OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When I was a boy everyone called me sonny, I guess because my folks had two girls for a long time then my father's prayer for a son was answered. I was born in 1944, ugh.

Reaction Score
SargassoC is a riff on the Jean Rhys novel, Wide Sargasso Sea. When I first chose an email address, in the late 80s/ early 90s, back when names were available without having to add numbers, I had a number of options. (My first choice was Heraclitus -- I'm Greek and was a philosophy major in college-- but back then, when AOL and CompuServe were the major commercial players in web access, the name was rejected because it violated their "offensive screen name" policy. Seriously. It took me a few minutes to figure out why.)

I wanted something literary or philosophically significant (hence Heraclitus), so I eventually settled on SargassoC because it's literary but has other meanings (i.e. the literal), and, thematically suggests that there is often more to a story than initially appears. Oh-- and that whole "madwoman in the attic" thing kind of adds another dimension.

I get called Sarg a lot, perhaps as in Sarge (sergeant). And other folks think I'm a sailer in Bermuda.

The avatar is a Greek evil eye; it wards off bad mojo and the pettiness that (sometimes) can permeate anonymous forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
No big mystery with mine. About 9 years ago, we moved to a small town, outside of Winchester, in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, in Virginia. As for my avatar, I served with the 1st Cavalry Division, many years ago, and my son is now with the 3rd Cavalry Regiment...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No big mystery with mine. About 9 years ago, we moved to a small town, outside of Winchester, in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, in Virginia. As for my avatar, I served with the 1st Cavalry Division, many years ago, and my son is now with the 3rd Cavalry Regiment...
I've heard life is old there, older than the trees.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
SargassoC is a riff on the Jean Rhys novel, Wide Sargasso Sea. When I first chose an email address, in the late 80s/ early 90s, back when names were available without having to add numbers, I had a number of options. (My first choice was Heraclitus -- I'm Greek and was a philosophy major in college-- but back then, when AOL and CompuServe were the major commercial players in web access, the name was rejected because it violated their "offensive screen name" policy. Seriously. It took me a few minutes to figure out why.)
Now if you were a guy, I could understand why. I've heard guys have all kinds of trouble figuring out stuff like that. :cool:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Pretty, pretty part of the country down there. I spent 4 years down in Charlottesville in the early 80's. Ursusminor & hubby make trips from the DC area for hiking n' camping. Hubby is also involved in the Shenandoah Mountain Rescue group that looks for lost & confused folk.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Nah, he's young and ambitious, Biff: he likes a challenge! Besides, with Ursusminor as his "Mrs.", he knows that the BY should be treated more like a sanctuary, or a zoo, rather than "free-range" ....:rolleyes:.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Named to honor the greatest scifi movie ever made: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension. My avatar is none other than the noble Buckaroo himself.

It is indeed....both your avatar and the greatest scifi movie ever made.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Every page of this tread should have at least one responsive post: I live in the Rockies...see 60+ miles of the Rocky Mountain Front off my back deck, with Sacajawea Mt smack in the middle of it. MTis an abbrev. for mountain and Montana where I live. Blue ...that needs no explanation. 2, well, 1 was taken by me about 3 hosts ago and they won't accept me owning it!

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Named to honor the greatest scifi movie ever made: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai...
I don't understand... wouldn't that make your name ForbiddenPlanet?
Forbidden Planet2.JPG

Reaction Score
Mia, therefore Alexmia. It wouldn't let me put up two pictures on the same post. Oh well, I know the folks here are smart enough to figure it out. And I just realized that you will have to click on the photos to see them in a larger size.

Attachments

• 0809091344a.jpg
    0809091344a.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 33

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Mia, therefore Alexmia. It wouldn't let me put up two pictures on the same post. Oh well, I know the folks here are smart enough to figure it out. And I just realized that you will have to click on the photos to see them in a larger size.

Just make it one photo! :)

alexmia.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member