OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As is the case with many others, mine is self-explanatory. Ditto for the avatar. Geaux Saints!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya - Why are you so into Pinot?

Miles - "Uh, I don't know, I don't know. Um, it's a hard grape to grow, as you know. Right? It's uh, it's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It's, you know, it's not a survivor like Cabernet, which can just grow anywhere and uh, thrive even when it's neglected. No, Pinot needs constant care and attention. You know? And in fact it can only grow in these really specific, little, tucked away corners of the world. And, and only the most patient and nurturing of growers can do it, really. Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot's potential can then coax it into its fullest expression. Then, I mean, oh its flavors, they're just the most haunting and brilliant and thrilling and subtle and... ancient on the planet."

Miles - No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any *&^%ing Merlot!

From the movie Sideways. Paul Giamatti at his best.
Son of former Yale and MLB President.

I'm headed to Santa Barbara in just over 2 weeks. I'll toast the bears and other BY creatures, jackalopes included.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Back in the late 80's I think when the second of the "Back to the Future" movies came out, my then young son and I had a little "disagreement". I don't remember what it was about anymore but in his fit of anger at me and the "parental position" I was taking, he called me "mean old Biff" after the "mean old Biff " character from the movie. The mean old Biff moniker stuck for awhile whenever he was unhappy with me and eventually it got shortened to "Biff". Many people know me first by that name vs my real name now. And, I kinda adopted it as my nom de Guerre for my on-line presence and my "artwork".
Ever see this?

Reaction Score
The dark ages, shortly after Peter Prudden founded the town in 1639.

Seriously, 1950-1966, plus 1968-9.
Ah, I see. I ran the family business in Milford from 1980 until August 2013, when we sold shop.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
I've enjoyed reading this thread. Though I'm new to posting on the BY, I'm not necessarily new to posting on different message boards related to WBB or WSOC, so I'd thought I'd share, too, the root of my username.

It's inspired by one of the writers who changed my life through her work: Carson McCullers. I drew from the titles of her novel "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" and her novella "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe," and came up with "lonelycafe." But I didn't want people to think I was "lonely," because I'm not, so I just dropped the second "l," and decided I'd let people try to guess for themselves if I meant "lonely" or "looney". Hence, I became "loneycafe."

Storytelling and reading and writing are some of the great obsessions in life. Another is reflected in my avatar: NC State. I'm pretty passionate about sports, too.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
But, whether Naples or Ft. M(e)yers, I like the area -- as long as there're no hurricanes in the offing. And well-placed for Husky-viewing in November.
Nice to know there are other Florida members on the boneyard.Lake Wales,here.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Love your avatar. I'm sorry you lost him/her. It is hard, like losing a member of your family.

Thanks so much. His name was Rascal, affectionately known as Rascal The Evil. He saw me through some pretty serious health challenges. I still hurts like everything.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
OC for Orange County California
Hoopsfan - no need to explain

Avatar is the West Coast Waves. They are not a team from California, or Oregon or Washington, but from the West Coast of Australia. My favorite OC WBB player, will be on the team this season and I plan on making a visit to watch a couple of games, plus visit some of the other beautiful stuff in Oz.

Reaction Score
My last name begins with B and ends with Z and when I came out of the Navy and started back at GE, my foreman who was prone to calling everyone by their last name either had issues pronouncing it (it's not that hard) or thought I had a tendency to gab a lot and I became BUZZY. After a time, there was no one there who knew my actual name so when I was ever called over the plant system, most people didn't who know who Bob was. I actually have a cousin who I hung around with for 35 years and was always Bob to until he subbed one day in a GE bowling league and from that day on, I was Buzzy to him, as well! Go figure!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
My last name begins with B and ends with Z and when I came out of the Navy and started back at GE, my foreman who was prone to calling everyone by their last name either had issues pronouncing it (it's not that hard) or thought I had a tendency to gab a lot and I became BUZZY. After a time, there was no one there who knew my actual name so when I was ever called over the plant system, most people didn't who know who Bob was. I actually have a cousin who I hung around with for 35 years and was always Bob to until he subbed one day in a GE bowling league and from that day on, I was Buzzy to him, as well! Go figure!

Thank you for your service.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
In memory of my maternal grandfather, whose title signified the passing of a historical era.
Decades and decades ago there was a New York Central Railroad. Its River division ran from Albany
to Weehawken. Grandpa sat upstairs in the Weehawken terminal tapping out the dots and dashes that
kept the trains humming. He was the wire chief.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Nice to know there are other Florida members on the boneyard.Lake Wales,here.

I'm in Sanford, the southern end of Amtrak's auto train (for whatever that's worth).

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Zorro has always been my hero, the way he was always going around righting wrongs and baffling the alcalde and stabbing folks that needed stabbing, and stuff like that, and my hair turned a whiter shade of grey a while back. And there were already too damned many bears in the 'yard. And then Mean Ol Biff made this great avatar for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Zorro has always been my hero, the way he was always going around righting wrongs and baffling the alcalde and stabbing folks that needed stabbing, and stuff like that, and my hair turned a whiter shade of grey a while back. And there were already too damned many bears in the 'yard. And then Mean Ol Biff made this great avatar for me.
You do have the best avatar...

Reaction Score
As in, it's JUST a sport, not life and death. And the boneyard is place for appreciation of a beautiful sport and some friendly ribbing.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Alex, thanks for starting this thread. It's been fun over the years trying to figure out folks' handles.

Between college and graduate school, I was a taxi driver in Brookline/Boston - 191 was the number of my cab. Sort of like Dickens' Tale of Two Cities - both the best and worst of times - but overall, a really great experience.

The avatar is a photograph of a Maya Moore bobblehead the Lynx were giving out to fans her rookie season.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In memory of my maternal grandfather, whose title signified the passing of a historical era.
Decades and decades ago there was a New York Central Railroad. Its River division ran from Albany
to Weehawken. Grandpa sat upstairs in the Weehawken terminal tapping out the dots and dashes that
kept the trains humming. He was the wire chief.
One of my Great-Grandfathers worked on the railroad, in one of the control towers (Aldene was the name, there is still an automated marked box on NJ Transit's Raritan Valley Line labeled Aldene, near but not exactly at where the old tower stood). He died walking home from work one night from a heart attack

Reaction Score
RSHERMVIKES is a combo of my nickname RSHERM and VIKES for the EAST LYME HS VIKINGS where I coached the Wrestling team for 30 years! Originally from the Bronx, NY (the Grand Concourse near Tremont Ave.) Went to a Southern Baptist school, Will iam Jewell College in Liberty, MO 1965-1969 (home of bank robbery by Jesse & Frank James & gang, who lived in Kearney, MO next town over, by the way the bank has to this date a mural painted on its 4 walls of the bank robbery) I was one of 3 Jews on campus the only POOR Jew, to this day anyone at Jewell that was there back then knows me only as Rabbi! All my Jewell clothes had the Will ell blocked out leaving the above words in red!
I taught in Polo, MO 1 year then Plattsburg, MO 2 years, then to CT in 1973, where I taught Elementary Physical Education!
I retired from teaching in 2000 and coaching 2002.
I became a UCONN WBB season tix holder in 1998 and my passions are the UCONN Ladies and my NY Yankees!
Way too much info...........but you get a hint why I'm sort of psycho!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom