest and most important cities on the planet.

In order to capitalize on this new geography, not to mention negotiate a ridiculous new media deal in 2 years he needs 2 more schools. One has always been on his radar, and may have flirted with him in the past. The other is coming on incredibly strong, and is attractive by so many metrics that AAU Status should not be an obstacle that can't be overcome. Delany is waiting on the outcome of a particular court case. If it is resolved in his favor, all Hell could break loose.

We're not coming. Think Kansas and Iowa State. UConn will come if invited. Most here want to.

I know what Delaney's strategy is, but those schools have been in those markets close to those cities forever and in other leagues, and they didn't produce the gravy then. It's going to be interesting to see if Delany can pull off a stunt like the movie "Trading Places" and turn one or the other from Rags to Ritches overnight. I'd put better odds on Penn State winning the NCAA men's basketball championship first. But anything can happen.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that Kentucky fans are so numerous and so dedicated in the Louisville TV market that they acheives this, but that the Kentucky fans in the Lexington TV market care so much less?

If Kentucky fans are responsible for all that college basketball watching in Louisville, why don't Wildcat fans do the same in Lexington?

You do know that Lexington is its own TV market? Or do you think Lexington is in the Louisville market?

You do know that Louisville fans will watch Kentucky to cheer for their opponent?

Lexington is not a major market. It's outside the top 50, it's just ahead of Paducah!

Reaction Score
We're not coming. Think Kansas and Iowa State. UConn will come if invited. Most here want to.

I know what Delaney's strategy is, but those schools have been in those markets close to those cities forever and in other leagues, and they didn't produce the gravy then. It's going to be interesting to see if Delany can pull off a stunt like the movie "Trading Places" and turn one or the other from Rags to Ritches overnight. I'd put better odds on Penn State winning the NCAA men's basketball championship first. But anything can happen.

He has no such plan. Delaney and the men who run the BUG are happy with Rutgers and Maryland remaining losers, as long and Meatchicken and Blohio State gain from their presence. The plan is to get the DC and NYC Tv markets to pay top dollar to the BTN, with hopefully more top recruits from NJ and MD/DC going to the Big 2 of the BUG.

Reaction Score
Lexington is not a major market. It's outside the top 50, it's just ahead of Paducah!

This list has Louisville as the #50 and Lexington as the 63. It has Dayton as #64.

The difference in size between the Louisville and Lexington TV markets is about 150,000 people.

So if Dayton is on that list that you quoted to start this thread, why isn't Lexington?

Reaction Score

Really with the digs? Lets keep discussion above board. As for what you propose, you know that it is a complete non starter. ISU has zero chance to join the B1G under the current model. If it were 1950, and no one made money of off televising college sports then maybe. They would be a close train ride for many of the conference's teams. Kansas? They certainly move the needle, but if Delany truly wanted them he could have moved on them when he took UNL. IMO barring Texas or ND picking up the phone to join no strings attached, his eyes will remain firmly on the East. I realize that you don't like the idea, but until there is a 16 or 20 Team B1G Conference, w/o UVA involved, they will remain a candidate. Scratch that, THE candidate.

Reaction Score
This list has Louisville as the #50 and Lexington as the 63. It has Dayton as #64.

The difference in size between the Louisville and Lexington TV markets is about 150,000 people.

So if Dayton is on that list that you quoted to start this thread, why isn't Lexington?

It was a top 50 list.

Reaction Score
He
It was a top 50 list.
Upstater, you really need to be clearer that it was a top 50 list.
Typing "Lexington is not a major market It's outside the top 50" is kinda vague.

Reaction Score
Really with the digs? Lets keep discussion above board. As for what you propose, you know that it is a complete non starter. ISU has zero chance to join the B1G under the current model. If it were 1950, and no one made money of off televising college sports then maybe. They would be a close train ride for many of the conference's teams. Kansas? They certainly move the needle, but if Delany truly wanted them he could have moved on them when he took UNL. IMO barring Texas or ND picking up the phone to join no strings attached, his eyes will remain firmly on the East. I realize that you don't like the idea, but until there is a 16 or 20 Team B1G Conference, w/o UVA involved, they will remain a candidate. Scratch that, THE candidate.

Virginia is a candidate only because we're in the next state over. The B1G needs to get over that. You don't leave a league in one of the fastest growing regions of the country to run off to one in the country's rust belt and corn fields. It makes no sense whatsoever, BTN or not. And if Big Ten schools want access to the region for athletes and students, they get out of that league and join one in the region like Notre Dame has done. That's just my opinion, and we've discussed it before. Virginia has looked into this briefly and decided to stay where they are.

Reaction Score
Top 10 highest rated markets for last night's game
1 Louisville 46.3
2 Hartford-New Haven 32.4
3 Cincinnati 28.2
4 Dayton 22.8
5 Columbus, OH 21.5
6 Memphis 21.2
7 Indianapolis 20.7
8 Nashville 19.9
9 Knoxville 18.6
10 Raleigh-Durham 18.4

For years now we've debated why Louisville is the top market in college basketball. Now, Louisville compared to many markets is actually pretty small, but the ratings for bball are high. Why? I have no doubt a lot of Cardinal fans watched the national championship, but when you look at those Ohio numbers alongside the Ville number, the only conclusion I can draw is that Wildcat nation is huge and watches TV. This goes to show that much of the popularity of college bball in Ville is due to UK fans.

You know they say Kentuckiana, but I say Ohiotuckiana. This has got to be the only part of the country where the BIG and SEC are actually quite interconnected & have been for decades. The greater Ohio River Valley, my opinion & I'd like to see a valid counterargument, is the best high-college basketball region in the country. The fact that his region is so split along conference affiliation lines, I believe diminishes the amazing basketball in this region. It's an understated story worthy of an ESPN 30/30.

Reaction Score
He has no such plan. Delaney and the men who run the BUG are happy with Rutgers and Maryland remaining losers, as long and Meatchicken and Blohio State gain from their presence. The plan is to get the DC and NYC Tv markets to pay top dollar to the BTN, with hopefully more top recruits from NJ and MD/DC going to the Big 2 of the BUG.

Question for you. Why is it that a number of ACC posters on this board, but especially yourself, are incapable of posting a message without including a shot at the Big Ten in some fashion? Is the thought that, by insulting the Big Ten over and over again, our UConn hosts will suddenly think "wow thanks for that; we better dodge that bullet no matter what and hold out for the invitation to the ACC"? Let us discuss the ACC then; the conference that has rejected UConn on multiple occasions and is unlikely to offer an invitation until Notre Dame is willing to join as the 15th full time school which you know is likely never to happen.

Reaction Score
Virginia is a candidate only because we're in the next state over. The B1G needs to get over that. Obviously it's why they are a candidate. If UVA was geographically situated in the deep South or Pacific Northwest they would be a non starter regardless of their academics.

You don't leave a league in one of the fastest growing regions of the country to run off to one in the country's rust belt and corn fields. You say this, but it rings hollow to me. You would either be in a pod with Mid Atlantic Schools like UMD, RU and PSU or in an East with those three, maybe UCONN, and big name programs like UM and OSU. Oh and you would still be in Virginia for 6-8 Home Games a year. How is going to Syracuse, Pitt, or BC worse? I've been to all three and the game day environments are um...

It makes no sense whatsoever, BTN or not. And if Big Ten schools want access to the region for athletes and students, they get out of that league and join one in the region like Notre Dame has done. Obviously you are referencing my team as UMD and RU have yet to play a game in The B1G. No other school in the B1G would even entertain the idea. The percentage of our own fan base that would be in favor of such a move dwindles every year. You can't please everyone so why try? We have fans who throw around the idea of going independent again, as if that would even be possible in 2014.

PSU can recruit the Mid Atlantic right from where they are located, w/o having to give up the benefits of B1G Memberships. Coach Franklin is killing it on the recruiting trail, currently sporting the #1 Class in America. As for the rest of our AD we do fine thanks. We added another 3 National Titles over the last season, and currently sit second in The Director's Cup. Right or wrong The ACC is viewed as a Bball first conference. We are not a basketball school. Never will be, as the interest from our fan base is not strong enough to force the AD to do what would be necessary to bring a big winner to SC. We would be happy with a little better performance year to year, with an occasional run in the tournament when we had a senior laden team.

That's just my opinion, and we've discussed it before. Virginia has looked into this briefly and decided to stay where they are.
Look I get that UVA has decades of tradition in The ACC, and in a perfect world would want to stay and continue to build the conference. That said it is 2014 and we all know that we are not in a perfect world. As long as the B1G sits at 14, and as long as their upcoming contract negotiations loom, UVA will remain a potential candidate. What if 2 years go by and The ACC is no closer to landing a TV Network? What happens if UMD gets off for way below the 52 mil The ACC is asking? What if other schools get nervous and start looking around? Would UVA leadership be proactive and make a move, or would they be reactive and stay in whatever the ACC potentially could become? I'm not an insider, but I have some contacts. I believe UVA was and remains a candidate. Not saying anything ever comes of it, but as of now Delany has not moved on from the idea.

Reaction Score
He

Upstater, you really need to be clearer that it was a top 50 list.
Typing "Lexington is not a major market It's outside the top 50" is kinda vague.

OK. I thought that was pretty specific, but whatever.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
okielite said:
I have no idea if BC blackballed you from the ACC. Do you have any proof of this? Do you think that is the only thing that prevented the ACC from adding you?
I find it somewhat hard to believe that TV partners and all the members of the ACC wanted to add you but BC voted no and shut the whole deal down. I have a hard time believing that BC has that much power in the ACC. I have a hard time believing that 1 fairly unimportant school can decide who the conference adds. But I could be wrong.

What about the B1G? Did a school blackball you there too? What do you think is holding them back?

For a guy who self admittedly doesn't know much, you seem to talk a lot.

Reaction Score
For a guy who self admittedly doesn't know much, you seem to talk a lot.
Thanks for your contribution to the conversation. Try focusing less on me and more on the topic. I noticed you didn't answer any of the questions. Keep up the great work.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
okielite said:
Thanks for your contribution to the conversation. Try focusing less on me and more on the topic. I noticed you didn't answer any of the questions. Keep up the great work.

You have a hard time accepting known facts, which makes having a conversation with you difficult. Your "questions" have been answered and cited on this site about a thousand times.

To continually come on here and pester this board with nonsense makes you either a troll, a 14 year old, or both.

Reaction Score
You have a hard time accepting known facts, which makes having a conversation with you difficult. Your "questions" have been answered and cited on this site about a thousand times.

To continually come on here and pester this board with nonsense makes you either a troll, a 14 year old, or both.
Actually with the amount of misinformation on this board it is extremely difficult to get a correct answer. I have been told the AAC payout was 2 million up to 5 million. I have been told that the AAC has all the TV rights including the rights your practice games, I have also been told you get 2 million just for your WBB rights. All kinds of conspiracy theories about ESPN and BC keeping UConn out of a power conference. You guys act like you know it all and that UConn is perfect in every way and everybody is stupid for not knowing that. In reality you are not perfect, you have issues that are preventing you from getting into a power conference.

Reaction Score
Please tell me more about how the huge markets of the NE are crazy about college football. This article seems to confirm that I am right about the NE and it's interest in CFB. I think it also explains why you might not be as valuable as you think in terms of TV markets and your FB program to TV partners.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...realignment-chaos/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball1-blog480.png

In other words, on a per-capita basis, there are probably about 5 times as many football fans in Birmingham as there are in New York. So although the New York media market is about 10 times larger, it has fewer than twice as many college football fans as Birmingham.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Simple math time okie. What's more valuable: 14% of NYC or 85% of Birmingham? Hint: look at the far right column.

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-topTV-blog480.png

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You want Okie to do math?

Be careful. Calling out Okie in any way always results in some sort of victim card response, insults towards you and UCONN, and more trolling questions that, in the case above, were refuted in the SAME ARTICLE that he/she used to try to troll. Simple math and simple reading comprehension skills should have encouraged him/her to at least use a different article to try to devalue northeast college football.

Reaction Score
Simple math time okie. What's more valuable: 14% of NYC or 85% of Birmingham? Hint: look at the far right column.

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-topTV-blog480.png
Well since Alabama gets paid more than BC, UConn, or Syracuse it's pretty obvious which is worth more. Since Georgia gets paid more than the schools in NY it's pretty obvious who is worth more. Since teams from LA and DFW get paid more it's pretty obvious which markets are worth more. Do you see a pattern? If NY was worth so much the teams in that region would get paid more like they do in the other areas like Georgia, DFW, LA, etc.... If they were worth more they would get paid more, see how that works. TCU makes more than Cuse so clearly NY is not worth that much. If NY was worth much UConn would be getting paid well, unfortunately you are not. Heck there was not even a team in the NY area in a power conference until this year when Cuse was added to the ACC. That is a pretty good indicator in itself. Most of those other markets have had multiple teams in power conferences for many years.

Also look at local attendance in those markets. You will notice that there is not a team in the NY area with even respectable attendance. Compare that to the other markets and they almost all have teams who draw 60k+ to games. But not NY, see how the fans are not interested in local teams. The facts dont' lie.

I think this is something that UConn fans dont' want to admit, but deep down you know it is true. NY is not as valuable as you might think. Throw in recruiting and it really looks bad compared to places like ATL, Tampa, DFW, LA, Houston, etc... NY has a bunch of alumni from the B1G, but not fans of local football teams like Buffalo, Cuse, and UConn. Obviously BB is a different story but unfortunately BB is not even close to as valuable as FB.

Reaction Score
Be careful. Calling out Okie in any way always results in some sort of victim card response, insults towards you and UCONN, and more trolling questions that, in the case above, were refuted in the SAME ARTICLE that he/she used to try to troll. Simple math and simple reading comprehension skills should have encouraged him/her to at least use a different article to try to devalue northeast college football.
More intelligence insults. Gotta love it. BTW I have not insulted UConn even once. I probably will at some point but you probably should wait until then to make your point.

So if UConn people are so smart, and the NY market is so valuable, and UConn dominates the NY market, why is UConn not in a power conference? See how simple it is to prove you are wrong and I am right. Something does not add up with your inflated view of yourself, it's obvious to those of us looking from outside your market. The sooner you figure that out the sooner you will be able to fix your issues. Pretending they dont' exist is not helping your situation. Blaming ESPN does not help your situation. Insulting other fans will not help your situation. Those are just childish reactions.

Reaction Score
You want Okie to do math?
Yea I'm too dumb for that, LAffin.

Pretty funny to watch you act like a bunch of private school snobs. I guess you are probably just jealous of OSU. I understand. I would be too if I was in your shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom