OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like horse racing and New England sports so when the time came to choose a handle, it seemed obvious to go with the name of the best New England-based handicap horse. Waquoit won of the most exciting races I've ever seen, the 1987 Massachusetts Handicap, beating the great Broad Brush who had won the Santa Anita Handicap earlier that year. Amazing race call, as well.

Reaction Score
J66 = nickname from what people thought my initials looked like on internal memos (long time ago)
kicker has to do with my martial arts avocation

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
No big mystery with mine. About 9 years ago, we moved to a small town, outside of Winchester, in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, in Virginia. As for my avatar, I served with the 1st Cavalry Division, many years ago, and my son is now with the 3rd Cavalry Regiment...

One of my favorite parts of the country, too.

Reaction Score
Bif How in the world did you do that? No don't tell me I'm sure I wouldn't understand. Thanks

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I like horse racing and New England sports so when the time came to choose a handle, it seemed obvious to go with the name of the best New England-based handicap horse. Waquoit won of the most exciting races I've ever seen, the 1987 Massachusetts Handicap, beating the great Broad Brush who had won the Santa Anita Handicap earlier that year. Amazing race call, as well.

That was an awesome finish. That also was the first and only race I ever bet money. My drunk uncle just watched me bet $ 1500 on Creme Freche. Took me 4 years to recover.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I live in the (Piedmont) Triad region of North Carolina, and I'm a huge John Wayne fan ;)
John Wayne and I share something in common- our Birthday! :) he was the best! I have many of his movies!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Mine is relatively obvious - Geno just makes me crazy. In the early years when I jumped on the band wagon in the early mid 90's. I would hear some sound bites and I really didn't like him very much. The more I followed him and the program- well- hence my handle.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

I'm reading Ruffian- Burning from the Start. What a horse. What a shame.

Reaction Score
Mine is also not that difficult to figure out. WillTalk. Will is the shortened part of my first name and by what I am called. Talk is self explanatory. Everyone that knows me knows that Will will talk. I have never been shy about expressing my opinions and I have plenty on about every subject under the sun. The forums sites on the internet can count themselves fortunate that I really do not like to write. It takes entirely too much effort to explain concepts to the degree and depth that I would prefer. My writing skills do not reach that level of competency so you should all count yourselves lucky that I am unable to post as Willwrite.

Reaction Score
When I first started lurking I thought I was the biggest UCONN fan out there so I thought I bled HUSKYBLUE.
Well that was taken (and I realized that there were some diehards here), so I signed on as huskybloo.
When we moved to a new site, me being the tech-idiot I am couldn't sign on and changed my name to huskyblooz.
My favorite artist is Stevie Ray, so it kinda fits.

I still say I love my Huskies more than everyone!

Reaction Score
University of Connecticut at Avery Point. The only UCONN branch campus with it's own athletic department. I live just outside the campus. It is a beautiful campus with a great view overlooking Long Island and Fisher's Sound. They have D3 Junior College Men's and Women's Basketball and D2 Junior College baseball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
University of Connecticut at Avery Point. The only UCONN branch campus with it's own athletic department. I live just outside the campus. It is a beautiful campus with a great view overlooking Long Island and Fisher's Sound. They have D3 Junior College Men's and Women's Basketball and D2 Junior College baseball.
Avery Point is a very pretty spot. I was glad when the university started investing in it. It could be a real jewel for the school.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
BigBird is an amalgam of my rather large size (make my UConn tee shirt a 4X), and the Redbirds of Illinois State University (B.A. '72, M.A. '73). It has nothing to do with Sesame Street that I know of. Besides, yellow isn't my good color...

Reaction Score
I live in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, after growing up, okay, being raised, in Milford (left in 79)

Reaction Score
My initials are really JS. Long ago, in a hurry to make my first post (a retort to a Stanford fan/troll who was lording it over the UConn fans about academics), I lacked the intellect to think of anything more imaginative. Thereby proving his point.

When anyone professes their great intellect, they rarely are--obviously you don't lack in that area or imagination!!!

Reaction Score
Aime' Bonpland was VonHumboldt's assistant in their trek through northern and western South America 220 years ago. Their adventures and their discoveries dwarf in scale and importance the work of Lewis and Clark. Bonpland was Govinda to VonHumboldt's Siddhartha. He was a follower who sought to learn and then record the complexities of the world around him. He was cautious, (I followed the Boneyard Board for three years before joining) and while mountain ranges, rivers, lakes, counties, towns, colleges and an ocean current have been named for VonHumboldt, Bonpland's name (although he colated the thousands upon thousands of bits of scientific information that made his partner famous) all but escapes notice. There is something sublimely wonderful about that, and being in the sciences myself I thought that he deserved a little fame. (I use his name elsewhere as a contributer to other collections and exchanges of information).

One humorous fact about him is that he never had time to marry until he was approaching old age, and he then sought out a women who could help him to organize and record the data that he had gathered in his lifetime of study. The woman he found was reported to have had exceptional clerical skills and apparently they were happy together. As a man with a powerful wife and several accomplished daughters I enjoy occasionally reminding them of the dedication that Aime's bride showed in helping her husband to complete his life's work. I do that however while I'm standing close enough to a door so that I can make a quick exit.

Reaction Score
Initially attracted by a coach's wild antics and the amazing play of kids named Taurasi and Moore, I loved longtime (and lurked) before getting the gumption to join the BY. It was a bit uncomfortable, because I had absolutely NO UConn connections other than loving the game they played. I felt like Valentine Michael Smith, intruding into the world of others. As an outlier, a personal avatar seemed out of the question, it would be meaningless to strangers. So I chose what I thought would be a thoroughly ingratiating nom de guerre that would fit in well and slide under the radar. well, you asked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As some may have guessed, it was our dog's name. When we got his papers from the breeder we discovered that all his family members were named for characters in the Tolkien books and for some strange reason Frodo was available, so it seemed like the obvious choice.

Reaction Score
First name is Vincent, middle is Raymond, I was 56 at the time I made the handle--hence, Rayvin56...

Reaction Score
Since you asked...here is my story of the "Jackalope".

In the summer of 1981, between college graduation and graduate school, I got a job as a counselor on a Teen Tour. This Teen Tour was an 8 week trip, mostly living off of buses and cooking / camping at many of the cities and national parks in the Western US. I had to supervise 8 campers and got a free, all expenses paid trip of the Western US, along with $25 a week for my trouble. I had the time of my life, and it was a great thing to do before facing "reality".

I ended up on a tour which had about 60 15 year old boys and girls. The boys were OK. The girls were somewhat spoiled 15 year olds, which surprised me since this was a camping trip and anything but luxurious. The female counselors had a lot of trouble keeping these girls in line. They complained about everything, and always tried to one-up each other.

One of the activities, a few weeks into the trip, was a 5 mile hike in the Badlands. The kids self-selected in groups of 8 and counselors were assigned to lead each group. One of the female counselors was stuck with 8 of the most annoying girls, and begged me to take her place. She said that the girls might be less of a PITA if they had a male counselor. Counselors were given walkie-talkies (this was way before cell phones) and we all set out on the hike.

One of the girls asked me about the rabbit with horns that she saw displayed in many of the gift shops out west. If you have ever been out west, you must have seen this ubiquitous taxidermy creation. The Jackalope is a stuffed western jack rabbit (either full body or just the head) with an antelope's antlers grafted onto the head. Totally made up, but these girls didn't know that. I told the girls that these Jackalopes are very real and very dangerous! But, not to worry, they were also rare.

About two miles into the hike, the complaining started. "How much more do we have to hike? I'm tired! Can we turn back? What's for dinner? I'm hungry! Isn't Steph (their counselor) a B-tch!" I let this go on for a while and inspiration struck. I squelched the walkie-talkie and pretended to answer it. "What's up? Are you sure? What should we do? That will keep them safe? OK, got it!"

I then told the girls that the park rangers just called and that someone had just seen a small Jackalope herd . The park had issued a warning. What we needed to do was to quickly get back to the park info building. We also had to keep our hands up in the air and stomp our feet. By stomping our feet, we will make enough noise to keep these Jackalopes away. Snakes were also an enemy of Jackalopes. If we kept out hands in the air and waved them, Jackalopes would think they were snakes and that would also help keep them at bay.

I led them back to the info center stomping our feet and waving our hands in the air. We must have looked pretty ridiculous! When we got back to the center, one of the park rangers came over to me and asked why we were stomping and waving. The girls had gone to the bathroom. When I told him what I had done, he started laughing! He laughed so hard tears were coming out of his eyes and he couldn't catch his breath. Soon, it was time for us to leave and someone fetched the girls out of the bathroom. I saw the ranger I had told about the jackalopes still laughing, but now with a group of fellow rangers. They all smiled and waved to us as we left.

For the rest of the summer, the girls would tell people about their jackalope scare and how I saved them. I don't think anyone told them the truth, and so far as I know they went home thinking Jackalopes were real. They also never gave me any more grief for the rest of the summer.

That is how my Jackalope handle came about. My avatar is a picture of Rufus, our very old guinea pig. He is much loved by my two daughters (22 and 20).
I too LMAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman